Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
The Power in this World...
    #1822389 - 08/17/03 10:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've been thinking about this... how it is a lot harder for just one person to hold a lot of power than it was back in the day. We have built up so many checks and balances, our system so interconnected that no one person really has that much power..

Granted, there is obviously a great difference than the power that George Bush has as compared to the power some homeless man has, but this system is so vast.. it is hard for just one person to make such a huge impact, hard for one to hold it all in his hands..

This seems to suggest we are going towards some kind of collective consciousness, since power is something that definitley seperates us.. it has been a gradual process, but i think that is definitely the direction it is heading, as the boundaries between people have been broken down..

Hard to say, though, this isn't really something I've thought much about, just sort of occured to me right now.. what do ya'll think?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenubious
1up on the rest

Loc: Canada
Re: The Power in this World... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1822462 - 08/17/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

This seems to suggest we are going towards some kind of collective consciousness, since power is something that definitley seperates us.. it has been a gradual process, but i think that is definitely the direction it is heading, as the boundaries between people have been broken down..

Where is this suggested in the observation of 'power' in today's global community?

I'm not following..

--------------------
No one knows the worth of innocence till he knows it is gone forever, and that money can't buy it back. Not the saint, but the sinner that repenteth, is he to whom the full length and breadth, and height and depth, of life's meaning is revealed. Good and evil loose all objective meaning and are seen as equally necessary and contrasting elements in the masterpiece that is the universe.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: The Power in this World... [Re: nubious]
    #1822479 - 08/17/03 11:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

people still got power. some more than others. Those with alot of power seem to bind together to make an ultimate super power ;]

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1822730 - 08/17/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

it's an interesting thought.

right now i don't see any signs saying we are moving towards a collective consciousness, but perhaps my eyes are just not open enough or i am not reading the right signs.

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #1822870 - 08/17/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

jeeez, haven't yall heard? There are 13 black nobility families who control all the wealth and power. *tsk tsk*

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: The Power in this World... [Re: chodamunky]
    #1822974 - 08/17/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I know people still have power, that isn't the point. The power that was once held in only a few's hands are spread out thinly over a lot of people. When power is spread out over so many people that it is basically useless, as it will be soon enough (unless some force somehow takes a position where they can effectively control everyone), no one will be able to use power as a means of getting ahead..

I think what I meant about this leading to the collective consciousness is that we would realize this, and that the only way of getting ahead would be to work together, etc. Power is one of the walls that keep us seperate from each other, and as it will be effectively gone, we will begin to merge...

Like I said, this idea I just started forming, so it is has holes.. but maybe we can all work together to form the idea into something, in the true spirit of collective consciousness... hehe
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #1823383 - 08/17/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Fascinating!

I think the motives people have for achieving power is the greatest concern.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: The Power in this World... [Re: NariusFractal]
    #1823402 - 08/17/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"it is hard for just one person to make such a huge impact, hard for one to hold it all in his hands.. "

Good. maybe we'll learn how to accept ourselves and quit trying to control everything else.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: The Power in this World... [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1825210 - 08/18/03 04:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
Good. maybe we'll learn how to accept ourselves and quit trying to control everything else.

Exactly. That's what I'm talking about; working together as a species instead of trying to control others..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1825355 - 08/18/03 06:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I dunno, I think it might be worse since i really don't know who has control. Before you knew, it was a monarchy, church, etc, but at least it was public. Now their might be secret societies bent on controlling things.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
    #1825407 - 08/18/03 07:31 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
The power that was once held in only a few's hands are spread out thinly over a lot of people.

Not as long as Bush is in the white house :wink:  And as long as there are programs like the one that only gives aid to schools that teach abstinance-only sex ed, or what about not giving highway funding to states with a lower-than-21 drinking age?  Or what about discouraging states to take any action to decriminalize drugs, or to allow same-sex marriage or civil unions?  Or what about Bush & Co. deciding they wanted to invade Iraq, damn the consequences, damn the U.N., even though they didn't have very much support at all (not to mention evidence!)?  As long as these and other discriminatory and small-mind people and programs are in place, a lot of power will still remain centralized.  Sorry to make this political, but I think it is valid.  There are 'incentives' to go along with what big government/corporations want, and penalites if you don't.  Sure you have choice, but it makes it pretty hard to do your own thing.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Edited by neutralizer (08/18/03 07:32 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: The Power in this World... [Re: neutralizer]
    #1825794 - 08/18/03 11:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

There have been secret socities involved behind the scenes for centuries..

Bush is definitely trying to put it so that he can have a lot of control and power in his and the people behind him's hands, but people really aren't going for it, the system is too developed to let it happen.

Anyways, I was saying that as long as some group doesn't effectively manage to take back a lot of the power, but I don't think Bush will be the one to do it....
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#1826864 - 08/18/03 03:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The power that was once held in only a few's hands are spread out thinly over a lot of people.

You actually believe that? If you haven't noticed, our planet is becoming rapidly globalized. Globalization equals centralizing power to a few individuals who sit on a board while everyone else has relatively no say on key decisions. For example, look at the amount of companies merging or buying each other out (MSNBC, AOL/Time Warner and soon to follow most of the air lines). You may feel you have power because you live in a 1st world nation, but remember that millions of people are living day to day with little food or water. I can't see them having any sort of signifcant "power" or influence in this world.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1826892 - 08/18/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What I was talking about is the power that has always existed in the hands of a few, it is now full of so many checks and balances and in the hands of a lot more people than it was back in the day..

Sure, corporations are big and everything, but it isn't just one guy running everything, they are all chartered, have boards, etc.. sure, just like Enron, people can take advantage of that, but I'm talking about the general trend here...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#1826933 - 08/18/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What I'm saying is that your theory is incorrect, these "checks and balances" are phony, it's a show put on for the masses. I'll use Bush as an example, he does whatever the people who are running things behind the curtain tell him to do. The UN which is basically all the power in the world centralized, got flipped off by George and he still invaded 2 countries, still is funding the Star Wars program, still they refuse to sign the Kyoto (sp?) treaty. I don't get what yer saying man, we may feel like we have a say in things but in actuallity, and generally speaking, we are still the same powerless people who were in medieval times paying taxes and following rules the king made. If the power was more spread out like you suggested, then I think the world wouldn't be in such a shitty state it is in now. Clear headed individuals would make sure the wealthy morons running countries and corporations would not take advantage of their positions and destroy our planet and start wars.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1826980 - 08/18/03 03:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah yeah yeah, people, power, funny games.. fuck it, I'm tired.

Obviously, people are still on the power trip, but they don't get away with it so easily now.. everything Bush is doing is seen for what it is almost everywhere in the world.... I think people are finally starting to wake up in America, too.

The UN as all the power in the world centralized? Ha. I guess it is the closest thing to global, centralized power, but it isn't very powerful, and it isn't doing a lot of evil things right now... it seems that they are the ones pushing Global Peace, environmental protection, and humanity.. The only thing really bad about the UN is the fact that it isn't powerful enough.

Obviously, what I mean is that power is still here, but it isn't so easy to misuse it as it once was. Obviously, there is still corruption and scamming going on, a lot of behind close doors, but things are starting to open up, and you can't very well hide in the light in front of millions of people...

If the world is in a shitty state, it is only because this is a transition period.. something has to open people's eyes, and it is already starting to happen. The world isn't so terribly bad as the media likes to make it seem.

The media is motivated by what sells, and they cast quite a lot of shifting illusions on what really is to sell things. If people are afraid the world is fucked up and things are constantly going wrong, of course they are going to buy the newspapers and tune into the news to find out what is happening, what got blown up.. and, of course, it is the media that planted that seed in the first place..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1827354 - 08/18/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Money equals power in my book's (hence why i hate money.) However, everything run's on money and its spread to everyone, one cannot be without money in todays society, in other words, A majority precentage of the worlds money cant be moved into the isolation of a single holder.

I mean, basically, what once was, will never be possible again, one man cant really make a difference (without money!).

However, i dont think boundaries between people are breaking down. Physical boundaries, yes. People are still world's apart socially/politically and in some instance's, i dont see any progression of acceptance.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1827469 - 08/18/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

People blow things up. People kill each other. The media does not make that up. They do decide what is discussed on the evening news, but....

And why is this "oneness" you talk about a good thing? I have never been able to understand that.

And yes, I have done shrooms.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Edited by sirreal (08/18/03 05:54 PM)

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#1827518 - 08/18/03 06:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The only thing really bad about the UN is the fact that it isn't powerful enough. 

haha! I knew you would say that, looks like CNN has done it's job. As much as the media would like you to think, the UN is NOT on your side, it's a precursor to the One World Government and the whole point of Bush ignoring the UN was to get reactions like yours, "They're not powerful enough, we need a bigger power to keep the peace and save the environment.." That is exactly what people said after the League of Nations (which had like 25 countries in it) was proven to be not powerful enough to keep things in order after the WW II.  Now the UN has almost every country there and the next step up is to set up a single ruling government to tell other nations what laws they can or cannot pass, how they should handle certain political issues, etc.  Now ideally, a One World Government could work very well but as we all know, Man centralizing power on a global scale is a disaster waiting to happen. Just imagine somebody like Bush (or a bunch of Bushes sitting around a table) ruling the world... :thumbdown:

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1828146 - 08/18/03 09:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Good points. Greater centralization and increase of power = greater chance for corruption, less accountability and a greater prize for those who lust after power. The U.N. is too far removed from the common man and is totally lacking in any democratic check (as in demos - the common people; the masses) on it's power. Sure the despots and tyrants representing almost all the oppression in the world get to vote, but isn't that like having the don's of various families colluding to form a syndicate?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds