Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins
    #1820047 - 08/16/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know if this has been mentioned.
Basicly don't freak out and throw out your stash it you see this.

Checkpoints phony, but arrests real
Ruse targets drugs, raises legal questions

By Tom Spalding
tom.spalding@indystar.com
August 8, 2003

Police have begun pretending to use illegal checkpoints in an effort to flush out people carrying drugs, a tactic that is drawing attention from the state's top civil liberties group.

A fake checkpoint went up Wednesday and Thursday on southbound I-65 near the Marion County line on the Northwestside, netting at least one driver who police said had marijuana.

A multiagency law enforcement team set it up so that any drivers hoping to avoid the bogus checkpoint must make an illegal U-turn or try to make an unsafe exit. Either way, officers stand ready to pull them over.

Authorities say they will let drivers go who have committed no crime -- but believe they'll catch their share of drug dealers and at least deter drug traffickers.

"All we're doing is observing any conduct," said Maj. Scott Robinett of the Marion County Sheriff's Department. "We set up traffic enforcement zones to interdict any illegally transported narcotics."

Attorneys said the ruse was legal, Robinett said, before officers moved ahead with the plan.

But the approach bothered John Krull, executive director of the Indiana Civil Liberties Union.

"What they're threatening to do is something illegal, in the hopes of pushing people to do an illegal activity," Krull said. "Obviously, I'd like to see our legal staff take a look. It might meet the letter of law, but it clearly violates the spirit."

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that drunken-driving roadblocks and random drug testing are allowed under the U.S. Constitution. But three years ago, the country's highest court, ruling in an Indianapolis case, refused to expand those roadblocks to include random checks for drugs.

Nationwide, fake drug checkpoints aren't new. News reports show they occurred in places such as Chattanooga, Tenn., in 1997 and southern Louisiana in 1994. And in 2002, the Missouri Supreme Court approved the use of phony roadblocks to catch drivers in possession of drugs.

In Marion County's operation, drivers come upon a sign reading "Narcotics checkpoint ahead" in both English and Spanish.

Marion County sheriff's deputies and park rangers, in marked and unmarked cars, wait for drivers to make illegal U-turns or commit other traffic violations in a two-mile stretch between 71st and 86th streets, giving police "probable cause" to make a stop and search the motorist's vehicle.

An officer in an ATV also regularly scoots along the interstate shoulder to see if anyone has thrown out drugs before getting to the checkpoint.

Robinett, who commands covert operations for the Sheriff's Department, said he hopes the public will see the stops as a benefit. Law officers involved are asking for consent to search vehicles when they feel they have probable cause to suspect a crime, he said. More fake checkpoints are in the offing along both I-70 and I-74.

This week, deputies set up the bogus checkpoints in northwestern Marion County and parts of Boone and Hendricks counties along the key artery from Chicago, a potential source of illegal drugs headed to Central Indiana.

In three hours Wednesday, police stopped 16 vehicles. Officials said a 39-year-old Lafayette woman was arrested on a preliminary charge of marijuana possession and received tickets after a deputy said he saw her drive south down I-65, see the signs, cross the median and turn into the northbound lanes.

A handful of other motorists received traffic tickets.

Numbers for Thursday's enforcement effort weren't immediately available.

Ann Stickford, project director for the Marion County Traffic Safety Partnership, which helps coordinate once-a-month DUI checkpoints, said she believes the public is getting used to the idea.

"They don't want impaired drivers on the road because they are a danger," she said. "Nobody has said, 'We wish you wouldn't catch drunk drivers.' "

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFileSoup
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1820147 - 08/16/03 03:08 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

cops = horse fuckers.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: FileSoup]
    #1820476 - 08/16/03 04:34 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

correction "smart horse fuckers"

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: d33p]
    #1820588 - 08/16/03 05:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

.......... unbelievable.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1821952 - 08/17/03 02:51 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I dunno about you guys,but I feel so much safer now that they got a dangerous marijauana addict on his way to a CONCERT off the street.

Don't these rat bastard pieces of shit have anything better to do than bust pot smokers going to music events?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: monoamine]
    #1822004 - 08/17/03 03:17 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What do you expect them to do, deal with real criminals?

That could be dangerous! Potheads are a peacefull, docile bunch. A safe score for a cop.

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1822304 - 08/17/03 09:08 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

resin said this in another forum and i agree--im settin up my own drug checkpoint signs and waiting by the side of the road :smirk: 

--------------------
:stash: + :bong: = :smile:

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: DellComputers]
    #1823479 - 08/17/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If someone really did that they would be the biggest rat bastard sack of shit of in the world.That's up there with being a narc in my book.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Don't be fooled by ruse narcotics checkpoins [Re: monoamine]
    #1824025 - 08/17/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thank You.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder