Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals
    #1356199 - 03/07/03 03:46 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

I know it might sound strange question. My mind though is making a clear distinction between a Rave Party(Festival) and a Psychedelic Trance Festival. Am I wrong? Are these same thing?
Lot of people call them the same.
At a psychedelic trance festival only psychedelic trance should be played. Do raves have psychedelic music only? Or what kind of music is it played there? Thanks.

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #1356355 - 03/07/03 04:52 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

I think there is less of an emphasis on psychedelia at a rave as opposed to a "Psychedelic Trance Festival." Raves have varying types of electronic music like house, techno, drum and bass and trance. There are still lots of people that trip out at raves but ecstacy does seem to be the drug of choice. Also, if I'm tripping I'd much rather hear some straight up techno rather than trance. You aren't in the U.S. are you? Because here, psychedelic trance festivals just don't happen. Raves don't even happen any more in my area.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1356370 - 03/07/03 04:56 AM (21 years, 27 days ago)

psytrance parties are a bit more relaxed, and not nearly as full of younger kids running around on E, although there's still some of that going on.....

I definitely prefer psy-parties over "raves."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #1356635 - 03/07/03 05:44 PM (21 years, 26 days ago)

alot alot of places will have multiple rooms like dnb-jungle, trance, house. i dont care what anyone says mdma is psychedelic for me. maybe not as much as lsd but you know...

i find the outdoor partys to be more "spiritual"
the last one i went to was outdoors , it was mainly electronica focused , but they had world , and tribal music there aswell. anbd some rock. it was a art music festival or somethin. but hey as long as the bass is bangin its all good.

its still a rave though you know???

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

Invisibledeprave
GrandmasterToker

Loc: DownUnder
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: A0999]
    #1359429 - 03/09/03 01:41 AM (21 years, 25 days ago)

ONE IS GOING TO SEE PAUL OAKENFOLD AND MIKE SCROGGS AND THE OTHER IS GOING TO A WAREHOUSE TO LISTEN TO THE LOCAL FLAVA SPIN SOMETHING THATS NOT MAINSTREAM shit my caps lock was on sorry, heh anyone the rave is the latter

--------------------

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE I LIKE TO WRITE STORIES

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: deprave]
    #1361457 - 03/09/03 08:05 PM (21 years, 24 days ago)

You might be right, though I think Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Inf. Mushroom are not very known and I think they play at Psytrance festivals.. And these festivals have to do more with this specific type of music. Psychedelic trance in the mean of trance music for psychedelics. I don't think all the electronic music is for this. Maybe I am wrong. I don't know too much about this also. :smile:)
  Anybody else might put some light into this? Thanks. :laugh:

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #1808568 - 08/13/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Raves have absolutely nothing to do with psychedelic trance parties. ..Raves are decadent techno parties where people go to eat drugs and stomp to the beat all night long (at least where i live). The perfect place for drug dealers and the likes.

A psy-trance party is not just some kind of rave where people eat psychedelics.

It's a gathering where people try to enter a psychedelic trance through dance, sound and the energy from the other freaks. It's not mundane as a rave. People dance together so they connect spiritually in the same state of mind, using the trance sounds as coordination into that state.  A good party can be one of the most incredible experiences of someone's life.

Goa Gil once said that the party is "a reunion of all friends that really feel the trance spirit. This is not just a disco in the forest, it's an iniciation. It's together as a tribe, offering to the cosmic spirit. The whole party becomes the offer, the music becomes the offer, the dance becomes the offer...The longer goes on the more the trance comes. And comes to a moment that every song is so perfect that every body and every mind keep connected as one in a cosmic orgasm..." (on Liquid Crystal Vision).

Understand that trance is not just another form of techno music. It has much much more to it. Something that cannot be explained through words. You got to go to a party and tune in to find out :tongue:!   

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #1808628 - 08/13/03 08:35 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hallucinogen and Infected usually play at trance parties, and they are very well known around the world. In fact they are amongst the biggest names in the trance scene nowadays.

I've seen infected mushroom at 'rave' flyers though. However, I doubt that hallucinogen is ever going to play at a 'rave'.

And of course in psytrance festivals there is only psy trance in the main floor and psychedelic ambient, dub, freestyle etc in the chill-out area...There can be alternative genre floors (house, techno, d'n'b) but that's unusual and only happens in big festivals with more than 3 days.

Simon Posford is coming to my country in october and make a Hallucinogen live act, along with Raja Ram who will be playing a dj set :laugh:. Can't wait for them anymore :wink: I'm hoping they will play live as shpongle in the chill-out too!   

Offlineneophyteshroomer
enthusiast
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: esin]
    #1809662 - 08/13/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

raves definately.....
DRUM N BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Make Sure You Bring A Towel!!!
..... You wanna get high?

Offlinewindowlicker42
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: neophyteshroomer]
    #1816025 - 08/15/03 03:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

im not big on trance in any form, so psytrance doesnt really appeal to me. "raves" however....i used to party every weekend, austin and houston had a great scene three four years back. a good party ("rave") has this incredible vibe, this energy that is unlike anything else. the dj is controlling the mind of every single person on the dancefloor, most of these people were either dosed or rolling face or both and it was so beautiful, all these party kids going nuts everybody together as one feeling the love...some of the best nights of my life.

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: windowlicker42]
    #1817965 - 08/15/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I can only add a few more tidbits to what Esin's already said. The main differences behind "raves" and Goa parties is behind the motivation of the events. Raves, at their bare essence, are dance parties. Goa parties, likewise, are dance parties but their intent goes a step further in that the motivation for all the music, decor and experiences within the event are geared toward inducing trance dancing. It is, of course, possible to trance dance at a rave...but it's not necessarily the motivation behind the rave. Most raves I've been to (eastern and midwestern US) tend to focus on the more popular forms of club music like house, techno, proggy trance, drum n bass, etc. Those in attendance tend to be DJ or artist-driven; peeps who've traveled to see particular artists perform. Rave promoters, in my experience, tend to worry less about decor and environment of the venue than with the actual artists performing. Goa parties aim to create a spiritual environment through the fusion of traditional forms of trance (trance dancing & meditation for example) with modern technological expression.

Another large difference between rave and Goa parties is the length of events. Goa parties can go for several days of non-stop trance spaces whereas many raves are only for one day or evening. Also, the general crowd you'd run into at a Goa party is much more diverse and (sorry to say it) more mature than typical urban raves. You'll find a larger variation of age, race and religion at Goa parties. You'll also tend to find a much more open attitude of acceptance in the Goa culture when it comes to dance and trance expression from the individual.

Drugs: they're at both types of parties...but at Goa events you tend to run into more psychedelic than other types. LSD, shrooms, DMT, weed, hashish, etc tend to be more on hand at Goa parties than raves which I've always run into speed, MDMA, nitrous, DXM, etc. The biggest difference here though...is the "openess" of use. I've been to raves where people are just running around screaming "pills for sale! pills for sale!" and having tons of people ask me throughout the night if I knew where to score [insert drug here]...whereas at Goa parties it's more of an understood thing that individual and responsible dosing is to be kept on the D/L. In all the Goa parties I've been to, I've yet to be approached by anyone asking for help finding any drugs. This is how it should be. Most Goa peeps don't care if you use drugs to enter a trance...our main goal is altering our consciousness through the trance dancing experience; some people need the help of a drug to shift their consciousness while many others don't. At Goa parties the motivation is making the shift into the trance space and to become one with that communal energy. This experience is quite possible at a rave, but Goa parties are designed to induce this state/experience on purpose.

Ever since becoming a Goa DJ and artist, I stopped going to raves. Goa is a community as much as it is a party. I simply prefer the people and lifestyles of those involved in the Goa culture over the Rave culture. Neither is better than the other...both are simply social situations that can be used positively or negatively...it's up to those in attendance as to how they're going to direction the energy. I've just found Goa parties to be much more enjoyable.

Love & Light,

Boppity

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: windowlicker42]
    #1817975 - 08/15/03 06:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

>>the dj is controlling the mind of every single person on the dancefloor,

Actually it's the producer of the music that the DJ is playing that is influencing the consciousness of the dancers. A DJ can only take credit for how well he or she programs the energy of the trance space...a DJ needs to know their tracks inside and out so they can sustain, build, peak and release the energy of the trance space they're creating. But a DJ cannot take credit for anything outside of that...unless he/she is spinning out tracks they've also produced. Too often you'll find DJ's taking credit for how awesome a song is...and they had nothing to do with it. Too many producers in all genres lose credit because of egotistical DJs taking credit for the power of the set they just mixed...and they didn't even write any of the music.

Love & Light,

Boppity

Offlinetwistedweather
ka-blammo

driving, pulsating, dreamy, electric [Re: Boppity604]
    #1818015 - 08/15/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

psytrance parties rock!!

been to a 5 day festival in Oregon, and not to long ago my friends attended a psytrance party in an old train tunnel abut 1/4 of a mile into the tunnel @ that

if you ever get the chance go to a psytrance festival, you will dance like you have never danced before

--------------------

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: Boppity604]
    #1818165 - 08/15/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm noticing more and more "ravers" getting sucked into the psy-scene and then wondering how they ever enjoyed going to "raves."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: Strumpling]
    #1818200 - 08/15/03 08:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

>>I'm noticing more and more "ravers" getting sucked into the psy-scene and then wondering how they ever enjoyed going to "raves."

It comes down to the individual. You can find someone at either type of party who just looks for a place to get high and listen to music. But you can also find trance dancers looking for a safe environment to let go and trance out. Neither style of party is better than the other...it's all up to how you approach and utilize what they have to offer. I've been to many "good" raves in my past...they were a lot of fun and they served the need I had for them to serve. I just find the overall attitudes of the people at Goa parties, as well as the music we dance to, to be much more focused on the spiritual side of the experience. But of course, spirituality is an individual relationship between a person and their reality...but at least at Goa parties the exploration of that relationship is much more encouraged and respected than at most raves.

Love & Light,

Boppity

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #1818610 - 08/15/03 11:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Is there a listing of regional psytrance parties (ala the old hyperreal)?

I used to rave in the early '90s, and I long to re-experience ecstatic dance, but I am a bit turned off on what the rave has evolved into. I suppose I am looking for something more intimate and spiritual. PM me if you know of any event listings.

Thanks friends!

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: Xochitl]
    #1819512 - 08/16/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yes there is, just visit the following site if you're in the US:

http://www.psytrance.us/

and the following for Global info:

http://www.psynews.org/

Love & Light,

Boppity

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #1821551 - 08/16/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

greatly appreciate it friend :smile: 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: Xochitl]
    #1821683 - 08/17/03 12:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yup - Boppity knows his shit :smile:

Psynews.org is fan-fuckin-TASTIC

--------------------

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: Raves v.s. Psychedelic Trance Festivals [Re: Strumpling]
    #1822179 - 08/17/03 06:06 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

1 year ago i went to a 3 days psychedelic trance festival in a greek village called "Naoussa". It was in the middle of nowhere in a beautiful forest! Unbelievable place! That's why the festival was called "the magical forest festival" ;-)
a shroomerite was there too (fluid),he can tell you for sure how magical it was :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom