Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
cobweb mold. solution?
    #1817340 - 08/15/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

please excuse me because i know that this is the wrong forum but for a good reason. i figured i needed to ask somebody with more advanced knowlege on this subjuct because i've search for the anwer but still no definite answers.
4 days ago i birthed 120 cakes, healthy cakes, after having dunked them for 24 hours. after 2 days there was very noticable growth. now its two days later and i have had to remove quite a few of them because of what most definitely cobweb mold. now either my eyes arent playing tricks on me or all of my cakes, every one of them, looks just slightly fussy and its hard to tell if its mycelial growth or just the infantile stages of this infectious intruder. could it be? and if so how did it infect all of my cakes? now the only way that i can figure it could have come in contact with my cakes at the same time is when i dunked them but, i'm not 100%. any advice? my real question is: if my cakes are all infected or slghtly infected are there any effctive ways to kill it at this stage? i have read many so called solutions bleach water misting, salt and salt water,and whathaveyou, those methods are questionable to me does anyone know or have any useful knowlege to hand down. thanks

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: cobweb mold. solution? [Re: fungusflip]
    #1817357 - 08/15/03 02:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

have you grown before?
The cakes will often be covered in a wispy white mycelium when being birthed.. Smell the cakes- do they smell alright? Not fishy? If so, you're fine.

It is implausible that all 120 cakes became infected with cobweb mold after being fully developed

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Re: cobweb mold. solution? [Re: ]
    #1817429 - 08/15/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yes i have experience with cakes not with cobweb. for the first two days i saw rapid growth activity lots of hyphal knots all over the cakes nd some rhizmophic little fingers here and there but now if i stare at them they look just slightly fuzzy? staight forward answers anybody?

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1817456 - 08/15/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well what do they smell like??
thats probably nothing at all

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1818008 - 08/15/03 06:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

smells a bit shroomy. theres not a foul smell. yet

--------------------

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1818262 - 08/15/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

lower your humidity and increase air change. that is most likely just fluffy mycelium. Wow, 120 cakes! you should go with poo and straw, and do like 10-20 jars of grain, and do some outdoor's in the great state of texas. It's probably your best bet, and with the least maintenence, and the easiest too! holy fuck, 120 cakes! thats a lot.

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1818340 - 08/15/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, you're fine then. the smell is important in discriminating between cobweb and mushie mycelium

btw, a pressure cooker would only cost you at tops 20 bucks if you look well ( ebay will get you a useable one ) and you could do whole grain millet or such ( brf isnt too efficient, but to each his own i suppose.. 120 cakes is a nice overkill though )

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1818516 - 08/15/03 10:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

maybe they arent all screwed but i am 100% sure that i removed several cakes that were definitely cobweb mold. i know exactly what hyphal knots and mycelium look like. also i dont use bfw i buy whole organic long grain brown rice and grind it up myself and sterilize my cakes in a 41 qt all american pc. by asking about some ways to fight off this unwanted pest i hoped to evoke some methods of killing it off. is there an effective way to kill it without harming the cakes. oh and just for the record i have someone else make all of my cakes and i have about 1200 going at once usually. i know its overkill big time but i have had poor results with bulk substrates and grain to grain innoculations. this is the first time i have ever had a problem that affected this many of my cakes at once

--------------------

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #1818882 - 08/16/03 12:55 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

more problems with bulk then with dealing with 1200 cakes at once...holy crap you must have either some really bad luck...ot the mushroom gods really dont want you to grow bulk.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1819572 - 08/16/03 11:14 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

theres really no effective way to stop it once it starts..
youve seen no clear answers because there simply are none. The stamets-ian rule to contamination is removing the healthy mushie mycelium from the contaminate, never the other way around

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

#1819709 - 08/16/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well i have decided to venture off on my own and do a bit of experimentation in light of the fact that there seems to be no known and effective means of killing off cobweb mold. how does this sound? what if i were to take the infected cakes and instead of misting them with peroxidated water,which some say has worked for them??, what if i were to take those cakes and dunk them again in a water and oxygen bleach solution for 24 hours? i have used this very same water/bleach method before to dunk my cakes in so i know its safe for the mycelium, i have never used that method for actually trying to get rid of a specific type of contamination from cakes that i know are infected. the water bleach dunk has, in my mind, always been utilized as a preventative or protective tool. could it also be useful for other applications? such as dunking contaminated cakes in a solution that will target the competitor and kill it while rendering the mycelium unharmed. i have a belief and it is; nothing is impossible. if a mind can concieve an idea, that idea or thought can then be manifested. that idea becomes a part of a "collective" consciousness or un- or sub- consciousness that all minds can tap into. so now that the seed has been planted it will eventually take root and then the idea is manifested. can this concept work? and if so how? it can be done we just dont knw how yet.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #1862232 - 08/29/03 09:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract