Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechrispc
Durban, SouthAfrica (Soon)

Loc: London, UK
Prozac and Mushrooms
    #1822937 - 08/17/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I had 1.5g of dried cubensis yesterday to see if it would work with Prozac. I have been on Prozac for 1 week, plenty of time for it to be in my system. The trip was a fairly mild one. Although for 1.5g I would expect it to be so. There were black and white closed eye visuals. Slight breathing of solid objects. The newer sensation was the fact it felt very MDMA like in the first 2 hours. Followed by three hours of semi LSD like feelings that were not strong.

All in all it was an excellent experience, and the Prozac did not negate from any of it. Infact I would go as far as to say that the Prozac added a little euphoria to it.

I have order some more cubensis, there legal to buy in the UK. So I shall try double my dose this bank holiday weekend. We shall see how the experience differs.

--------------------
"We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our
thoughts."

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

ChrisC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheCaterpillar
Fungivore

Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: chrispc]
    #1823164 - 08/17/03 03:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

SSRI's actually take quite some time to establish themselves into your system. It's not surprising that you can experience the effects of shrooms after only a week on Prozac. I'll relate to you my experience;

Two years ago I was debilitated by severe depression, anxiety and panic attacks. Celexa was prescribed to me at a low dose, and I went to counseling to help me cope with my day to day life. It took quite some time for the drug to help with my symptoms, about 1 1/2 to 2 months. This is not unusual, according to Dr. David D. Burns of "Feeling Good - The New Mood Therapy"; "Prozac may not become effective for five to eight weeks."

The Celexa dosage was eventually increased to 40mg, and I continued my counseling until I finally regained control of my life. Determined that my brain was finally stable, I was eager to experiment again with recreational drugs. It was then when I discovered the untold side effects of the SSRI. Although alcohol and marijuana weren't effected too much, psychedelic drugs such as mushrooms and lsd were. The hallucinogenic properties were gone, and I was only left with light body effects.

Finally, after two years, I am in the process of quitting Celexa. The withdrawal symptoms are hell. Nausea, dizziness, headaches, insomnia, the list goes on. Soon, though, I will be able to enjoy the sacred mushrooms again.

So I guess what I'm trying to conclude is that Prozac WILL eventually negate the effects of shrooms. More importantly however, is the fact that if you are taking Prozac then I'm guessing you are dealing with certain medical issues, and it is much wiser to relieve these symptoms before experimenting with recreational drugs. Bad trips aren't fun, and panic attacks due to low serotonin levels certainly make them worse. So please, play safe.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: chrispc] * 1
    #1823534 - 08/17/03 05:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That prozac is going to make you prozac-dependant, you know - they'll be gettin a steady flow of cash from you for the rest of your artificially-happy life.

lol sorry to be so cruel but I dismissed my prozac years ago (regardless of whether or not it was a good idea, socially..).

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinechrispc

Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: TheCaterpillar]
    #1823538 - 08/17/03 05:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm quite fine with mushrooms. The Prozac is prescribed for depression that is not linked to drugs, but work. So no need to worry. Also it looks like Prozac is uneffected by Psilocybin look at:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info4.shtml

--------------------
"We are what we think.
thoughts."

ChrisC

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: chrispc] * 1
    #1823570 - 08/17/03 05:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that's not what I'm talking about....

I'm saying PROZAC (even for a person who DOES NO DRUGS) IS A MONEY-MAKING-SCAM! Sure maybe it makes you feel a little better, but it hurts your wallet, and if you ever want to stop... back down you go, back down to the level you were at before you started the shit.

It isn't a solution to a problem, in my opinion - it is an exploitation (and a nice "smoke and mirrors" vanishing act for your depression - its not gone, its being obscured) of a misunderstood problem that is making people billions of dollars.

On top of that, just TAKING a pill made for depression every day can keep you depressed because "damn look at this.... i'm all fucked-up so i gotta take these pills.."

I'd better stop there heh just at least don't let 'em continue to raise your dosage..

re: mushrooms and prozac:
I recall my trips being very intense when I was on that shiz..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (08/17/03 05:25 PM)

Offlinechrispc

Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: Strumpling] * 1
    #1823578 - 08/17/03 05:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Luckly I live in the UK where it's practically free. As I pay my NI stamps. But yeah point taken.

--------------------
"We are what we think.
thoughts."

ChrisC

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1823643 - 08/17/03 05:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Whether or not its costing you a lot, they're making a boatload from people supporting their business by continuing to use their product. lol I'd better shut this rant off quickly >click<

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: Strumpling]
    #1823726 - 08/17/03 06:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I was on celexa for a while (about a year) and came to a conclusion: it sucks.  It doesnt seem to help with the depression, although this could just be in my case.  It just made me more apathetic and gave me kind of a "fuck it all" attitude.  I may not have felt depressed anymore, but i still wasnt active and still didnt give a shit.  My advice is to find a way other than using experimental drugs to get through these tough times.  Meds are given out far to quickly by many shrinks, most times completely unnecessarily.  To be honest, what worked for me was a nice mushroom trip.  It gave me a new perspective on my life and ive been in a much better mindset ever since (this was 3 months ago).  So what im saying is: find another way to get yourself out of this depression and you wont have to worry about side effects. :smile2:

also, read this, i found it the other day:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F10715FC3C550C748CDDA10894DB404482

OfflineDannyBoy
ShroomEnthusiast

Loc: South East, U.S.A.
Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: ]
    #1823942 - 08/17/03 07:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Strumpling....SSRI's like prozac can be amazing tools to get better. Sure the pills are costly and it makes you more or less dependant on the drug, BUT it's not exactly hard to get off of it when your treatment is over. Sure, if your suddenly stop taking your meds you will hurt and feel sick...thats why you SLOWLY taper the dosage until you can stop taking them without the withdrawl effects...and then after that you can live unmedicated.

Whats the problem with that?

--------------------
"It has been said that kids say the darndest things, but so would you if you had no education"

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1823969 - 08/17/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"Whats the problem with that?"

Nothing man.. nothing at all - good luck with those substances, guys - and happy healing.

Just remember that there's some bigwig making a fuckin fortune off those happy-pills

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (08/17/03 07:28 PM)

OfflineTheCaterpillar
Fungivore

Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: DannyBoy]
    #1824056 - 08/17/03 07:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The problem with SSRI's is that they're marketed as the "happy cure-all". They seem to be given to anyone, for whatever little problem people have, and surely the pharmaceutical companies don't mind. Doctors should be taking more discretion over who they give them to. I am not, however, dismissing them entirely. They have helped me tremendously to overcome serious depression, coupled with other ailments due to low serotonin levels. However, I have also received beneficial treatment from therapy, meditation, yoga and exercise that has enabled me to gain more control over my mood and to help me deal with future panic attacks. Taking Celexa without any other treatments would have lead to not only physical dependence but mental dependence as well.

I am speaking by experience and opinion alone. The choices you, ChrisC, take are all yours. I'm glad to hear that mushroom use will be unaffected by Prozac. All the best.

Offlinechrispc

#1825503 - 08/18/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well I'll continue with my Prozac use for a bit.

--------------------
"We are what we think.
thoughts."

ChrisC

Offlinechrispc

#1825511 - 08/18/03 08:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheCaterpillar said:
Bad trips aren't fun, and panic attacks due to low serotonin levels certainly make them worse. So please, play safe.

Do mushrooms give you low serotonin levels?

--------------------
"We are what we think.
thoughts."

ChrisC

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
Re: Prozac and Mushrooms [Re: Strumpling]
    #1825516 - 08/18/03 08:45 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Strumpling said:
that's not what I'm talking about....

I'm saying PROZAC (even for a person who DOES NO DRUGS) IS A MONEY-MAKING-SCAM! Sure maybe it makes you feel a little better, but it hurts your wallet, and if you ever want to stop... back down you go, back down to the level you were at before you started the shit.

It isn't a solution to a problem, in my opinion - it is an exploitation (and a nice "smoke and mirrors" vanishing act for your depression - its not gone, its being obscured) of a misunderstood problem that is making people billions of dollars.

On top of that, just TAKING a pill made for depression every day can keep you depressed because "damn look at this.... i'm all fucked-up so i gotta take these pills.."

I'd better stop there heh just at least don't let 'em continue to raise your dosage..

re: mushrooms and prozac:
I recall my trips being very intense when I was on that shiz..

I get my SSRI's on a health coverage, and it doesn't cost much at all for me. And second if you knew what it was like to be severely depressed and have horrifying thoughts enter your head constantly, SSRI's would probably help you a lot more. If someone is just a little depressed there is better ways. But they can be of help to some people. SSRI's are not physically addicting at all.

OfflineTheCaterpillar
Fungivore

#1827091 - 08/18/03 04:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

chrispc said:
Quote:

TheCaterpillar said:
Bad trips aren't fun, and panic attacks due to low serotonin levels certainly make them worse. So please, play safe.

Do mushrooms give you low serotonin levels?

It's the low serotonin levels in your brain that are usually the cause of depression. The reason for this may vary, from stress to life-changing events. Very low levels can cause severe anxiety and panic attacks. I was just saying that if you're prone to attacks than you should avoid mushroom trips. Only because you don't want a panic attack during a trip. Prozac will help counteract attacks, as will benzo's. Anyways you probably won't have to be concerned about this if you've never had an attack.

Offlinechrispc

#1830642 - 08/19/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I have only ever had attacks once. But yeah point taken.

--------------------
"We are what we think.
thoughts."

ChrisC

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies