Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Drugs are evil! [Re: Pyronate]
    #1799553 - 08/10/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Are you guys having fun arguing? If you are, you really need to try being peaceful - if you think arguing is fun, OH....MY.,....GOD....youll be amazed at how great peaceful conversation is. Its truly a blessing.

If you WERENT having fun, and were getting upset in real life, then I suggest you either stop posting, or relax a bit, take deeper breaths, watch a SouthPark show, or don't post on a message board period.

Come on guys, everyone has their own perspectives and beliefs, and NONE of them are correct except MINE. Please, once we all except this - we'll all get along :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
    #1799599 - 08/10/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'm sorry if I came off strong, I didn't mean to.
Quote:

Pyronate said:
Not really what I meant. My point had more to do with the fact that humans that attempt to exert control over their environment will tend to advance technologically, and humans that attempt to exert control over their fellow humans will tend to gain power over them.

I see what you are saying.  That leads us to about where we are now in most industrialized societies.  I think (hope) that after this point, something will happen that will unite us into a peaceful, honest, loving society.  Funny though, don't the Christians say that when this happens it's a sign of the end times and that the antichrist is ruling?  Maybe the antichrist is just someone who will deceive the masses by somehow profiting or being selfish or something - a dishonest ruler.  If that's it, we've had lots of those :smile:  We've got one right now :tongue:  But I digress.

Quote:

Contrast this to humans that do not attempt to exert control over their environment or fellow humans: technological advances will be slow (if present at all), and they will probably be taken over by a more aggressive, control-oriented group of humans. 

I think that it is possible for a society to get to a point where people are motivated to study and do research and help society, for the logical benefits to society and mankind.  I think this would probably come after a time like we are in now, after some unifying event or something.  Then again this is all coming from a huge idealist :smile:

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Drugs are evil! [Re: Autonomous]
    #1799649 - 08/10/03 09:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I just hate it when americans romanticize their role in world-war 2. Its self-deluding and false. Not that the american army didnt produce alot of good results, but know your history!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you claiming that American forces did not liberate any concentration camps and that there were no Jews present in any of the camps? I recall reading some accounts that contradict this, but hey, they could have been lies.

I was just trying to help clear this little tid-bit up with what I thought Atomik was trying to say, and present my opinion. I didn't accuse you of romanticizing anything.
Anyways, That's all I have to say on the matter, sorry for the off-topicness.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

#1800302 - 08/11/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

there is no such thing as evil.

OfflinePyronate
Prying open mythird eye

Loc: Forever I walk among the ...
Re: Drugs are evil! [Re: whole9]
    #1800425 - 08/11/03 01:06 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

evil (adj)

1. Morally bad or wrong; wicked.
2. Causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.
3. Characterized by or indicating future misfortune; ominous.
4. Bad or blameworthy by report; infamous.
5. Characterized by anger or spite; malicious.

evil (n)

1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction.
3. An evil force, power, or personification.
4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction.

I have a problem with the first one; since I do not personally possess morals, I cannot consider anything morally bad or wrong. The closest I could come would be to consider something harmful towards my goals.

But as to the rest: Clearly, by these definitions, there is such thing as evil.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom... keep that in mind at all times."

--Bill Hicks (RIP)

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1800472 - 08/11/03 01:23 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The closest I could come would be to consider something harmful towards my goals.

That's exactly what morality is, a classification of things as being harmful or beneficial. So if you consider some things harmful to your goals, you do possess morals.

OfflinePyronate
Prying open mythird eye

Re: Drugs are evil! [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1800555 - 08/11/03 02:13 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I'd call your definition of morality a drastic and inaccurate oversimplification.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom... keep that in mind at all times."

--Bill Hicks (RIP)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1800748 - 08/11/03 04:53 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pyronate said:
evil (n)
1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction.
3. An evil force, power, or personification.
4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction.

But as to the rest: Clearly, by these definitions, there is such thing as evil.

Those definitions of evil are BULLSHIT. Time to cut them down, one by one...

1. Being morally bad or wrong is completely subjective. One person sees taking drugs as being morally wrong, one person sees prohibiting drug use as morally wrong. Who the fuck is right, and who the fuck is wrong?! Evil is a term used to label people that they BELIEVE are morally wrong, but that does not mean that Evil actually exists.

2. Things that cause harm and misfortune to some have the opposite effect to others... Once again, does evil really exist, or do we say it exists?

3. How can you define evil by an evil force? I didn't think that one could use the word itself in the definition of the word. Hmm... an evil force is evil. Nice definiton.

4. Hmm, a volcano is evil because it is the source of suffering and destruction. A wolf is evil because it is the source of suffering and destruction. Progress is evil because it is the source of suffering and destruction. Suffering and destruction are all in the mind, people, we are the ones that make it suffering.

Clearly, there is no force such as evil, there are just happenings, people, and thoughts that are defined as such. I think anyone that tears down a house to build a new one is evil, as they are the source of destruction....
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePyronate
Prying open mythird eye

Re: Drugs are evil! [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1801596 - 08/11/03 12:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Being a lazy fuck, I took those directly from dictionary.com.

What you're basically saying is that 'evil' is subjective, and defining something as such usually requires having a specific point of view. This is generally true.

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
3. How can you define evil by an evil force? I didn't think that one could use the word itself in the definition of the word. Hmm... an evil force is evil. Nice definiton.

Obviously, they're saying 'evil (n)' is an 'evil (adj) force' It's not a self-referential definition; it's referencing the adjective definition of the word within the noun definition.

Quote:

Clearly, there is no force such as evil, there are just happenings, people, and thoughts that are defined as such.

I tend to agree.

--------------------

--Bill Hicks (RIP)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder