Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekenjaman
half-a-centurypsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pinellas County, Florida
Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida
    #1813069 - 08/14/03 10:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Although I've lived in Florida for 25 years - I am a relatively newbie at hunting down here. I have not found any cubensis yet - however I have found what I believe to be some Copelandia Cyanescens in a field near my home. Everything looks towards them being "copies" - jet black spore print. These mushrooms are all small with caps between 1-2cm and stem lengths of 3-8cm. Stem thickness is about 1-3mm. Color is off-white to deep blue - after picking they all turn blue in my bag. I have ingested my finds twice. First time was about 6 caps and this morning about 12 caps. The site on "Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida" lists these mushrooms as "moderately to very potent". The effects were very pleasant but not strong and short-lived both times lasting only about 2 hours - no nausea or any other side effects. My question is - are these in fact what they call "blue meanies" or have I been ingesting another type that looks like them?

--------------------
LIFE IS WONDERFUL!!!
Is it god or is it prozac?
Or are they one and the same?

LiC - kenja

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDEATH666
Adonal
 User Gallery

Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: kenjaman]
    #1814272 - 08/14/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think only the bigger ones do anything becaus i got the same thing here i ate a fairley big one about a 1 in. cap and it was about like eating three cubes the same size.

--------------------
Ah Shit

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: DEATH666]
    #1814288 - 08/14/03 04:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Those blue meanies didn't get their name by being wimpy. What you are describing does indeed sound like copes, but a picture would be needed for a sure id.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

Offlinecube421
420guy
Loc: TX
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: NariusFractal]
    #1814828 - 08/14/03 06:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

" My question is - are these in fact what they call "blue meanies" or have I been ingesting another type that looks like them? "

I'm not to sure where Pin county is in Flo but yes I do believe you have copes without a doubt 110% because the only other mush that looks like it is the Pan- Antillarum and those most def are not active at All. no bruising of blue, etc-- but they do have a Jet Black print

The MERE fact that you ask this question I find to be quite---- ummmm.. alarming/ disturbing because you Don't even know what you are ingesting beyond a reasonable doubt., so that is pretty Bad I think- read the FAQs, post pics- Be more careful before you ingest and un- ID'd specimen.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1814922 - 08/14/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"The Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida"

It was a dark November night and I was out Mushroom hunting in Manatee County, Florida. It had rained the day before so I figured that the recent rain would increase my chances of finding mushrooms. The "habitat" (or place the mushrooms grow) that I was searching, was a cow pasture. The objective of the evening was to score at least one Psilocybe Cubensis but that evening I did not find a single Cube. Instead, I discovered an equally fascinating mushroom.

The first one I found was growing singularly, also known as growing "Solitary". I easily spotted its small white circular cap against the background of dark grass. I knelt down to pick it hoping that it would be a small Cubensis, but as I carefully pulled the mushroom from off the dung, the stem felt too thin to be a Cubensis. I also noticed that the mushroom stem did not have a veil. Since it lacked a dark purple colored veil, I then knew the mushroom I held was definitely not a Cubensis.

With a little help from the moonlight, I thought my eyes saw tints of blue bruising on that mushroom, so I held onto it. I continued to search for Shrooms and within a short time, discovered more similar mushrooms growing solitary and directly from aged cow manure. I collected a total of three "specimens" (or samples) and then decided to "bag" (or take home) the mushrooms to inspect them in further detail.

Once I got home, I took what I had found out of the bag and revealed the three small light-yellow colored mushrooms with grayish colored gills. The first thing that I was looking for was the "blue bruising" (a trait of which magical mushrooms are well known for). I noticed it right away. All three mushrooms had tints of blue where damaged. A very beautiful and exciting blue to see at that! The delicate stems and caps had all positively stained blue.

At that point I was already anxious to "bioassay" (or test by means of personally ingesting) them myself to verify if they were hallucinogenic, or not. But being the witty and intelligent Shroomer that I am, I knew that I first needed to positively identify them as magical Shrooms. So I followed the proper procedures for making spore prints (by laying the cap onto a white piece of paper with the gills facing down) and then left the mushrooms to sit overnight.

When I woke up the next morning, I lifted the caps off of the white paper to reveal their spore prints. The print color turned out black. I highly suspected that what I had was "psychoactive" (containing hallucinogenic chemicals), but I also knew that Psilocybe mushrooms all rendered dark purple colored "spore deposits" (another term for spore prints). The mushrooms stained blue, so they had to be magic...but why (if it was magic) would the spore deposits be black and not dark purple??

With that question lingering to be answered, I knew that I needed to do further research to verify the mushrooms exact identity. So I began looking through my notes (taken from the internet) and I located a photograph and description of Panaeolus cyanescens. The picture sure seemed to match up correctly. And the description said that Panaeolus mushrooms render black spore prints. That was my answer. The mushrooms must be Panaeolus cyanescens, synonymously named Copelandia cyanescens, and nicknamed Blue Meanies.

I read through the rest of the description for Blue Meanies and it noted that it also has other "look-a-like" mushrooms. Look-a-likes are defined as mushrooms that can sometimes be confused with other ones due to their close resemblances in appearance. In this case, the look-a-likes are also "coprophilous" (growing from dung) and similar in "stature" (or size and shape). Reading further on, the text described that none of the look-a-likes are hallucinogenic and also, none of them stain blue. Since the specimens I collected all stained a very noticeable blue, that eliminated the possibilities of them being the suggested look-a-likes.

The identification process had now helped me to safely find a "Positive I.D." (or Positive Identity) of the mushrooms in question. All attributes of the mushroom Panaeolus cyanescens matched up correctly. And those attributes are:
Habitat: Growing on cow dung.
Locality: Florida.
Bruising Color: Blue.
Spore Color: Black.
Gill Color: Gray to darker black.
Cap Color: Light-yellow, bruising blue.
Stem Color: Light-yellow, bruising blue.
Veil: None.
Look-A-Likes: All possibilities considered.

I was now 100% certain that the mushrooms were magic ones. So without further a-due, I chewed them, tasted them and swallowed. The bioassay was a wonderful experience for me and I yearned for my next visit to the field to find more of the same great Shroom-caps. During the next few months I continued finding them. Usually I would discover 1 or 2 Shrooms on each cow patty, but occasionally I found 3 or 4 at a time.

Soon I learned to easily recognize that mushroom as "Copelandia cyanescens" (the scientific name for the mushrooms nicknamed, Blue Meanies). When the summer rainy season rolled around, I was blessed with the gift of collecting many more Copelandia. In fact, I found such prolific numbers of Blue Meanies in the cow fields, that there wasn't enough time in the day to pick them all! They grew "Gregariously", or numerously in dense groups. Some of the cow patties had up to 100 Copelandia growing from them.

Not to say that "Copes" (short for Copelandia's) were not the only mushrooms I was finding out there. "Fakes" (slang for the look-a-likes) were also out there. I learned that when collecting Blue Meanies, it is most important to check every mushroom for bluing, because afterwards when sorting through my collection bag I would find a few fakes I had accidentally picked. Fakes sometimes end up in even the best of Shroom hunter's harvests. When picking hundreds of Blue Meanies in an hour's time, mistakes like that can happen. That is why it is most important to double-check all those mushrooms, for bluing.

Every time I went to collect them I became more skilled at distinguishing the real Copes from the fakes. Besides the obvious fact that every Blue Meanie bruises blue, I also found them to have a few other characteristics that help to easier and faster separate them from the fakes. Younger specimens sometimes have a beautiful orange tinge in the center of their cap. On a good day, the orange tinge is a spotty tawny brown splattered on the caps, a truly gorgeous mushroom it can be! The more mature and larger of Copes change to pallid gray (almost silver) in color. Lastly, after the Shrooms have passed maturity and dropped all their spores, they wrinkle and the final color is a very dark-dark blue/black.

When the amount of Shrooms I collected became excessive, I began preserving them for a later usage. I found that drying Blue Meanies is sometimes not an easy task. I would lay the mushrooms down on a piece of paper overnight to dry and come back to see that half of my Shrooms turned into a black goo. The black-goo (as I call it) is actually very natural for all species of Panaeolus, including Blue Meanies. The technical term for this is called "deliquesce". Deliquesce is a process of auto-digestion whereby the mushroom is reduced to a black liquid and becomes paper-thin. I learned the mushrooms must be dried faster, so for drying Copelandia with a 99% success rate, I highly recommend using a food dehydrator.

You may notice that I have made no mention of how potent or what the dosage of Copelandia cyanescens is. The recommended dosages have been omitted and are of course for you to figure out on your own. But I will have you know that after many personal experiences with eating them, I have learn why exactly the mushroom has earned the nickname Blue Meanies.

Have fun but be safe.
And as always,
Keep on Shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1815389 - 08/14/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I wanted to show the large growing blue meanie but could not figure which one it was onthe shroomery.

Here are some larger than the ones in GGreatOne234?s nice photo in dung. The name blue meanies was given to Australian Copelandia shrooms by Biker groups of shroom surfers along the Gold Coast Region of Queensland, Australian and rightly named so after the blue meanies of the beattles film yelow submarine indicating their potency. Do not collect these in plastic bags. Use a large ritz cracker box for collecting and do not move the shrooms around flinging the carrying vessel to and fro when collecting. ALso hardly ever squeeze the stem, A light hand held between two fingers and nmanure fliping with an extra finger can lift the shroom gently from its growing place with little ease. The less blueing the less loss of potency. They liose over fifty or more perccent if not handled properly or dried properly.

Observe the color in Great One?s photo. Thats how they should look when you get them home,

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1815393 - 08/14/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ANd in regards to the closed forum thread of the 3 poster who allegedly found shrooms in haystacks bluing. Coprinus turn black inky color and Copes have, as far as I know not rally been found in haystacks anywhere, although both paul Stamets and I have obseerved over the yearas oen or two copelandia shrooms in smashed horse manure with hay in the ground. But that is not the same as composting hay.

mj

Offlinekenjaman
half-a-centurypsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1816707 - 08/15/03 11:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

gee thanx for the replies..... GGreatOne - your experience is much the way I went about discearning my find to be safe for ingestion.... I've done alot of stupid things in my life and so far I've survived the outcomes - so when I go shroom hunting, I do attempt to exercise a measure of attention in my task as to minimize personal risk. Of coarse - if people didn't occaisionally get hit by buses and die from various accidents or other "unintentional mis-haps" - Some areas of the Earth could face over-population. So I guess I have either been real lucky in avoiding harm in hunting shrooms or it's just not my time to go yet......

Thank you all for your help and I'm going to continue to check that cow field after good rains. But boy - does it smell bad there. Kind of like a strong amonia smell but different - is it cow whiz? I haven't smelled it during other hunting trips.

--------------------
LIFE IS WONDERFUL!!!

LiC - kenja

Offlinekenjaman
half-a-centurypsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: NariusFractal]
    #1852280 - 08/26/03 05:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sheister said:
Those blue meanies didn't get their name by being wimpy.

Yepper..... I'm finding that to be true right now. My hunt this morning had pretty slim results - about a half dozen little tiny baby shrooms. Caps were not even 1/2cm in diameter. I started feeling the effects in like 15 minutes. It's been about 45 minutes since ingestion and already experiencing nice visuals.

peace, kenjaman.

--------------------
LIFE IS WONDERFUL!!!

LiC - kenja

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1854842 - 08/27/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it is getting a little bit late in the summer now for finding great amounts of Shrooms, but they are still growing.
-You see how the clouds are not there in the morning, but then around lunchtime all the puffy clouds are up in the sky, and now in a few hours they will all rain and pour, summer weather, rains everyday.

Offlinesir_eel_green
wildcrafter, chemhack
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida, Hernando Co Flag
    #4575152 - 08/24/05 02:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

maybe late for the meanies, but my experience in observation over the last four years has shown me cubes fruiting a plethura (copious bounty) well into september, often that month being the best if there is heavy precipitation, and signs of withering yeilds becoming apparent towards mid october. Then again it depends on the weather, but the primary factor in my experience in determining yeild has been location. To me, weather and location are the big two, with weather being obvious, and location being lucky. Good luck to all hunters in finding a "hotspot" they are comfortable with. If you search diligently for this highly productive area (im used to seeing at least 2-3 caps a minute), you and a small circle of friends should be well set to enjoy yourself until next years season after a only a few trips to the garden.

--------------------
Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap, lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination.—Alan Watts

http://deoxy.org/index.htm

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #4575422 - 08/24/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I figure I will show my Pics from Texas..
I hate to here you eating mushrooms you don't have a 100% ID on.. In some cases it only takes one!
So be safe...

Yessup :thumbup:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: YESSUP]
    #4575578 - 08/24/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I find that some active Psilocybes will have a strange, shiny, silverish pattern on the stem. I don't know how this is relevant or even if this is a consistent characteristic of Psilocybes, but i just happened to notice this pattern on the Copelandia cyanescens in YESSUP's pic.
I have never picked an inactive dung lover that exhibited such patterns, so that may help in ID of fresh specimens (but don't come to a conclusion based on the shiny stem alone).

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4575639 - 08/24/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yep.. I have seen the same shine e ness.... Its almost like a clear pearl coating you would see on a custom car eh?

YessuP :thumbup:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: YESSUP]
    #4575744 - 08/24/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

YES! thats the word i was looking for.
It looks like mother-of-pearl, or pearlscent from the custom car perspective...

OfflineHereComesTheRain
The Hunter
Male

Loc: Marion/florida
    #8551428 - 06/22/08 05:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Im glad you can eat just a little bit and trip.  I eat or make juce out of about 25 to 100 caps and make coolaid out of them.  If i ate 6 to 12 i would be angry i did not have 30 more!

--------------------
I hate eating mushrooms! But the outcome is so worth it!

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: HereComesTheRain]
    #8551471 - 06/22/08 05:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

1) you brought up a thread from 2005
2) why do you only eat the caps? The stems are perfectly active
3) we dose ourselves based on weights and scales (some of us eye ball it) but either way 25 'caps' can be huge or smal
4) are you talking about copes or cubes?l

Invisibledu981r
Grower

Loc: Toyota
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: HereComesTheRain]
    #8551476 - 06/22/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HereComesTheRain said:
  If i ate 6 to 12 i would be angry i did not have 30 more!

I'd be "angry" if I ate that many Pan cyans, too.

Yowza.

--------------------
"Karma is just an E-L away from delicious."

Offlinepsilophile82
stilltrillchillpill>realdeal
 User Gallery

Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: du981r]
    #8551945 - 06/22/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

du981r said:
Quote:

HereComesTheRain said:
  If i ate 6 to 12 i would be angry i did not have 30 more!

I'd be "angry" if I ate that many Pan cyans, too.

Yowza.

Yessir that's a good way to get stuck on the other side for a while....those little buggers are potent:eek:

--------------------
"chaos is the nature of order"

OfflineHereComesTheRain
The Hunter
Male

Loc: Marion/florida
Re: Blue Meanies of Southwest Florida [Re: psilophile82]
    #8558752 - 06/24/08 03:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Im telling you for sure. It takes me more to trip hard than others.  I have always been like that.. And i do eat the stems also.  I just said caps... dont know why.  But i cut them in to liittle bits, then measure the volume of them from there.  But every time i do it, I make about 2-3 cups of juce made with a good 2 hands full of choped mushrooms or more.  But like i said.  I am not looking for the level 1-2 or 3's  I like other worlds to come to me.

--------------------
I hate eating mushrooms! But the outcome is so worth it!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract