Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
hitting a road block regarding judgement
    #1800851 - 08/11/03 08:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've been having problem as of late. my newest revelation has led me to start thinking about judgement and reflect on reasons why I judge. I have noticed how my ego loves to think that I "know" more than others when this is obviously not the case. It's like I don't want to think that I'm better than others and that I "need" to assert my opinions on everyone else. While I have limited my judgement considerably (since I see things in a new light), I have hit a road block. I mean for the most part, I have been successful but I always seem to slip back into my egotistical ways. It's been very difficult and I was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestion and/or tips.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: hitting a road block regarding judgement [Re: kaiowas]
    #1800857 - 08/11/03 08:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

remember that people arent less than you, theyre in a different place.

and thats just fine.

no ones higher or lower. we're all just here and there.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: hitting a road block regarding judgement [Re: ]
    #1800962 - 08/11/03 09:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I struggled with that alot myself, Kaiowas.
It's a nasty habit.

Whenever you think your judgements are getting out of control, just keep asking yourself what is really taking place here. You're making no attempt to actually understand the person, but instead feeding your desire to think you already know him or her.

This makes you feel more solid and stable in your position with less the effort. A good time-saver, now you will have more time for golf and clarinet lessons.

haha j/k... Just keep making the effort you are and you'll get over it eventually.

OfflineWaveRider
In search ofWisdom

Loc: CANADA
    #1801203 - 08/11/03 12:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have struggled with the same issue for a while but my habit will not die with ease. I have always felt myself superior to others (when young I was learning chemistry and biology instead of playing with the other kids). So far, though, I have received nothing but praise and motivation to remain a egotistic bitch. Though I find myself constantly reannalysing my own behaviour, when others are in the room I tend to fall back into the "I know best, just listen to all I learned" mentality. I guess that the best thing to do is to try to listen to what people say, instead of waiting my turn to talk.

--------------------
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer, the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it is gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path."

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: hitting a road block regarding judgement [Re: WaveRider]
    #1801213 - 08/11/03 12:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The ego is always reaching for more and more, you can break it in half, shattered to pieces, and it will always start to reassemble itself.. keeping it down takes a lot of effort along the way.
And, you are on the way, I might add.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1801218 - 08/11/03 12:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It's been very difficult and I was wondering if anyone can give me some suggestion and/or tips.

Reflect on some REALLY horrid decisions that you made; some total fuck-ups. Now don't go feeling all guilty about them, just think about how you would view others that did similar boneheaded things and realize that we are all making errors and learning.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: hitting a road block regarding judgement [Re: Swami]
    #1801335 - 08/11/03 01:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
just think about how you would view others that did similar boneheaded things and realize that we are all making errors and learning.

Yes, we are all imperfect. Don't dwell on your mistakes, either, just keep going, keep pushing, never give up. Judging someone is deciding they are a certain way, setting it in stone, and this is bullshit. They may have been having a bad day, we all have bad and good sides, and you may even be right.

However, we all change, and someone holding an idea that the person is a certain way only helps tie them down in that position. Just as you shouldn't really judge someone, label them, only watching what they do and say, and holding it in your mind, you shouldn't be as cruel on yourself, either.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: hitting a road block regarding judgement [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1803102 - 08/11/03 09:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

"Whenever you think your judgements are getting out of control, just keep asking yourself what is really taking place here. You're making no attempt to actually understand the person, but instead feeding your desire to think you already know him or her."

ok now that makes total sense and I realize that has been a BIG part of why I judge. It's very subtle though. So when a person acts a certain way I shouldn't htink any more or less of him/her because nearly everyday is a different one. Shit happens and say if I see my friend throwing a fit, I shouldn't think he's totally nuts, but rather understand what's going on so then I could help. did I understand most of that correctly?

so I should be focused more on learning about the person than sitting back and thinking I "know" what's going on??

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology