Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepsylicon
Adventurer
Loc: Urbana, IL
Entheogenic apathy?
    #1799940 - 08/10/03 10:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm posting this because there is a trend that I have noticed in my own political ideology since I began using mushrooms several years ago, and several of my close friends have noticed something similar; curious if anybody else has similar experience. What I'm referring to is somewhat of an apathy to all the powergames and stupid bullshit of our society; apathy to politics, the human condition; in the face of the infinite of the cosmos and the infintisemal section of known reality occupied by the human species. It's certainly not that I don't care about these issues (all the political reform controversies, especially drug policy, US foreign policy, etc) as I certainly do, but I seem to find more solace in establishing somewhat of a retreat into a more philisophical mindset. Rather than remain in the US and become politically active, I'd prefer to move to Canada or somewhere I can follow my own path more freely (by the way does anybody know the status of entheogens in Canada?) I guess particularly I'm curious about other people's experience along these lines to see whether mushrooms do impose this kind of mindfulness, or if it is just a trend specific to myself and my friends since we've all grown up together.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: psylicon]
    #1799972 - 08/10/03 11:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Apathy is a trait that I find alot of Americans have, it's hard to not be pretty apathetic when you hardly have a voice in how the country you live in is run.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1799977 - 08/10/03 11:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

(by the way does anybody know the status of entheogens in Canada?)

I guess you are too apathetic to do your own readily-available research. How sad. :frown: 

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: Swami]
    #1800011 - 08/10/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hahahhahahhaha good one.

Offlinepsylicon
Adventurer
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1800116 - 08/10/03 11:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This is something somewhat different I think that most people's disillusioned apathy. For me at least, it seems to stem more from the recognition that our species is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So that's what I'm looking for, is anybody else who has had a similar disinterest in the myriad games as a result of entheogenic use.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1800223 - 08/11/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ah.... the game of life.
It sucks when you have to play by someone else's rules, doesn't it?
Change starts with the individual. Apathy occurs when you allow the rules to affect your concept of self worth.

What are you looking for... motivation?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1800375 - 08/11/03 12:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psylicon said:
This is something somewhat different I think that most people's disillusioned apathy. For me at least, it seems to stem more from the recognition that our species is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So that's what I'm looking for, is anybody else who has had a similar disinterest in the myriad games as a result of entheogenic use.

Yes, yes i have, but i dont know if that is a result of drug use, or growing up. I dont want to play the social game, and ive given up on looking for source's; *save the children* *protest the war's* *go green!* *etc.* to justify my life. Ive accepted that it is my goal to live, and it is up to me to live the best life i can, and i have, in my head, disattached myself from political, spiritual, social, class's/worries/parametre's.

I guess realizing how pointless it all is, and how pointless you are in that grand scheme of thing's is a bit of an ego crusher and we? (i've) settle'd into a slump of trying to distance myself as much aspossible while co existing among. Again, growing up, or drug use?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: PDU]
    #1800446 - 08/11/03 01:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"Again, growing up, or drug use? "

I'd say both. My life drasticly changed with drug use. The life I was living plus drugs acted synergisticly, to bring about nessasary change.

Offlinepsylicon
Adventurer
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1801758 - 08/11/03 12:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I did find some insight by Terence McKenna in response to my own question: http://deoxy.org/t_adt.htm#arc

"The 20th century mind is nostalgic for the paradise that once existed on the mushroom dotted plains of Africa where the plant-human symbiosis occurred that pulled us out of the animal body and into the tool-using, culture-making, imagination-exploring creature that we are. And why does this matter? It matters because it shows that the way out is back and that the future is a forward escape into the past. This is what the psychedelic experience means. Its a doorway out of history and into the wiring under the board in eternity. And I tell you this because if the community understands what it is that holds it together the community will be better able to streamline itself for flight into hyperspace because what we need is a new myth, what we need is a new true story that tells us where we're going in the universe and that true story is that the ego is a product of pathology, and when psilocybin is regularly part of the human experience the ego is supressed and the supression of the ego means the defeat of the dominators, the materialists, the product peddlers. Psychedelics return us to the inner worth of the self, to the importance of the feeling of immediate experience - and nobody can sell that to you and nobody can buy it from you, so the dominator culture is not interested in the felt presence of immediate experience, but that's what holds the community together. And as we break out of the silly myths of science, and the infantile obsessions of the marketplace what we discover through the psychedelic experience is that in the body, IN THE BODY, there are Niagras of beauty, alien beauty, alien dimensions that are part of the self, the richest part of life."

Although I am a little skeptical of McKenna after reading his article on 2012, but it is nice to see his analysis of the entheogenic detachment.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1802649 - 08/11/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:
"Again, growing up, or drug use? "

I'd say both. My life drasticly changed with drug use. The life I was living plus drugs acted synergisticly, to bring about nessasary change.

Yes, absolutely, drug's helped me choose a more satisfying life path...which i was developing at the time *still am*.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1803173 - 08/11/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Odd. I find that while marijuana makes me terribly apathetic, entheogens do not. If anything, they increase my awareness that I am part of this world and that my life is not insignificant. Entheogens do strip away the powergames and bullshit, but I always find myself awaking with a new vigor, a new hold on it all. It helps illuminate the ways in which I can change life and connects me back to the earth and the human conscience. I struggle at times with the desire to run to Canada and leave all this behind, just living a life of nature and beauty until it all comes to pass. And then I sober up and remember that it's the easy way out and that for all the bullshit and all the total bile of what is going on in this country, nothing is more beautiful then the sea shimmering in mendocino, or the 4th of july fireworks over lake tahoe viewed from almost 10K on Pyramid peak or what it looks when a 50k march crests over a hill in San Francisco... and I wait, for the revolution.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1803206 - 08/11/03 07:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
If anything, they increase my awareness that I am part of this world and that my life is not insignificant. Entheogens do strip away the powergames and bullshit, but I always find myself awaking with a new vigor, a new hold on it all. It helps illuminate the ways in which I can change life and connects me back to the earth and the human conscience.

Same for me, but it focus's me on....ME and my own surrounding's and what i can do to impact my own life, and ive slowly moved away from the enthusiasm i had once had to "stick it to the man" and "fuck the system"...as i said before, ive been more focused on improving my own life and concentrating on thing's which i can impact....rather than writing letters to my local MP.

I can very easily say Entheogen's have made me more aware of what the world has to offer, and just how much Systems/organizations/laws/rule's/guideline's/preconception's/etc limit my own life, and consequently have moved me away from all of the above, so i can focus on doing the best i can for myself.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1803225 - 08/11/03 07:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

But, if you impact your own life.... do you not feel as if your life impacts others?

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1803909 - 08/11/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
But, if you impact your own life.... do you not feel as if your life impacts others?

Somewhat, although i suspect that im probably more aware of this impact than most would be, its kind of beside the point though.

As ive said before...i do what i want in my own life, aslong as it doesnt impose on other's....this isnt hard to do, i dont obey rule's or law, but i dont cause anything to happen which impact's whoever or whatever the rule or law was made to protect. I just do what i want, and live how i want to, Im done with looking for reason, trying to validate my life by fighting the system, or the school, the teachers, the parents, the cops...whoever...Im done with that, i just want to live my life, and focus on MY life, and no one elses. Why dont i worry about politic's...because at this point they have no effect on me what-so-ever, same with the social system and whatever else. Certainly, i am somewhat dependant upon these thing's, but not preoccupied with them...as far as im concerned these things place no constraints on me, and they never will....as long as i leave no reason to think ive done wrong, which i take pride in doing.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
    #1804434 - 08/12/03 02:17 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, drugs (can) brainwash you not to care, they shift your perceptions of chronological reality and make your mind interpret things on a grander, almost geological scale.

and, politics are exhuasting, sickening, annoying, boring, and saddening. You don't have to be stoned to be uninterested in politics, Why care about foreign policy when you could be playing super-bomberman, fucking your girlfriend and getting drunk? Apathy is a pretty natural thing when you enjoy your life.

but wait until they start making you wear armbands....then your
apathy will dissipate.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1804544 - 08/12/03 03:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"Apathy is a pretty natural thing when you enjoy your life."

Man, you got it. When i stopped caring so much, and focusing on me, rather than "the grand scheme of things" is when i started enjoying life.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1804578 - 08/12/03 03:43 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
I can very easily say Entheogen's have made me more aware of what the world has to offer, and just how much Systems/organizations/laws/rule's/guideline's/preconception's/etc limit my own life, and consequently have moved me away from all of the above, so i can focus on doing the best i can for myself.

Ahh... yes.. this is great. Any sort of wall we put around us in our head holds us in, limits our freedom. Obviously, some very basic walls need to be in place, for the good of everyone, that ensure us all what we need to survive, and that we shouldn't harm others. This should be in all of our heads, the respect for others life. However, most of the shit we have to put up with now are completely unnecessary, and the best way to get away from it is to forget about it.

They say that the best way to change something is to work within the system, but I don't find that true. If everyone simply moves to a new system, the old system is left behind, useless and forgotten.

Living your life and keeping your surroundings in good shape.. it sounds like you are a little more aware than the rest of most of these people.. we are completely free. Free your mind, free your mind...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1804586 - 08/12/03 03:48 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

atomikfunksoldier said:
Apathy is a pretty natural thing when you enjoy your life.

but wait until they start making you wear armbands....then your
apathy will dissipate.

Enjoying your life does not equal apathy.. we all need to ensure that we can continue to enjoy your life. The day that they decide to put armbands on us will never happen, as no one will want to wear them. Buried within all of the United States people, freedom still rings, and the moment that the government reaches for that kind of facist control, the government will no longer exist.

They are definitely reaching for more security laws, trying to lock us down, but there are not a lot of them honestly trying to do that, about juust as many that frequent this board. Believe me, we won't see it happen.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1804611 - 08/12/03 04:04 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--"Amazingly, a recent USA Today/CNN/Gallup poll showed that 49 percent of respondents would support mandatory IDs for all Arabs in the U.S. -- including American citizens of Arab heritage."

http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2001/11/08/3bea41fea318d

mmmmmm, arm bands. Enjoying your life does breed apathy, its pefectly logical. Your life is good = The place you live is good = your government is good = your government foreign policy is good.

im sure that train of thought is quite popular among many a human.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Entheogenic apathy? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1804636 - 08/12/03 04:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

PDU said:
I

They say that the best way to change something is to work within the system, but I don't find that true. If everyone simply moves to a new system, the old system is left behind, useless and forgotten.

Living your life and keeping your surroundings in good shape.. it sounds like you are a little more aware than the rest of most of these people.. we are completely free. Free your mind, free your mind...
Peace.

I like your theory of just leaving this system behind, alot more practical than the arm'd revolution i keep hearin' about.
We do need to free our mind's, We have all this freedom...but a gigantic majority have no use for it, they are happy to live docile within - doing what everyone else is doing, which is what they are being told to do.

There is no reason to fight, per se. People need to start practicing and pushing their freedom's...I did it in school, and I lost my public education because of it, However, now i know how (or am learning) to TRULY exist, and not be pushed around by generic rule's which dont apply in my case.

The main opponent in this battle to get people to realize the subliminally controlled live's they exist is that they are fooled into being satisfied by these false live's. They arnt fooling into thinking they are satisfied, they ARE satisfied. They need to realize how much better it can be...on the other side.

and...thank you.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies