Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Pelliculosa vs Silvatica
    #1822343 - 08/17/03 11:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hi there, it's my understanding that Pelliculosa is much more common and prolific than Silvatica. I read several posts that said that one could find several thousand Pelliculosa, or a few Silvatica. Is that to mean that Pelliculosa is a lot more common and prolific? They look almost alike except for the spore size, and they favor similar environments, so in a way it doesn't make sense to me that one would be a lot more plentiful than the other. It would be like saying that subcubensis is more or less plentiful than cubensis (is this true as well?)

Since libcaps usually occur on private land, and Silvatica occurs in wood substrates (more likely to occur on public land, like near woods), it would probably be less risky for someone to look for Silvatica before looking for libcaps. However, one of mjshroomer's post said that Silvatica is extremely rare. I think that he also said that Pelliculosa is prolific (several thousand species in one spot). Stamets mentioned in PMOTW that Pelliculosa can sometimes be found by the thousands, but he doesn't mention how prolific or common Silvatica is.

Thanks a lot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Pelliculosa vs Silvatica [Re: megaman3]
    #1825340 - 08/18/03 08:20 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The thousands of specimens of P. pelliculos which Paul (an ex logger) and I are refferring to occur in clearcuts where alder trees sprout up in the PNNW form Lake Takinitch in Oregon to the Cascade to Olympuic Range in Washington and some of Idaho. They appear approximately one to three years at\fter the burn-off and before the alder grow to ten feet or more. and it is not by the thousands byuuit by the hundreds of thousands.

Only problem today is that the clear cutrs are being ended due to the spotted Owl. Also when they are in those clear cuts a one to two foot walk into the rainforest and they completely disapper. IT is the smashed alder which they feed off of. Silvatical is similar but is also like P. tropicalis is to Copeladnia cyanescens or P. fimetaria is to P. stuntzii.

If you were to find some in the woods it would be a msall colony of a dozxzen or so small specimens. Not large patches which occur here int he PNW.

mj

They are also in some northern european countries.

mj

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: Pelliculosa vs Silvatica [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1825410 - 08/18/03 09:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

> and it is not by the thousands byuuit by the hundreds of thousands

Holy shit!!  Did you take pictures of this amazing occurence?  It seems so unique that someone should have photographed it!  Hundreds of thousands of mushrooms in one place, wow!  Must be beautiful!  Also, since they contain very little psilocyn, I would assume that you could dry them and they would retain their potency for a very long time.  You would be set for life in terms of access to psilocybin!  LOL the street value would be millions.

> If you were to find some in the woods it would be a msall colony of > a dozxzen or so small specimens. Not large patches which occur here > int he PNW

Well that's a little more encouraging.  Do you think it would be plausible to find several of those small patches if one were to walk for several hours in the woods, or are Silvatica just very rare and only occur in rare small patches?

Btw do Silvatica ONLY grow on alder, or on other wood as well, in your experience?  According to Stamets' PMOTW, Silvatica grows "gregarious but not cespitose on wood debris or on wood chips or in well-decayed CONIFER substratum in the fall".  If I'm not mistaken, alder is deciduous and not coniferous, so that would mean that Silvatica is able to grow on both conifer debris and deciduous debris.  Is that right?

The book also says that Pelliculosa grows on well-decayed conifer substratum (like Silvatica).  He then says that Pelliculosa is "often seen along paths in conifer forests and along abandoned logging roads that are actively being recaptured by alders and firs".  I assume that firs are coniferous and that alders are deciduous, so that would mean that Pelliculosa grows on many types of wood, right?  I find it a tad confusing how he stresses the presence of alders, right after mentioning that Pelliculosa grows on conifer substratum.  It's almost like he is contradicting himself  :smile:

Thanks!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Pelliculosa vs Silvatica [Re: megaman3]
    #1825547 - 08/18/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I posted some images last fall of such a location only it was one year early. There were in the images I posted a few hundred thousand Galrina autumnalis in the images. They are somewhere on this web. I went with Roadkill who sends his love. He is very ill and down with the flu after recovering from a strooke in early July. He

here are a few images from a lear cut.

Have good video but not digital.

http://mushroomjohn.com/species38a.htm

Search the search enjines. I personally can never find anything I post when I need to refer to it int he search enjine. And as I have stated over four yeears I am still computer stupid.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (08/18/03 11:09 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification