Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
My casings don't work.
    #1809978 - 08/13/03 05:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry for the long post
----------------------------------
Hey there. Well i am about to harvest my first flush off cakes, I think I have about 11grams dried when estimating by volume, but I have this casing that won't fruit. I have done alot of casings, I have done verm/coir, and jiffy mix. Many of them get contaminated with cobweb but this one survived. I used equadorian spawn grown out on popcorn... I covered with a 1/4" layer of jiffy mix and it did fine... I covered it loosely with aluminum foil and let it colonize. It colonized the surface about 40% and i let it fruit.... the 40% on the surface immediately turned into overlay but the other 60% didn't pin at all. I scraped the overlay off and can see a little bit of white under the jiffy mix. I have read all the FAQ's and tried alot of stuff, but my casings never pin. I don't know why, what do you guys do when colonizing and fruiting a casing? Give me a summary of your procedure with strain info etc.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: lemunhed]
    #1810090 - 08/13/03 05:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Offlineguitarnut
journeyman
Re: My casings don't work. [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1810148 - 08/13/03 05:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

did you drop temp to around 70?

Invisibled fuNk22
Mycology Pervert
Re: My casings don't work. [Re: guitarnut]
    #1810231 - 08/13/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

it's simple man.

use straight vermiculite for the casing. no need for the other shit because the casing layer isnt there to supply nutrients.

if you steralize the verm somewhat your guarnteed to be free of contams.

make your casing, 1'' of spawn and 1/4 of verm casing layer. cover TIGHTLY with tin foil. place back into incubator at 80-85degrees F, whatever your incubators set at.

let sit for 7 days. on the 4th day (dont even look at them until then) simply patch case them with soem more steralized verm. and let sit until day 6 or 7.

place directly into fruiting chamber with a relative humidity at 85% and the temps @ 70 degrees and fan the fruiting chamber twice a day, then spray a little water on the walls after u fan.

a few factors are to be remembered when casing.

when u patch case on day 4 and let sit until day 7, the casing is just beginning to poke through.

then u have to drop the temps from 85F to 70F and then introduce fresh air and loss of co2, which is accomplished when u put into a fanned fruiting chamber.

then you will ask yourself, if there's sapost to be a build up of co2, isn't all the built-up co2 going to float away when u uncover the casing to patch case???? yes it does, but when u close it back up and leave it for 3 days it builds back up.

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: d fuNk22]
    #1810241 - 08/13/03 06:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblecalicyco

#1810303 - 08/13/03 06:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If you are contaming all the time, something is wrong here. Casings are easy. Very easy in fact. You just need to pastuerize your casing, not even sterile. Soak some verm/coir or peat moss or whatever in 160 degree water for an hour or two. Drain, squeeze dry, and layer on about 1". Thats about it. When you start to see mycelium poking through, introduce light and fresh air. Wait for fruits. Patching the casing and all that is great, but not necessary and too complicated for the newbie. Never even seen a failed casing myself.

I think you are dealing with heavy contam loads. Make sure to soak in 160 degree water for a couple hours, that could be your major problem. Also, maybe try a better strain? What are you using? Try to get some classic PF if you can. PF fruits massive, plentifully, easily and under all kinds of conditions.

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: calicyco]
    #1810352 - 08/13/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: My casings don't work. [Re: lemunhed]
    #1810472 - 08/13/03 07:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Check the sterility of your techniques. 50/50 and 60/40 teks work great. I personally don't use straight verm casings, as it is hard to tell if the casing layer is wet/dry enough. Are you incubating the casings long enough? hmmm..., I can't think, lets see,...uh, are you initiaing pinning at the correct time? Some strains are fast (PR, B+ ime) so once you apply the casing you can put it straight into the fruiting chamber, given it is at the right temps. Also check moisture content of casing layer, better to have it on the slightly dry side then over spritzing/watering. If your fruiting is in the correct temp and rH, you shouldn't have to water until after the first flush. Those are my best guesses

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip

Deleted [Re: soochi]
    #1810551 - 08/13/03 07:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Invisiblecalicyco

#1810652 - 08/13/03 07:39 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Microwaving is not the best alternative, however it can work. Quick tricks should be avoided for this attempt though, since obviously something is very wrong. Go with the tried and true methods first, get a casing to fruit, then attempt to ease up on the labor involved. He might have such a high contam load in the house or whatever, that microwaving just will not suffice.

Experimentation is the enemy of first timers! Over and Over I see people saying things dont work, then it turns out its because they tried to innovate so early in the game, without the proper experience to make correct judgements. Always always start with the methods well documented here and do not deviate. Only deviate once you know where and how you can deviate.

Offlinelemunhed
The hustler'shustler

Loc: Ur moms house
Re: My casings don't work. [Re: calicyco]
    #1812724 - 08/14/03 09:42 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know, i'm not really a newbie to casing I have cased three different types of spawn, used two different strains and made probably like... 3 casings. I guess I just have to keep trying. Unfortunately I have to stop growing in two weeks because I am leaving, but i'll try some of this out later.

--------------------
You're pompeius, aren't you? I'll make a pompeian of you unless you hold your toungue!

-Tiberius Claudius Nero

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation