Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Male User Gallery
whats next?
    #1802023 - 08/11/03 04:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a bag with 2 anda half pints BRF/verm substrate that is 90% colonized, except in 3 dime sized spots that are contammed with some kind of black mold or something. I guess my only option here is outdoor? Or would casing it(contam and all) work? I figure if I just got a bag of cow manure from the store, mixed up a little in a spot outside, it would have a chance. Any imput is Greatly aprietiated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: whats next? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1802215 - 08/11/03 05:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

prolly belongs in contam forum.

dime sized mold spots will keep the rest of the cake from fruiting becuse all the cellular energy gets used trying to fight off the competitor fungi.

there are three schools of thought about what to do and i will advise you to proceed in the order of your choice

the first school says to throw the contamned cakes out alltogether, possibly bury them outdoors . there is little hope of success here, you are at the mercy of God on this.

the second school says to birth the cakes, dig out the areas of contamination with a spoon, and spray the wound site with 9 to 1 solution of H2O2. place the cakes either back into fresh clean jars for about two days in hopes they recover, or place them into a terrarium.

the third school is brand new, is thanks in large part to a shroomerite whos handle is hippie. essentially one takes a syringe and fills it with bleach. the bleach is injected directly into the mold sites while the cake is still in the jar. you may need to work it in with the tip of the needle, cuz some molds are specially adapted to keep their spores from getting wet. you may need to let the spot lay on the bottom with the jar on its side. only a few drops are needed. results can be verified within minutes! the mold will lose it's color and die. repeat as needed. you may need to keep the lid loose to vent nasty gasses. give the cakes a few days to recover, then birth, removing the damaged areas with a spoon, make sure it's all dead. repeat bleach treatment as needed, but no need to return cakes to the jar. do a search on bleach dunking.

as you can see, there isn't one that says it would be a good idea to crumble a moldy cake up into a tray, as this would likely fail, and would likely spred mold spores all over your grow lab.

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: whats next? [Re: tchyted]
    #1804285 - 08/12/03 03:10 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think the first idea is best. Often people will attempt to salvage cakes, and it works sometimes. Once you have a regular crop going, it is easier to dispose of contaminated cakes.

I wouldn't want to risk birthing the once contaminated cake with others, so if you have the space to isolate it and you care about one or two cakes, then do what you can to salvage it.

Re: whats next? [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #1805410 - 08/12/03 02:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

My opinion on this subject is straightforward: contaminated cakes/jars use up space and present extra contam risks for clean cultures. Tuck 'em out.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation