Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
cyan growlog update - jars at 80-90% [Re: Paid]
    #1792895 - 08/08/03 04:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

(yawn) update:

this is the shittiest of about 3 cyan logs going now. mine are gonna come last  :confused: (and they may even be 'contamned' with cubensis by many accounts :tongue:)

anyway - on they plod. i markered around the pink spots, which seem to have been contained. there may have been a few temp fluctuations to explain the growth spurt lines.

>>>>>>>>2 from 24 june inoc>>>>>>>

>>and three from 3 jul innoc>>>>

slowly slowly catchee monkey, i hopeee   

--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: pan cyan growlog [Re: shirley knott]
    #1802322 - 08/11/03 03:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Those are some questionable jars of spawn.

In the future I would use less substrate in each jar, half of what you have there.

With those jars I wouldn't spawn STERILE/Pasteurized substrate. I would sandwich the colonized substrate between a bottom layer of bagged soil and then some bagged cow manure then the spawn then a layer of bagged manure then some more bagged soil on top. Keep it in the open air, not in a fruiting chamber, and keep the top layer moist. Use thin layers of manure/ soil, and a thick layer of spawn!!!

This technique woks well with questionable spawn(contamination). Won't produce enormous flushes, but it is better then potentially spawning alot of manure with contamination.

The Birdseed should produce some mushrooms all on it's own, if you want to omit the manure. Just sandwich between two layers of good potting soil, and keep moist, not wet!!

The key is open air, and non-sterile casing materials.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pan cyan growlog [Re: ]
    #1802343 - 08/11/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thank you, Teonan! :loveeyes: I have long been an admirer of your work, and these tips are gold dust to me. I do not have any 'bagged' manure, just a few kilos of dried out horse dung. i was intrigued by your advice to grow in the open rather than in a chamber, but will be following your advice as closely as i can.

it's a pretty disappointing project so far, but i'm enjoying it as much as ever. even a failed attempt (and it's not over til the fat lady sings) teaches many new lessons.

uh-oh. why is that fat lady getting that microphone out? :shake:

sk :lol: 

--------------------
buh

Anonymous

#1802425 - 08/11/03 04:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

That will work. The IMPORTANT THING is to not paseurize/sterilize the stuff first. And fruit it in the open air, just misting to rehydrate the surface of the casing.

Just make sure you bring the manure and the soil up to field capacity moisture content before building the layers.

I have obtained a few small fruits off of VERY contaminated spawn this way. It was better for me then just tossing the stuff. And if it really isn't to contaminated, you could get more then a few.

This method is essentially the same as dumping old casings and contaminated spawn into the garden, and getting a few fruits. Except you can use a small rubbermaid, and leave it on a table in your room!! I live in a condo, so I have no backyard garden to toss the stuff into, so I gave this a try and it worked. Just use a small enough rubbermaid so that the very top of the completed casing is almost even with the top of the rubbermaid. You don't want any stagnant air on the surface of the casing.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1805887 - 08/12/03 01:46 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Teonan explained:.....use a small rubbermaid, and leave it on a table in your room!! ............ Just use a small enough rubbermaid so that the very top of the completed casing is almost even with the top of the rubbermaid

:shocked:casing tub, up to the top, on table? no tub outside it at all?
:smile:rubbermaid is the casing tub. filled to the brim, sitting on the table ?
:laugh:and should i rig up the fishtank tubing to aim at it like a little waterfall, for continuous air exchange?

have i got this right? please explain one more time for this thicko, who is caught up in the concepts i have used in the past! :confused:

sk :tongue:  (hopefully the cats wouldn't try to use it as a toilet! )     

--------------------
buh

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
    #1806018 - 08/12/03 02:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

>hopefully the cats wouldn't try to use it as a toilet!

nothing wrong with some extra substrate :wink:

Erik006

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

Anonymous

#1806479 - 08/12/03 04:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Casing tub 4 Quart.
No tub surrounding it.

Bottom layer of non-sterile bagged potting soil.
Layer of spawn on top of that.
Layer of manure on top of that.(non sterile) and very thin. Optional.
Layer of non-sterile bagged potting soil.

All of these layers should bring you within the top 1/8 inch of the surface of the 4 quart tub. All layers should be at the proper moisture content.

You want no HIGH humidity environmnet at the surface of the soil, other then misting manually with a spray bottle, and only when it appears to be getting dry. Essentially you are replacing the moisture of the top casing soil only.

If you were to surround this in another rubbermaid, you would create an environmnet that favors CONTAMINATION. Remember that the NORMAL methods of fruiting in clean substrates is EXCLUSIONARY. There are no contaminants present. If there are, that is why they spread so rapidly.

Pins are not going to be forming at the surface of the casing with the salvage method, they will be coming from beneath the soil surface, and braking through the top. So manintaing absolute ideal conditions at the surface of the casing is counter productive. Ideal conditions will favor contaminants, not mushrooms at the surface layer.

Yes if you have cats they might mistake it for a toilet, so EXCLUDE them from the room!!!

When building the layers, make sure your spawn layer is completely surrounded on all sides by the casing layers. I.E, don't lay the spawn out so it's layer reaches the sides of the rubbermaid. Similar to adding alittle more substrate after spawning a bulk casing to the surface to not have any of the spawn exposed, post innoculation, prior to colonization.

This was just a suggestion, that has worked for me in similar situations.
Situatins were I did not feel comfortable with the appearance of jars of spawn, and did not want to toss the spawn that I had no duplicates prepared.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
    #1806571 - 08/12/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thank you teonan for taking the time to write this. it is greatly appreciated.  :heartpump:

if you ever need anything in return that i can help with, i'll be sure to pitch in (obviously it won't be to do with mushroom cultivation!). you may pick up on my strange and pitiful areas of knowledge in the occasional post - pm any specific queries, and i'll trade wisdom for wisdom! i owe you one.

knowledge is power! :laugh:   

--------------------
buh

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1813164 - 08/14/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This thread is FULL of great information.  :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks guys.  (seeing visions of future pan cyans) 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pan cyan growlog [Re: dog]
    #1845663 - 08/24/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

well, in case anyone wondered, the update situation isn't good  :frown: that fat lady showed up, and she can really hit the high notes.

i followed teodude's advice and did a nonsterile spawning today, exactly as advised. the spawn smelt musty (and worse) towards the bottom. a black paint tub is now sitting atop the fridge, out of the cats' way. i don't hold much hope for it....perhaps some contams will race each other to be the first to feast on the corpse...

ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc etc etc..... :confused: 

edit: p.s. (just in case  :wink: :confused: :crazy:) >

--------------------
buh

Edited by shirley knott (08/25/03 10:08 AM)

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1846011 - 08/24/03 05:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that sucks to hear, hopefully something will come out of it.  use the experience and start another one :grin: 

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: pan cyan growlog [Re: houshroom]
    #1846147 - 08/24/03 06:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, don't be down Shirl!  Those pans are more difficult than cubes.  Definately give it another shot, and keep your head up.  Your doing great! :smile:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate