Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebum
journeyman

Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!?
    #1814626 - 08/14/03 08:01 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

It seems to be a myth. Let me tell you a shrooming story that a friend related to me.

It rained a couple days in his area so he thought Time to shroom! So he asks around, him and two friends, where the best fields are. They find one... First they have to jump over this ditch full of swamp water. They're soaked now. Now they're on our way. They see cows so we start heading towards them. I'll skip the details... they ended up dodging snakes and alligators, and getting soaked to our waist. They found no shrooms at this place. None. They figure the farmers use anti-fungal shit for the cows. So they leave.

They go to another field. They climbed through the forest, hitting two dead ends, both of which were deep swamp. They finally trek through the creek and get to the field to find cow shit everywhere... old, fresh, some mushrooms, NO psilocybes. They checked all along the tree lines and in the middle of the field.

What the fuck is going on here?!?!?!? Perfect conditions and no shrooms! Not even evidence of pickers! ?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'm so confused why they didn't find anything!

Edited by bum (08/27/09 05:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: bum]
    #1814643 - 08/14/03 08:05 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

"I figure the farmers use anti-fungal shit for the cows."

Thats just an urban legend.

"Then we have to climb over that pathetic barb wire shit."

Not a good idea in the first place to tresspass, but the fact that you parked on the side of the road makes it worse. If your goona tresspass, atleast park somewhere away from where you hunt.

"What the fuck is going on here?!?!?!? Perfect conditions and no shrooms! Not even evidence of pickers! ?!?!?!?!?!?!? I'm so confused!!!! "

Not every field has actives, some say even in good areas its a 50/50 chance. DOnt give up, try new fields, the odds are on your side to find some the more you look.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1814653 - 08/14/03 08:07 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

shrooms is the ultimate test of patience in my opinion. Its more fun going on a journey and trying to find them than eating shrooms themselves.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1815032 - 08/14/03 09:52 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

:lol: Pretty neat tale of the Shroom. :grin:

I just don't even know where to start...

You really took it hard to that field though dude!~ :grin:

Shroom hunting in Florida really should not be that dangerous at all, but it is the trespassing factor that usually brings people towards the experience it is you describe..

Keep shroomin dude, just excercise more patience (and safety) with your new hobby..

If you keep going out there for them, they will come to you, not you come to them, mjshroomer taught me that (because he has blue ringer patches in seattle). :cool:

The mushrooms are great teachers, they will teach you about themselves..stick around the shroomery too (it is all here already), read read read.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234   

Offlinebum
journeyman

Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1815323 - 08/14/03 11:37 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Is it possible it was too wet? I know too much condensation can kill mycelium...

Oh cool, I thought they gave the cows additives to prevent spores from hurting their stomachs or what not?

Well, considering most cow pastures are private, most gotta trespass :/

It just seems like they should be there.

Edited by bum (08/27/09 05:24 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1815345 - 08/14/03 11:50 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

Years ago I gave up the soggy swamp shit. I told the tale how I hid int he swamp up to my neck in a mangrove region near dinsmore dairy out of jacksonville. A car pointed its lights into the field and honked and I got scardd in the dark, jumped a fence and was swamped for twenty minutes. Finaly figured out is was my sister getting pissed at me for taking so long ont he prowl. That was the last time I wnet into a swampy area for twnety years.

Later int he late 1980s before I had legal permission to be on ost Hawaiian ranch land I went into an area which became like black swamp oil in reeds and that was putrid. It the rice paddies are wet and then some dry I might trudge through them but here are many poisonous snakes, somethng which does not exist in copelandia hawaiia.

mj

Stay out of the swamp. You could have died.

Keep looking from pasture to pasture and for a long period not just a day every wek or so. Sooner or later you will hit a field. It took me two months in Hawaii of mountain climbing and field after field to find some. Some years they won't come back in a pasture and then two or three years laer reappear. Not so int he PNW in lawns. Once the nutrients are gone from the habitat thats it.

Later from Viet-Nam,

mj

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1815591 - 08/15/03 01:43 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Gators have no problem grabbing your ass and drowning you either.

Hell i was down in Glades county Florida in my opinion Shroom capital of Florida considering its 90% cow pasture and fields. try it their if your in the area a great place for hunting.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #1815636 - 08/15/03 01:58 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

bum: i can assure you that psilocybian mushrooms are out there.

you should read all you can to familiarize yourself with the habitat and weather conditions taht are most suitable for the mushrooms you are looking for, as that has been one of the bigger problems i have noticed when people have trouble finding them. you should hunt whenever you can and conditions are adequate. you should keep trying new locations as some are more bountiful than others.

you will find after you have found some once or more that they start to be easier and easier to find each time [often, learning to spot them is one of the greater hurtles in mushroom hunting].

finaly, i musht advise you to aquire permission to be on any private property you may wish to hunt on or at the least any property you will be frequenting.

good luck, don't give up and be safe,
concrete.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1816408 - 08/15/03 10:48 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Hello, Yes too much rain will put the mushroom fruits into hiding.

There is a certain balance (of weather) that can be felt, if you Shroom enough and pick enough for long enough than you can almost just feel it in the air and the sun and the rain. There is a certain balance of those three things that the mushrooms prefer..

I try to avoid getting wet in the field. The mushrooms grow better at higher elevations where it is not wet. Though during these summertimes puddles of water are just a natural thing, when i know there will be puddles of water to walk through, then i do not wear socks, and i just wear shoes, and just walk through it.

It just takes a little bit of learning, but florida (despite all the mean looking spiders alligators and snakes) is a safe place to roam the woods. Avoid being knee high in water at all costs, just turn around and go the opposite direction towards dry land, the shrooms will be found there. Don't tromp through anything difficult like thick scrub or deep water, because the shrooms are not there, they are in places that are simple to reach..ive never seen a wild Shroom that was not in simple picking range, the shrooms do this purposely because they want humans to find them, easily.

So yeah, just take it a bit more easy, and follow the Shrooms, they are where it is always easy to pick.

Keep shroomin,
GG

OfflineDEATH666
Adonal
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1816653 - 08/15/03 12:52 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

There is a lot of snakes out in the swampy area mostly cotton mouth snakes. The gators wont bother you unless they have a nest.WATCH OUT FOR COTTON MOUTH SNAKES! I see them here all the time i live in florida near the coast of horse shoe.West coast!!!

--------------------
Ah Shit

OfflineDEATH666
Adonal
 User Gallery

Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: DEATH666]
    #1816656 - 08/15/03 12:55 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

OH and i got a lot of shrooms in my feild and the one next to it has none at all its about 20yrds over the road!!

--------------------
Ah Shit

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #1845647 - 08/24/03 04:46 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

>"I figure the farmers use anti-fungal shit for the cows."
>Thats just an urban legend.

I'm thinking of your choice of words... shouldn't it be more of a country legend? Also, I've heard of fungicides being used at cow farms. But I don't know how they use it.

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1845690 - 08/24/03 05:07 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

"finaly figured out is was my sister getting pissed at me for taking so long ont he prowl. "

HA HA HA HA HA HA
thats a good one!!!!

something simmilar happened to me once, it involved a mouthfull of some good buds, some friends were following us in a white car. they even pulled up behind us in a driveway and we were ripped.
somebody yelled "cops" and i basically said "okay, here we go"
and rammed about 10 big joints paper and all in to my mouth.
then i saw who it was, and the weedy mess just sorta rolled out of my dumbfounded face, i was PISSED,
i gave the soggyt mess to some guy that was there, and said "enjoy"

--------------------

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: bum]
    #1845804 - 08/24/03 05:56 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Is this a F'ing joke? Do shrooms in the wild exist?!?!?!? [Re: Tremor1127]
    #1846193 - 08/24/03 08:31 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

The farmers can spray their fields with an antifungal spray that will last anywhere from 1-5 years. Most of them don't cause it costs too much and doesnt give them any more profit.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #1846231 - 08/24/03 08:44 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Effing*

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Ranch Dressing

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification