Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

Loc: Barter Town, AUS
Contam Rant Round 2, day 2, one Rye bag has sour smell rant and I has wall o questions
    #18100497 - 04/13/13 12:04 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

*FEEL FREE TO SKIP MY WALL OF RANT DOWN TO MY WALL OF QUESTIONS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN HELPING ME AND DON"T WANT TO READ ME BITCH ABOUT HOW I DID NOTHING WRONG AND GOT CONTAMS AND ITS ALL SOMEONE ELSES FAULT:grin:* Got these rye berry bags from out grow and inocced em with my remaing 3 GT 12 cc syringes, about 2-4 cc's per bag (as per the tek)and day 2, all bags but one smell like nice grain, one has a sour grain smell, so I quarantined it as it is on the edge as to being tammed or just wet grain smell.  Hopefully it all stays in the bag as I was not thinking and as the noob I am proceeded to smell check all the bags after handling the first one :frown: and have probably spread it to all the other ones by now,:frown::frown: hopefully not. If so, no big deal, have 4 syringes coming from hawk, first round were from spore bank and all 30 of my first jars tammed.  The jars more than likely contaminated due to the poor construction of them, I ordered them from midwest grow kits and they had verm all over the place, on the lip of the jar and on the lid.  On top of the lid all in the box the shipped in.  When I opened them up not one had any dry verm at all, and when they first arrived I thought they all looked like they had standing water in them but could not tell. 

So wall of text over, I have a couple wuestions.  1, how difficult is it to make filter patch bags using the various methods on this site?  I have seen some posts saying that you can't make them for cheaper than they are sold from vendors.

2-I have seen multiple brands of rye berries listed on here and people saying back and for different ones are good and bad and have gotten slightly confused as to what brand to get.  I see some people saying go to a feed supply store and others saying that grain has fungicide in it, can someone tell me a brand I can get here local in TN or a link to something I can get online, preferably in a 25-45+lb size.
3-I have also seen conflicting posts about what to spawn rye berries to, the major contenders being manure and coir, and coir soaked in water vs coir soaked in coffee.  Are coir and manure the same pretty much or is manure better, I don't at all mid the smell or handling it, we own horses.
4-As far as casing goes, I am thinking about casing with a 50/50+ mix of peat and verm with oyster shells and horticultural hydrated lime-http://www.shroomery.org/54/50-50-Casing-Tek -this tek, and see the recommendation of using the 50/50 as the bottom layer as well.  Pros cons?
4-I recently ordered 4 strains from hawk as I said and am trying to decide if I want to do them all at once or stagger them/run them completely separate entirely.  Can I run multiple strains in the same fruiting chambers planning on 2 dub tubs with  8 "shoebox" sized tubs inside which is then place inside a 8x3 sq closet that has been sealed off and sanitized which is inside a smaller room about 15'lx8'w, which is not connected to the HVAC system and I sealed the room off entirely and am currently working on a filtered air intake system for fresh air (could use all the suggestions anyone has on that one).  The strains are-B+, PE, Z-Strain, and either ban hua than or PF Amazonian.  If i get the amazonian over the ban hua as my buy 3 get one free I am probably gonna do jars as I read an OLD post saying that PF strains favor BRF jars, and also because I am bummed my first jar run failed completely and miserably even tho I bought the jhars online. 
5Which leads me to (hopefully for now anyway) my 5th and final question, I have these 30 jars and am trying to decide whether to make RBS jars with em or BRF for my 4 incoming strains and would love any advice that anyone feels they have to offer. 

Crap one more question, I inoculated my rye berry bags and I cant seem to find a definative answer about what temp to colonize them at and also whether they need total darkness or if they are ok with ambient light at all or what.  Until about an hour ago they were sitting loose on the shelf of my sanitary closet and I put the bags into the tupperware bins (3 each, they are all covered with duck tape) and set them on the closet and the temp is about 75-83 or so.  What is the best method for this?  Int the bi closed up, out in the open on the shelf, or in the tubs but with holes drilled. 

Thanks for any help anyone can give, I feel like my eyes are bleeding after 3 weeks of non stop research and as I continue hopefully someone will give me some advice.  Feel free to berate me about the length, I know, it got outta control, sorry.  Good vibes errbody, good vibes.

--------------------
Everything I have said, may say, will say, am thinking about saying and/or thinking/typing/dreaming/writing is in all likelyhood made up and has no factual basis in reality whatsoever, and is likely all plagiarized and copy pasted straight from someone else, so get mad at them .  Just a warning

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXxXKushSmokeXxX
The Apprentice
Male

Loc: The Land of Ooo
Re: Contam Rant Round 2, day 2, one Rye bag has sour smell rant and I has wall o questions [Re: MastaBlastar]
    #18100560 - 04/13/13 12:16 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Woa..... there's no way I can read all of that being as high as I am right now lol:lmafo:. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly that's more helpful than I.:bongload:

--------------------

My PF Tek(B+,Golden Teachers)

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contam Rant Round 2, day 2, one Rye bag has sour smell rant and I has wall o questions [Re: MastaBlastar] * 1
    #18100574 - 04/13/13 12:20 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Brand of rye is not particularly important. I buy organic because It will not have fungicides.

If you have access to free horse manure, that's the way to go. Do your research on how to properly prep it.

I live in the city and in an apartment. There is no way in hell I'm driving out to the country to look for manure and trek it back home to pasteurize. I use coir and vermiculite. Clean and easy. Works great.

Stay away from coffee until you have some more experience. It contaminates very easy.

You don't need a casing layer.

You can fruit multiple varieties in the same FC.

Indirect light is fine for colonizing grains. Keeping in the dark is old info. The dark does no harm. Supposedly, mushrooms have a circadian rythem that should be established during mycelial growth. You see conflicting info on this because most people just repeat what they read without actual testing. I have seen tests where the light side of jars colonized faster than the dark. I ran the same tests several times and saw no difference. I always use indirect light 12 on and 12 off.

Any temperature between 70 and 81 is fine. The higher the temperature, the faster the growth. The flip side of that is other bacteria and molds like those temperatures as well. Mine usually hover around 75-80

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

Re: Contam Rant Round 2, day 2, one Rye bag has sour smell rant and I has wall o questions [Re: XxXKushSmokeXxX]
    #18100639 - 04/13/13 12:35 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Lol yeah I may keep taking spontaneous cat naps for no apparent reason :noddingbaby: and its helping nothing...but these are the question I am currently pondering and if anyone helps me with ANY of it I will be happy.  Hell, just having it written down somewhere I won't lose is help enough.

--------------------
Everything I have said, may say, will say, am thinking about saying and/or thinking/typing/dreaming/writing is in all likelyhood made up and has no factual basis in reality whatsoever, and is likely all plagiarized and copy pasted straight from someone else, so get mad at them .  Just a warning

OfflineMastaBlastar
Ruler Of Barter Town

Re: Contam Rant Round 2, day 2, one Rye bag has sour smell rant and I has wall o questions [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #18100711 - 04/13/13 12:49 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpitballJedi said:
Brand of rye is not particularly important. I buy organic because It will not have fungicides.

If you have access to free horse manure, that's the way to go. Do your research on how to properly prep it.

I live in the city and in an apartment. There is no way in hell I'm driving out to the country to look for manure and trek it back home to pasteurize. I use coir and vermiculite. Clean and easy. Works great.

Stay away from coffee until you have some more experience. It contaminates very easy.

You don't need a casing layer.

You can fruit multiple varieties in the same FC.

Indirect light is fine for colonizing grains. Keeping in the dark is old info. The dark does no harm. Supposedly, mushrooms have a circadian rythem that should be established during mycelial growth. You see conflicting info on this because most people just repeat what they read without actual testing. I have seen tests where the light side of jars colonized faster than the dark. I ran the same tests several times and saw no difference. I always use indirect light 12 on and 12 off.

Any temperature between 70 and 81 is fine. The higher the temperature, the faster the growth. The flip side of that is other bacteria and molds like those temperatures as well. Mine usually hover around 75-80

Awesome thanks.  I already have the casing material so I guess I am going to go ahead and do it.  I SHOULD get better yields with a casing layer right or is that all out dated info as well?  I am probably going to use coir, what you said about it just being easier was pretty much my thought.  I may start with poo next, but they have been eating too much winter grain to want to get anywhere near their poo now, may as well use my own...  Iam keeping the room from 75-80 as i tried the heating pad with my "awesome" grow kit for the wonderful price of 150+ along with 2 WHOLE gallon bags of perlite, a 2$ aquarium pump, a quart jar with hydroton and polyfil and 2 small hoses with poly fil, an insanely cheap tub, a garbage temp/hygrometer with the batteries removed, a pos tiny led tap light with no batterie (NOTHING came with batteries, EVEN THO THE PACKAGE SAID IT CAME WITH BATTERIES, cheap bastards stealing all the batteries) and 30 lousy pf style jars (I say lousy because they were poorly made, not that ther is anything wrong with PF tek that I know of) with a VERY small amount of "dry" vermiculite.  Actually there was more verm on the lip of the jar and under the cap than there actually was on top of the cake.  You know listing it all like that I realize just how badly I got ripped off...Back on topic I am just going to leave the bags out in the chamber for now I guess, I worry more about bac contaminating that closed space than anything as I think about it.  Thanks again for the advice.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale