Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

Loc: Atlantida.
Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11038690 - 09/11/09 04:20 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Pellet factory sounds very good actually.

--------------------
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Looking for Lion's Mane and Yellow Oyster culture. Will trade for: Shiitake/King Oyster/Blue Oyster/White Beech.
Me for info.

Yes, you can see the real reality through a little window. Now, build a door.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: lionsman]
    #11053664 - 09/13/09 07:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lionsman said:
Imorph, thanks for your comments. My autoclaves are also home made from 50l beer-barrels. Everything I have seems to be home made! They're very high quality stainless steel, with the top cut open and fitted with a rubber seal. The barrels are stamped with 'tested up to 4 bar'. They're fitted with a pressure gauge and valve in the top. Top is held down with 8 bolts. It sounds dangerous, and would be if not put together right, but I've used mine hundreds of times with no incidents. (Please don't try this unless you're handy with an angle grinder/welder/soldering iron) The only problems have been when the seal doesn't seat properly and it needs to be re-sealed.
I use oak sawdust, which is all I can get easily locally. Bulk substrates are standard sawdust/bran/gypsum.
I can grow lions mane between about 7-28 C. At the low end, growth is slow of course, and fruitbodies generally smaller than normal. Above about 28 then go brown pretty quick. I did experiment with a gas heated steamer last winter. It would keep the shed about 10 degrees(C) higher than outside, but ended up too expensive to run.
Sheds are 6x6x8ft and 6x6x10.

man thats a badass home mad autoclave! nice work!

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: eatyualive]
    #11054675 - 09/13/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Isn't that great?

--------------------
Looking for Lion's Mane and Yellow Oyster culture. Will trade for: Shiitake/King Oyster/Blue Oyster/White Beech.
Me for info.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: ElSeta]
    #11054918 - 09/13/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

hey I'm looking at doing the dirt packed tire shed deal and I'm trying to think of a cheap well insulated way to roof it... Any ideas from the shroomites here? I'm thinking of writing someone else who might know more about the design to ask some questions, but thought I'd ask in case anyone has looked into it and toyed with the idea.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinedrumjam
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: ElSeta]
    #11055699 - 09/14/09 12:44 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

A while back I was looking into, "Earthship" building.  If you only building a shed size, timber and earth along with sod make for great insulation.  If you get bigger though, most people send their money on the roof for a number of reasons.  Spray on foam roofs used for mobile homes works great.  4-6 inches thick and so hard you can stand and walk around on it.  They paint it white so it reflects sunlight, and worked so well we had the AC. checked because we thought it gave out!  Couldn't get it to come on, the roof worked so well.

GL

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: drumjam]
    #11056877 - 09/14/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I especially like the curtains.  It reminds me grandma's house back in the 1950's. :laugh:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: drumjam]
    #11057667 - 09/14/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

drumjam said:
A while back I was looking into, "Earthship" building.  If you only building a shed size, timber and earth along with sod make for great insulation.  If you get bigger though, most people send their money on the roof for a number of reasons.  Spray on foam roofs used for mobile homes works great.  4-6 inches thick and so hard you can stand and walk around on it.  They paint it white so it reflects sunlight, and worked so well we had the AC. checked because we thought it gave out!  Couldn't get it to come on, the roof worked so well.

GL

Great. I think that answers most all my wonderment about it. Any more advice you may add since your more familiar with the design than I? I've only seen that docu about it.

May I add, why does he choose to use that word to refer to his designs? I really think it hampers the prospect of taking him seriously.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinedrumjam
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11061730 - 09/14/09 11:59 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The guy has been associated with low environmental impact housing and literally wrote the books on Earthships. 

Use tiers,(waste) for framing, earth, for structure and thermal mass.  Old cans and bottles, laid out in a "cord wood" style wall to create dead air space, and passive solar for cooling and heating.

Little or no major tools, BUT! a BUTT LOAD of hard labor!  Which is OK if that's what you have or just want to for the fun of it.

The whole idea is to, use and reuse, and reconnect to the earth.  Not really new ideas but very ingenues uses of available resources.

The roofs are, or can be high tec.  Their used for water catchments, attachments for solar, water and electric, and sometimes decks or one guy I saw pinned his goats on the sod he had covering the entire structure.

Talk to RR. if you want to go that route.  You need to spend some time and brain cells figuring out all those loads.

RR,  would those containers be strong enough if you bermed the dirt on three sides and less on top?  In the south and don't have to worry  about snow.  Would light weight metal plate work on the roof if attach from the outside?  Just thinking?

GL.

Edited by drumjam (09/15/09 12:01 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11061788 - 09/15/09 12:14 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Soil is what has the most weight, so I wouldn't go with less strength in the south.  You get rain/thunderstorms which can put a lot of weight on the top real fast.  I've thought about railroad ties laid across the top, so on a future project, they might get used. I didn't on this one because the area above the mushroom farm is going to be an organic flower patch for our honeybees, and I didn't want the toxins from the railroad ties leaching into the soil. I went with steel trusses inside, because I needed support for the shelves anyway.  I was able to get the 40' shipping container for $1500, but if the price was much higher than that, I'd have built the whole thing out of concrete.  If you buy them by the pallet, you can get concrete blocks for about a buck apiece.  By inserting re-bar and filling the voids with concrete, you get a solid 8" concrete wall.  I built a wall like that in the middle of my shipping container to separate the colonization and fruiting areas.  It's also load bearing, so carries part of the soil load.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedrumjam
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11061912 - 09/15/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks RR

I was looking at all I could find on your project.  All that and bees too...WOW.

It was interesting to hear about the honey combs holding toxin.  My old collage roommate raises bees and had had some trouble nearly 15 yr ago, he went to shut down one hive and they just stuck around in a tree so he just dropped them right back into a new hive and they recovered!...Just needed a walkabout I guess.

Keep posting all those new ideas, I use to read all of Agar's stuff, man that man could tinker!  It's good to see all the ideas everyone comes up with.

Nice Bible...Read it or eat it...either way you'll learn something!

GL.

Edited by drumjam (09/15/09 12:56 AM)

InvisibleElSeta
Female User Gallery

#11091389 - 09/19/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Can the containers be layered with concrete inside and outside to give it a thick layer on the walls and give more rigidity? would it last longer?

--------------------
Me for info.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11092252 - 09/19/09 11:00 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The problem with that would be having the strength to hold the wet concrete until it sets up.  If you were going to build forms that strong, you could just skip the shipping container and build a concrete wall.  Mine is almost finished.  It looks like I'm going to get the major part of the construction done before the snow starts falling.  Here's a couple of shots from yesterday.  There's going to be an 18" thick rock and mortar retaining wall all the way across the front on the concrete footing you see.  The wall that holds the door is made with 2 X 6 studs and insulated to R-19.  Then, there's two layers of roofing felt as a moisture barrier, followed by a 2" layer of Dow Styrofoam insulation rated at R-10.  I start building the rock wall tomorrow. 

Once that's done, I'll get the bulldozer out here to finish burying it and tapering the hillside. I couldn't let him bury it as deep as it needed to be last spring because I didn't have the roof supported from the inside well enough to hold the calculated soil load of 225,000 pounds, which doesn't figure for rain or snow loads.  Thus, when designing my supports, I quadrupled that.  Landscaping comes next year.

The area of disturbed ground above and around the mushroom farm is going to be an organic flower garden for our honeybees.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11102744 - 09/21/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Hey RR, I know this may be a little late to mention, but have you considered putting some sort of moisture barer (perhaps made from thick polly) over the unit but under the topsoil. I'm not sure how deep of topsoil is required for your needs or how it would do at fitting into your landscaping and not allowing the dirt to wash away. However if you were to work a system together whereby a large quantity of the soil packed on top of your unit is protected from absorbing water it would grossly decrease the amount of excess weight that would be exerted on the unit during rain.

Just an idea.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11103610 - 09/21/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

The entire unit is wrapped with a hay tarp as a moisture barrier.  As for keeping moisture out of the soil, that could backfire.  Our subsoil here is clay and rock.  Once wet and then dry, it forms a solid brick-like substance that gives a lot of self support.  I'm going to plant a LOT of vegetation on top to absorb moisture and wick it out of the soil.  At any rate, I beefed up the interior enough to hold four times the maximum calculated wet soil plus snow load, so I should be good.  If one wasn't in as extreme a climate as this, you could bury it shallower and just layer more insulation on the roof to make up for the lack of soil.  Our soil here freezes solid up to four feet deep, so I wanted it below that level.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#11103624 - 09/21/09 10:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

and i cant even stand the winter in TX.... I cant even begin to imagine living in that type of cold weather...

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: TacoHerder]
    #11105231 - 09/22/09 07:39 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

sometimes wrapping things in poly isn't a good idea .. the substance doesn't let things breath but still will sweat. Hey Roger what r u calling your burrow.. get it .. rabbits hole???

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: TacoHerder]
    #11105478 - 09/22/09 09:08 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TacoHerder said:
and i cant even stand the winter in TX.... I cant even begin to imagine living in that type of cold weather...

I live for it. After spending the first half of my life in the Dallas area, I can't tolerate heat any more.  We have snow cover here for 7 months out of the year, and I even hate the short summers, bitching when it hits 80F. I can't wait for winter so I can sit back, drink some vodka and chill the heck out.  I'll bet you spend more money on heat in Texas than I do here.  I have a large cast iron wood stove for heat and just finished stacking my winter supply of firewood, seven cords.  It cost a grand total of $50 for chain saw gas and oil, and gas for my truck to haul it to the barn.  That's fifty bucks for the whole winter, and it does get cold here. I keep the cabin at about 75F to 80F, with three or four windows open all the time for fresh air.

The first picture is our cabin. The brown shed in the third picture is now insulated, sheetrocked, and converted to my lab and sterilization room.  The mushroom cave is right behind the brown shed, buried into the mountain.  The inside of the mushroom farm is completely finished now.  I'll get pictures up soon.  I'm going hiking today with the dogs.  We're going to climb the mountain behind our house in the first picture, and on the other side is a lake.  I'll take the pole and some worms to grab a few trout before the lake freezes over for the winter.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineshimm59
Stranger

#11473812 - 11/17/09 01:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Looking good! Glad to hear you have it all up and running :smile:

Have you heard of people using steel shipping containers or over pase culverts for similar projects?

Offlinemadgenious
Stranger

Re: How to make a small shed a profitable mushroom production business [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #18146935 - 04/21/13 09:08 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I know this thread is old, but that link no longer leads to anything.  I myself am interested in building a shed.  Do you have another link?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags