Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Recent Gore speech [Re: FileSoup]
    #1801809 - 08/11/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't play favourites, I try and get my news from all over the world, that's what I call balanced.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Recent Gore speech [Re: Edame]
    #1801813 - 08/11/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Edame said:
That's where our differing value systems come into play. Would you bomb a packed schoolyard if you thought Saddam was in there?

Saddam may be a 'bad man', but I don't see how it makes any of us better if we have the same disregard for Iraqi lives.

If you could save the lives of thousands by bombing that school yard? Hell yes it's a legitimate target.

You aren't suggesting the life of someone in their 30's, 40's, or older is less valuable are you?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Recent Gore speech [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1801815 - 08/11/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think that possibly the dead Iraqi civilans might have disagreed with you calling them "fair game" just because there was a possibility that Saddam was there.

Do people's lives become forfeit just because the US military says so? Is that how we spread our messsage of freedom and justice to the world? I would disagree, but that's the great thing about opinions.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1801822 - 08/11/03 01:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You aren't suggesting the life of someone in their 30's, 40's, or older is less valuable are you?

You're quite right, I'm suggesting no such thing, just citing an example. I could have used a theatre or Mosque or any number of public places.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1801832 - 08/11/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I think that possibly the dead Iraqi civilans might have disagreed with you calling them "fair game" just because there was a possibility that Saddam was there.

I'm sure they would, as would I. That doesn't change the fact that under the circumstances, they bombed a legitimate target.

Quote:

Do people's lives become forfeit just because the US military says so?

Of course not. That's the breaks in a war zone though.

Quote:

Is that how we spread our messsage of freedom and justice to the world?

No, but I don't imagine many would bitch if it were them doing the bombing. It's always easier to bitch when it's someone else you're bitching about.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1801851 - 08/11/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well this bombing is partially being done in my name, seeing as the UK is Bush's main partner in this 'coalition of the willing'. I have every right to bitch when I didn't want this war in the first place. Looking at world opinion, I'm sure I'm not on my own either.

--------------------

OfflineFileSoup
    #1801856 - 08/11/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What is with the name calling? I haven't called you any names. I have only posted how I feel on these issues.

- You didn't answer my questions. Why is Fox News unbalanced? And what do you consider to be the most balanced news network?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1801867 - 08/11/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry? Did you somehow see in my post that I felt you didn't have the right to bitch? Or that the bombing was praised world over?

My point was, in a war-time situation, most targets are fair game.

Back to the original question that got us here....
Are you able to show systematic and deliberate bombings of civilian targets?

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1801928 - 08/11/03 01:51 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry? Did you somehow see in my post that I felt you didn't have the right to bitch? Or that the bombing was praised world over?

No, but I think that you used the word 'bitch' to give my viewpoint a negative spin, so I felt justified in voicing that I feel that it's fine for me to 'bitch' if I want to. I also made no mention of the bombing being praised the world over, just that I'm not the only one who feels that not everyone is 'fair game' just because the military says so.

You yourself pretty much just argued that any civilian target that the US considers 'fair game' is justified, so what's to argue? Nothing I say is likely change your view in that matter, no matter how many examples I might dig up. I see it as a fundamental difference in how we each view the value of life.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1801959 - 08/11/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I apologise if I offended you, but I just happen to think that you might be another forum member under a different name.

I did answer your question, I don't have an opinion on what network is the 'most balanced' because I don't play favourites, I get my news from all kinds of sources and then process as neccessary. To me, picking a favourite is a form of bias, and I don't feel any kind of bias towards any particular source.
I don't particularly find FOX 'balanced' at all, especially when they have people like Bill O' Reilly (sp?) regularly telling his guests to "shut up" or taking their mike away whenever they say something he doesn't like.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1801962 - 08/11/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The point is there is no evidence of the military targeting civillians just for the sake of targeting civillians. There is however evidence of the exact opposite.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Re: Recent Gore speech [Re: shakta]
    #1801968 - 08/11/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't say that they target civilians just for the hell of it, just that they do knowingly target them (which the military, and you, can justify but I can't).

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1801970 - 08/11/03 02:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

O'Reilly hardly ever does that. The thing you need to look at is their new coverage, compared to news analysis. O'Reilly is an analyst. In the same way that Larry King is. Neither are news reporters. They both give their opinion on the news. Fox's news coverage seems to be very fair. They don't have the liberal bias that can be seen elsewhere. I think you just need to seperate the news from the analysis.

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1801979 - 08/11/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The only people I ever hear complaining about 'liberal bias' are people who would generally be classified as leaning to the right of the political spectrum. In fact I only hear about 'liberal bias' from Americans, because many of them seem to me to have this obsession with this constant left-right mudslinging contest.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1801983 - 08/11/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Why would a liberal complain about a liberal bias? Anyway, we don't need to go down this road again. Back on topic. :smile:

Offlinefoghorn
enthusiast
    #1801986 - 08/11/03 02:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

When the government began to regulate drug prices companies starting failing. Why? Because it costs hundreds millions of dollars to make and successfully market a major prescription drug. When prices are regulated companies no longer have an incentive to make the drugs if they will not make the profits. Regulation of markets clearly does not work.

i cant believe how wrong you are in that statement file - you believe that regulation discourages development? in my books, it is quite the opposite

you stated that regulation discouraged innovation in the canadian market- but in actuallity regulated prices ARE the incentive for drug companies to develop and research new drugs - if the market is unregulated everybody would just be releasing 'generic' brands of drugs that are already developed, saving millions, while making millions, off other drug companies that spend tons of time and energy researching/developing.

so if everybody just leeches off the people who spend money on r&d (in a unregulated market), who is going to want to do any r&d? regulation in the canadian pharmaceutical industry is what keeps our drugs competatitve, and our r&d relevent

*didnt realize so much had gone on since i typed the reply,sorry its so out of place

Edited by foghorn (08/11/03 02:09 PM)

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1802005 - 08/11/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You brought it up, but it doesn't mean anything to me anyway, I don't like either label.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1802197 - 08/11/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

No, but I think that you used the word 'bitch' to give my viewpoint a negative spin, so I felt justified in voicing that I feel that it's fine for me to 'bitch' if I want to.

Then we'll chalk this up to being from different countries as here in the states.... to bitch = to complain. We bitch about taxes... we bitch about poor service.... etc.

Quote:

also made no mention of the bombing being praised the world over, just that I'm not the only one who feels that not everyone is 'fair game' just because the military says so.

I'd say your sentence about looking at world opinion is just about the opposite of me using the word praise.

Quote:

Nothing I say is likely change your view in that matter, no matter how many examples I might dig up.

So in other words.... no. You can't. You could have just said so.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1802239 - 08/11/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No, in other words, I'm unlikely to find any example that you can't argue as being justified in some way or another. It's not the same as not being able to find those examples, it's just fruitless to post any more because neither of us will change our opinion.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1802259 - 08/11/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sure.... sure.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom