Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecodei
Stranger
newbie help
    #1819749 - 08/16/03 02:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

just wondering if anyone is familiar with the 'shroom wizards' guide to casing. he advises a half soil, half perlite bottom layer, the mycellium layer, and then a soil casing layer, sealing everything up and letting it sit for 7 days... which results in bad overlay.

deep scratching corrects and results in mycellium regrowth but there is no sign of pinning. is there any hope for this? how could it be corrected and put back on track? everything ive read contradicts his method and everyone seems to contradict each other anyway. 'as much moisture as possible!' vs 'dont overwater!'

question 1. are casings via his method hopeless and need to be disposed of or could they be salvaged

question 2. would 24 hours in the fridge initiate pinning

question 3. is there *1* comprehensive guide written by an actual mycologist that is the end all be all

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: newbie help [Re: codei]
    #1819789 - 08/16/03 02:56 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

if the link doesn't work just copy and paste in your address thingimopober

personally i would be afraid of using potting soil without a ph strip or tester and i would never use perlite in the bottom of my casing. but hey im newbie.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: newbie help [Re: codei]
    #1819816 - 08/16/03 03:04 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

are casings via his method hopeless and need to be disposed of or could they be salvaged

IMO the 'shroom wizards' tek sucks, but there is always a chance you might get something so long as contams have not set in.
Quote:

would 24 hours in the fridge initiate pinning

It would not hurt anything. Give it a try.
Quote:

is there *1* comprehensive guide written by an actual mycologist that is the end all be all

Yes, here it is. It's the best investment you'll make in this hobby.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinecodei
Stranger
Re: newbie help [Re: dog]
    #1827769 - 08/18/03 09:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

what can be used in place of vermiculite? oddly enough, it is not available at any store in my area. i heard perlite but according to reply #1 i heard incorrectly. will <substitute> be usable at every stage or do different substitutes need to be used

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation