Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleKinky
Loc: West, USA
Food dehydrators at thrift stores...?
    #18119969 - 04/16/13 06:45 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I see a lot of you have found these at thrift stores. My question is how hard were they to find and (if you don't mind) what city do you live in?

I just went to 6 thrift stores, mostly goodwills, with no luck. I asked a couple employees if they get them in often and was told they had never seen them. Most of the stores had tons of appliances too. For example, between the 6 stores they easily had over 50 humidifiers. There is another ~8 thrift stores within 13 miles that I'm going to try but I'm feeling very discouraged.

Also how much (dry or wet weight) can you fit in yours? Please post the model or tray size and how many trays.

Cheers!
K

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: Kinky]
    #18120002 - 04/16/13 06:51 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

if you cant find one a box fan works just as well :thumbup:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Offlinellama_police
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: tripdawg420]
    #18120013 - 04/16/13 06:53 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I grabbed a great one off eBay for $35. Great for drying bananas etc :smirk:

InvisiblePinkus_Trip
Male

Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: llama_police]
    #18120120 - 04/16/13 07:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I see them at local flea markets all the time I got mine for $5 bucks :shrug:............Or if you see one In someones house and they dont ever use it offer them a low price to take it off there hands :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleKinky
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: llama_police]
    #18121551 - 04/17/13 12:04 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Also are PCs hard to find at thrift stores? I didn't see any of them either.

Quote:

tripdawg420 said:
if you cant find one a box fan works just as well :thumbup:

That was my original plan but after hours of reading about drying methods and what effects potency I came to the conclusion that a dehydrator maybe slightly better than open air. Plus I can't lay them in the backyard because dirt/dust is a major issue there, the house has pets & very little space, and the garage isn't a great option for several (time consuming but fixable) reasons. So if I can find several dehydrators used/cheap I'd like to go that route.

I did however find a great Bionaire tower humidifier for $5. Plumbing won't be easy but it'll provide a ton of air exchange. Though I'm tempted to just use it for my house since it humidifies 700-1400sq.ft :ooo:

Quote:

llama_police said:
I grabbed a great one off eBay for $35. Great for drying bananas etc :smirk:

I've been thinking about eBay but I absolutely hate them. I sold a $6,500 auction to someone and went to South America for a few months, the buyer claimed they never received it and ebay/paypal refunded his money as well as closing my eBay and pay pal accounts. Even though I had tracking numbers they wouldn't give me my money back since I didn't handle the claim in the allotted time frame. Pay pal wouldn't let me have another account either so I had to register another business just to do so and lost way more than $6,500 in pissed customers and lost orders. Plus some of my bills went through pay pal and I lost a phone number I had for 13years. Sorry for the long ass rant but 4 years later I'm stilled super pissed!

InvisibleKinky
    #18126089 - 04/17/13 07:59 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Another 9 thrift stores, several pawn shops, 55miles, and 3.25hrs later I haven't seen a single PC, dehydrator, or impulse sealer. I asked someone at each store if they get any of these in often with definite no on the impulse sealers and PCs but apparently they get dehydrators from time to time. This is so frustrating :mad: There's another 4-8 thrift stores that would only take me 3 hrs to go to but after that they're 5+ miles apart from each other and 10+ miles from me. Will also hit up the 4 closest to me again in 1-2 weeks and bribe employees to call me if they get any of these things

I easily saw 75 bread makers tho...which I would think is just like dehydrators as far as ppl buying and never using before donating to a thrift store.

Offlinedirtyjerz
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey Flag
    #18126516 - 04/17/13 09:09 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kinky said:
Another 9 thrift stores, several pawn shops, 55miles, and 3.25hrs later I haven't seen a single PC, dehydrator, or impulse sealer. I asked someone at each store if they get any of these in often with definite no on the impulse sealers and PCs but apparently they get dehydrators from time to time. This is so frustrating :mad: There's another 4-8 thrift stores that would only take me 3 hrs to go to but after that they're 5+ miles apart from each other and 10+ miles from me. Will also hit up the 4 closest to me again in 1-2 weeks and bribe employees to call me if they get any of these things

I easily saw 75 bread makers tho...which I would think is just like dehydrators as far as ppl buying and never using before donating to a thrift store.

Not for nothin but with what you're spending in gas, time, etc. I'm thinkin you should just buy a new one. I'm about to. Amazon has em on sale.

--------------------
I'm all out of fucks to give...

FORTIS CADERE, CEDERE NON POTEST

(My very first Harvest!)

InvisiblePinkus_Trip
Male

Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: dirtyjerz]
    #18127226 - 04/17/13 11:15 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: Pinkus_Trip]
    #18127526 - 04/18/13 12:24 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I scored a Mr. Coffee dehydrator from Goodwill but I think that was the only one I've ever seen there.  So there aren't a lot of them compared to other stuff. :shrug:

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: Pinkus_Trip]
    #18127893 - 04/18/13 03:21 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pinkus_Trip said:
I see them at local flea markets all the time I got mine for $5 bucks :shrug:............Or if you see one In someones house and they dont ever use it offer them a low price to take it off there hands :shrug:

youre just like me lol. i try not going to deep in my pockets unless i have too. friends, craigslist, flea markets and thrift stores.

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: twistedty]
    #18128638 - 04/18/13 09:42 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

ya me too, this hobby cant cost me an arm and a leg so i am always looking for cheap deals on useful stuff.

--------------------

InvisiblePinkus_Trip
Male

#18129013 - 04/18/13 11:14 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

twistedty said:
Quote:

Pinkus_Trip said:

youre just like me lol. i try not going to deep in my pockets unless i have too. friends, craigslist, flea markets and thrift stores.

I love craigslist :laugh: And being a cheap scape helps :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleKinky
Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: dirtyjerz]
    #18130710 - 04/18/13 05:02 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dirtyjerz said:
Not for nothin but with what you're spending in gas, time, etc. I'm thinkin you should just buy a new one. I'm about to. Amazon has em on sale.

For my needs a new dehydrator with enough trays would be $400. Two 23qt PC and impulse sealer is nearly another $200. So I'm not there yet.

If I can't find one I'm just going to use a Modified ~45 gallon garbage can w/ box fan... Fan dry for 16-30hrs then put the top on/seal it and use desiccant till cracker dry. Then when I'm not drying I can use the garbage can to store all my large bags of verm, peat, ect I'd still prefer a dehydrator tho.

Edited by Kinky (04/18/13 05:03 PM)

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #18130831 - 04/18/13 05:30 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I wish people would stop with the 'just go to the thrift shop, get one for like five bucks.'  I go to thrift stores fairly regularly and have never seen one there.  And I'm not going to spend 30+ on one new :shrug:

--------------------

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#18131035 - 04/18/13 06:11 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Kinky said:

For my needs a new dehydrator with enough trays would be $400. Two 23qt PC and impulse sealer is nearly another $200. So I'm not there yet.

If I can't find one I'm just going to use a Modified ~45 gallon garbage can w/ box fan... Fan dry for 16-30hrs then put the top on/seal it and use desiccant till cracker dry. Then when I'm not drying I can use the garbage can to store all my large bags of verm, peat, ect I'd still prefer a dehydrator tho.

dude lol for 400 bucks you could get 5 top quality dehydrators with ALL the trays.

and a garbage can with desiccant is way more trouble than loading a dehydrator.

IF i could fill my 2 dehydrators full it would be over 2 pounds dry i bet.

and i spent 20 bucks on my american harvests from a thrift shop and got extra trays online for another 20ish i think

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: fbi365]
    #18131196 - 04/18/13 06:43 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fbi365 said:
Yeah, I wish people would stop with the 'just go to the thrift shop, get one for like five bucks.'  I go to thrift stores fairly regularly and have never seen one there.  And I'm not going to spend 30+ on one new :shrug:

alot easier than constantly buying desiccant. its a one time purchase doesnt make a mess like desiccant boxes etc or take up but a little bit of counterspace and i make jerky and dried fruits with it too i think it is a VERY handy piece of equipment

and this is just a weeks worth of harvesting and i only had to bust out my backup dehydrator once

Offlinefbi365
Captain of the Sinking Ship
Male

Loc: Nowhere
    #18131269 - 04/18/13 06:56 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Impressive harvest :thumbup:  those freshies look great. 

Trust me, I want one.  Just don't want to shell out for one.  Ill continue to keep my eyes open. I'm sure one will turn up for myself and OP

--------------------

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Re: Food dehydrators at thrift stores...? [Re: fbi365]
    #18131275 - 04/18/13 06:57 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

craigslist, ebay, yard sales, and your grandmas etc

InvisibleKinky
    #18132746 - 04/18/13 11:23 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Those of you with dehydrators, how much clearance between trays is there and what model? The only one I saw listed was under 2". I could cut the center out of a tray and put the largest mushies on the tray below.

Quote:

fbi365 said:

Exactly! When I was researching drying options and dehydrators I kept hearing that and assumed it would be fairly easy to find one.

Quote:

twistedty said:
dude lol for 400 bucks you could get 5 top quality dehydrators with ALL the trays.

and a garbage can with desiccant is way more trouble than loading a dehydrator.

IF i could fill my 2 dehydrators full it would be over 2 pounds dry i bet.

and i spent 20 bucks on my american harvests from a thrift shop and got extra trays online for another 20ish i think

Uhm where? Two Nesco garden masters with 34 (34sq.ft drying) trays total is $437 (best price) shipped new...and some reviews suggest they may not dry evenly with more than 8 trays either. However I did find an awesome 24 tray/56sq.ft drying top of the line dehydrator for $430 new but I'm not sure the therm is adjustable, if not it is at 160F which is a bit too hot.

With the modified garbage can I would try only air drying and resort to desiccant if needed. Either way I certainly would prefer a dehydrator.

What model dehydrators do you have and how many trays? Maybe I'm under estimating what they can hold.

Quote:

twistedty said:
craigslist, ebay, yard sales, and your grandmas etc

I've been trying craigslist but not having great luck. Most aren't temp adjustable and they all are over 15 miles from me through really congested areas. Then a majority are priced kinda high for what they are. Still though it is looking like my best option and I'm probably going to pursue them.

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

#18133896 - 04/19/13 05:20 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-50-Snackmaster-Dehydrator/sim/B00004W4V4/2

i have this one but the 80s model with 8 trays and it can hold up to 12 trays. each tray can hold an oz give or take a lil bit.

and ya i pack em so full that the trays dont sit down on eachother but in an hour the boomers shrink and the trays settle.

wow i just noticed the price of that goddamn thing.  that sucks! i got mine new in box from thrift store and its vintage.

http://www.homesteadharvest.com/nesco-american-harvest-food-dehydrator-fd-61-4-tray-food-dehydrator-with-spices-fruit-roll-sheet.html

id try this one or similiar i suppose.  they can hold alot.  34sq ft of drying space seems like overkill unless your doing 50tubs

lol didnt know i had a 230$ dehydrator

Edited by twistedty (04/19/13 05:26 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom