Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Coir, Gypsum, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < First | < Back | 988 | 989 | 990 | 991 | 992 | 993 | 994 | 995 | 996 | 997 | 998 | 999 | 1000 | 1001 | 1002 | 1003 | 1004 | 1005 | 1006 | 1007 | 1008 | Next >
OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: athos56]
    #26857821 - 08/01/20 10:42 PM (10 days, 10 hours ago)

Hey y'all sorry if this is an annoying question but is there a good cactus growing guide? I just want to make sure I don't fuck up and kill my little penis plant

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLeningradCowboy
Yes, my name is you?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Siperia underground
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: Gastronomicus] * 1
    #26858169 - 08/02/20 06:50 AM (10 days, 2 hours ago)

https://troutsnotes.com/pdf/C2_CactusCultivation.pdf

Posted this on the 1006 page all so:lol:

--------------------
From tundra with love!

OfflineGlazedHazels
Reality Outran Apprehension

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: LeningradCowboy] * 1
    #26863537 - 08/04/20 11:58 PM (7 days, 9 hours ago)

I got a 6 inch Ogun and I am stoked. Didn't cost more than a gun either. :laugh:

OfflineSpicy
Symbiont

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: GlazedHazels] * 2
    #26864265 - 08/05/20 12:36 PM (6 days, 20 hours ago)

I missed the opening but still pretty

--------------------
Everything has beauty, not everyone sees it.
Perfection is subjective!

InvisibletyrannicalrexS
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: GlazedHazels]
    #26864283 - 08/05/20 12:49 PM (6 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

GlazedHazels said:
I got a 6 inch Ogun and I am stoked. Didn't cost more than a gun either. :laugh:

Well!

--------------------

Watermelon man-"I think that society and just everything , it dose a good job at making people want to live some bull shit fairytale. it's mostly just so they can suck whatever out of us. The only thing they can suck is my dick." :smile:

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: LeningradCowboy]
    #26865179 - 08/05/20 07:50 PM (6 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

LeningradCowboy said:
https://troutsnotes.com/pdf/C2_CactusCultivation.pdf

Posted this on the 1006 page all so:lol:

Thanks dawg that's a great read

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #26868186 - 08/07/20 01:33 PM (4 days, 19 hours ago)

I am just getting into these plants so please forgive me noob questions but I was wondering what the advantage is of grafting. Do both pieces take on a mixture of dna in order to create a new strain like with cannabis? Or does it just make the cactus' chemicals more potent?

Also I thought I remember thinking I saw something saying it might be taboo to talk about grafting on the boards so mods feel free to delete my comment if that is the case!

--------------------
LAGM2020 LOG

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 905 Flag
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #26868224 - 08/07/20 01:56 PM (4 days, 19 hours ago)

There is no taboo about grafting but consumption related stuff becomes off topic at a certain point. I believe it's fine to discuss how cultivation techniques may affect alkaloid content.

There is no mixing of DNA when grafting. In very rare cases something called a graft chimera can form that exhibits mutant looking growth with traits from both plants. But I think those still don't involve DNA actually mixing.

Nutrients, water and hormones can cross the graft union. From what I understand, alkaloids do not cross a graft union, at least in cacti. A rootstock like Trichocereus can speed up growth of a slow growing cactus like peyote, and reduce susceptibility to overwatering because the root system is that of the Trichocereus. A peyote taproot is optimized for drought resistance rather than supplying rapid growth.

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mx Flag
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: psi]
    #26868484 - 08/07/20 04:15 PM (4 days, 16 hours ago)

I also understand that grafting trichos onto a peres will mean they have low alkaloid content, same goes for lophs, but lophs are so slow growing even grafted that I'm not sure the payoff is worth the effort even if they did maintain alkaloid content.

EDIT: Scratch that, I may be wrong:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17047609/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

Edited by ninja cat 09 (08/07/20 04:23 PM)

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #26868675 - 08/07/20 06:01 PM (4 days, 15 hours ago)

Thanks! So if all I have at the moment are different strains of trichos there seems to be no reason to graft unless I had some lophs that I wanted kick into gear?

--------------------
LAGM2020 LOG

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: CocaineBuffet] * 2
    #26868802 - 08/07/20 07:28 PM (4 days, 13 hours ago)

A spot in southern Aus

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt

Loc: 8B - Gulf Coast
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #26868894 - 08/07/20 08:38 PM (4 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

CocaineBuffet said:
I am just getting into these plants so please forgive me noob questions but I was wondering what the advantage is of grafting. Do both pieces take on a mixture of dna in order to create a new strain like with cannabis? Or does it just make the cactus' chemicals more potent?

Also I thought I remember thinking I saw something saying it might be taboo to talk about grafting on the boards so mods feel free to delete my comment if that is the case!

The biggest benefit is knocking 1-3+ years of grow time off the plant and having a resilient root stock until its time to de-graft. If you use a Pereskiopsis mother plant with a thick main stem, you can get 6-10" of Trichocereus in a single year on it from a seedling. This is a Peruvianus v. Tarma that was grafted sometime around Nov 2019 - Feb 2020. This is the power of grafting. :smile: See a seedlings at the bottom that are roughly the same age but were growing on their own roots.

As for alkaloids, there are two camps. Some say grafting grows the plant faster than it produces alkaloids, other say its the same potency when dried. I always figured the alks would keep producing along with the growth of the plant, but the article is probably clearer. I wouldn't worry about it too much since the main goal of grafting Trichocereus seedlings is to get them to adult size as fast as possible so it can be potted up, grow really big, and ultimately yield full size cuttings in a few years.

The rest of these are my usual random photo-dump.
1. Trichocereus Bridgesii of some type, I think its Trichocereus Moses, grafted to a chunk of Geometrizans. MyrtillioCactus Geometrizans is an absolute beast-mode grafting stock if you can get your hands on a big plant. A good limb can weigh 20-30lbs and is pretty tolerant of overwatering, sunburn, etc. I did manage to kill one though, over wattered, over shaded, and it rotted.
2. Peru "Clyde" seedling growing since the early spring! Disposable casserole dish method of growing.
3. Scop x ADL macrogonus tray, nice Trichocereus forest.

If you want a lot of cactus, just order a few thousand seeds and sow sow sow.

Edited by DancingWolf (08/08/20 05:55 PM)

InvisibletyrannicalrexS
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: pineninja]
    #26868912 - 08/07/20 08:55 PM (4 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

pineninja said:

A spot in southern Aus

Holy smoke! Have you tried them?

--------------------

Watermelon man-"I think that society and just everything , it dose a good job at making people want to live some bull shit fairytale. it's mostly just so they can suck whatever out of us. The only thing they can suck is my dick." :smile:

OfflineRunningboar026
Stranger

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #26872573 - 08/10/20 02:36 AM (2 days, 6 hours ago)

so im wanting to get into bud and cacti right now and i was wondering if anyone could recommend good sites to learn everything about the cacti from its biology to everything. And also places where i can get cuttings or seedlings.

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: Runningboar026]
    #26873051 - 08/10/20 12:49 PM (1 day, 20 hours ago)

That's a huge seedling DancingWolf! My biggest one is about a centimetre tall and it's been going since March! I've been keeping them in mostly shade because last time I put seedlings in the sun they ended up getting sun-burnt and stunted. Any tips on speeding growth up? I suspect they're that small because they're in a pretty small container, when I've uprooted them to graft I haven't seen them touch the container's edges, so that makes me think it's big enough.

How much rootspace do you give your peres? I've got mine in solo cups and they seem to do pretty good, but I'm not sure if that's ideal. I have noticed that the more leafs they have the faster the growth, so I'll be letting them get taller/leafier for sure.

--------------------

Edited by ninja cat 09 (08/10/20 12:51 PM)

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #26873256 - 08/10/20 02:44 PM (1 day, 18 hours ago)

Quote:

Runningboar026 said:
so im wanting to get into bud and cacti right now and i was wondering if anyone could recommend good sites to learn everything about the cacti from its biology to everything. And also places where i can get cuttings or seedlings.

You are on that website. Start with page one in the Ethno garden and click down the pages, reading every thread that peaks your interest. You will find dozens of books along the way which will add greater knowledge.

Quote:

ninja cat 09 said:
That's a huge seedling DancingWolf! My biggest one is about a centimetre tall and it's been going since March! I've been keeping them in mostly shade because last time I put seedlings in the sun they ended up getting sun-burnt and stunted. Any tips on speeding growth up? I suspect they're that small because they're in a pretty small container, when I've uprooted them to graft I haven't seen them touch the container's edges, so that makes me think it's big enough.

How much rootspace do you give your peres? I've got mine in solo cups and they seem to do pretty good, but I'm not sure if that's ideal. I have noticed that the more leafs they have the faster the growth, so I'll be letting them get taller/leafier for sure.

A few other members can grow them bigger in one year but also have better setups and more consistent conditions.

I am in USDA zone 8b (Texas), so treat all of this info as such.

I sowed most of my bake pans between Feb-April, I would need to look at the container for an exact date. This year, I sowed a test tray sometime in the middle of January - February so I could sow as soon as the first germinated seeds showed me its good to go. There is fair amount of growth during spring that I try to catch. I am in a heated greenhouse though so not everyone gets to start this early. I recommend at least 1" of dirt in a baking pan so the seedling roots have room to explore, my best trays have ~1" of dirt in them.

Seedlings don't like direct sun, especially when young, but full shade is almost as bad. There seems to be two good spots that Trichocereus seedlings like around my greenhouse; one is on a table which is pinned between the back of my greenhouse and a tree line on a NE/SW plane with overhanging branches, the other is on the inside back-end of my greenhouse a few feet from the stated table which is outside. The interior spot has opaque plastic and has the trees to shade it, as well as 40% shade cloth. They like as much sun as you can give them, without getting into intense, direct sunlight and burning them.

When they are <1", 40% shade cloth should be a good baseline for greenhouse conditions. Seedlings may tolerate an hour of sunlight in the summer *IF* they are acclimated to it from the start. Not all of my trays are in the same spot and some get more or less of these conditions. I had a lot of my Mammillaria Nejapansis seedlings bleach out and nuke recently but I think the tray just got too dry and I didn't notice they died when I was moving the tray to a more shady spot. My newest seedlings are under 40% shade cloth and nestled between pallets or under tables to try and keep the temperatures down. 75-80*F is more ideal for Trichocereus, but the greenhouse is 100+ and the interior of the humidity trays is much hotter if they aren't hidden away.

Temperature is also a factor in how much sun the plants can handle. Hotter temps means its easier to kill the plants with sunlight; the sun is also more intense in summer than it is in winter. Changing seasons can kill trays quickly if you don't have a facility where consistent conditions are possible. A week's worth of overcast weather in the spring may result in dead seedlings when the sun comes back out.

Concerning adult plants: I also don't have any stretching tips on my rooted Trichocereus that are under 40%, they are relatively filled out. I use E.share 40% cloth. My in-ground plants that are in full sun are hurting from the sun and aren't growing much, if at all, so anything from 20%-40% is god for Tricho in the summer. TMK, a lot of general plant nurseries use 30% to keep plants from growing too much while also keeping them filled out.

The majority of my Pereskiopsis grafts are started in 2" square pots / 32 flats with freshly rooted Pereskiopsis tips and those that take and look promising get put into 5.5" round pots. Green plastic doesn't heat up as much as black plastic and spares the roots a lot of stress. If I happen to have a pereskiopsis mother plant that sends up a single nice stalk, then a graft may be started in a one liter pot or larger, such as the big Peruvian V Tarma in my previous post which is still in its original pot. The bigger and more vigorous the pereskiopsis, the stronger the scion; grafting with 4-6" tip cuttings simply can't yield what an established plant can.

Solo-cups are good in a pinch and maybe its just summer but they don't seem to be as vigorous. Pereskiopsis do seem to grow scions better with more leaves, which is why I try to leave branches below the scion when they grow and just break the tips off. It's hit and miss with how well a Pereskiopsis will grow the scion so I can't say if letting branches grow for the leaves helps or not.

I'll try to get some pictures later on today. A lot of cactus/succulent, and seed growing is trial and error. I recommend getting a few thousand tricho seeds and experimenting with different tray setups, dirt mixes, etc. 4 parts coir, 6 parts vermiculite and 1-2 parts sifted forest topsoil is what I use for just about everything. When mixing, it has green-sand, phosphorus, iron, Diatomaceous earth, and a little gypsum tossed in just to cover things and the coir is usually expanded in a kelp water mixture, or I use a mostly coir based bag mix in place of coir; IIRC its Jolly Gardener or something. Any plants like Mammillaria might get gravel I pull from a local creek bed. Amazingly, its inert gravel and non-reactive in vinegar so its suitable for carnivorous plants.

This is my third year growing from seed. The first two years resulted in germination but pretty much total death, the second year resulted in widespread death and weak seedlings; many of which are fat and healthy today. This third year has been good too me, so expect the process to take some time. :P I'm re-potting into 3.5" round pots, most of the seedlings are 1" tall. Some members don't re-pot until 2".

Some of last year's abused seedlings, might not be from the same tray. And a more recent picture of them.
I went and got some pictures of where / how I'm currently keeping seedlings.
Alright, enough of my rambling. I included a lot of unrelated information but it could prove useful down the road.

Edited by DancingWolf (08/10/20 08:49 PM)

Offlineathos56
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: DancingWolf] * 1
    #26873739 - 08/10/20 07:24 PM (1 day, 13 hours ago)

Got some Bridgesii and Peruvianus seeds the other day, like a dumbass I promptly mixed up which container is which. Anyhow they are all sprouting pretty well!  These picture are all from one container so it's one of them IDK which. :rolleyes:

OfflineDancingWolf
FluffButt

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: athos56]
    #26873769 - 08/10/20 07:49 PM (1 day, 13 hours ago)

The Peruvians will have ~7 thorns with generous spination and the bridgesii will have around 3-4 thorns and probably catch blackspot at some point. :smile: Just give em misplant labels.

Offlineathos56
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: DancingWolf]
    #26873782 - 08/10/20 07:56 PM (1 day, 13 hours ago)

Yeah I figured I'd be able to tell them apart later, each variety is in it's own container at least.  I was just about to label them when I picked them up to put them on the shelf and promptly forgot which was which, I guess that what years of pot smoking gets me.

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android

Re: Trichocereus Growers Unite! [Re: DancingWolf]
    #26873791 - 08/10/20 08:04 PM (1 day, 13 hours ago)

Thanks a bunch for the info DancingWolf! I'll play around with the sun conditions to see what works, although I'll probably somewhat cautious, since I don't really have too many seeds and I'd rather not kill them just yet!

Since peresk have been very kind to me I'll probably be propagating them more and giving them bigger pots.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: < First | < Back | 988 | 989 | 990 | 991 | 992 | 993 | 994 | 995 | 996 | 997 | 998 | 999 | 1000 | 1001 | 1002 | 1003 | 1004 | 1005 | 1006 | 1007 | 1008 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Coir, Gypsum, Portable Greenhouse, San Pedro, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden