Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture)
    #1803723 - 08/12/03 12:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Here are a few later pictured image of the New species from the Citadel of the Cell In Xiem Riap near the East Gate towards Angkor Thom.

to be named Psilocybe angkoria and they are shroomy tasty to the max, 14 shrooms to be exact.

mj

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1803770 - 08/12/03 12:51 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

mj, youre the shit. props as always on the find

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Anonymous

deleted [Re: ZippoZ]
    #1804888 - 08/12/03 10:00 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

deleted

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1805008 - 08/12/03 11:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:tongue: 

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
    #1805022 - 08/12/03 11:25 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

mj....where do they compare in potency???

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

OfflineAbracadabra
TetraHydraCannibinol
Loc: North Carolina, US
Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: subterranean]
    #1805236 - 08/12/03 12:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Damn man, those are nice. Props on finding them. Peace

OfflineAnansi
------------

Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: Abracadabra]
    #1805550 - 08/12/03 02:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Great job mj! mmmm

InvisibleFungushungry
Addict

Loc: Whispering Winds
Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: Anansi]
    #1805960 - 08/12/03 04:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Damn mj how many species have you found now?

--------------------
"Early man walked away
As modernman took control
There mind's weren't all the same
And to conquer was their goal
So he built his great empire
And he slaughtered his own kind
He died a confused man
And killed himself in his own mind"

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: Fungushungry]
    #1816273 - 08/15/03 09:36 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Great find again and they look very interesting - but again ill have to remind you that the only way ot correctly establish any mushroom that you find is a new species is by examining the microscopic features and then - most importantly - isozyme protein analysis and spore compatibility tests. Until then you cannot argue that it is or isnt a new species - as they dont delineate on macroscopic features alone.

--------------------

OfflineTwista
Fire it up
Male

Loc: Central Florida
Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1816338 - 08/15/03 10:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

badass mj, i hope your personal life brings you as much happiness as your professional life b/c traveling everywhere, visiting the natives, has to feel great. long live mj and his adventures!

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: Twista]
    #1819496 - 08/16/03 12:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

bluemeanie - if you scour the mycological taxonomy literature you will find it is most common for new mushroom species to be described on the basis of macroscopic and microscopic characters alone. While this is not ideal, full molecular and mating characterizations of each new taxon would currently be impractical. Such work is typically carried out in revisions of small selected groups.
Where molecular studies are made, however, isozyme protein analyses have been almost completely superceded in the past few decades by DNA sequence comparison techniques.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Curious cat. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1820632 - 08/16/03 07:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'm just curious, how did you know these were Psilocybe if they have never been found before?

Did you sample some without an ID?

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Curious cat. [Re: Stymee]
    #1820783 - 08/16/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

A purple spore print would identify the genus psilocybe.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Curious cat. [Re: YidakiMan]
    #1821239 - 08/16/03 11:27 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

BEcause they have all of the characteristics belonging to the genus psilocybe which are described in this or the grow log and picture forum by me under the name mjshroomer at the top of the threads pages.

My discovery of this Psilocybe is similar to the P. samuiensis
I discovered on Koh Samui and to the liberty caps of Oregon Washington and the rest of the species in the genus. there are as noted many times by me and others more than 115 Psilocybe speices with psilocine/psilocybine, not counting the other 11 genera with psilocine, etc., which have certain identifying chracateristics which distinguish them from other genera

mj

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: New Cambodian Magic Mushroom (Picture) [Re: pluteus]
    #1835903 - 08/21/03 02:19 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

'Where molecular studies are made, however, isozyme protein analyses have been almost completely superceded in the past few decades by DNA sequence comparison techniques. '
Sure, though I wouldnt say the last few decades, but I am only aware of one study conducted on the genus Psilocybe using DNA sequencing comparison techniques (although I know of one being conducted currently) whereas I can quote a number that have used isozyme analysis.
And i also concede that mycologists characteristically describe new species by macroscopic and microscopic variations alone, but usually when they have made a full and careful comparison of similar species and their characteristics has been undertaken. And it is often flawed - the example of Guzman's delineation of the subaeruginosa complex demonstrates that protein analysis later proved he was incorrect.
My point here was that identifying a mushroom on macroscopic appearance alone and proclaiming it as a new species, isnt sound. If we had a description of the microscopic features of this mushroom and Samuiensis and there were reliable and consistant differences, then I would accept the claim. Otherwise I stand by my previous statement.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1835923 - 08/21/03 02:32 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

AS I mention edd in quite a few posts and have posted SEM of the spores of this species. Prakitsin Sihanonth of Chulalongkorn University, Head of the Deprtment of Microbiology and Faculty of Science and I , along with one Japanese DNA scholar, Two thai;s conducting chemical analysis and two others who have cultivated the species and our comparison of the thre sppecies, P. mexicana, P. samuiensis and the New Cambodian species are three individual species closely related. The samuiensis is the only species outside of mexico directly related to Psilocybe mexicana. And now we have what will tentavely be named, Psilocybe ankoria Sihanonth and Allen. So it is a new species. And as you know, publishing journal articles can take two to three years after submission.

MJ. WE hav exameined 18 mushrooms from Southeast ASia, including three other non-psychoactive new species of Psilocybe, One confirmed as Psilocybe by Roy Watling just two weeks ago which I thought was a Stropharia.

The Psilocybe violacea and a similar species which resemblece small specimens of P. cubensis but is not psychoactive. It had trytamines related to psilocine/psilocybine but no active compounds.
So we do know what we are talking about.

mj

I really am not going to go through explaining this again.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1835952 - 08/21/03 02:51 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

'The Psilocybe violacea and a similar species which resemblece small specimens of P. cubensis but is not psychoactive. It had trytamines related to psilocine/psilocybine but no active compounds.
So we do know what we are talking about.'

Since that last comment incidently has nothing to do with the topic of this post Im wondering if you really do know what we are talking about... :smile: Only having a stab MJ...
Sure - i was just wondering why - if you were aware of the microscopic features of this mushroom - you didnt post them in this post. Then we could all compare them for ourselves. I always enjoy your posts, but was just suggesting you may have jumped the gun a bit - either way good find...
Did you say you personally are conducting 'chemical' analysis of this mushroom? :smile: I would be interested to see this - and it is much more reliable than macroscopic appearance. I assume you mean that those that are cultivating this mushroom are actually going to examine this mushroom microscopically?? Id love a print or mushroom frament.
I didnt mention publications - if you post the microscopic features of this mushroom we can compare it to samuiensis.
lastly the name is too long - what a mouthful...

--------------------

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#1836193 - 08/21/03 05:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i wana find my own shroom :\

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1836227 - 08/21/03 06:02 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The article will apper in the journal of foresic csience and the taxonomy in mycotaxon. Until the papers are published the information in it is the intellectual property of the journals and We are not allowed to prepost much of the information inthe aaaaaarticles, especially on the net.

Jonathan oOtt is about to report the publishing of his paper from Harvard's Botanical Museum Leflets on the eys pape of Mexcio OPtt wrote years ago. They ae actually prepparing a claim against Hunter Rivero Wilson or whatever he is calling himmself today.

Harvard does not allow the publication of its material on the internet unless they themselves provide the information. I also was not allow to post a listing of the Wasson muceum archives at Harvard wihich Wasson donated and was threatened with legal action if I did.

I was also told that i am not allow to visit their library of Wasson material although I have a note from RGW allowing me to view his material. Harvard in a private letter to me which I also posted here at the Shroomery also informed me that I would not be allowed in tgheir library.

AS an ex-veteran that is one of the most un-american rightsd of mine which I believe is a vioolation of the constitutional right to freedom of expression and speech and the right to view materials in an institute of higher learning.

According to a few Harvard scholars who arre personal friends of mine, they say it is because I am ot a Harvard graduate, student or alumni from their institution so I have no rights. They claim itr is their interlectual property./

And again, I refuse to debate this issuwe any more. I have said what I wanted to say and you can think what yo want to think.

matter is close.

Offlinepluteus
level-9 deviant

Loc: London area, UK
    #1838038 - 08/21/03 06:36 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

bluemeanie - I do agree with your stance. Many newly published species are dubious because of a narrow approach to mushroom taxonomy. I too have viewed Guzman's views about relationships within Psilocybe with skepticism and have been pleased to see molecular work confirm my version of events.

With regard to Psilocybe species and DNA studies, if you look on GenBank on the NCBI website you will find DNA sequence data for around 30 species of Psilocybe, and this number is quickly increasing. I think you might be interested in this recent study, if you haven't already read it:

Moncalvo, J. M., et al. (2002). One hundred and seventeen clades of euagarics. Molecuar Phyogenetics and Evolution 23: 357?400

This paper includes 30 species of Psilocybe and clearly shows them as having evolved in two independent lineages. In general, one clade consists of psychoactive species and the other of non-psychoactive species. Psilocybe is thus a polyphyletic genus and should be considered invalid as it stands. Furthermore, as the type species for this genus (P. montana) is non-psilocybian, the psychoactive species will probably not retain the name Psilocybe (except in the case of a nomen conservandum being proposed). So we could eventually end up having a new name for this group, like 'Psychedelia', which would be okay, or they might revive some old boring name for this group, which would be a shame...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification