Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Some of the Mushrooms I found last weekend in Live Oak FLA
    #1806959 - 08/12/03 08:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Live Oak, Florida. August 2003.

Ok first we have the very deadly-poison Amanita bisporigera, "The Death Angel".

Next up we have yet another potentially toxic-deadly Amanita, Amanita flavoconia.

And next we have a common edible in Florida's mixed oak/pine forests, Cantharellus cinnabarinus. Though it is edible, there have been reports from some Floridians that large servings of this mushroom cause digestive irritation.

Now onto yet another edible mushrooms species, Lactarius corrugis. Another species common in the mixed forests of Florida during the rainy season months. The whole place was covered with these ones.

Onto another - Leucoagaricus sanguilfluus. This one was at the edge of a field growing underneath a live oak, and also next-door to a portable toilet. I question it's edibility and so do my books.

And now a petite Marasmius mushroom, Marasmius coniatus. It is inedible but i figured since i was staring at them i might as well take a picture..make it last longer.

I also saw a few small patches of "Sulfur Tufts", Naematoloma fascicularia, a poisonous mushroom. In this picture we see them growing from a decaying stump, and i pulled one of them to show the gills of this mushroom.

I believe this next one to be Strobilomyces confusus. This mushroom is the Bolete family of fungus and it's nickname is "The Old Man of the Woods". It is relatively common to find here in Florida. There are three known species of this particular mushroom that grow here and they can only be seperated down to species with the use of a microscope. But S. confusus is said to be the most commonly encountered, and this is an edible.

Finally, i headed out of the woods and over to where the horses roam. I found these two Panaeolus sphinctrinus mushrooms calling my name and they possed for the camera. Panaeolus sphintrinus is an extremely common mushroom to be found where horses or cows roam, and it is non-active (containing no psychoactive chemicals).

And the last mushroom species i have to share with you all is a type of Reshi mushroom Ganoderma lucidum, all too common here in Florida. Its stalked form of this species is praised by the ancient Chinese, "The Mushroom of Immortality". A medicinal mushroom.

That's all folks, i had a great time in Live Oak and i plan on making a trip back in the near future.

Thanks.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

Re: Some of the Mushrooms I found last weekend in Live Oak FLA [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1806983 - 08/12/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm glad everyone likes taking pictures as much as I like looking at 'em  :grin:

Nice mushrooms!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Some of the Mushrooms I found last weekend in Live Oak FLA [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #1807001 - 08/12/03 08:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Wowie zowie!

I'm bouts to cream my pants with all the great picture threads in this forum!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Those are some great finds and nice pictures!!

Those little Marasmius mushrooms are uber cool... I have seen ones like that in my mom's woods before.  The stems are kinda like a little piece of wire or sumthin.  Or maybe a whisker.  Yeah, a whisker's more like it.

Thanks for postin' your pics, GGreatOne!!!  Keep it up! :smile: 

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1807316 - 08/12/03 10:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I never knew all that was there.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: Some of the Mushrooms I found last weekend in Live Oak FLA [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1808890 - 08/13/03 12:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Now onto yet another edible mushrooms species, Lactarius corrugis. Another species common in the mixed forests of Florida during the rainy season months. The whole place was covered with these ones.

I found tons of these also, but I didn't have my camera or my field guide at the time. I was at the river swimming and took a short walk through the woods. Oh well, I'll try to be more prepaired next time I'm in Live Oak. 

[edited by concretefeet: Ekstaza, i fixed the quote tag for you :smile:.]

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Edited by concretefeet (08/15/03 02:19 AM)

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Some of the Mushrooms I found last weekend in Live Oak F [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1811631 - 08/14/03 12:30 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Great pictures man! I hope you had a blast, you deserve it! :]

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Some of the Mushrooms I found last weekend in Live Oak F [Re: tak]
    #1812079 - 08/14/03 03:05 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Isn't that up by Lake City? Was there a concert or Festival up there? I think I remember hearing about that a lot when I lived in Tampa.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification