Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
When did this start happening?
    #1810249 - 08/13/03 06:20 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Can any of you younger folks confirm that this kind of thing takes place? Or maybe older folks with school-age kids?

I started first grade in the late Fifties, in Canada, and we never did this, at least in the schools I attended. Is it strictly an American thing, or is it something that all schools started doing sometime since I finished grade school?

From http://www.boortz.com/aug11-03.htm --

Do you remember those weeks before school started for your first grader? There you were, you and your proud new student walking the aisles of the local Costco with your list of school supplies in hand. You checked off the pencils, a ruler, a compass, paste, construction paper, a pencil holder, notebooks and erasers.

At home, your first grader takes the supplies into his room and spreads everything out on the bed. Arranges them this way ? then that way. Pencils next to the erasers, glue and construction paper lined up over here, compass and ruler lined up over there. These are his supplies. His! Do you hear? And tomorrow he is going to take them to school. He couldn't be more proud.

Finally, the first day of school arrives. The night before all of the school supplies are packed, repacked, unpacked and repacked again. Then, that morning, just one more unpacking and repacking to make sure everything's still there and undamaged. OK! It's off we go to school! Apprehension mixed with pride. Your young man or woman is taking another grand step toward adulthood! What could go wrong?

Plenty. Remember, it's a government operation.

The students are seated, the bell rings. As fast as you can say the Pledge of Allegiance without the "under God" part, the indoctrination begins. The government teacher steps in front of her virtual hostages and promptly delivers the first raw lesson in the power of government. The students are instructed to bring all of their precious school supplies ? their property ? to the front of the classroom and put them into a huge box. They are told that the supplies belong to all of the class now, and the teacher will assume the responsibility of distributing the supplies as they are needed.

"Whoaa! Hold on a minute here! These are my supplies. My daddy bought them for me. You can't have them! They're mine!"

Nope. Sorry! They were yours. Now all those supplies belong to ? guess who? The government!

There's a method to this madness. Your child is being taught that there are some severe limits to the concept of private property. It is perfectly OK, for instance, if the government just steps up and seizes your property if there are other people who might need some of your stuff. After all, it's just not right for you to have something that other people don't have or can't share in, is it?

This whole "dump your supplies into this box" is not an innocent exercise. Your child's teacher might not even be aware of it, but this lesson in government power is a time-honored method of introducing your child to the concept that there is something basically wrong with owning private property ? but everything will be OK if you just let your superiors even things out a bit by taking some stuff from you and giving it to someone else.

How did Marx present this concept? I think it was something like "From each according to his ability; to each according to his need."

Day number one, lesson number one: Your rights to your property exist only so long as government will allow, and it's just not fair to have more stuff than someone else.

And this is just the first week! More surprises in store! Wait until you get that call from your child's teacher with vague, dark hints of a better world for your child if only he was on Ritalin.

pinky

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: Phred]
    #1810270 - 08/13/03 06:24 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

It hasn't happened with my kids (yet).

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1810282 - 08/13/03 06:25 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

I have never heard of anything like that...Nor do I agree with it.

But the arguement could be made that it lessens the focus of who's "pencil case" is cooler and keeps the focus where it should be...on learning.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: Rono]
    #1810304 - 08/13/03 06:28 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

My last year of high school we asked all the girls to put all their bras and panties in a box, but we never even thought of redistributing them.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: Autonomous]
    #1810309 - 08/13/03 06:29 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Why on earth would you?... :wink:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1810422 - 08/13/03 06:51 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

I remember a teacher did that in one of my early grades. I just made sure I was first in line to get my stuff back.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: pattern]
    #1810458 - 08/13/03 06:57 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

im 22 now and it didn't happen to me. Im in canada. But i do remember the constant theft of supplies. I had to steal my scissors back several times that year...in fact it was the same thing at the trade college i went to...guess some things never change.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1810491 - 08/13/03 07:02 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

We always did that with the construction paper and kleenex we had to bring. I remember one teacher doing the same thing with our glue, and I was pissed! I had colored it the night before, and she took it from me. I told my mom and she bought me some more, so I would hide it and use it in class. This is very wrong in my opinion. I remember how special my supplies were to me on the first day of school every year. Had my teacher tried to take my Star Wars pencils away, I would have freaked the hell out.

I did have a black first grade teacher for about two weeks that stole my lunch money and gave it to the black kids so they could get ice cream with it. My mom almost beat her ass, but she was happy with getting her fired.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1810827 - 08/13/03 08:35 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

I've never heard of suck, but I might agree with it if it solved a problem in the classroom. Some local sociological quirk could be causing a disturbance. The parents should be notified beforehand.

What about school uniforms?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1811077 - 08/13/03 09:52 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Baby_Hitler asks:

what about school uniforms?

I think that any teacher who told their class to strip off their uniforms and put them in a box for redistribution would probably be fired for pedophilic tendencies or something.

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1811091 - 08/13/03 09:55 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:
Baby_Hitler asks:

what about school uniforms?

I think that any teacher who told their class to strip off their uniforms and put them in a box for redistribution would probably be fired for pedophilic tendencies or something.

pinky 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

#1811111 - 08/13/03 10:00 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

thats fucked up, that shit never happen to me, first grade for me was in russia (communism) and whatever i brought to school was mine not the schools. but i also went to school in canada and the same rule of me owning my own things applied. If that shit where ever to happen to my child i would take him out of public school and put him in private school

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

Re: When did this start happening? [Re: ]
    #1811129 - 08/13/03 10:06 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Hah! the states is worse than communist Russia!

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1811134 - 08/13/03 10:07 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

We are still here while the USSR is not. Hmm....

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1811135 - 08/13/03 10:07 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

wow. wow. wow. thanks for pointing this out to us - some of us may have small children and may be able to get into the PTA or something and attempt to express to the government that they should GO FUCK THEMSELVES with this kind of manipulation and conditioning going on SO EARLY IN LIFE, when a child's mind can't distinguish right from wrong, and counts on others to show them the correct "way of being."

I have decided not to have children due to things like this I've been hearing about for quite a while now.

Does anybody have a kid in a very low grade around here? Has anybody noticed that "social sciences" teachers are spending LESS AND LESS TIME TEACHING our children about THE BILL OF RIGHTS, THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL IN THE BATTLE FOR FREEDOM IN THIS COUNTRY? Has anybody noticed the disgusting SIMILARITIES BETWEEN BRANCHES OF MILITARY AND PUBLIC SCHOOLING?

Does anybody find this a bit obnoxious and unpatriotic?

Does anybody realize the next few generations are going to continue to be funneled even more swiftly and efficiently into this corporate machine?

Can anybody help me stop it?

and Shakta (By the way, are you REALLY Shakta, the psychedelic trance artist?), with regards to you saying "We are still here while the USSR is not." - are you sure that's a good thing (that we're still here and still growing and still influencing new people)?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (08/13/03 10:11 PM)

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: When did this start happening? [Re: ]
    #1811179 - 08/13/03 10:17 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

asd159263 said:
thats fucked up, that shit never happen to me, first grade for me was in russia (communism) and whatever i brought to school was mine not the schools. but i also went to school in canada and the same rule of me owning my own things applied. If that shit where ever to happen to my child i would take him out of public school and put him in private school

lol, this is concerned absurd in a communist country, thats hilarious. my kids supplies are gonna be my kids supplies...im not buying 6.00 notebooks for some other kid to use. if they want to eliminate the 'my stuff is cooler' attitude, have the parents send in $ for the school to purcahse identical supplies.

--------------------
:stash: + :bong: = :smile:

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1811180 - 08/13/03 10:17 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah I am the trance man.

Actually, I have never heard of him, unfortunately. Yes I am glad we are still here. Although, having the Soviet Union around sure did make things a lot easier on this country globally it seems. We had another big kid on the block to share the blame for, for every problem in the world. Charles Taylor said the other day that it is our fault he had to step down. Huh? Maybe being a warlord, and torturing your own people might have had a bit to do with it. He also said history will remember him fondly. Sorry bud, don't think so.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1811274 - 08/13/03 10:38 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

In mother Russia We don't put the clothes in the box, the box is the clothes.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1811290 - 08/13/03 10:42 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

LOL

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: When did this start happening? [Re: shakta]
    #1812095 - 08/14/03 03:15 AM (14 years, 9 days ago)

hey man "Silicon Trip" kicks ass

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion