Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDaves_not_here
Male

Re: Sprinkle a bit of lime right on the surface of your casing layer. Said Roger Rabbit. [Re: PussyFart]
    #18036819 - 03/31/13 10:42 AM (11 years, 18 days ago)

We'll taken - ty.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDaves_not_here
Male

Re: Sprinkle a bit of lime right on the surface of your casing layer. Said Roger Rabbit. [Re: Daves_not_here]
    #18062846 - 04/05/13 02:50 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

It works. My guided experiment ( I say guided because I used that snippet from a Roger rabbit post) seemed to work. I had a bunch of trays I had put into fruiting conditions and I was losing about one a day due to trichoderma. No more signs of tric. The only tray that it didn't help was one that had a fair amount of trichoderma already.

Because the tray already had a fair amount of trichoderma I felt I had the liberty to experiment. It was probably trash anyway.  I scraped off the top layer of contamination. Then I sprayed some household bleach on the surface after I had diluted it down about 10 to 1 with water. I had already had some pinning in another area where the trichoderma was. I just sprayed a little bit of bleach right over the top. I was more sparing in this area. Those mushrooms continued to grow even after the bleach treatment. They didn't look great. Or grow a lot. But surprisingly they did actually increase in size a little. I did all this to this tray in a different area. It was quarantined from the rest. Within about five days the trichoderma did come back in this tray with a vengeance.

But the rest of the trays that I have are fine. No more signs of contamination. Several of them have pretty strong first flushes. The mushrooms are small. That may be a function of the lime sprinkled on the surface. Or maybe due to something else. I seem to have plenty of fresh air humidity and light. I did not mist much in the early stages and maybe that's why the mushrooms are small. I was hoping that they would get most of their moisture from a very humid environment. I didn't want the misting to push the lime down into the surface much.

Who knows.

But overall I'll have to say that sprinkling a little bit of lime on these trays probably saved them. Thank you to all of you that discussed this with me and to Roger rabbit for his post from nine years ago.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Sprinkle a bit of lime right on the surface of your casing layer. Said Roger Rabbit. [Re: Daves_not_here]
    #18062867 - 04/05/13 02:56 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

hang on a second i just remembered something, recenlty i read that mold spores have a hard time germinating on coir. im  sure RR mentioned this in a thread a month ago saying that you can sterilise coir for better success rather than pasturising.

but i guess if mold is already in your spawn it can grow in the coir anywya. but if it gets introdcued via spores rather than actual mycelium its differnet

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineDaves_not_here
Male

Re: Sprinkle a bit of lime right on the surface of your casing layer. Said Roger Rabbit. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #18062908 - 04/05/13 03:08 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

I think the mycelium was clean. I don't know. It looked great. Truly sterile procedures are easier for me. I just lock myself in a box with plenty of Tyvek, Lysol and alcohol and bleach, HEPA filter, surgical mask, and don't come out until it's done. It's once I get past the sterile techniques that I think the contaminants have a chance to gang up on me.

My guess is that most of my problems originated because directly outside of my grow room is a nasty old ancient space that I'm sure is ground zero for every nasty spore in the world. I don't have an ante-room for my grow room. And the nasty buggers were probably sneaking in every chance they got. I probably could have left a HEPA filter running in there all the time to cut down on a lot of contamination issues. But the idea of a HEPA filter running all the time in a high humidity grow room seemed like the kind of idea that would deliver diminishing returns.

Hopefully if I get any sort of returns out of this grow it will be my last one for quite some time. But if I do decide to grow again , the anteroom maybe a good solution. Even better a series of ante-rooms. It's nasty outside the grow room. You wouldn't believe it.

Edited by Daves_not_here (04/05/13 03:24 PM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #18063027 - 04/05/13 03:43 PM (11 years, 13 days ago)

you havnt seen my flat, i have to clean the window frames regularly becuase black mold grows on them like its christmas every day.

mold grows on all the outside walls if you leave it long enough. even on the freshly painted walls.

never had a problem with bulk substrate.

But i do make sure that spawn is incolated in a glovebox, and looks good.

and that my bulk substrate is pasturised, and that its mixed in a clean space. i dont wear tuvek suits, or gas masks, or anything. I dont even spray disinfectants everywhere, but i do make sure i have where im working clean like i was expecting company, so super tidy and clean. like i just moved in.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract