Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Shpongle, The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
What causes us to be the way we are?
    #1800102 - 08/11/03 01:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps destiny or some "plan" that we dont know about. But I am sceptic about this. I guess it could be the whole A, B type personality. Do any of yall have a theory on what causes certain people to develope certain personalites at a young age? Why are the funny guys funny, the chill guys chill, and the other guys other? Im sure it has to do with your envirorment, but a a neat experiment(kinda like in lord of the flies) would be too put kids on an island, and see how they developed socially. Why, when raised in a christian house, my brother turned "rebel" at like 12, and I dident get there till 15 or 16.Why was I so involved in religion and why did I beleive what people I trusted told me without reason? perhaps it was my mental defense mechanism to not face reality, perhaps I coulda lived in the dream for my whole life. Its scary to think about now. Im glad a friend introduced me to herb, and then to the fun guys, which have both helped me see, acept, and make changes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1800406 - 08/11/03 02:59 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you can take an entire semester long class on this at any university. Its developmental psych, or lifespan development. If you want, you can go get a textbook. These a shitload of different theories and stuff about which cognitive functions are typically mastered at which ages, theres a lot of research on personality development. Interesting shit.

Most psychs believe personality is a combination of genetics and past experiences that shape us. I believe that explains a lot, but isnt really the whole story.

still, just go to a decent library and get one of these texts... there are theories and research on just about anything you can possibly imagine.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1800414 - 08/11/03 03:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

in reply to:

-----

"what causes us to be the way we are?"

-----

society.

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1800421 - 08/11/03 03:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

A number of determining factors:

Genetics
Upbringing
Friends(who you hang out with)
Experience/Exposure to ideas
Possibly astrology/numerology/etc.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: silversoul7]
    #1800442 - 08/11/03 03:12 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

From my upbringing, comming from the gene's i did...i can see how i ended up as i did. In my case, outside influence created "me".

I dont subscribe to the destiny theory, we are entirely what we are exposed to and how we interpert it (which is determined by what we've been exposed to...) it's all about influence.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: PDU]
    #1800455 - 08/11/03 03:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I guess there comes a point where if you dont like the way you developed mentaly as a child, you can change it as an adult. Or am I wrong? Im kinda in the inbetween, still struggling to free myself from the things my parents and society "bombarded" me with as a youngin, yet still trying to decide what is really right for me. But I wonder, is there some things in your mind that you cant change, that your like stuck with forever ingrained on your instincts?

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1800463 - 08/11/03 03:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh yeah... i forgot genetics!

doh!

/me smacks my forehead

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: PDU]
    #1800480 - 08/11/03 03:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
I dont subscribe to the destiny theory, we are entirely what we are exposed to and how we interpert it (which is determined by what we've been exposed to...) it's all about influence.

When I mentioned astrology/numerology, I wasn't talking about our destiny. I'm talking about the influence of those things on our personalities.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1800733 - 08/11/03 06:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you are aware that what made you who you are is the result of programming in our head, picked up from the environment, etc., you have your foot in the door to changing yourself. Clear out the bad, keep what you truly identify with, and mold the rest into who you want to be.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
    #1800822 - 08/11/03 08:03 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

2Experimental said:
I guess there comes a point where if you dont like the way you developed mentaly as a child, you can change it as an adult. Or am I wrong? Im kinda in the inbetween, still struggling to free myself from the things my parents and society "bombarded" me with as a youngin, yet still trying to decide what is really right for me. But I wonder, is there some things in your mind that you cant change, that your like stuck with forever ingrained on your instincts? 

You are right, you can definately change it.  It is really a mindfuck, though, getting rid of the fear of god/hell that I grew up with all my life.  Yesterday I talked to my mom and she asked what I thought about the gay episcopalian bishop, she said that all she knew to make of it was that it was a "sign of the end times" - what bullshit, I feel bad for her for having hear head fucked with like that to the point where she can't think for herself on issues like these.  They are definately changeable, and you recognizing the programming have, like fireworks_god said, a foot in the door to changing it.  Go for it, it can be tough but don't give up. :thumbup:

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: neutralizer]
    #1800833 - 08/11/03 08:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It is tough, but the payoff is everything. Try to accumulate a wide variety of experiences, too... try new things, be comfortable doing whatever it is you are doing. Take a lack of knowledge in an area as a challenge, only something you do not yet know...

Seriously. I know a lot of people that think it would be great to play guitar, but "they would never be able to learn". Never really tried, or probably just gave up... but yet they still wish they could play. The only difference between being here and being there is getting there.

Fear of God was never so hard for me to get over. I know that if there is a God, it is a lot more possible that He is just happy when everyone just experiences, when they be who they want to be and do what they want to do, and allow others to do the same. He's probably sitting somewhere, watching all of the parts of Him grow, change, and evolve, probably not to set on His creation, if it fails, then it fails. I seem to think it won't, though..

The power that the people that put the fear of God into others have is unbelieveable. By simply saying that there is a God, that if you don't follow the path they design, that you will burn in Eternal Hell, there is always the option in your mind that it might be true, and the more people that believe it, the more powerful it becomes..

Everything is simply an idea. I came across this while tripping. Everyone themselves an idea, but all of these ideas we have, some flow along, never really paid attention to, some evolve and change with the times, some are held onto like nothing else matters. Some will give up their chance to experience here for such an idea. It is all about the idea, people.

Simply come up with the idea that you yourself are who you want to be, that you are great and wonderful, and that you really don't have to hold on to all of these ideas around you, that you can experience without having to become attached, or at least too attached.... Shpongle is still playing, by the way....
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1800841 - 08/11/03 08:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think my biggest problem of changing is that I actually put pieces together of my previous faith and I made them fit into this nice picture that had me safely in Jesus's arms and saved and stuff (which included, of course, other people, most people going to hell for eternal torment).  I was a good person, with a faith that I had convinced myself with.  Then I decided that I was gay, and I kinda threw that all away so that I could live my life, and even though I knew it was just a contrived idea, my spirituality, it is still hard to get rid of it.  I went from a good situation (although I wasn't really being myself) to the other side of the fence, to being in an immoral state of being according to my former religion. 

I guess because I had made it make sense to me, and because by changing I didn't gain anything spriritually (according to Christianity) it was/still is a difficult change.

You are right about the conflicting ideas, I think everyone has a sea of voices inside them (at least I do!) - I think it's just our unconscious thoughts and stuff that we normally don't pay attention to that goes on in our heads.  I like lowering my "conscious threshhold" if you will and listening in, I've even found that I can communicate with the different parts of me.  Anyway, getting to know these parts of yourself makes it much easier to be honest with yourself and to reprogram yourself, or better said de-program yourself.

And Jim Morrison is still singing to me through mp3 technology :cool:

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Edited by neutralizer (08/11/03 08:32 AM)

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: neutralizer]
    #1800965 - 08/11/03 09:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

a nifty combination of brain chemistry and dna.

InvisibleLeonopoly
Stranger

Re: What causes us to be the way we are? [Re: Lazerouth]
    #1920682 - 09/16/03 06:22 AM (14 years, 13 days ago)

"What causes us to be the way we are?"

Our environement and our date/time of birth.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Shpongle, The Doors

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology