Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Loc: New Jersey U.S.
Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession
    #1822175 - 08/17/03 08:01 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Why does it seem to me like ever since the beggening of civilization man has just been obssessed with witnessing the 'end'. I mean it seems like every other year or so theirs the end of a calender and the people anticipate the worst.theylookfoward to awkward planetary allignemts just to see if it will bring the much awaited drastic doomsday everyone is just dying to see. I ve seen people drasticly rearange numbers in dates to somehow tell them theres a triple six in it or somehow and say THAT is the end of the world.

TO me, the only one i ever had an intrest on was the 2012 end of the Myan calendeder because theirs is a very acurate calander and they were able to predict events 1000 years ahead. But still cant imagine my life is so special that i have to decide between good and evil before the"cleansing" in 2012.

What does anyone else think also does anyone have intresting details about the Myan prophesies??

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: Spokesman]
    #1822194 - 08/17/03 08:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I think man wants to see the end time in his/her lifetime. Who wants to die knowing that others will go on beyond them. Every generation of chrisians seem to think revelation will be played out very soon, who wants to die knowing they will miss the return of Christ.

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1822262 - 08/17/03 10:14 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I asked my friend about he thinks the end of the world will happen in his lifetime and he started to give me a laundry list of reasons. So my first thought was that it is really easy for us humans to look at the negative. Then I asked him the question again (since he didnt' realy answer it) and he told me that he wants the end to happen so he will go out just like everyone else. *sigh*

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: kaiowas]
    #1822265 - 08/17/03 10:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

umm to "go out just like everyone else" would be dying a normal death instead of the gloryious dooms day event. I mean it sounds like he thinks hes so special that while everyone else before him dies of complications and old age, he wants to be the one to go out with the fist of god smashing his face.....lol, am i right?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1822276 - 08/17/03 10:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

lol yes yes yes.  He says he wants to see everything go up in flames, personally I think he doesn't know what he's REALLY saying, or asking for. yeah he was my buddy but he does think he is the shit, which led us to a friend ending argument (he "dismissed" me), oh hey too much info :smile: Me I want to live as long as possible so I can learn as much as possible.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1822281 - 08/17/03 10:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here is my armchair-psychologist explanation :smile:

I think it has to do with that old "ego" again... The curse of the human species is that we have essentially the same self-preservation program as all other animals, but we are also equipped with the capacity for reason and knowledge, and they tell us that each one of us is going to die and we can't do anything about it.

This troubles the ego so much that it gives rise to all kinds of neurosis. I think one of them is projection: perhaps death is not caused by the failure of the ego's survival plan after all, perhaps it's really inevitable because everyone is going die soon when the world ends. That gives a little comfort to the ego: "death is not my fault after all".

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #1822579 - 08/17/03 02:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I hate to say it, but I'm one of those rufus people that think we truely are living in the end times...not because of ancient prophecies or astrological alignment mind you, but simply because of something known as self-fullfilling prophecies. I've seen enough 'evidence' (refferring basically to no-named ingrades on the net who're pulling shit out their ass) to support these beliefs too...and if I get rambunctious (translation: bored) I might actually dig some if it up for you all so you can see what I mean.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1822657 - 08/17/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It is not an obsession, but a recognition.

Even the most primitive humans understood the concept of finity.  Its hard not to notice the difference between "meat" and "no meat".  They would have to know about death, too.  So, if all things eventually run out, even human life, what about the planet?  Or the universe?

logically examining the available evidence, anyone could conclude that the world will end someday.  It is a completely logical fear.

But if it makes anyone feel better, faith trancends logic and a lot of people have faith in eternity :smile:

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflineSpokesman
The HighPhilosopher

Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1822724 - 08/17/03 02:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah i understand this planet will end, because i belive Mars once could have had life, what i dont undrstand is why everyone thinks it will happen in their lifetime?, i mean when it turned 1900 people thaught it was the end of the world, also in 2000, and even in 1999 because they said there was 3 6's. I mean youll be amazed at how much evidance they can pull out to support their belief. And yet still here we are in the middle of a war that alot of people consider to be the begining of WW3 and the "final" war. When if looked at closely it really isnt anything compared to what the Jews were experincing in the holocaust, whos not to say that wasnt the "tribulation" talked about in the bible? after all, the bible WAS written by and for the Jews, it was untill after Jesus that they said to spread the Gospel of the Bible all across the world.

--------------------

Offlinefungulus

#1834201 - 08/20/03 05:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The world will end when the sun envelops it as it runs out of fuel in, oh, about 4 billion years. We may kill all life on the planet before then, though and that's another issue. I think it's all about balance. Civilizations and paradigms rise and fall. We are all self destructive to a point and it is only natural to visualize one's own death and maybe end-times predictions are just an egotistical response to that. A denial response(so you don't think about your own demise) or a disgust response(like that Tool song Aenima), disgust at what the world is or "what it has become". As far as people pulling shit out of their ass on the internet, nothing is new under the sun, those freaks just have a forum now, like this one. Keep stuff out of your ass and you'll be alright!

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1834592 - 08/20/03 07:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"Why does it seem to me like ever since the beggening of civilization man has just been obssessed with witnessing the 'end'  "
-------------------

Great question...  and why does the end have to be so tragic?

Since we are lucky to even have a glass [Swami],  why insist on looking at it as "half-emplty"?

:lipsrsealed:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1835959 - 08/21/03 02:56 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I pretty much agree with Rhizoid. I see the obsession as a projection related to the anticipation of ones own personal death. I've felt that way for a while now, but had never also considered also how comforting it must be for some people to choose to believe that they will not die alone, but with many, many others and it will be their unchangeable fate. Kind of takes oneself out of the picture in a way.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Humanity's Dooms-Day Obssession [Re: Jellric]
    #1835980 - 08/21/03 03:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've been reading the whole "infinity" saga of marvel... adam warlock, thanos, the cosmic beings, et al... all about doomsday. I think it's an archetype for awareness being born, not Rhizoid's death theory.. all must end before all can begin. to quote herman hesse:

"The bird fights its way out of the egg. The egg is the world. Who would be born must first destroy the world.The bird flies to God. That God's name is Abraxas."

used to be my sig...

when I was a small child I had a dream, I'm not sure if it was reoccurring
or not, but it left an indelible mark on me... it was about a ritual for a bomb, a bomb that ended everything and created this really odd indescribable feeling in me that I've never recaptured, not even with the drugs. it still scares me.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology