Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

mushroom growin' qualifications.
    #1814944 - 08/14/03 07:25 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i'm a horticulture major at school. i grow mushrooms (just cubies for now) and i like it. it's a great hobby for me. i'm real interested in growing mushrooms.

i live in PA, near chester county and kennet square and stuff, a place that hails itself as 'the mushroom capitol of the united states", hell.. they've even got a mushroom museum there.

i've read that the mushroom industry is growing pretty fast.

where i go to school, they offer a mushroom science minor. can one make a decent living as a mushroom grower? what kinds of qualifications and training does one need? how hard would it be to start up a mushroom farm?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: mushroom growin' qualifications. [Re: ]
    #1818288 - 08/15/03 09:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

One certainly could make a decent living as a mushroom farmer, if one has the facilities and the volume.

There is no specific set of qualifications if you go into business on your own, but you might want to talk to people who are in the business.

Setting up a mushroom farm isn't going to be easy -- settig up any business isn't easy. You've got to get your facilities, employees if necessary, manage to actually grow the things and manage the contams...

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Re: mushroom growin' qualifications. [Re: ]
    #1818363 - 08/15/03 09:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Finding something you really like to do and making it your profession can be really good or really bad.

A friend of mine really like homebrewing. He won a few awards for beers he made. So he started a microbrewery. After about 10 years he had to sell everything in the place and shut it down, and his personal finances are pretty much a wreck. I don't think he wants anything to do with homebrewing at all anymore.

I guess my advice would be that you probably ought to seriously consider taking some business classes. A bit of knowledge on how to handle those aspects will improve your chances of success.

You should also try contacting people who actually do it. One place you might try would be Paul Stamets. Or try contacting one of those mushroom farms in your area. Maybe you might prefer to work for one of those places. Find out what sorts of people they need (and will need in the future).

And if it still sounds like the kind of stuff you'd like to do, go for it. Having a job that consists of something you actually like to do would be a great thing.

Good luck!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineJonnyDatsun
Enthomycologist
Loc: california
Re: mushroom growin' qualifications. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1872955 - 09/01/03 11:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If you're going to go into business for yourself, you might want to consider a minor in business as well, to help ensure your business is successful.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: mushroom growin' qualifications. [Re: JonnyDatsun]
    #1873420 - 09/02/03 02:34 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

1. Take some business courses. It's always useful for yourself to be able to set up business plans, estimate profits and whatnot. Furthermore, as you'll probably need money to set yourself up, you'll have to convince a bank to invest in your business (assuming you're not ubelievably wealthy :smile: ), and banks like to see a well thought-through business plan and some sound financial forecasts. Of course you can rely on accountants and other people for this sort of stuff, but it appears that if you yourself have no idea what the administrative and financial side of a business should/could look like, you're easy prey for conmen and simply risk making more (stupid) mistakes.

2. Start working with an existing company. You can make a nice career there if possible, but you can also learn the ins and outs of the mushroom growing business and start for yourself after a couple of years.

3. Be prepared to work, work, work and work even more. If you'll have to live off your own business, you'll be working on it almost 24/7. There'll be no such thing as a free saturday, or maybe even a free sunday. This may sound cruel, but in practice this is what it usually boils down to. However, if you're very enthusiastic about your work, this helps you get through it

4. As you'll be working so damn much, be sure that your family (I speculate you don't have a girlfriend/wife+kids yet, but that'll come, oh yes) is supportive in your work. Many wives (and children too) can't really live with the idea of daddy working every day of the week and crashing into his bed at midnight every day without much time spent with his family.

Of course, the issues above are mainly starters-issues and issues related to small companies. If you manage to set up a successful company with a lot of staff working for you, maybe times will get a bit less tough. But even in that case, the first couple of years will be very, very hard work indeed.

I wish you the best of luck, and I really hope I haven't discouraged you. Because despite of the drawbacks, there's nothing so rewarding as running your own (successful) company!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract