Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Finally
    #1813221 - 08/14/03 11:07 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Bill Introduced to Restore the Right of Self-Defense in D.C.

FAIRFAX, VA - The "District of Columbia Personal Protection Act," a bill that seeks to restore the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding D.C. residents, was introduced today in the United States Senate. This legislation was introduced by Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT).

The introduction of this legislation comes on the heels of recent FBI statistics that reveal D.C. has once again reclaimed the dubious title of the murder capital of the U.S. The legislation would not undermine any existing law directed at prosecuting unlawful conduct. It would also leave in place strict penalties for gun possession by criminals and for violent crimes committed with guns.

"D.C.'s draconian gun ban has effectively stripped its law-abiding residents of their basic right to defend themselves and their loved ones," said Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association (NRA). "This restriction has left the good people of our nation's capital defenseless and at the mercy of ruthless violent criminals who plague this city. The ?District of Columbia Personal Protection Act' will remedy this dangerous injustice."

Under D.C.'s current gun laws, all handguns are banned unless they were owned and registered in the District before 1977. Residents of the District, even the few remaining legal handgun owners, are prohibited from carrying their handguns in their own homes. Rifles and shotguns that can be legally registered and owned in the District must be stored unloaded, disassembled or locked, rendering them useless for self-defense, unless the gun is kept at a place of business.

"Apparently D.C.'s elected officials believe it's more important to let people protect their business assets, than to protect their homes and families. The right to defend oneself and one's family is unconditional. The legislation Senator Hatch has introduced today will restore that fundamental right for our capitol's citizens," added Chris W. Cox, chief lobbyist of the NRA.

Contrary to any "home rule" objections, Congress clearly has the power to fix this problem. Article I, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution grants Congress the power "[to exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever]" over the District. When Congress chose to delegate home rule to the District in the 1970s, it specified that legislation by the District must be "consistent with the Constitution of the United States" and "reserve[d] the right, at any time, to exercise its constitutional authority as legislature for the District, by enacting legislation for the District on any subject." District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act (P.L. 93-198), secs. 302 and 601.

The 132 year-old NRA is the nation's oldest civil rights group, and advocates enforcement of existing laws to prosecute and punish violent criminals. The NRA is the nation's leader in teaching gun safety and promoting marksmanship among law enforcement officers nationwide. The Association has approximately 4 million members across America, including the District of Columbia.

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Finally [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1813321 - 08/14/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hopefully they will get it through for the people in DC. I would never live there specifically because of the gun laws they have now.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Finally [Re: shakta]
    #1813323 - 08/14/03 11:42 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It'll pass. The gun law pendulum is finally swinging in the proper direction

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1813334 - 08/14/03 11:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Does that mean the other 'assualt weapons' ban that was proposed will go away? Do you think there is a chance of repealing the first one.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Finally [Re: shakta]
    #1813340 - 08/14/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No repeal is necessary. It has a sunset provision and expires in another year.

While Bush has said he'd sign a renewal, it would have to pass the house and senate first. Fat chance of that happening.  :grin:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1813411 - 08/14/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

More good news. Start crying you anti-gun weasels!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1813461 - 08/14/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Very nice. Crime rates have dropped here significantly since we got the concealed weapons thing going. I am looking for a .45 auto right now, just gotta save up some more money.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1813468 - 08/14/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I cry for the sheer stupidity that is america..... :frown:

YOu might as well live in anarchy because if you need a gun in your house to protect yourself, the government has failed miserably.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

Re: Finally [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1813511 - 08/14/03 12:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

can any government eliminate all crime?

can any police unit get to your house faster than you can reach into the nightstand drawer?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Finally [Re: ]
    #1813515 - 08/14/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

can any police unit get to your house faster than you can reach into the nightstand drawer?

Stop using logic and common sense damn you!

--------------------

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #1813524 - 08/14/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Obviously you have never come home late at night to find your house broken into and the thief climbing out the back window of your home.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Finally [Re: ]
    #1813532 - 08/14/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

Probably most if they get thier priorities straight and stop enforcing victimles crimes.

Quote:

mushmaster said:can any police unit get to your house faster than you can reach into the nightstand drawer?

No, but my dogs can. Actually living in canada i don't really need to worry about some coke head breaking into my house with a gun anyone can get,with a bit of cash. There just aren't enough of them here....uh..guns that is.... For the record i would own a gun if i lived in america, which is another reason i never would.

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Finally [Re: Meat_Log_Smurf]
    #1813538 - 08/14/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Meat_Log_Smurf said:
Obviously you have never come home late at night to find your house broken into and the thief climbing out the back window of your home. 

No i haven't.  And my views probably would change if that happened too, mabye even if my house was just broken into.

But i don't think the thief would get along too well with my rotti, and rotti-pit cross. :smirk:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1813551 - 08/14/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Azmodeus said:
Quote:

mushmaster said:

Probably most if they get thier priorities straight and stop enforcing victimles crimes.

Amen to that.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Finally [Re: Cornholio]
    #1813561 - 08/14/03 12:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You know that's not true.

Unless you have a very polite crook who's willing to wait for them to show up.

"Excuse me Mr. Rapist sir, would you mind terribly waiting here until the cops show up?"

or

"say guy, how about not stabbing me until the cops and ambulance come around the corner.... that's a good lil' fella!"

--------------------

Anonymous

#1813565 - 08/14/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you people really think that the end of the war on drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc, will bring an end to all crime?

no more drug war, no more robberies?

come now. that is ridiculous.

regardless... last time i checked, we've got a drug war, and we've got crime, and people's houses are getting broken into, businesses robbed, and people mugged...

while you're working on sorting that out, people should have every right to defend themselves, no?

would you rather have a cop on every block or a gun in every house?

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1813573 - 08/14/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Its not true that police should enforce victimless crimes only?! :confused:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1813575 - 08/14/03 12:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The point was that a HUGE amount of crime is drug related. Get rid of the war on drugs, and crime drops significantly.

--------------------

OfflineFileSoup
    #1813578 - 08/14/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do you know why murder rates have been going up in DC? Because fairly recently Richmond Virginia had more murders than DC. Then in Richmond they passed a law that said any person in possession of a illegal gun gets 5 a mandatory prison sentence. They had big billboards on the highway about it. People were quoted as saying they would rather have a pound of coke in their car than an illegal gun. So... crime rate went down drastically but unfortunately it all flocked to DC. Tough guns laws work. We need tougher guns laws all throughout this country.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1813584 - 08/14/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure that'll be very comforting to rape victims and others.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]