Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinet3chnobily
Strangest
Male

Loc: As Seen In VT
Re: Agrocybe Aegerita grow. [Re: Jeff]
    #18043447 - 04/01/13 06:47 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

The power of genetics!  Whats the average yield per block on the first flush?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Agrocybe Aegerita grow. [Re: t3chnobily]
    #18043477 - 04/01/13 06:56 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I haven't been keeping track.  :facepalm:  I am not that great on record keeping.  Plus I only grow for fun so it really hasn't been an issue.

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

#18043548 - 04/01/13 07:16 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Great work by both Jeff and atricoz on this one! 

Jeff, any plans to try atricoz's strain again without casing? 

Also, what's the substrate mix for this batch?

--------------------

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Agrocybe Aegerita grow. [Re: NSF]
    #18043567 - 04/01/13 07:22 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I have done it without casing and it pins in clusters around the perimeter of the bag.  That is really why I went to casing in the first place. 
These bags are just pasteurized oak pellets with 20 grams of gypsum.  I haven't played around with supplementing them yet.

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

#18043577 - 04/01/13 07:25 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I wonder what would happen if you/we put casing in a ring around the outside of the block, against the bag, leaving the middle exposed?

--------------------

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

#18043587 - 04/01/13 07:27 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like you have an experiment on your hands.  :smile:

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineQueen of Kings
Get on with the Fascination
Female User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest, almost
    #18043802 - 04/01/13 08:30 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

The Sporeworks strain definitely wins -- or at least for me I'd rather have the fatter stems and skip the tallness.  Thanks for growing out this excellent comparison!

I have another flush coming off a different block right now and it looks a little fatter.  Naturally it is right at the edge of the bag -- had to tear some of the bag away to free it.

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

Re: Agrocybe Aegerita grow. [Re: Queen of Kings]
    #18043848 - 04/01/13 08:39 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I like them both.  :smile:  It was good to see them side by side though.

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineBlackPeace
Self proclaimed CEO
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #18056557 - 04/04/13 08:08 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Thank for sharing,

Just to share a bit of data: I get around 0,4 lb of fresh pioppinos (sporeworks strain) per dry 1000gr of hardwood sawdust (pasteurised, with 2% gypsum)
Not cased, first flush, smallest/unsellable mushroom not included in the yield above. 900ml of rye spawn per 1000 gr of dry sawdust.

I found that agrocybe aegerita tend to get weak fast if you let your colonized spawn get old. Contamination rate was high for me with old spawn on pasteurized wood pellets (which was not the case with the exact same scenario with shiitake and oyster).

They also seems to hate being in bags compared to jars. I plan on growing them exclusively in 1 liter plastic container.

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

Re: Agrocybe Aegerita grow. [Re: BlackPeace]
    #18058799 - 04/04/13 05:15 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

0.4lb per kg...?

That is a funny meeting of imperial and metric.  So you get 200gms per kg of dry substrate?  That's actually really quite good going.  Well, compared with my haul off a block.  Especially seeing as you don't supplement. 

Any idea of the age of your sawdust?  As in, is it sawdust from old dried timber or new green wood? 

Thanks for the tip on acting fast with Pioppino spawn.  I don't act fast and maybe it's impacting my yields. 

Do you case them?  If so, with what?

--------------------

OfflineQueen of Kings
Female User Gallery

#18059404 - 04/04/13 06:59 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

To update this thread...

My second block was super fine, though having only one large cluster.  I harvested that and greatly enjoyed it!!

My first block from earlier in this thread didn't want to pin on the top for a second flush.  However, when I saw side pins I stripped the block.  Considering how prone they are to aborting, I set them directly above the Coolmist so they have lots of humidity and FAE.  This is how they look tonight and I am feeling optimistic!!

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

Re: Agrocybe Aegerita grow. [Re: Queen of Kings]
    #18059527 - 04/04/13 07:24 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

HOLY SHIT!  That's not a block it's a porcupine!

And they look a little past the abort phase in the second pic.  No casing, no bag, just pumping out fruit!  I haven't seen A.a blocks like that before.  Sensational.

--------------------

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

#18059591 - 04/04/13 07:36 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I am really interested in this one M.  The survival rate of what you have now will be really good info.  Keep us posted.

--------------------
Myco-tek

OfflineBlackPeace
Self proclaimed CEO
Male

#18061511 - 04/05/13 08:21 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

It gives me around 182 gr of mushrooms worth selling per kilo of dry sawdust pellets. I get them straigh from the company, they recycle hardwood from other companies who cut furnitures and stuff like that. I thing the wood is OK aged.

I will upgrade the gypsum ratio, and play with pasteurised coir, coffee grinds and chicken manure to "supplement" the wood. I want at least a pound (454gr) of nice mushrooms per kilo of wood.

I don't case for now, I wan't to try to reach better yield without it. I don't want to have soil on my product... Especially because I will not be the only one who harvest them.

OfflineQueen of Kings
Female User Gallery

#18066764 - 04/06/13 11:39 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

A little further update on that second flush from the stripped-off bag...

I'm getting ready to leave them in the care of my Coolmist to go out of town overnight.  Hopefully they will keep till I get back.  It seems like most all the pins are developing; haven't seen anything aborting (yet).  Very exciting!

OK, got back from my overnighter, and here is the progress...second flush.  Looking good!

Edited by Queen of Kings (04/08/13 07:37 PM)

OfflineBlackPeace
Self proclaimed CEO
Male

#18547323 - 07/12/13 04:30 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'd like to add a few stuff with my pioppino experiment (sporeworks strain).

In my projects they contam very easily on pasteurized pellet... Compared to oyters and shiitake. Even with very high spawn ratio (900ml... even 1200ml... of rye per dry kilo of dry pasteurized wood pellet). I tossed around 80 blocks and I stopped... I will come back to it soon.

It well may be my fault, but I'm usually very good with sterilized substrates, playing with agar, etc. And most of my pasteurized projects works well.

I still find it very weird to have a 15% of perfectly good subtrate and the other contams...

Anyway, anybody experience the same problem?

Offlinedrake89
Mushroom Magnate
Male User Gallery

Loc: TN
Trusted Cultivator
    #18547977 - 07/12/13 09:06 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BlackPeace said:

In my projects they contam very easily on pasteurized pellet... Compared to oyters and shiitake. Even with very high spawn ratio (900ml... even 1200ml... of rye per dry kilo of dry pasteurized wood pellet). I tossed around 80 blocks and I stopped... I will come back to it soon.

It well may be my fault, but I'm usually very good with sterilized substrates, playing with agar, etc. And most of my pasteurized projects works well.

I still find it very weird to have a 15% of perfectly good subtrate and the other contams...

well I've got about 25lbs of grain spawn that's been sitting around while I get up and running, so I will keep that in mind and maybe only use half of it at first.  cause that was my initial plan, without sterilizer.  Why, does it run slow?  What contams were you encountering?

--------------------
Fiery Fungi (like us on faeboo)

OfflineJeff
Addict
Male User Gallery

#18548032 - 07/12/13 09:27 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BlackPeace said:

:shrug:  None of my blocks contaminated. I haven't ran 80 but probably close to 30 and all on pasteurized fuel pellets.  350 grams of spawn per five pound block.

--------------------
Myco-tek

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
    #18548087 - 07/12/13 09:58 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Jeff said:
Quote:

BlackPeace said:

:shrug:  None of my blocks contaminated. I haven't ran 80 but probably close to 30 and all on pasteurized fuel pellets.  350 grams of spawn per five pound block.

Wow thats a ton of spawn!  Maybe try sterilizing the blocks and adding %20bran.  Yes its more work and you probably coudlnt make as many; but they wont contaminate and will give you higher yields with much lower spawn rate.  I use 100g spawn per 6lbs block.  The most i would use would be 125g.  All the time you save making less spawn can go to making supplemented bags.  And even if you only have a 21qt cooker you can fit 4 5-6lb bags in them. Get two of them and you can do 8 at a time, run it 4 times a day giving you 32 sterilized supplemented bags a day.  Do this a couple of days, if necessary then you get 60 or 90 bags/week.  This is what i was doing 2 years ago; its how i got my small farm started.  Just some ideas, do what works best for you. :wink:

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
    #18548136 - 07/12/13 10:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BlackPeace said:

I have experienced just the opposite with enriched and sterilized blocks.  they just seemed to fruit over and over all winter and never contaminated.  they were also cased although the casing was not heat treated in any way. the first flushes were the smallest but once they got going they were cranking out some nice mush.  these are both second flushes.  the first picture was 14 oz or so.  I have found them very sensitive to climate but if you give them a chance they will eventually perform.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds