Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gamehendge
Atheistic Places * 1
    #18154924 - 04/23/13 11:33 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone know of any places that have a large percentage of atheists? I have googled this rather a lot and I mostly get census data which is helpful, but I want to know about specific cities or areas that are known to have a lot of atheists. The following figures show the percentage of people that "believe there is a God."

I want to someday live at a place that has a good chance of electing atheistic officials. Currently there are no open atheists in US Congress which I think is rather pathetic. I have lived in a predominantly Christian area my entire life and letting my atheism be known is a big no-no around many people. Out of hundreds of people I know I can only think of four or five open atheists, including my girlfriend.

Let's have a discussion on atheist demographics

--------------------

Sartre on conciousness: "a being such that in its being, its being is in question in so far as this being implies a being other than itself."
Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek
Phish videos and discussion!

Edited by The_Aviator (04/23/13 11:43 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: The_Aviator]
    #18154993 - 04/23/13 11:45 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Czech Republic.

Invisiblexanderofpella

#18154997 - 04/23/13 11:45 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

prime minister of australia is an atheist.

--------------------
[quote]sVs said:
Adorable overload is imminent.[/quote]

[quote]YSHServant  said:
You are on my turf when you are in the pub.[/quote]

[quote]ButteredToast said:
Shroomery 2012- Thread goes from discussing a possibly deceased member to posting nudes of her.[/quote]

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: xanderofpella]
    #18155015 - 04/23/13 11:49 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Most people in Denmark just go to church because it feels nice.

Vast swaths of Germany are probably mostly atheistic.

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: xanderofpella]
    #18155041 - 04/23/13 11:56 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I'm mostly considering English speaking places because I am learning my profession (engineering) in English. But Germany sounds appealing to me for many reasons.

Quote:

BeefheartisBetter said:
prime minister of australia is an atheist.

I did not know that. Upon further research approximately 1/4 Australians do not believe in a god. That is pretty good. Someday I will find a place with >50% atheists.

--------------------

Sartre on conciousness: "a being such that in its being, its being is in question in so far as this being implies a being other than itself."
Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: The_Aviator] * 2
    #18155284 - 04/23/13 12:44 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Why be an atheist? That's like submitting to religion.

-God exists.
-There is no god.

Neither of these two statements can be proved/disproved, so to believe one of them is an act of faith in itself.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: SWEDEN] * 2
    #18155333 - 04/23/13 12:56 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

SWEDEN said:
Why be an atheist? That's like submitting to religion.

-God exists.
-There is no god.

Neither of these two statements can be proved/disproved, so to believe one of them is an act of faith in itself.

As an atheist I am not asserting the non-existence of a deity as a fact. But rather I have not been presented any evidence so I do not consider it to be a rational position. In a similar way, I do not believe that there are unicorns on Jupiter. And I do not cite culture as evidence because that would be extremely fallacious.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Loc: Gamehenge
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: SWEDEN] * 2
    #18155338 - 04/23/13 12:58 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

It's not an act of faith to say there's nothing to suggest there might be a god. Based on all the available evidence, there's never been ANY definitive evidence that has even suggested there might be a god. Based upon that the logical position is atheism.

Anyway, atheism just means not theist, it's not even necessarily an assertion that there isn't a god. It's just the complete lack of god whatsoever.

Is it an act of faith to say there's no such thing as an invisible teapot which orbits the sun? Of course not, because based on all the available evidence there is nothing to even begin suggest such a thing is true.

Ask any atheist and most, if not all of them, will tell you that if there were sufficient evidence to suggest a god we'd all change our position.

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

UBUNTU- I am because we are.

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

Loc: Flag
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: SWEDEN]
    #18155349 - 04/23/13 01:00 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Don't know about the US, but in Europe, Norway/Sweden/Finland are the countries you're looking for. I used to live in Estonia and it's the same there, they're all atheists.

http://www.infobarrel.com/25_Most_Atheist_Countries_in_the_World#cT5HRjfBwSeeF6G6.99

1. Sweden ( 46 - 85% Atheist)
2. Vietnam ( 81% Atheist)
3. Denmark ( 43 - 80% Atheist)
4. Norway ( 31 - 72% Atheist)
6. Czech Republic ( 54 - 61% Atheist)
7. Finland ( 28 - 60% Atheist)
8. France ( 43 - 54% Atheist)
9. South Korea ( 30 - 52% Atheist)
10. Estonia ( 49% Atheist)

--------------------

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: JoieDeVivre]
    #18155360 - 04/23/13 01:04 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
It's not an act of faith to say there's nothing to suggest there might be a god. Based on all the available evidence, there's never been ANY definitive evidence that has even suggested there might be a god. Based upon that the logical position is atheism.

:blah:

There's also never been any definitive evidence to say that there isn't a god, it's annoying when christians try to push their beliefs down your throat , it's quite funny how you don't realize you're doing exactly the same thing except with your views. There's no " logical position ", there's only what you believe in and I don't care what you believe in as long as you leave me alone and don't try to push your beliefs down my throat (which you are, in basically every thread about religion I've seen here)

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Constantine]
    #18155378 - 04/23/13 01:09 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

So, discussing something on a thread where no one is forced to read what I say means I'm shoving my beliefs down others throats? You have no idea what "pushing beliefs down someone's throat," really is. :lol:

I'm interested in discussing religion, if you don't like that put me on ignore or don't read my posts.:thumbup:

--------------------
Sapere aude

"We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers, our actions run as causes and return to us as results."

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Constantine] * 1
    #18155380 - 04/23/13 01:09 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

yeah belief confounds logic beleive it or not

also the bible is way more atheistic at its monotheistic orthodoxy roots than it gets credit for (not its protestant polytheistic almost buddhist doctrines that get created later)

the bible demands that one is suspended in atheistic doubt, and that devotion is the only way to bridge this gap. the bible admits theres a gap in reality, it admits that evidence is not always prima facie, that a leap must be taken. st paul outlines this in his letter to the romans, its an orginazation, no one to whom is even sure if heaven and hell exist anywhere than on earth, within the kingdom of christianity.

god himself confesses atheism on the cross, "god you have forsaken me".

Edited by AntiEverything (04/23/13 01:12 PM)

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Constantine] * 2
    #18155381 - 04/23/13 01:10 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:
Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:

:blah:

There's also never been any definitive evidence to say that there isn't a god, it's annoying when christians try to push their beliefs down your throat , it's quite funny how you don't realize you're doing exactly the same thing except with your views. There's no " logical position ", there's only what you believe in.

Burden of proof. And there are logical positions and illogical positions. Is it logical to believe in the unicorns on Jupiter? The whole point of faith is that the conclusion is not logical. That is why faith is required to begin with. Also sharing views on a discussion forum =/= pushing views down someone's throat. Especially in response to someone who questions your views.
:bored:

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

#18155390 - 04/23/13 01:12 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

So that's all you got ? " If you don't like what I'm saying then put me on ignore " ?

I thought you were interested in discussing religion ? :smirk:

I'm an atheist myself, I just wanted to point out the fact that you spend a lot of time criticizing christians/people who believe in god but you're doing exactly the same thing than them. Why do you care so much if people believe in god or believe in anything ? Like I said I used to live in a country full of atheists and I've met SO many people like you in the end it's really annoying, and I don't even believe in god myself. Just let people believe what they want, why do you feel the need to go around telling them what's logical or what's not.

--------------------

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18155402 - 04/23/13 01:16 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:
So that's all you got ? " If you don't like what I'm saying then put me on ignore " ?

I thought you were interested in discussing religion ? :smirk:

I'm an atheist myself, I just wanted to point out the fact that you spend a lot of time criticizing christians/people who believe in god but you're doing exactly the same thing than them. Why do you care so much if people believe in god or believe in anything ?

I am interested in discussing religion. I'm not interested in being attacked as "shoving my beliefs down someone's throat" just because I like to discuss things on a forum meant for discussion.  You weren't trying to engage in intelligent discussion with me, you were basically saying you don't like how I post about religion and my only response to that is that you have to deal with it or ignore me, because I'm not saying anything objectionable and I'm not changing my personal discussion interests just because you want to take issue with what I like to discuss.

I don't "care so much if people believe in god or believe in anything," I just like to discuss religion. I mean, in a lot of ways I do care because in places like the US religion is the norm and it guides policy making.

I'm not doing the same thing as christians who believe in god, I'm critcally thinking about all my beliefs and discussing them critically with others who have differing opinions. Most christians don't do that. Also, I'm never criticizing the believers, only the belief. :shrug:

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18155403 - 04/23/13 01:16 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

No one has pushed any beliefs down anyone's throats. But I knew it was only a matter of time before people would start bitching about something like that in this thread.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155412 - 04/23/13 01:19 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

also if you haven't read the bible, dont talk about it :smile:

thats like a vagabond vomiting books he had not read on debutantes foolish enough to believe

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

#18155426 - 04/23/13 01:23 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I'm sure the crazy christians will say the same thing if you ask them, they just like to " discuss religion " too. Call it whatever you want, it's just really annoying how you feel it's your duty to go around telling people how what they believe in is not logical, because faith is a very personal thing and everyone sees it differently.

Quote:

I'm not doing the same thing as christians who believe in god

Actually you are.. I thought this thread was about " atheistic places " and here is your first post :

Quote:

Whatever. You can believe in god without being a complete religious nut or going to church or reading the bible every day. Just let them believe what they want.

--------------------

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

#18155432 - 04/23/13 01:26 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
No one has pushed any beliefs down anyone's throats. But I knew it was only a matter of time before people would start bitching about something like that in this thread.

Oh I'm bitching, really ? I thought we were just " discussing religion ". Of course this only applies to me because you don't agree with me right ? :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155436 - 04/23/13 01:27 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

i started believing in god around the time i stopped believing in LSD

you will NEED god at a certain point, until then you are just a phantom who has yet to experience the Real

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18155439 - 04/23/13 01:28 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Ironically the more I read the Bible over the years the more atheistic I became. I think it is an excellent book for the time as far as literature goes. But there is no way I could ever take it as seriously as so many do.

Quote:

Constantine said:
I'm sure the crazy christians will say the same thing if you ask them, they just like to " discuss religion " too. Call it whatever you want, it's just really annoying how you feel it's your duty to go around telling people how what they believe in is not logical, because faith is a very personal thing and everyone sees it differently.

Quote:

I'm not doing the same thing as christians who believe in god

Actually you are.. I thought this thread was about " atheistic places " and here is your first post :

Quote:

Whatever. You can believe in god without being a complete religious nut or going to church or reading the bible every day. Just let them believe what they want.

So? Are Christians not allowed to discuss their religion without it being "forced down your throat?" There is a clear difference between discussing something and forcing it onto others. There was a reply by sweden, challenging the atheistic viewpoint. Are we not allowed to respond? This is seriously very stupid.

Anyway, I am wondering what the most atheistic places on the west coast of the US are. I have always dreamed about moving to someplace like Oregon because it is a beautiful place with many jobs.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

Edited by The_Aviator (04/23/13 01:29 PM)

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18155446 - 04/23/13 01:29 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:
I'm sure the crazy christians will say the same thing if you ask them, they just like to " discuss religion " too. Call it whatever you want, it's just really annoying how you feel it's your duty to go around telling people how what they believe in is not logical, because it's a personal thing.

No, usually crazy Christians are actually following what the bible says and witnessing to people in order to convince them that their beliefs are true. I'm never trying to convince anyone, I'm always just discussing my own beliefs and the reasoning behind them.

I wasn't going around and telling anyone what they believe is illogical. If you look at the first post I made, and what it was in response to, I was defending my own position on the issue. In no way was I even discussing anyone else's belief other than my own. I wasn't talking to a religious person and saying "YOUR BELIEF IS ILLOGICAL" I was simply responding to a claim about my own position.

:wtf:

Quote:

I have no idea what your problem is. I do let people believe what they want. You act like I'm going around attacking people at church or something when in reality I'm posting in a thread about atheism and I was responding to a post about how atheism is illogical and faith based. :lol:

And, yeah, you are bitching. You literally came in this thread and started attacking me based upon the fact that you think I'm "annoying" because I discuss religion too much. How is that even related to the thread? Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss why I annoy you, or make a thread about it. Don't derail an interesting thread because you want to dictate what, when and how I post.

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155461 - 04/23/13 01:34 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

joey i like how you conveniently leave out my arguemnts

oh and yes, christianity is illogical, who is saying that it is? lmao

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

#18155466 - 04/23/13 01:34 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I see.. So your first post in a thread about atheistic places is about how there is no evidence to support the existence of a god (and therefore atheism is the only logical position) and I'm the one derailing this thread ? :lol: Notice how my first post here was actually about atheistic places.

Quote:

There is a clear difference between discussing something and forcing it onto others. There was a reply by sweden, challenging the atheistic viewpoint. Are we not allowed to respond? This is seriously very stupid.

When christians do that to you it's considered pushing their beliefs down your throat but when you do it you just call it " discussing something " ?

Quote:

There is a clear difference between discussing something and forcing it onto others. There was a reply by sweden, challenging the atheistic viewpoint. Are we not allowed to respond? This is seriously very stupid.

Am I also not allowed to respond without you saying it's very stupid ? I don't recall telling you " it's really stupid " or " what is your problem " or " you're bitching " at any point, yet you have the right to do it and I'm the one being aggressive.

:whatever:

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Constantine] * 3
    #18155478 - 04/23/13 01:38 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

A: hell :smirk:

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Shins]
    #18155486 - 04/23/13 01:40 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:
I see.. So your first post in a thread about atheistic places is about how there is no evidence to support the existence of a god (and therefore atheism is the only logical position) and I'm the one derailing this thread ? :lol: Notice how my first post here was actually about atheistic places.

Quote:

When christians do that to you it's considered pushing their beliefs down your throat but when you do it you just call it " discussing something " ?

Quote:

Am I also not allowed to respond without you saying it's very stupid ? I don't recall telling you " it's really stupid " or " what is your problem is " or " you're bitching " at any point, yet you have the right to do it and I'm the one being aggressive.

:whatever:

I don't consider them answering a question pushing their beliefs onto me. Only you do apparently. I consider it answering a question. According to your views any discussion about religion is pushing beliefs. So then why comment in this thread? You are allowed to respond to anything, as am I.

Quote:

Shins said:
A: hell :smirk:

:rofl:

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18155493 - 04/23/13 01:42 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AntiEverything said:

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not leaving out anything of your arguments, I just wasn't addressing them at all because I don't see what you're trying to say.

Quote:

b]Constantine said:

My first post was responding to a question/statement about a stance that I personally hold. I wasn't talking to any believers and telling them WHY their belief is illogical, I was discussing my own personal belief. No one here would ever ask Christians a question about their beliefs and then immediately attack them for "shoving their beliefs down" anyone's throat. When a question is posed, a response makes sense and it's not forcing the response on anyone, it's simply responding.:crazy2:

You take issue with my other posts and you think how I post is annoying. That's what is really your driving force in responding to me this way. I never was forcing my beliefs on anyone else. I wasn't calling any specific belief illogical, I didn't even mention Christianity.

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155519 - 04/23/13 01:47 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

wait lmao, so you aren't leaving anything out by not responding, at all? very thorough coverage, joie

my argument btw is that christianity is more atheistic at its roots than atheist dogma. stick that in your pipe and smoke it, maybe read my posts? lol

side note: in a formal debate when you don't respond to any one of their arguments it becomes a concession and they take the point

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: AntiEverything] * 2
    #18155537 - 04/23/13 01:50 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
wait lmao, so you aren't leaving anything out by not responding, at all? very thorough coverage, joie

You didn't respond to me. Or like, dozens of other posts in the thread.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: AntiEverything] * 1
    #18155544 - 04/23/13 01:51 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know what your problem is dude. I never disagreed with what you were saying, so I didn't feel the need to respond. Obviously Christianity is VERY atheistic in a lot of ways one of which being the fact that it requires that you denounce all other possible gods.

However to be fully atheistic you must be not-theistic (which is what a-theism literally means). Christianity still holds onto one god and is thus more theistic than it could ever be considered fully atheistic.

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155546 - 04/23/13 01:52 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

and therefor i concede everything you say :wink:

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 1
    #18155563 - 04/23/13 01:54 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
and therefor i concede everything you say :wink:

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I never disagreed with what you were saying, so I didn't feel the need to respond.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it :pipesmoke:

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: AntiEverything]
    #18155566 - 04/23/13 01:55 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

my problem? sounds like the only one with a problem is you.

he who judgest condemnest himself for he is guilty of the same crime, st paul 2 tha romans chapter 2

also, one god? no, god split into 3 parts. with doubt acting as the chimney sweep, suspending them in guilt and doubt, just as the milkman did for you father. i don't expect you to get the milkman reference, but the trinity includes an antoganism that confers in the individual doubt

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

Edited by AntiEverything (04/23/13 01:57 PM)

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18155573 - 04/23/13 01:56 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Oh and if you ever call me "joey" again, I'm going to stick YOU in my pipe and smoke it.  :pirate:

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

#18155575 - 04/23/13 01:56 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I don't know what your problem is dude.

And there it is again. Do you have a problem with people expressing their opinion ? :lol:

Quote:

AntiEverything said:

Joie, from now on I am calling you joey

EDIT : wow didn't even see your post :highfive:

--------------------

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155589 - 04/23/13 01:59 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

conceding my arugment isn't the same thing as being right, though, aviator. while she concedes my arguments, her arguments contradict mine. all of your arguments were sound with mine

so, stick it back in your pipe and smoke it

also, joey. what?

also i dont expect anyone to breech my level of thought or analysis on this issue, thus why no one can even respond to my arguments without simply conceding them. not being arrogant, its just obvious few in this thread really know what they are talking about.

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

Edited by AntiEverything (04/23/13 02:02 PM)

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18155626 - 04/23/13 02:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:
Quote:

JoieDeVivre said:
I don't know what your problem is dude.

And there it is again. Do you have a problem with people expressing their opinion ? :lol:

No, that was in response to him goading a response from me. It literally had nothing to do with his opinion on anything at all whatsoever.

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
conceding my arugment isn't the same thing as being right, though, aviator. while she concedes my arguments, her arguments contradict mine.

How does any of what I have been saying contradict what you are saying?

Actually, no. I'm not going to derail this thread anymore. I think the topic of atheistic places to live is more interesting than arguing with someone who assumes their level of thought and analysis is higher than others. :thumbup:

--------------------
Sapere aude

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#18155636 - 04/23/13 02:08 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I think that you will find godly people in most all places, it seems to be a natural phenomenon.

The way i see it there are limits to what man can measure and reason.

Beyond that is something mysterious and mystifying.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18155646 - 04/23/13 02:09 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, we will never achieve your "level of thought." This thread has clearly run its course. Atheistic places are irrelevant. We must all concede to AntiEverything's infinite knowledge.

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
you will NEED god at a certain point, until then you are just a phantom who has yet to experience the Real

Deep man, deep
:mindblown:
:bow2:

:blowmybrainsout:

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Shins]
    #18155649 - 04/23/13 02:10 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

this argument: that christianity is more atheistic than atheism, you obviously don't understand, thus cannot respond. simple

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

InvisibleJoieDeVivre
Hippie Babysitter
Female User Gallery

#18155661 - 04/23/13 02:11 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Here's an interesting comparison I found in relation to atheistic places to live.
Quote:

Atheist (and GPI rank)
1. Estonia (38th)
2. Czech Republic (11th)
3. Sweden (6th)
4. Denmark (2nd)
5. Norway (2nd)
6. Netherlands (22nd)
7. France (30th)
8. Slovenia (9th)
9. Latvia (54th)
10. UK (35th)

Global Peace Index Top 10
1. New Zealand
2. Denmark
3. Norway

4. Iceland
5. Austria
6.Sweden
7. Japan
8. Canada
9. Finland
10. Slovenia

Least Atheist (taken from Adherents.com) and their rank in the GPI
1. Croatia (49th)
2. Cuba (68th)
3. Dominican Republic (70th)
4. Kyrgyzstan (not ranked)
5. Argentina (66th)
6. Albania (75th)
7. USA (83rd)
8. Portugal (14th)
9. Mongolia (89th)
10. Kazakhstan (84th)

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
this argument: that christianity is more atheistic than atheism, you obviously don't understand, thus cannot respond. simple

Christianity can NOT be more atheistic than atheism, because it holds on to more theism than any atheist does. Christianity IS theistic. Atheism is 100% NOT theistic.

--------------------
Sapere aude

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18155665 - 04/23/13 02:12 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
christianity is more atheistic than atheism

Do you know what atheism is? I'd like to hear your definition.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155676 - 04/23/13 02:15 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

what about the evidence, from the bible itself, where jesus stops believing in god on the cross?

the argument goes like this: atheists assume faith towards nonbelief, christians are suspended in a yoke of doubt, cracking the egg is more or less the key, this is explained thoroughly in st pauls letter to the romans. belief then is something that you come to when you stop believing in god. atheists begin with belief and never doubt. make more sense now?

athiesm is the rejection of deities ( got that from wiki), doesn't really matter the definition, colliquial or operational, the point is the same. atheism = obstinate belief, christiniaty = doubt unto belief

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

Edited by AntiEverything (04/23/13 02:18 PM)

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: AntiEverything] * 3
    #18155705 - 04/23/13 02:21 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

"My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"
It doesn't sound like he doesn't believe in god. Rather it sounds like he believes in a god that has abandoned/ignored him.

And about doubt:
Quote:

But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.

~James 1:6

Atheism does not require faith. Again, I am not positing the non-existence of god as a fact. But I am a practicing skeptic.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18155783 - 04/23/13 02:33 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I guess he "officially" concedes since it has been over seven minutes
:rocketcrotch:

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155856 - 04/23/13 02:46 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

laaame just wrote up my response 2 times, got either booted off the computer (at library), or wasn't logged in and the script didnt save my content

don't really feel like going on, have other things to do today, you win. until another time

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18155880 - 04/23/13 02:50 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Stop derailing the thread guys this thread is supposed to be about how Sweden is number one country in the world

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18155894 - 04/23/13 02:53 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

There is never really a winner in this type of debate. Only philosophy and interpretations. But anyways, yeah this thread has taken quite a turn, not what I was intending but its hard to avoid.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

Loc: 585/843
    #18155916 - 04/23/13 02:56 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
As an atheist I am not asserting the non-existence of a deity as a fact. But rather I have not been presented any evidence so I do not consider it to be a rational position. In a similar way, I do not believe that there are unicorns on Jupiter. And I do not cite culture as evidence because that would be extremely fallacious.

Are you sure you are an atheist?  You basically just described agnosticism :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: KremrBigSikter]
    #18155920 - 04/23/13 02:57 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

KremrBigSikter said:
Stop derailing the thread guys this thread is supposed to be about how Sweden is number one country in the world

Get out, Finland is the best:crankey:

I love me some mämmi :yesnod:

(No really, this shit sucks and finnish people are moody bitches :puke: Sweden rules)

--------------------

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

#18155921 - 04/23/13 02:57 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Faith is an unavoidable part of the human experience, its part of what makes us human.

using only our skills of logic and measurement we would be like robots.

Is it possible to be an atheist christian?

--------------------

OfflineAntiEverything
im not a doctor
Male

#18155948 - 04/23/13 03:02 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

you are definately right there is no winner. i guess i have a few seconds, hope i dont miss my bus and i was still gonna run and get beer :smile:

one must fall from grace in order to be saved, you have to sin in order to understand sin. atheism acts in a world devoid of sin or grace
good job bringing up james, one of my faves actually, faith in works i believe was the part you are on, but in that same verse ( i believe) he goes on to say that the tongue is a fire that defiles the whole body and sets on fire the course of hell. the tongue cannot help but to doubt at times, everyone will sin, everyone will in their own form "doubt"

anyway, the bible does want you to believe whole heartedly, but it admits that people doubt, jesus on the cross seems to not really be sure if god is real or not and this is the proper christian operation

it is indocrinated belief unto doubt unto crystallized belief. you must doubt in order to regain that stone like faith though, before this you are only wondering what its like to not believe. i claim that atheism lacks this operation and closed mindedly never assumes the belief as true. it picks one side and sticks with it.

st paul goes on at the end of the new T to talk about how the bible is for the excluded, it does no good to preach to those who already believe.

ok gotta run, LOVE

--------------------
You are at once
both
the quiet
and
the confusion
of my heart.
-Franz Kafka

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

#18156015 - 04/23/13 03:13 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Gr33nTree73 said:
Quote:

The_Aviator said:

Are you sure you are an atheist?  You basically just described agnosticism :shrug:

The difference is negligible if any exists at all imo. I went from Christian -> Agnostic -> Pantheist -> Agnostic/Atheist
The point is that if evidence of a god somehow rained down from the heavens then I would accept it. I think that nearly all atheists would accept it. But as it currently stands there is no evidence and so I double down and call myself an atheist. By this I mean that I am not a theist. Mostly I consider myself an atheist existentialist. I mostly agree with Sartre in Being and Nothingness and more importantly, Existentialism is a Humanism.

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
you are definately right there is no winner. i guess i have a few seconds, hope i dont miss my bus and i was still gonna run and get beer :smile:

one must fall from grace in order to be saved, you have to sin in order to understand sin. atheism acts in a world devoid of sin or grace
good job bringing up james, one of my faves actually, faith in works i believe was the part you are on, but in that same verse ( i believe) he goes on to say that the tongue is a fire that defiles the whole body and sets on fire the course of hell. the tongue cannot help but to doubt at times, everyone will sin, everyone will in their own form "doubt"

anyway, the bible does want you to believe whole heartedly, but it admits that people doubt, jesus on the cross seems to not really be sure if god is real or not and this is the proper christian operation

it is indocrinated belief unto doubt unto crystallized belief. you must doubt in order to regain that stone like faith though, before this you are only wondering what its like to not believe. i claim that atheism lacks this operation and closed mindedly never assumes the belief as true. it picks one side and sticks with it.

st paul goes on at the end of the new T to talk about how the bible is for the excluded, it does no good to preach to those who already believe.

ok gotta run, LOVE

Mmm, beer. The main statement that I disagree with is "atheism acts in a world devoid of sin or grace." This essay explains my thoughts very well. Sartre says:
"My atheist existentialism is rather more coherent. It posits that God does not exist, yet there
is still a being in whom existence precedes essence, a being which exists before being defined
by any concept, and this being is man or, as Heidegger puts it, human reality."
http://www.public.asu.edu/~jmlynch/273/documents/sartre-existentialism-squashed.pdf
Sin is a reflection of human values, I believe Sarte goes a bit more in-depth in that essay.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #18156064 - 04/23/13 03:19 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:
Quote:

KremrBigSikter said:

Get out, Finland is the best:crankey:

I love me some mämmi :yesnod:

(No really, this shit sucks and finnish people are moody bitches :puke: Sweden rules)

You are correct. They sell that shit at supermarkets here around easter because of the Finnish minority. I've never eaten it, and I'm not even sure what it is, but from what I gather it's a dessert that has the texture and look of burnt fudge, is not even sweet, and is eaten with un-whipped cream. Who'd want to live in a country that comes up with this crap?

--------------------

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

#18156125 - 04/23/13 03:28 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Well here where i live in connecticut people hardly ever talk about god for the most part

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

OfflineConstantine
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm a teapot

#18156200 - 04/23/13 03:43 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

(Sorry for derailing the thread like that, last post, just had to warm y'all)

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: The_Aviator] * 3
    #18156242 - 04/23/13 03:57 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
Does anyone know of any places that have a large percentage of atheists?

maybe try the atheists temples and holy sites

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: JoieDeVivre] * 2
    #18156246 - 04/23/13 03:57 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:

It is relevant:

Quote:

Atheist (and GPI rank)
1. Estonia (38th)
2. Czech Republic (11th)
3. Sweden (6th)
4. Denmark (2nd)
5. Norway (2nd)
6. Netherlands (22nd)
7. France (30th)
8. Slovenia (9th)
9. Latvia (54th)
10. UK (35th)

Global Edibility Index Bottom 10
1. Greenland
2. North Korea
3. Finland
4. Iceland
5. Ireland
6. Russia
7. Mongolia
8. New Jersey
9. UK
10. Sweden

Coincidence?

--------------------

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Prisoner#1] * 2
    #18156283 - 04/23/13 04:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

The_Aviator said:

I'm already living at my university. I think that counts as an atheist holy site.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

OfflineSpacerific
- - - >
Male

#18156347 - 04/23/13 04:19 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

OP, consider the Netherlands. Apart from the obvious reasons, 99% of people here speak spectacular, stunning English. Wide variety of religious practices (or lack thereof), all manner of yoga chicks, colorful characters, atheists of all sorts, good vibes all around.

I know what a huge problem Christian boredom can be, and in fact I dread having to go back to it in a few weeks, but here in the Netherlands I've never felt it.

--------------------
Blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.

For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it,
and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.
- Matthew 13:16

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #18156377 - 04/23/13 04:28 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
Quote:

The_Aviator said:

I'm already living at my university. I think that counts as an atheist holy site.

I believe that's  just a temple, not really consecrated ground though

Offlinepropensity
۞̷ ̶۞̷ ̶
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Bedrock America
    #18156489 - 04/23/13 04:57 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Constantine said:

:lolsy:

--------------------

۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢ www.cactophage.com ۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟͢
̸ۨ͜۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆ͯ̑͘ ̶̖̭ͧ͛ͬ͑ͣͦ̍ͧ͐͟Dolphins of Dank۞̷̛̗̗͉͇̰̅͒ͯͩ̆

InvisibleBlind fool
Herr Doktor
Male

#18156659 - 04/23/13 05:42 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

To OP, I think Czech Republic is actually a pretty good choice. I do not think the statistics posted in this thread are so representative, especially if you look at the younger generation. There is approximately zero chance that anybody will bring up Christianity/other believes system as a topic of conversation nowadays. Or that anybody would look at you strangely if you stated that you are agnostic/atheist, it will simply not happen. If you are in engineering, it should not be any problem communicating in English in that work area.

Also, since January 2010, all drugs have been decriminalized in small quantities.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/speakeasy/2009/dec/15/europe_czech_government_announce

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Blind fool] * 1
    #18156710 - 04/23/13 05:52 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Ah, cool. Thanks for the info.

On my way to class sometimes there are people on the sidewalks with a bunch of signs saying things like "Repent now or spend an eternity in hell!" and stuff like that. Sometimes people will even approach me and ask if I'm saved. I didn't think that would be a problem in most places in Europe. Mostly I just want to be at a place where it is acceptable for me to be myself and have my own beliefs. Now I know that if I can't stand the US any longer I can move to the Czech Republic. I like their official motto: "Truth prevails"

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

InvisibleBlind fool
Herr Doktor
Male

#18156874 - 04/23/13 06:22 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

That does not sound very fun. Well I know only a small number of countries in Europe. I presume that the Scandinavian countries are pretty relaxed as well, however not on the drug part.

Invisiblesomething super extreme
NIGGA YOU A FUCK NIGGA!
 User Gallery

Loc: TURNT UP!
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: The_Aviator] * 1
    #18156956 - 04/23/13 06:37 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
The following figures show the percentage of people that "believe there is a God."

:lol:
Pathetic.

Quote:

The_Aviator said:
I have lived in a predominantly Christian area my entire life and letting my atheism be known is a big no-no around many people.

I live in the Deep South, and I certainly have no problem making my beliefs known if I'm asked for whatever stupid reason.

Quote:

AntiEverything said:
you will NEED god at a certain point

Yeah, not really.

OfflineThe_Aviator
High Flyer
Male User Gallery

Re: Atheistic Places [Re: something super extreme] * 2
    #18156994 - 04/23/13 06:43 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

My close family and all of my friends know. But some of my girlfriend's family for example, I'm not going there. Or else they'd trick me into going to some sort of atheist rehab or something. And that isn't even a joke. Also I know that if one of my uncles found out then he wouldn't let me near my younger cousins who look up to me.

--------------------

Being and Nothingness
Easy no-nausea hbwr tek

InvisibleSheekle
FREE BURKE
 User Gallery

#18157018 - 04/23/13 06:47 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

svs stop telling peope to ban me

--------------------
"Ur cat died because he hated u" - Koods
"I hope JSB kicks your ass one day." - Vandago
"you are the biggest 'internet guy' I have ever come across"- Jokeshopbeard
"The more I see you post the more I realize you're just this fuckin tie dye loser who trolls the Shroomery 24/7." - Herbologist
"Sheekle you cannot vile the dice of bullshit you have posted on this forum over the years, I like databases" - thelastoneleft
"or maybe i just come from a blood line of superior intelligence" - trees

R.I.P Kelsy, ?/?/?? - 6/11/16

Invisiblesomething super extreme
NIGGA YOU A FUCK NIGGA!
 User Gallery

Loc: TURNT UP!
Re: Atheistic Places [Re: Sheekle]
    #18157091 - 04/23/13 07:01 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:poop:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder