Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Do as I say, not as I do.
    #1814152 - 08/14/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well what do you know, a rich liberal who thinks people don't pay enough taxes, yet hardly pays any herself!

Can you say hypocrisy?

Gov. Candidate Arianna Huffington Paid Almost No Income Tax

Political gadfly-turned-California gubernatorial candidate Arianna Huffington launched her campaign by complaining about corporate fat cats who don't pay enough taxes - even though she herself paid almost no income tax at all for the last two years.

Tax records released to the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday show that the wealthy socialite paid no California state income taxes for 2001 and 2002 - and ponied-up a paltry $771 in federal income taxes for the same two-year period.

Despite her meager contribution to the federal budget, the Zsa Zsa Gabor sound-alike lives in an 8,000-square-foot home in Brentwood above Sunset Boulevard that is valued at about $7 million, the Times said, adding, "she socializes with many wealthy and prominent people."

In announcing her candidacy last week, Huffington complained that California's whopping $38 billion budget deficit had been caused in part by "corporate fat cats [who] get away with not paying their fair share of taxes."

Huffington's tax returns show that her income in the last two years was offset by losses she reported for Christabella Inc., the corporation she established to manage her writing and lecturing business.

In an interview Wednesday, Huffington told the Times that there was no inconsistency between her complaints about undertaxed corporation executives and her own meager tax payments. Instead she insisted that her tax deductions had been "very conservative" and didn't rely on "loopholes."

Tax experts quoted by the Times, however, painted a different picture.

"The average guy isn't able to wipe out the taxes on his wage income because he doesn't have millions of dollars in losses" from a private corporation, said Phil Holthouse, a partner in a Los Angeles certified public accounting firm.

Huffington's ex-husband, multimillionaire Michael Huffington, told the Times that the gubernatorial candidate benefited from additional income not reflected on her tax return in the form of child support he pays.

While he declined to specify the exact sum, Mr. Huffington said it was "very substantially above" the $183,000 that Christabella Inc. reported as its gross receipts in 2002.

"It's clear to me that much of her tax-free child support is going toward her business," he told the Times. "A lot of businesses would like to have tax-free income."

A liberal hypocrite

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Do as I say, not as I do. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1814501 - 08/14/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Once again, I'll strongly disagree with this logic.

Warren Buffet, the 2nd richest man in America, made a big deal about the unfairness of the elimination of the dividend tax. He said it would give rich people a HUGE tax break, and would effectively lower his tax rate to about 3%, while his secretary was paying 30%. Yet he said if it passed, Berkshire Hathoway would start paying out dividends anyways, because shareholders (including himself) would save hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes.

Is he a hypocryte? Not in my opionion. He's just doing what the messed up system allows. He continues to fight to fix the system which will take his benefits away.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Do as I say, not as I do. [Re: Cornholio]
    #1814510 - 08/14/03 05:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's those rose colored glasses you have on. A lot of us see her as the hypocritical bitch she is.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

#1814831 - 08/14/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
It's those rose colored glasses you have on. A lot of us see her as the hypocritical bitch she is.

Well, I honestly am not too familiar with her, so I'm not qualified to say if she's hypocrytical or not, but on the subject of this thread, I say it was unfair to call her hypocrytical if she's not breaking existing tax laws (per the logic in my previous post).

Now Ann Coulter's a hypocrite IMHO.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1814849 - 08/14/03 06:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

While I respect your opinion...

As she is saying one thing yet doing another, she is.

Let her put her money where her mouth is.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1814881 - 08/14/03 07:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If she's talking about raising taxes, then she's talking about raising her own taxes as well as those of others. That doesn't sound like hypocrisy.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

#1814889 - 08/14/03 07:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The tax laws said she owed $771 to the Government over a two year period.  So that's what she paid.  How can you possibly feel she's being hypocritical by following the existing tax laws?  On most things we disagree on, I understand your point of view.  But on this, I just don't see the hypocracy.  :tongue:   

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Do as I say, not as I do. [Re: silversoul7]
    #1814891 - 08/14/03 07:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not surprised.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1814902 - 08/14/03 07:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If she thinks more can be done, she should be willing to do it on her own.

To me, that's an example of hypocrisy.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1814939 - 08/14/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You think she should pay income tax on income she didn't make?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Do as I say, not as I do. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1814957 - 08/14/03 07:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Now that's a good point.

However I've never seen a taxing agency worry about whether or not an individual can afford to pay.

Besides, she could always sell her home and/or business.

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

#1814963 - 08/14/03 07:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I once paid too much in taxes by mistake without knowing it.  The Government sent me a refund check to my surprise.  It appears they won't LET you pay too much in taxes!!!  :tongue: 

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1814979 - 08/14/03 07:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That was satire, right?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1814985 - 08/14/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure that out of the goodness of your heart and overwhelming feelings of compassion, you donated it to charity.

Or perhaps you gave it to a homless person?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1814986 - 08/14/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
That was satire, right?

Which?

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1814993 - 08/14/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I wish I could write off expenses as business expenses.

I bought a house and a car for my business. The car is to get me back and forth to work, and the house is for a place to store my body (which is a piece of business equipment).

Also food and medicine are deductable from my income because they are equipment maintanance expenses.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1815008 - 08/14/03 07:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A good accountant may be able to help.

--------------------

OnlineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1815033 - 08/14/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is why they teach us all that crap about George washington and shit.

They don't want to teach us how to avoid paying taxes.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1816260 - 08/15/03 07:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

She used the oldest tax trick in the book. She doesn't pay herself a salary so she has no income. The company conveniently pays for all of her expenses. It is perfectly legal of course, but it sure doesn't make her look good. This is one of the reasons our tax code needs to be flushed down the toilet and done over. Flat tax anyone?

OfflineFileSoup
    #1818544 - 08/15/03 10:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

She is a hypocrite because she talks about "coporate fat cats" being so bad but yet she is a multi-millionaire "fat cat" herself.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale