Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThE_JafF
Stranger
Will azure pin easilly indoor?
    #1806437 - 08/12/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I know there is little success with fruiting azure indoor, but how easily does it pin? I seem to remember hearing lots of stories of people who got it to pin, but they then aborted. If so, what seems to initiate the pinning? Is it simply the temp and light thing like normal? How long, etc.

I ask because I was wondering this... If you were to cause pinning indoors, and then immediately brought it outdoors durring the proper time of year, correct conditions, etc... would they still stall, or continue to grow to maturity? Pehaps this would be a good way to isolate the exact parameters that enable fruiting...Try placing the spawn in different environments (riverbank, under rhoda., pines, mulch piles, etc). Just a thought.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletheshiftingwalls
Divine state

Loc: Residing in thee Universa...
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: ThE_JafF]
    #1807657 - 08/12/03 09:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

UVB lights really help initiate pinning.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: theshiftingwalls]
    #1808125 - 08/13/03 12:56 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey JafF, have you run across the recent theory about fruiting being related to actinomycetes? I admit I haven't kept up with the experiments in the last week or so, but I think somebody did have success with another finicky woodlover by encouraging actinomycetes on the wood substrate.

Also, Anno recently posted a reference to Stamet's first book (which I've never been able to fine), but it mentions fruiting Ps. cyans inside on a mix of DUNG and wood chips, perhaps showing a connection to actis likely to be in the dung?

Anyway, I think the idea is along the right lines, a symbiosis with another microorganism.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineThE_JafF
Stranger
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: mycofile]
    #1809123 - 08/13/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I have been watching that thread, and that is partially what made me wonder... Its not that I doubt it, I just like to be sure of all the interesting little parameters involved. This little idea of sticking a pinning substrate outdoors, won't be able to do much other than give a strong indication that actinomycestes aren't involved (if they aren't), but it can't really be used to prove they are. I just thought it would be interesting to see. If you grow them outdoors, they don't typically pin and not grow do they? They pin, they pin when they are ready to grow, and they do (if conditions are right).. Indoors they pin, they don't grow. It seems worth a shot, just to see if it is some other environmental factor. When they start to pin, throw them outside, and see what happens. I bet they won't grow myself, but who knows.. So any idea on how hard it is to get them to pin anyway?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: ThE_JafF]
    #1809888 - 08/13/03 02:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, some. I fooled around with them some, and never got pins indoors at all. Actually, I got one, out of about 20 dry pounds of sawdust and 20 pounds of chips.

My impression is that even those who get indoor pins, aren't getting very many of them compared to what would be seen on the same amount of substrate fruited naturally outdoors.

Also, the best successes I've seen people have with the indoor/outdoor method seem to be those who simply colonize inside, then pin and fruit outdoors.

That's just related info, not really direct answers to what you're asking though. What you want to know is if all/most of indoor developed pins will mature once set outside, and I don't know that specifically. For results, my thoughts would be to skip indoor pinning altogether, but for understanding it would be nice to know how well they would develop.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibletheshiftingwalls
Divine state

Loc: Residing in thee Universa...
    #1810067 - 08/13/03 03:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Would a repti light really help develop more pins?
Bigger pin set = Bigger chances of getting more mature fruits.

Plus having some dead actinomycetes in the manure/soil casing layer with grass on top would probably help alot. But temps have to go really low for it to pin.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: theshiftingwalls]
    #1816265 - 08/15/03 07:26 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

they pin on agar - but never develope beyond that.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1816781 - 08/15/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hehe, unless you put the agar plates outside post pinning?

Seriously though BM, what are your conditions for pinning on agar? My plates never pinned, even after months. Perhaps it's the formula, I was using just standard MEA.

--------------------

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1818633 - 08/15/03 11:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hey, if someone wants to donate me an azure print, i will do a growlog, with indoor pinning and bringing out into cold weather, and colonizing inside and bringing outside to pin/fruit. I live in wisconsin btw, and azures have been successfully fruited here and mycellium lives 3 years! WOW! i need some outdoor strain for here so any help is much appreciated!

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Will azure pin easilly indoor? [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1819027 - 08/16/03 01:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

They pinned when i took them out of cold storage after three weeks, but only a few tiny ones as in knots. I got cyanescens to pin all over the place - infact it was annoying because it would often stop colonising and start pinning even in pretty warm weather!
Subaeruginosa always pins on agar too, but it tends to behave when colonising.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale