Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCapn Blue Beard
The Majestic Beard
Male

Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: Blackd0ve420]
    #18073070 - 04/07/13 04:47 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

You have to remember that sunflower seeds are hollow, they will pool water inside the shell like little cells and leak the water continuously. It will be difficult to get them to properly dry

--------------------

My Level 5 Trip Report
Having a Troubled Grow? Read This!
Capn Blue Beards Brothel -  Old Grow Log
"I honestly dont grow drugs. I just try to provide them the perfect environment, they have to grow themselves."- MoGrow
** I have been gone for 10 months, any and all information I supply could be old, wrong and unintentionally fictional. I apologize for this in advance and recommend you wait for more information before settling on my advice.**

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: ----------> Flag
Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: Capn Blue Beard]
    #18073151 - 04/07/13 05:07 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Capn Blue Beard said:
You have to remember that sunflower seeds are hollow, they will pool water inside the shell like little cells and leak the water continuously. It will be difficult to get them to properly dry

Like I said it's not just sunflower seeds its wbs too that I have the same problem. Though I will keep what you said in mind, perhaps they'll need longer drying periods.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
Laugh at the world and be free,
Then Just breathe, Just breathe...
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!
:peace: :nyan: :peace:

Offlinegoldcaphunter
EMS Medic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Massachusetts Flag
    #18073159 - 04/07/13 05:10 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Maybe next time you could break the seeds (not mush them up) but break them,then let them dry,sterilize ect?

--------------------

The picture to the far left is a reminder to our users to stay safe and healthy, that's my third open heart surgery due to over use of amps. Stay safe kiddos :wink:

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: goldcaphunter]
    #18073166 - 04/07/13 05:13 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

goldcaphunter said:
Maybe next time you could break the seeds (not mush them up) but break them,then let them dry,sterilize ect?

I'll experiment with crushing them too and see if that helps.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

Offlinegoldcaphunter
EMS Medic
Male User Gallery

#18073210 - 04/07/13 05:23 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Just a thought,might help with moisture content :shrug:

And what tek are you using for your wbs?

--------------------

The picture to the far left is a reminder to our users to stay safe and healthy, that's my third open heart surgery due to over use of amps. Stay safe kiddos :wink:

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#18073221 - 04/07/13 05:24 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Foo man's for both wbs/sunflower.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#18073238 - 04/07/13 05:28 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

On second look the two wbs jars I made (made same time as flower) turned out fine. No wet grains or pooling...course I didn't use ms for that either..but that is probably right..the water capacity for sunflower seeds is higher..

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

Offlinegoldcaphunter
EMS Medic
Male User Gallery

#18073254 - 04/07/13 05:31 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Good! :thumbup:

I find ms injection messes with my moisture content as well.

--------------------

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#18073274 - 04/07/13 05:36 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

goldcaphunter said:
Good! :thumbup:

I find ms injection messes with my moisture content as well.

True that was my first thought because it was excessive pooling...like I was psst when I saw it lol.

Like I posted I just made my first pour agar plates (They're much bigger then my last ones :laugh:), so hopefully that'll go well so I'll have some agar wedges to drop in there instead of MS Lol. I heard for MS and quart jars you should use about 1-1.5 cc and spread it in like a stream around the edges..

Also for MS shake or not?....I heard that if you shake with ms you throw the spores away from each other and you lower your chances of them sporalating...but then I've heard other people shake -_-. Thanks for the responses btw guys!

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#18080626 - 04/09/13 06:39 AM (11 years, 9 days ago)

Well one of my TC pf cakes started colonizing..about dine size right now. [^_^]

Also two sunflower jars PEU seem to be colonizing...it's a bit wet at the bottom and I see white ropes or colonizing white parts..looks like an LC floating lol..keeping an eye on it...I shook one jar and left the other to see what'd happen. I also noticed some of the jars didn't pool anymore..so I guess the shaking helped.

Anyways not much else to report so I'll let you know when more happens.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

Offlinegoldcaphunter
EMS Medic
Male User Gallery

#18082097 - 04/09/13 02:07 PM (11 years, 9 days ago)

Nice!

--------------------

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

#18092036 - 04/11/13 02:04 PM (11 years, 7 days ago)

Well tomorrow is Week 1 of my first batch of Sunflower and BRF jars. I'll give pics then. That TC cake I mentioned is doing quite well :smile:.

Today I will have sterilized 19 half pint brf jars for more MS. I knocked up some plates with Colombian Rust Spore, Mexican Albino, AA+, GWM :kkk:, PE, and a yangoon clone. Day 2-3 +/- no sign of any growth as of yet..these were my first plates I made myself so I hope everything goes smoothly.

I used Glad cling wrap as it seems to come more recommended then micropore tape which is what I've been using..but it uses a lot of tape to wrap it all so I'm willing to give this method a shot..no contams so far. I am a little worried about the condensation on the plates..idk if that means I put too much water in my plates (They were hard when I dropped the spores in)...I guess I'll search bar it..

After doing some more research and looking over my sunflower jars..I think I'll be fine tuning my tek. I think when I do more jars I'll make it so it's 50/50 of cracked seeds and whole. I'll still do fooman's tek..The drying is what's getting me..

I suppose once they're ready to dry I'll lay out some paper towels and let them dry on there for a 12-24 hours..I also heard adding a spoon full of verm to each jar can help control moisture..I might give that a shot for a few of the jars. Any tips on drying would be most welcome.

Same ol otherwise. Just hoping for a higher success rate this time.

Edited by Blackd0ve420 (04/11/13 02:15 PM)

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #18092141 - 04/11/13 02:29 PM (11 years, 7 days ago)

This will likely make you some spawn, but it's going to be next to useless because sunflower seeds don't hold shit for water.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #18092183 - 04/11/13 02:37 PM (11 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
This will likely make you some spawn, but it's going to be next to useless because sunflower seeds don't hold shit for water.

I don't think there's really too much difference between grains on water retention. I think I'm personally having problems with it is because I'm not properly drying them before hand. The jar I listed that I have half semi cracked/whole seeds has 100% water retention. No pooling whatsoever or signs of wetness. I think because of the shape of the seed it holds the water inside of it...but when it settles the water will leak out and pool to the bottom. Not to mention the MS method probably didn't help either (Injecting more water in the jars). With that in mind special measures or an alternative tek will probably have to be implemented to work with it.

I'm confident once I make the right adjustments it should be fine.

I think I found the link I was talking about by the way http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3682337

P.S A couple of jars I have (With agar wedges), I have only one hole drilled with micropore covered...is this sufficient GE? I know micropore is not ideal but it's all I got right now so work with me lol.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Week One Update! [Re: Blackd0ve420]
    #18098604 - 04/12/13 06:08 PM (11 years, 6 days ago)

April 12th 2013 (1 Week since first round of inoculation)

It has been a pretty eventful week. Along with me doing this project I'll be going back to school..taking some bs course and then chemistry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

So far I've only seen growth in one BRF Treasure Coast jar..seems to be colonizing very nicely. Nothing yet from the others or the petris. I am a little worried that I may have made them too "nutritious"..making them harder to colonize..but we'll see. I made more dishes (which i hope won't contaminate) and added honey as an extra ingredient/adjusted water levels.

The main event SUNFLOWER SEEDS!!!!! So this is what I did...here's hoping it works...

1. I measured out how many seeds I would need and then used my blender to semi crush/open the seeds. Just like that jar I made in the first round that was successful.

2. Fooman's method (Put as many seeds as I could) for 1 hour

3. I rinsed the seeds

4. Took a bucket that I usual do my coir bucket with. Filled it with water and put all the seeds in there to soak for at least 4 hours.

5. I drained the bucket (more darkish water), and then thoroughly rinsed and rinsed the seeds until the water was more or less clear.

6. Now comes the part that has f'd me a lot...drying. This time I took a technique I found after using the search bar and laid out some newspaper on my table, then put a layer of paper towels. I spread all the seeds on the table as evenly as possible, and then put another layer of paper towels on top (Like a sandwich).

From here I'll wait 12 hours. Theoretically everything should be good. I figure it's better to be on the dryer side since I'm forced to do MS right now (Though I'll be sure to use less this round).

I'll try and update once a week. In the mean time...time to kick back and light em up!

PICS:

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

InvisibleBlackd0ve420
Peace Seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Week One Update! [Re: Blackd0ve420]
    #18108423 - 04/14/13 02:31 PM (11 years, 4 days ago)

Well guys I'm happy to report that the above method worked 100% for all 10 quart jars I used. No pooling/no excess moisture! I took a spoon and 3 times tested it and no seeds stuck. Woohoo!

I knocked up 5 jars with Oak Hill and another 5 with an unknown strain..possibly MKD but it is fruiting half regular/half albinos (True albinos! White spores) So we'll see if I get the same luck. I made a 2oz syringe from the OH and a 25 cc of the ?A strain.

I'll update friday (2 week update) on whether any more jars have started colonizing.

Also working on another side project with ACRB cold water extraction.

Initial:

12 hours later:

You can check out my thread about it here http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18104571 ; That'll be going down tonight.

--------------------
Just let it all go..
*Blackdove*

Click for Catnip!

Offlinemercaba
Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: MonkeyJesusFresco]
    #24999809 - 02/16/18 08:26 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

MonkeyJesusFresco said:
Girlfriend: "What are you doing now?"

"A traditional sunflower seed removal."

Girlfriend: "Why? What does that do?"

"Nothing. It's just tradition."

haha

OfflineHopeless_Hound
Stranger
Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: mercaba]
    #24999872 - 02/16/18 08:55 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I have a suggestion, let the seeds germinate before you pc them, I’d bet you’d get optimal results doing that, I’ve got awesome results doing that with regular wbs. Just soak them for 12 hours and leave in strainer for 2 days.

--------------------
MS Brazillian shoebox

AA+ MS shoebox

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sunflower Seed Attempt [Re: Hopeless_Hound]
    #25000032 - 02/16/18 10:00 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

:hi5: four year old thread ftw

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag