Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineFileSoup
Interesting California referendum on race
    #1807558 - 08/12/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

California will be having a referendum to decide if race can be used by employers, schools, doctors etc. A so called "colorblind" society would exist if passed. I was trying to find a link for this but couldn't... I saw it on the news though. What do you think of this or any other aspect of race relations in the USA? I think it is a step in the right direction of ending many forms of discrimination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: FileSoup]
    #1808349 - 08/13/03 03:39 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's the way it should be.

Race, pro OR con, has no place as a consideration for anything.

Among other things it creates bitterness in those not "special" enough to be favored, and it treats those who are favored as incompetent buffoons who couldn't succeed without special treatment.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineFileSoup
    #1809235 - 08/13/03 12:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

btw, it also means no more affirmative action if passed.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1809277 - 08/13/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That will be the day.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1809327 - 08/13/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FileSoup said:
btw, it also means no more affirmative action if passed.

"Affirmative" Action was always a bad idea.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1809520 - 08/13/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

affirmative action = government enforced racism

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflineFileSoup
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Autonomous]
    #1811408 - 08/13/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yep

OfflineFileSoup
    #1811413 - 08/13/03 09:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

surprising how many anti-affirmative action replies I got.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
    #1813474 - 08/14/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you are all closet racists.

you acknowledge white privilege, yet oppose the only proposed
correction to white privilege, and it's not because you have a better alternative, it's because you want to retain racial supremacy.

I don't believe even you hillybilly neo con's are slow enough to think
that things will just "work out" by themselves... so there has to be malicious intent, like LDS voiced --

"all the minorities I've known who support AA are lazy niggers 'n spics" (paraphrased..)

racists!

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Malachi]
    #1813484 - 08/14/03 12:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Coming from one of the most blatent racists on this board.... your opinion means amazingly little.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1813504 - 08/14/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

as malachi voiced:

"whites are the devil and should be killed off for the betterment of everyone else on earth! they are a greedy, warmongering bunch who are no good for anything. there's no good white but a dead white, and every last one of those dirty, filthy whities should be taken out and shot~!" (paraphrased).

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: ]
    #1813531 - 08/14/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yeah right, all I've ever espoused was that white people don't know shit about living. this is grounded in the fact that our cities are built more with our cars in mind than us.

you people are the racists, as you are keen on holding up white privilege.

what else to expect from a buch of cheap-labor conservatives?

why don't you people go burn some witches?

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1813537 - 08/14/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

White witches or black?

You racist puke.

--------------------

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1813543 - 08/14/03 12:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I hate everyone equally. :smirk:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Autonomous]
    #1813582 - 08/14/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:

Being on the recieving end of "Reverse Discrimination", I wholeheartedly agree! Here's a radical idea; hire the best person for the job, regardless of race!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Le_Canard]
    #1813586 - 08/14/03 12:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Quote:

Autonomous said:

Being on the recieving end of "Reverse Discrimination", I wholeheartedly agree! Here's a radical idea; hire the best person for the job, regardless of race!

What the fuck.... another common sense joker!

--------------------

OfflineFileSoup
    #1813590 - 08/14/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Anybody who doesn't support affirmative action is a racist?

More like anybody who does support affirmative action is racist because it supports racism against whites, asains, and indians (from India)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1813632 - 08/14/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You sir are a complete idiot.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: shakta]
    #1813641 - 08/14/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Shaty needs to re-read the rules of debate! :wink: :lol:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1813652 - 08/14/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

He called us racists first. I was just returning the favor, and stating the obvious.

Anonymous

#1813718 - 08/14/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i'm with you on that one.

i think malachi's pretty misguided on the race issue. (that, or he's got it right, whitie is the devil, and we're all wrong).

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1813759 - 08/14/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

just reply to this
Quote:

you acknowledge white privilege, yet oppose the only proposed correction to white privilege, and it's not because you have a better alternative, it's because you want to retain racial supremacy.

part of my post.

if whites have an advantage, something need be done. if not aa, then what? I hear no alternatives being offered, only small minded reactionaries overreacting to the actually quite minor attempt at conciliation that is aa. this kind of unreasonable fear is symptomatic of the culture of fear that is the signature of western civ.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

OfflineFileSoup
    #1813768 - 08/14/03 01:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How about hiring the most qualified person for the job. That's an alternative.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1813772 - 08/14/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

if not aa, then what

Here's a radical idea; hire the best person for the job, regardless of race! (credit ToiletDuk)

--------------------

Anonymous

#1813779 - 08/14/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if whites have an advantage, something need be done.

whites do not have any legal advantage (anymore), and neither should blacks.

what's wrong with a government which makes no distinctions based on race?

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1813790 - 08/14/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I just hate that you are a racist if you don't agree with me tripe. It is totally irritating, and a dishonest argument. Judging from the info in his ratings he is a big time racist himself. I am not racist at all, hell all of my neighbors are black. My neighborhood is a mixed bag, but all my neighbors on all sides are black and we get along great.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1813911 - 08/14/03 02:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

if not aa, then what

Here's a radical idea; hire the best person for the job, regardless of race! (credit ToiletDuk)

here's an idea, learn to read!

Quote:

you acknowledge white privilege, yet oppose the only proposed correction to white privilege, and it's not because you have a better alternative, it's because you want to retain racial supremacy

I'm asking how you propose to end white privilege, (remember, equality is so important to you?) not if you like aa. I know you don't like it. so how do you want to end the much greater inequity that minorities face (in comparison to the great amount of whining neo-con's do about the 3 slots in the med school or whatever...pfft..) today? just stick our heads in the sand?

*nod your head if you understand the question this time*

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1813937 - 08/14/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

There is no white privilege.

There is minority privilege.

And any racist joker who doesn't realize that "if not aa, then what" IS a question, has big problems.

You asked, I answered.

So what color robes do you wear racist?

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1813960 - 08/14/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I agree completely. This white privilege crap is just that, crap. This isn't the sixties anymore. People like Jesse Jackson perpetuate this shit to keep their people under their control.

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1813971 - 08/14/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if not aa then what, in context, meant if not aa (as a means to end white privilege) then what (as a means to end white privilege) ?

I know they don't teach you how to read out in the ozarks, hillybilly boy... but still.

and I don't wear robes...some peoples of the world understand style, biatch.

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1814005 - 08/14/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps instead of robe shopping, you should learn to write a coherant sentence.

--------------------

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

#1814062 - 08/14/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

maybe you should learn to read, hick.

or go talk with your buddies

--------------------
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1814081 - 08/14/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You're just the cutest lil' racist fella ever!

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1814447 - 08/14/03 05:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hey shakta, I don't think your racist, but since you were the only one with the balls to attempt a response I'm replying to you.
Quote:

shakta said:
I am not racist at all, hell all of my neighbors are black. My neighborhood is a mixed bag, but all my neighbors on all sides are black and we get along great.

Honestly, I think that's how 95% of all whites feel about blacks - "we get along great". The real question is how many of your black neighbors do you call when you want to go out for a drink, or when you need some advice about something, etc. Is the number proportional to the black population in your area? If it is, then you're very unusual.

Similarly, nearly all white people claim they work with good, hard working, respectable black people. But the real question is how many of these white people are willing to put a black person in charge of the division, and promote them through the ranks? The evidence shows that's it not proportional to the number of good, hard working, respectable blacks.

On this issue, I'll agree that AA will not necessarily resolve the problem, because of the resentment issues it creates as discussed above. But why isn't anyone willing to answer Malachi's question about how to resolve the disproportionality problem? Liking and respecting your black co-workers doesn't seem to be sufficient.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Cornholio]
    #1814534 - 08/14/03 05:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Cornholio writes:

But why isn't anyone willing to answer Malachi's question about how to resolve the disproportionality problem? Liking and respecting your black co-workers doesn't seem to be sufficient.

If you read between the lines, the question has been answered, it's just that you don't like the answer.

Any "disproportionality problem" can ultimately only be resolved by individuals. All government can do is to make sure the laws governing interactions between individuals are equally applied to all individuals. The rest must come from within.

Xenophobia is to some degree or other an attribute of many members of all groups, and always has been -- no amount of government legislation will ever change that. Any changes must come from the conscious effort of individuals deliberately altering their own attitudes. The fact that many don't care to make that effort is neither the fault of the government nor is it correctable by government -- through any means, let alone through such an abuse of political power as legalized racism.

I have seen countless posts in this forum of how we must all "evolve" in order to solve society's perceived problems. The thing is, said "evolution" can take place on an individual by individual basis at any time -- within the course of a single lifetime (for that individual) rather than over thousands of generations.

The people you are disagreeing with are correct -- affirmative action is government-imposed racism. That is not open to debate; it is a simple statement of fact. No matter how you slice, dice, wiggle, squirm, conflate, redefine, evade or obfuscate, it is racism -- and a worse racism than the mindless racism of some solitary bigot who gets a kick out of using the word "nigger"; it is instutionalized racism; the literal "law of the land".

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Phred]
    #1814692 - 08/14/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If you read between the lines, the question has been answered, it's just that you don't like the answer.

Thanks. I thought it was fairly clear.

Quote:

obfuscate

I love that word.

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Re: Interesting California referendum on race [Re: Phred]
    #1814797 - 08/14/03 06:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pinksharkmark said:

No, the question wasn't answered. Until you just did a very good job of explaining it. And you're wrong about me disliking the answer.

Quote:

The people you are disagreeing with are correct -- affirmative action is government-imposed racism.

I said "On this issue, I'll agree that AA will not necessarily resolve the problem, because of the resentment issues it creates as discussed above." Either you're wrong again, or you're saying that Malachi was correct.

Quote:

That is not open to debate; it is a simple statement of fact. No matter how you slice, dice, wiggle, squirm, conflate, redefine, evade or obfuscate, it is racism -- and a worse racism than the mindless racism of some solitary bigot who gets a kick out of using the word "nigger"; it is instutionalized racism; the literal "law of the land".

While I agree with your logic, it IS being debated, so you're wrong again.

Is it racist to try and stop racism? Malachi was simply asking for a solution to end the racism that still exists. He didn't say AA was the only solution, he asked for another one, and the only response was "pick the best qualified person". Of course that's the best answer, but if that's not happening, then what? If I read your answer correctly PSM, the answer is "Racism can't be resolved by the Government; if it still exists, tough shit, that's life."

PS - I said in another thread I'm neutral on the subject of AA, and I am. I couldn't care less one way or another if AA exists or not. I'm playing devil's advocate for Malachi, since no one answered his question of how to fix something that's broke (exept for you PSM, who said people have to decide for themselves if they want to fix it or not).

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1814847 - 08/14/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Cornholio writes:

Either you're wrong again, or you're saying that Malachi was correct.

Malachi was incorrect. He said the only "proposed" solution was government-imposed racism. In this thread alone, we have seen proposals to hire the most qualified person for the job, and proposals for individuals to change their attitudes. Here's another proposed solution -- the parents of the children of some minority groups could spend some time persuading their kids that doing well in school is not anything to be ashamed of.

Another area where Malachi was incorrect was in lumping all minorities together. Are Asians not still a minority?

While I agree with your logic, it IS being debated, so you're wrong again.

The fact that a subject is being debated is not equivalent to saying a subject is open to debate. Anyone who claims to believe affirmative action is not racism is just blowing wind, they are not "debating". The sun is a star. That is not open to debate, regardless of how many people choose to claim it is a canteloupe.

He didn't say AA was the only solution, he asked for another one, and the only response was "pick the best qualified person". Of course that's the best answer, but if that's not happening, then what?

Then if it bothers you enough, dedicate some of your time to persuading others that racism is wrong.

If I read your answer correctly PSM, the answer is "Racism can't be resolved by the Government; if it still exists, tough shit, that's life."

You read my answer correctly. Lots of things in life suck. Deal with it, move on.

pinky

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1816294 - 08/15/03 07:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Actually, I do hang out with them from time to time. The neighbor on the left and us do a BBQ every once in a while. We also BS when ever we see each other. The one on the right is an old guy. I help him with his truck every once in a while, and have helped him chopped down some trees and stuff. I am not best friends with them or anything, but we get along well.

I think this is a class and culture issue not a race issue. If a black person comes from a middle class family they have a better chance at succeeding and getting an education than someone from a single parent family living in the ghetto. This crosses all races.

A lot of the problems for black kids comes from the fact the they disproportionately come from single parent households. They are left on their own with no positive role models. Their heros become the neighborhood thugs, pushers, and pimps. Add to the fact that they are endoctrinated by people like Jackson to believe that whitie just wants to keep them down. They then feel that there is no point in even looking for a job or trying to better themselves. They feel they are owed something by the rest of the world.

AA in the workplace is just wrong. AA in education is wrong as well for one reason. It is based on race, when it should be based on the persons economical background. For example say you have two black kids applying for the same spot. One came from an upper middle class household, while the other grew up in complete poverty. They are both equally qualified for the position, but you only have one position left. It is easy to see that the poor kid has most likely overcome a lot more difficulties to be in the position he is. He has had a tougher life most likely, and has done more to succeed. The middle class kid probably has more opportunities at other schools, so the spot should be given to the poor kid. I think most would agree with this. Right now in most institutions though, if you change the poor black kid into a white kid, he will probably lose the position to the advantaged black kid simply because he is white. That is wrong.

The reaction you had to my statement is a typical one Cornholio. The logic ignores the fact that racism in any form is wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

#1816816 - 08/15/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I completely and strongly agree with everything you just said.    :grin: 

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1816925 - 08/15/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The world is getting ready to implode now. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom