Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleCyclohexylamine
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
 User Gallery

Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study * 1
    #18025236 - 03/28/13 06:32 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

According to this post here.

The studies that are linked to at the bottom show nothing of the sort...
Don't people read the studies they link to before writing an article? I guess I know the answer to that already. Actually I think this is more a case of total dishonesty than naivety.
Someone posted that article on facebook as proof that aspartame causes leukemia and lymphoma.

--------------------
:brainondrugs:

You are not special :haha:

Edited by Cyclohexylamine (03/28/13 06:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Cyclohexylamine]
    #18025320 - 03/28/13 06:50 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

The combined results of this new study showed that just one 12-fl oz. can (355 ml) of diet soda daily leads to

The simple solution is to only drink 11 ounces. :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

Loc: Texas
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Cyclohexylamine] * 1
    #18025325 - 03/28/13 06:51 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:

Don't people read the studies they link to before writing an article? I guess I know the answer to that already. Actually I think this is more a case of total dishonesty than naivety.
Someone posted that article on facebook as proof that aspartame causes leukemia and lymphoma.

I don't think aspartame is healthy whether it turns out to be linked to leukemia or not.  For the last few years I didn't believe the negative hype about aspartame.  But due to increasing health problems I cut it out of my diet completely.  The results have been overwhelmingly positive. 

I've heard that humans are much more sensitve to aspartame than any lab animal.  One of the chemists I work with said that it is unstable in liquid form and one of the break down products is methanol if it is heated high enough, but he was not sure at exactly what temperture this happens.

It is the most complained about product according to the FDA, and it receives about 80% of all the food related complaints.  Some scientists such as Dr. Russell Blaylock, refer to it as an excitotoxin that causes neurodegenartive diseases.

But...go ahead and consume it becuase the FDA has all out best interests at heart and would never steer us wrong.  The Nutrasweet company would never lie or conduct flawed studies.  i am probably just some weird anomaly who is somewhat allergic to it. :shrug:

InvisibleWhite Beard

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #18025328 - 03/28/13 06:52 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

I drink 11.9 ounces. Yeah, I'm a risk taker.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: HippieChick8]
    #18025750 - 03/28/13 08:06 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:

I don't think aspartame is healthy whether it turns out to be linked to leukemia or not.  For the last few years I didn't believe the negative hype about aspartame.  But due to increasing health problems I cut it out of my diet completely.  The results have been overwhelmingly positive. 

How do you know the results have been positive?  I bet you don't know what the results were at all.  Its pretty difficult to figure something like that out yourself without a rigorous blinded protocol.

Quote:

I've heard that humans are much more sensitve to aspartame than any lab animal.  One of the chemists I work with said that it is unstable in liquid form and one of the break down products is methanol if it is heated high enough, but he was not sure at exactly what temperture this happens.

It breaks down into methanol in the body anyways, just like many other products in our food.

As for whether humans are more sensitive, who cares?  Studies done on humans themselves have been unable to identify any damage from reasonable conceivable uses of aspartame.

I'm pretty suspicious of the aspartame alarmists as they pretty much never target other chemicals that break down to methanol and don't seek the removal of them from the grocery stores (and much of their beloved organic produce along with it).

Quote:

It is the most complained about product according to the FDA, and it receives about 80% of all the food related complaints.  Some scientists such as Dr. Russell Blaylock, refer to it as an excitotoxin that causes neurodegenartive diseases.

So what?

A bunch of people complained because janet jackson's nipple was on TV for a second- that doesn't mean it caused any problems.

People are dumb and there's a great deal of hysteria about aspartame, so of course there's a lot of complaints.  That said, please cite this 80% figure, because that sounds quite exaggerated given the number of food poisoning cases every year.

Quote:

But...go ahead and consume it becuase the FDA has all out best interests at heart and would never steer us wrong.  The Nutrasweet company would never lie or conduct flawed studies.  i am probably just some weird anomaly who is somewhat allergic to it. :shrug:

Nice straw man.  If you keep arguing against phantoms you'll find there's no need to consider contrary positions at all.

a) there's good evidence aspartame has no serious problems when considering studies not funded by commercial interests,
b) what difference does it make who funds the study?  If you have evidence of fraud, come out with it.
c) you haven't demonstrated you've suffered any problems from aspartame.
d) who gives a damn about the FDA?  The aspartame hippies are wrong not because the FDA approved aspartame but because they are making hysterical claims with no evidence and plenty of contravening evidence.

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:

No, I don't think they even read the abstracts or attempt to understand them.  All they need to know is a few facts, such as toxic products are produced from the chemical, and they have their answer right there.  Questions of dose, effect, et cet are completely dismissed.

These are the same people that will eat organic tomatoes with no worries about methanol, but because soda contains a 'chemical' will throw a fit.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: johnm214]
    #18025802 - 03/28/13 08:16 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

no more coke zero for me!
soda water with some speed is better anyway

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Cyclohexylamine] * 5
    #18025847 - 03/28/13 08:24 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

I would like to see a study where aspartame is linked to things tasting like ass, because if you put that shit in anything it tastes like ass.

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: johnm214] * 1
    #18026042 - 03/28/13 08:55 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

HippieChick8 said:

How do you know the results have been positive?  I bet you don't know what the results were at all.  Its pretty difficult to figure something like that out yourself without a rigorous blinded protocol.

Quote:

It breaks down into methanol in the body anyways, just like many other products in our food.

As for whether humans are more sensitive, who cares?  Studies done on humans themselves have been unable to identify any damage from reasonable conceivable uses of aspartame.

I'm pretty suspicious of the aspartame alarmists as they pretty much never target other chemicals that break down to methanol and don't seek the removal of them from the grocery stores (and much of their beloved organic produce along with it).

Quote:

So what?

A bunch of people complained because janet jackson's nipple was on TV for a second- that doesn't mean it caused any problems.

People are dumb and there's a great deal of hysteria about aspartame, so of course there's a lot of complaints.  That said, please cite this 80% figure, because that sounds quite exaggerated given the number of food poisoning cases every year.

Quote:

Nice straw man.  If you keep arguing against phantoms you'll find there's no need to consider contrary positions at all.

a) there's good evidence aspartame has no serious problems when considering studies not funded by commercial interests,
b) what difference does it make who funds the study?  If you have evidence of fraud, come out with it.
c) you haven't demonstrated you've suffered any problems from aspartame.
d) who gives a damn about the FDA?  The aspartame hippies are wrong not because the FDA approved aspartame but because they are making hysterical claims with no evidence and plenty of contravening evidence.

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:

No, I don't think they even read the abstracts or attempt to understand them.  All they need to know is a few facts, such as toxic products are produced from the chemical, and they have their answer right there.  Questions of dose, effect, et cet are completely dismissed.

These are the same people that will eat organic tomatoes with no worries about methanol, but because soda contains a 'chemical' will throw a fit.

Here is one source:http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Aspartame

From the article:
Industry-funded studies

In 2007, a review study was published by a panel of experts,[79] declaring aspartame to be "very safe".[80] The panel was chosen by the Burdock Group, a consulting firm serving the food, dietary supplement, and cosmetics industries,[80] which was in turn hired by Ajinomoto,[81] the world's largest aspartame manufacturer. Michael F. Jacobson, executive director of the consumer group Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), said that the study was "totally unreliable" and that some members of the expert panel were "longstanding industry consultants". He also observed that the panel was highly accepting of studies finding aspartame safe, but highly critical of those linking aspartame to possible health risks.[80] The panel coordinator responded that panel members were not told the name of the company funding the study until the study was submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.

Critics ask whether the review has any credibility given that the authors have done paid work for Monsanto, several authors have official positions in trade and research associations funded by Monsanto, Ajinomoto, Coca Cola, and PepsiCo, several authors work for corporate advocacy groups, one of which called aspartame toxicity a 'nonissue' before the review was undertaken, and one author who consults for companies that sell aspartame and in the past has said that aspartame is safe.[82][83] The chief scientist behind the review, Bernadene Magnuson, is a consultant to the aspartame and soft drink industry, and has travelled the world, funded by companies like Coca-Cola, to give reassuring lectures on the safety of aspartame.[84]

A 2005 report in The Guardian stated that a 1996 review of aspartame research found that every single industry-funded study found aspartame safe, but 92% of independent studies identified one or more problems with its safety.[85][86][35] The article referred to Ralph G. Walton, a professor of clinical psychiatry at Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy,[87] who states that industry funding may have affected the conclusions of aspartame-related research. Walton states that researchers with ties to industry find no safety problems, while many of those without ties to aspartame find toxicities.[35][88]

Also in 2005, the British Medical Journal published a letter that noted that "the glaring disparity in results from industry funded and independently funded research is clearly of considerable concern."[89]

Do you have proof that most independent studies show aspartame to be non-hazardous?

I actually quit aspartame to see if problems with my eyes such as blurriness and floaters would resolve.  My main source of aspartame was Diet 7-Up and Crystal light lemonade (no caffeine).  Not only I am not having those eye problems anymore but the insomnia that I've had for about 2 years now is gone.  I didn't even expect that to happen.  I was very doubtful that eliminating aspartame would do anything positive.

I not not going to be an activist for the removal of Aspartame but I such don't think it's healthy. As long as they continue to label the products that contain it, I won't interfere with anyone's "right" to consume it.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: HippieChick8]
    #18026092 - 03/28/13 09:07 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:

Here is one source:http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Aspartame

From the article:
Industry-funded studies

In 2007, a review study was published by a panel of experts,[79] declaring aspartame to be "very safe".[80] The panel was chosen by the Burdock Group, a consulting firm serving the food, dietary supplement, and cosmetics industries,[80] which was in turn hired by Ajinomoto,[81] the world's largest aspartame manufacturer. Michael F. Jacobson, executive director of the consumer group Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), said that the study was "totally unreliable" and that some members of the expert panel were "longstanding industry consultants". He also observed that the panel was highly accepting of studies finding aspartame safe, but highly critical of those linking aspartame to possible health risks.[80] The panel coordinator responded that panel members were not told the name of the company funding the study until the study was submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.

Critics ask whether the review has any credibility given that the authors have done paid work for Monsanto, several authors have official positions in trade and research associations funded by Monsanto, Ajinomoto, Coca Cola, and PepsiCo, several authors work for corporate advocacy groups, one of which called aspartame toxicity a 'nonissue' before the review was undertaken, and one author who consults for companies that sell aspartame and in the past has said that aspartame is safe.[82][83] The chief scientist behind the review, Bernadene Magnuson, is a consultant to the aspartame and soft drink industry, and has travelled the world, funded by companies like Coca-Cola, to give reassuring lectures on the safety of aspartame.[84]

A 2005 report in The Guardian stated that a 1996 review of aspartame research found that every single industry-funded study found aspartame safe, but 92% of independent studies identified one or more problems with its safety.[85][86][35] The article referred to Ralph G. Walton, a professor of clinical psychiatry at Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy,[87] who states that industry funding may have affected the conclusions of aspartame-related research. Walton states that researchers with ties to industry find no safety problems, while many of those without ties to aspartame find toxicities.[35][88]

Also in 2005, the British Medical Journal published a letter that noted that "the glaring disparity in results from industry funded and independently funded research is clearly of considerable concern."[89]

So out of all of this, all you've got is:

insinuations of fraud or dishonesty that haven't been proven or even clearly based on anything,
selection bias in a 2007 study,
claims of disparity in results from independant vs industry funded research

Where is the evidence of actual problems with aspartame when used as intended?

Quote:

Do you have proof that most independent studies show aspartame to be non-hazardous?

Who cares?  It only takes one repeatable study, independant or not, to demonstrate your claim as true.  A good review, likely the 2007 one mentioned in your critical piece, is here:  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8335528#8335528 ; Seems convincing to me.

If you have evidence of the selection bias in the analysis, I'd be interested in hearing of it.

Quote:

I actually quit aspartame to see if problems with my eyes such as blurriness and floaters would resolve.  My main source of aspartame was Diet 7-Up and Crystal light lemonade (no caffeine).  Not only I am not having those eye problems anymore but the insomnia that I've had for about 2 years now is gone.  I didn't even expect that to happen.  I was very doubtful that eliminating aspartame would do anything positive.

And what makes you think these differences have anything to do with aspartame?  Is this just post hoc ergo propter hoc? 

Quote:

I not not going to be an activist for the removal of Aspartame but I such don't think it's healthy. As long as they continue to label the products that contain it, I won't interfere with anyone's "right" to consume it.

I'm sure that will continue given the phenylalanine content of aspartame.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #18026100 - 03/28/13 09:10 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

I think the stuff tastes like ass too. :lol:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

#18026307 - 03/28/13 10:00 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Do you think that every chemical on the market today that is intended for human consumption is safe because it has the FDA's seal of approval?  Do you know that aspartame was banned by the FDA for 16 years until 1981 when Reagan appointed a new FDA commissioner?  It all boils down to politics. 

It also boils down to trust.  I trust people that I know personally more than I trust any institution.  For example, I was told by an FDA chemist that I know personally that retinyl palmitate, when applied to the skin and exposed to sunlight, causes cancerous tumors.  But for political reasons this substance has not been banned in sunscreens. 

I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry so I do have some inside information on certain matters.  The only reason I'm stating this is not to try to win some debate but just as a warning.  People are naive when it comes to Big Pharma and the FDA.  They seem to believe in "scientific studies" with an almost religious like fervor.  I know a PhD chemist who was told to "make the data work, PERIOD!"  He even came up with a slogan:  If you torture the data enough, it will confess.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #18026467 - 03/28/13 10:34 PM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:
Do you think that every chemical on the market today that is intended for human consumption is safe because it has the FDA's seal of approval?

Why do you keep attacking that straw man?  I don't think the FDA should even exist in its present form, and certainly never claimed any reliance on FDA approval.

The fact is there's no reason to think the methanol produced is harmful in ordinary usage and the alarmists ignore conflicting data to sprad nonsense around.

Quote:

Do you know that aspartame was banned by the FDA for 16 years until 1981 when Reagan appointed a new FDA commissioner?  It all boils down to politics. 

And heroin has no medical use but morphine does- who gives a shit?  Regulatory decisions are irrelevant and often make little sense.

Quote:

It also boils down to trust.  I trust people that I know personally more than I trust any institution.  For example, I was told by an FDA chemist that I know personally that retinyl palmitate, when applied to the skin and exposed to sunlight, causes cancerous tumors.  But for political reasons this substance has not been banned in sunscreens. 

So what?

Quote:

I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry so I do have some inside information on certain matters.  The only reason I'm stating this is not to try to win some debate but just as a warning.  People are naive when it comes to Big Pharma and the FDA.  They seem to believe in "scientific studies" with an almost religious like fervor.  I know a PhD chemist who was told to "make the data work, PERIOD!"  He even came up with a slogan:  If you torture the data enough, it will confess.

more arguments from authority- you can't trust those big corporations/government/chemists.

Either you have evidence to support the finding that aspartame is dangerous or you don't.  Since you've not responded to my rebuttals and you keep attacking straw man arguments, I'm guessing you don't.

Invisiblelessismore
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: johnm214]
    #18027078 - 03/29/13 04:52 AM (11 years, 2 days ago)

I always get colas where the aspartame have broken down

those really taste like ass

especially cola light that are too old

wonder what happens when aspartame break down(due to sunlight/cola being too old, they taste really bad when it happens..., and if it is unhealthy)

had one which was 1 year too old once, but normal colas last forever, no expiration date, one can drink 20 year old colas due to the sugar conserving it

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: lessismore]
    #18027094 - 03/29/13 05:01 AM (11 years, 2 days ago)

I once drank some 5 billion year old water. Tasted funny.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #18027220 - 03/29/13 06:29 AM (11 years, 2 days ago)

Was it yellow?

Maybe someone else got to it first. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Icelander]
    #18032106 - 03/30/13 08:50 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

We had a VP of research at Pepsi come talk to the biochem department at my university about their work on artificial sweeteners.

It was really quite fascinating.  They had done all these tests to show how the body responds to the taste of sugar. I can't remember all the details exactly but It was stuff like priming the metabolism and starting the insulin response for sugar.  They showed how different artificial sweeteners would stimulate the body in different ways to start the process of digesting and using the sugar.  But since there is no sugar it led to other unwanted effects.

The take home message is that the sugar receptors on your tongue start a regulatory cascade for the processing of sugar.  Now different sugar-like molecules all signal these pathways in some way, but don't provide the sugar.  It confuses the body and they were trying to design better sweeteners based on this research.

Something all of us noted, they didn't show any of the research for aspartame or sweeteners actually in their drinks.

Then one of the professors asked a really poignant question about safety.  Basically all this research is quite new, over 15 years after these sweeteners hit the market.  He was asking about how this new data would reflect on the safety of already available sweeteners.  Pepsi VP just beat around the bush and never gave a straight answer, lol.

We still do not understand the effect of these substances on the body.  We are starting to realize that it is all a lot more complicated than just tasting like sugar.

Funny story on how sucralose was discovered:

A bunch of sugar analogues were being tested for various things.  A supervisor told a new foreign student to go "test" the new compound.  He head to go "taste" it.  He did and he told them, It is really really really sweet!

And sucralose was born!

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Edited by Cannashroom (03/30/13 08:51 AM)

OfflineFishOilTheKid
Ascended
 User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Cannashroom]
    #18032145 - 03/30/13 09:09 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

The Obama Administration has given its blessing to PepsiCo to continue utilizing the services of a company that produces flavor chemicals for the beverage giant using aborted human fetal tissue.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/035276_Pepsi_fetal_cells_business_operations.html#ixzz2P2IPJb7j

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: FishOilTheKid]
    #18032202 - 03/30/13 09:32 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

yum.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Cannashroom]
    #18032272 - 03/30/13 10:01 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Cannashroom said:
We had a VP of research at Pepsi come talk to the biochem department at my university about their work on artificial sweeteners.

It was really quite fascinating.  They had done all these tests to show how the body responds to the taste of sugar. I can't remember all the details exactly but It was stuff like priming the metabolism and starting the insulin response for sugar.  They showed how different artificial sweeteners would stimulate the body in different ways to start the process of digesting and using the sugar.  But since there is no sugar it led to other unwanted effects.

The take home message is that the sugar receptors on your tongue start a regulatory cascade for the processing of sugar.  Now different sugar-like molecules all signal these pathways in some way, but don't provide the sugar.  It confuses the body and they were trying to design better sweeteners based on this research.

Something all of us noted, they didn't show any of the research for aspartame or sweeteners actually in their drinks.

Then one of the professors asked a really poignant question about safety.  Basically all this research is quite new, over 15 years after these sweeteners hit the market.  He was asking about how this new data would reflect on the safety of already available sweeteners.  Pepsi VP just beat around the bush and never gave a straight answer, lol.

We still do not understand the effect of these substances on the body.  We are starting to realize that it is all a lot more complicated than just tasting like sugar.

A bunch of sugar analogues were being tested for various things.  A supervisor told a new foreign student to go "test" the new compound.  He head to go "taste" it.  He did and he told them, It is really really really sweet!

And sucralose was born!

What's really funny is that kid died two days later.

Let's just say there is a reason you shouldn't want to drink methyl alcohol, or have formaldehyde in your body before the undertaker comes to juice you up.  Brain cancer rose by hundreds of percent in the years following the introduction of aspartame.  Coincidence?  I doubt it.  Sure you drink a couple of diet sodas a day even then maybe you feel ok long term.  But you do like some do and drink a twelve pack cause you really want to lose weight and all bets are off.  With temperature in the cans the breakdown to "ass"partame constituents isn't a healthy thing at all.  Part of the sickness in Iraq was from Diet Coke stored at 100+F.  Not good.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #18032439 - 03/30/13 10:58 AM (11 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Quote:

Cannashroom said:

And sucralose was born!

Let's just say there is a reason you shouldn't want to drink methyl alcohol, or have formaldehyde in your body before the undertaker comes to juice you up.  Brain cancer rose by hundreds of percent in the years following the introduction of aspartame.  Coincidence?  I doubt it.  Sure you drink a couple of diet sodas a day even then maybe you feel ok long term.  But you do like some do and drink a twelve pack cause you really want to lose weight and all bets are off.  With temperature in the cans the breakdown to "ass"partame constituents isn't a healthy thing at all.  Part of the sickness in Iraq was from Diet Coke stored at 100+F.  Not good.

I heard about the sicknesses in Iraq from soldiers drinking diet soda that had sat in 120 degree temps. 

I think its addictive as well.  I think it is no accident that Michael J. Fox, the spokesman for Diet Pepsi and a heavy user as well, developed early onset parkinson's disease.

link
The mainstream medical establishment apparently does not know the cause of Parkinson's disease, but it has been linked with heavy metal exposure, excitotoxins, and toxins.  N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors in the brain are responsible for the excitotoxicity associated with Parkinson's disease.  Aspartate is one of the main components that is released when aspartame is metabolized, and it directly effects the NMDA receptors.  Therefore, regular intake of aspartame will cause damage to those receptors, and can eventually lead to Parkinson's disease.

Monosodium glutamate and other forms of free glutamic acid are also excitotoxins.  Both aspartame and MSG also affect the glutamate receptors.  Pharmaceutical companies are now coming out with more "glutamate blockers" as well.

"A number of experimental drugs are being investigated for Parkinsons disease because they block the actions of glutamate, an amino acid that is a particularly potent nerve cell killer. Some of these drugs block a receptor group to glutamate called N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA). Investigative NMDA antagonists include remacemide, memantine, riluzole, and budipine."
-- (About.com, 3/12/06): http://adam.about.com/reports/000051_7.htm)

"The excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate plays an important part in the development of neurodegenerative diseases like dementia. About 70 % of all excitatory synapses in the central nervous system are stimulated by the neurotransmitter glutamate. Dysfunction of glutamatergic neurotransmission is involved in pathomechanism of neurodegenerative dementia. The excitatory effect of chronically released glutamate effects the degeneration of cortical and subcortical neurons, thus leading to the occurrence of dementia symptoms."

-- (Merz, 3/12/06: http://www.memantine.com/en/mode_of_action/)

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#18033016 - 03/30/13 01:22 PM (11 years, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:
Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Quote:

Cannashroom said:

And sucralose was born!

I heard about the sicknesses in Iraq from soldiers drinking diet soda that had sat in 120 degree temps. 

I think its addictive as well.  I think it is no accident that Michael J. Fox, the spokesman for Diet Pepsi and a heavy user as well, developed early onset parkinson's disease.

link
The mainstream medical establishment apparently does not know the cause of Parkinson's disease, but it has been linked with heavy metal exposure, excitotoxins, and toxins.  N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors in the brain are responsible for the excitotoxicity associated with Parkinson's disease.  Aspartate is one of the main components that is released when aspartame is metabolized, and it directly effects the NMDA receptors.  Therefore, regular intake of aspartame will cause damage to those receptors, and can eventually lead to Parkinson's disease.

Monosodium glutamate and other forms of free glutamic acid are also excitotoxins.  Both aspartame and MSG also affect the glutamate receptors.  Pharmaceutical companies are now coming out with more "glutamate blockers" as well.

"A number of experimental drugs are being investigated for Parkinsons disease because they block the actions of glutamate, an amino acid that is a particularly potent nerve cell killer. Some of these drugs block a receptor group to glutamate called N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA). Investigative NMDA antagonists include remacemide, memantine, riluzole, and budipine."

"The excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate plays an important part in the development of neurodegenerative diseases like dementia. About 70 % of all excitatory synapses in the central nervous system are stimulated by the neurotransmitter glutamate. Dysfunction of glutamatergic neurotransmission is involved in pathomechanism of neurodegenerative dementia. The excitatory effect of chronically released glutamate effects the degeneration of cortical and subcortical neurons, thus leading to the occurrence of dementia symptoms."

It's interesting that MSG isn't really a flavor per se.  Sure maybe it's a bit salty, but what it does is to enhance other flavors, typically savory flavors of all kind.  I wonder if it fakes out your taste buds and makes you think you are eating a really tasty steak when you are just getting the MSG excitotoxin effect.  I mean people get agitated and excited by this stuff.  This is known that it can make people anxious.  Well there's a reason.  It's fucking with your brain chemistry.

--------------------

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

#18033832 - 03/30/13 04:39 PM (11 years, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:
I think its addictive as well. 

I think the sun revolves around the earth. Doesn't make it true.

Quote:

I think it is no accident that Michael J. Fox, the spokesman for Diet Pepsi and a heavy user as well, developed early onset parkinson's disease.

Correlation is not causation. Science doesn't work because of coincidences.

Quote:

N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors in the brain are responsible for the excitotoxicity associated with Parkinson's disease.  Aspartate is one of the main components that is released when aspartame is metabolized, and it directly effects the NMDA receptors.  Therefore, regular intake of aspartame will cause damage to those receptors, and can eventually lead to Parkinson's disease.

Aspartic acid (aspartate) is one of the three components metabolized from aspartame. Aspartic acid is an extremely important compound in the body for DNA and urea synthesis, and as a brain neurotransmitter. It is produced by the brain whenever needed and it's levels are regulated by the body - if there is too much it converts what it doesn't need to fumarate. As well, aspartic acid is a part of all proteins. If what was inferred in the above was true, everyone would have parkinson's disease. I hate dishonest science such as what you linked to here and posted.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Cyclohexylamine]
    #18033874 - 03/30/13 04:52 PM (11 years, 19 hours ago)

This is the thing that I think could be detrimental to health with all low caloric sweeteners 
Quote:

Cannashroom said: The take home message is that the sugar receptors on your tongue start a regulatory cascade for the processing of sugar.  Now different sugar-like molecules all signal these pathways in some way, but don't provide the sugar.  It confuses the body and they were trying to design better sweeteners based on this research.

Not gonna stop me from using them, but I won't be surprised if they find some or all sweeteners that are low calorie fuck with some people and increase their vulnerability to some nasty debilitating shit.

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #18034626 - 03/30/13 08:10 PM (11 years, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Quote:

HippieChick8 said:
Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Quote:

Cannashroom said:

And sucralose was born!

link

It's interesting that MSG isn't really a flavor per se.  Sure maybe it's a bit salty, but what it does is to enhance other flavors, typically savory flavors of all kind.  I wonder if it fakes out your taste buds and makes you think you are eating a really tasty steak when you are just getting the MSG excitotoxin effect.  I mean people get agitated and excited by this stuff.  This is known that it can make people anxious.  Well there's a reason.  It's fucking with your brain chemistry.

It is a flavor, Umami.

Your tongue has sugar receptors for sweet.  Sodium receptors for salt, H+ receptors for Acid, Bitter receptors, and Glutamate (Umami) receptors.  Meat has lots of glutamate hence the taste like meat.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#18036359 - 03/31/13 07:00 AM (11 years, 5 hours ago)

MSG gets sensed by your taste buds.  It is a flavor enhancer of other flavors, and this is largely why it is used.  There is a distinction in this case between adding a spice such as black pepper for purely flavor, versus adding MSG that makes your taste buds think that hamburger helper really tasted good when it really wouldn't have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

As to the argument that it is good for you therefore more is always better, aspartate in the brain in high amounts is not good.  It goes right through the blood brain barrier and excitoxins your brain.  Methyl alcohol is NEVER good and absolutely will cause blindness in large enough amounts and visual issues long before that.  Why hasn't anyone touched on the formaldehyde that aspartame also breaks down into?  Embalming fluid main component...

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#18036386 - 03/31/13 07:18 AM (11 years, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

I think the sun revolves around the earth. Doesn't make it true.

Actually it sort of does. If you have binary stars of equal mass, which one revolves around the other? What if one star 's mass is 1% greater than the other? What if the mass is 50% greater? 90% greater?

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#18036430 - 03/31/13 07:41 AM (11 years, 4 hours ago)

Sweet Misery

--------------------

OfflineNotTheDevil
Transhuman

Loc: US Flag
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: LunarEclipse] * 1
    #18042053 - 04/01/13 11:55 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

For the point that brain cancer rate increased after introduction of aspartame, correlation does not equal causation as an example here's a chart showing the correlation between organic food and autism

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
    #18042085 - 04/01/13 12:09 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I remember hearing about another artificial sweetener/soda that was banned years ago due to shitty scientific methods.  They loaded rats up with soda til they died and said "see the rats are dropping left and right from this deadly sweetener."  When the studies were reexamined, it turns out the rats actually died from water toxicity.

Offlinefractalpancakes
Golden Teacher
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #18042120 - 04/01/13 12:18 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Great. Now I have leukemia. Thanks coca cola.

--------------------

"everything that ever happened is just things that happened"
-actual quote from Sheekle

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: fractalpancakes]
    #18046651 - 04/02/13 01:50 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

the1sttofall said:

:facepalm:

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
MSG gets sensed by your taste buds.  It is a flavor enhancer of other flavors, and this is largely why it is used.  There is a distinction in this case between adding a spice such as black pepper for purely flavor, versus adding MSG that makes your taste buds think that hamburger helper really tasted good when it really wouldn't have.

Technically all spices are "flavor enhancers". MSG is a source of umami (it's one of the five basic tastes, the others being salty, sweet, bitter, and sour) - umami is "savory" and is the reason why cooked tomatoes add a savory-ness to dishes, or Parmesan cheese, or wine, or broccoli, etc. MSG doesn't "fool your taste buds" anymore than spices do.

Quote:

As to the argument that it is good for you therefore more is always better, aspartate in the brain in high amounts is not good.  It goes right through the blood brain barrier and excitoxins your brain.  Methyl alcohol is NEVER good and absolutely will cause blindness in large enough amounts and visual issues long before that.  Why hasn't anyone touched on the formaldehyde that aspartame also breaks down into?  Embalming fluid main component...

Aspartatic acid is regulated by the body - excess will be converted into fumarate - I covered that here. Besides, no one is talking about excess - ingesting anything in excess can be harmful including water.
The methanol metabolized from aspartame (which is then converted into formaldehyde and then formic acid) is in such small quantities that it's harmless, and is MUCH less than the methanol produced from fruits. But it's funny - I always see people screaming about the formaldehyde from aspartame, yet enjoy eating fruit.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#18047124 - 04/02/13 03:13 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
Quote:

the1sttofall said:

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:

Technically all spices are "flavor enhancers". MSG is a source of umami (it's one of the five basic tastes, the others being salty, sweet, bitter, and sour) - umami is "savory" and is the reason why cooked tomatoes add a savory-ness to dishes, or Parmesan cheese, or wine, or broccoli, etc. MSG doesn't "fool your taste buds" anymore than spices do.

Quote:

Aspartatic acid is regulated by the body - excess will be converted into fumarate - I covered that here. Besides, no one is talking about excess - ingesting anything in excess can be harmful including water.
The methanol metabolized from aspartame (which is then converted into formaldehyde and then formic acid) is in such small quantities that it's harmless, and is MUCH less than the methanol produced from fruits. But it's funny - I always see people screaming about the formaldehyde from aspartame, yet enjoy eating fruit.

Buddy, I worked for a flavor lab and majored in food science.  Sold pectin and other gums.  The methanol in fruit is bound up by the pectin and not metabolized.  Therefore harmlessly shit out.  Unlike the methyl ester group in aspartame that is fully available.  So your methanol argument as relates to fruit vs. aspartame is completely full of shit.  As to "a little formaldehyde is OK" what according to you?  Further, it's a CUMULATIVE effect.

You seem unable to distinguish between tastes and flavors.  Do you really want to get into what makes flavor enhancers flavor enhancers?

Edited by LunarEclipse (04/02/13 03:17 PM)

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

#18047240 - 04/02/13 03:37 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Buddy, I worked for a flavor lab and majored in food science.  Sold pectin and other gums.

Fallacy - Appeal to Authority.
P.S. you evidently didn't study very hard.

Quote:

The methanol in fruit is bound up by the pectin and not metabolized.  Therefore harmlessly shit out.  Unlike the methyl ester group in aspartame that is fully available.  So your methanol argument as relates to fruit vs. aspartame is completely full of shit.  As to "a little formaldehyde is OK" what according to you?  Further, it's a CUMULATIVE effect.

You are wrong. Pectins are metabolized by your body (fecal bacteria) into methanol.
Formaldehyde is converted to formic acid which has a long half life but it's not that long. (I think 68 hours).
So yes, a little formaldehyde is perfectly fine for you.

Quote:

You seem unable to distinguish between tastes and flavors.  Do you really want to get into what makes flavor enhancers flavor enhancers?

Umami is one of the 5 basic tastes... and I would love to hear what you have to say so please enlighten me.. :lol:

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#18047687 - 04/02/13 04:47 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
Buddy, I worked for a flavor lab and majored in food science.  Sold pectin and other gums.

Fallacy - Appeal to Authority.
P.S. you evidently didn't study very hard.

Quote:

The methanol in fruit is bound up by the pectin and not metabolized.  Therefore harmlessly shit out.  Unlike the methyl ester group in aspartame that is fully available.  So your methanol argument as relates to fruit vs. aspartame is completely full of shit.  As to "a little formaldehyde is OK" what according to you?  Further, it's a CUMULATIVE effect.

You are wrong. Pectins are metabolized by your body (fecal bacteria) into methanol.
Formaldehyde is converted to formic acid which has a long half life but it's not that long. (I think 68 hours).
So yes, a little formaldehyde is perfectly fine for you.

Quote:

Umami is one of the 5 basic tastes... and I would love to hear what you have to say so please enlighten me.. :lol:

First a little extra aspartic acid is OK "according to you".  The "a little formaldehyde is perfectly fine for you" once again according to you.  Perfectly.  Not just a little fine, but perfectly.

MSG is a flavor enhancer.  There is a distinction between that and even your basic tastes.  You seem to want to lump MSG into the flavor category, which while it is a taste, and a flavor enhancer, it is technically not a flavor.

Fruit has methyl groups bound by pectin.  I'm not sure what .gov bs you have linked me too but to say fruit has the same methanol wood alcohol effect in the body that aspartame creates is BULLSHIT.  Sorry once again.  You are full of it.

--------------------

Invisiblenurazz
nurazz
Male

#18053228 - 04/03/13 04:16 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Real milk will soon be legal again so don't worry.

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Loc: magic sugarcastle
Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: nurazz]
    #18053371 - 04/03/13 04:40 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I'm drinking a can of diet soda right now. :sip:

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #18053415 - 04/03/13 04:48 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Penelope_Tree said:

:highfive:

--------------------

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

#18053449 - 04/03/13 04:54 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:sunspots:

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Penelope_Tree]
    #18053707 - 04/03/13 05:47 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Penelope_Tree said:

That's just sad gf.  :aliceshocker::whacker:

--------------------

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Re: Aspartame Linked to Leukemia & Lymphoma in Groundbreaking Study [Re: Icelander]
    #18053738 - 04/03/13 05:52 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I just repeatedly stuck my entire head inside the stove, breathing in mouthfuls of smoke. It's a game to see which kills me quicker: aspartame or the myriad of other things.

Disclaimer: I held my breath as long as I could. I can't wait for the cold weather to go away. :sad::mad2:

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#18053755 - 04/03/13 05:54 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quick send me some more of those pics before you do anything rash. :jennajameson:

I will so miss you when you're gone.  :pantytail: :hissyfit:

I just repeatedly stuck my entire head inside the stove,

You are a very strange girl.  It must be why I like you so.

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (04/03/13 05:55 PM)

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

#18053886 - 04/03/13 06:16 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

:loveintheair:

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#18053916 - 04/03/13 06:22 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Why do you torment me so?

--------------------

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

#18053964 - 04/03/13 06:32 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Some people just want to watch the world burn. :satansmoking:

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#18054488 - 04/03/13 08:06 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

I even have a fiddle. :satansmoking:

--------------------

OfflineHippieChick8
seeker of justice
Female

#18060064 - 04/04/13 09:36 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
Quote:

the1sttofall said:

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:

Quote:

How do you know that excess aspartic acid is always converted to fumarate?  Some people have genetic polymorphisms that prevent them from breaking down toxins efficiently.

Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, published a book (Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills) thoroughly detailing the damage that is caused by the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame. Blaylock makes use of almost 500 scientific references to show how excess free excitatory amino acids such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid (about 99 percent of monosodium glutamate (MSG) is glutamic acid) in our food supply are causing serious chronic neurological disorders and a myriad of other acute symptoms.

If you're going to ask for scientific studies or at least imply that one should argue with scientific studies, it makes no sense to turn around and say, "that's an appeal to authority" when a scientist's name is mentioned. 

Tomatoes and parmesan cheese have BOUND glutamic acid that the human body can SLOWLY digest.  MSG contains FREE glutamic acid due to synthesis in a laboratory using high temperatures. Free glutamic acid can quickly over excite the brain cells.

So what if MSG tastes like "umami" and aspartame tastes sweet?  Ethylene glycol tastes sweet also.  That doen't mean it's not toxic.

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

#18061253 - 04/05/13 06:22 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick8 said:

How do you know that excess aspartic acid is always converted to fumarate?  Some people have genetic polymorphisms that prevent them from breaking down toxins efficiently.

Aspartic acid isn't a toxin. It is required by the brain for proper functioning. As such it is tightly regulated by the brain to make sure there isn't too much or too little. We know this from our study of how the brain works. Aspartic acid is a non-essential amino acid and is a part of ALL proteins. It is NOT only from aspartame, and if someone wasn't able to properly process it aspartame would be the least of their worries.

Quote:

Dr. Russell L. Blaylock, a professor of neurosurgery at the Medical University of Mississippi, published a book (Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills) thoroughly detailing the damage that is caused by the ingestion of excessive aspartic acid from aspartame. Blaylock makes use of almost 500 scientific references to show how excess free excitatory amino acids such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid (about 99 percent of monosodium glutamate (MSG) is glutamic acid) in our food supply are causing serious chronic neurological disorders and a myriad of other acute symptoms.

Russel Blaylock was a professor of neurosurgery, but not anymore. He went kind of crazy and has made all sorts of claims about many things including aspartame with faulty science or no science to back up what he was trying to say. But you can buy his supplements for only 79.97 to counteract the evil things he identifies in his newsletters!!

Quote:

If you're going to ask for scientific studies or at least imply that one should argue with scientific studies, it makes no sense to turn around and say, "that's an appeal to authority" when a scientist's name is mentioned. 

I didn't say it was an appeal to authority - if you can find me peer reviewed studies of what you are trying to claim then by all means link to them and who the authors are.

Quote:

Free glutamic acid can quickly over excite the brain cells.

Proove it - because that's wrong - glutamate just like aspartatic acid is required by the brain and is tightly regulated to prevent overexitation.

Quote:

So what if MSG tastes like "umami" and aspartame tastes sweet?  Ethylene glycol tastes sweet also.  That doen't mean it's not toxic.

What does that have to do with anything?

--------------------

Edited by Cyclohexylamine (04/05/13 06:29 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates