Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegetnasty
Stranger
 User Gallery
coco husk/verm spawning advice
    #17998521 - 03/23/13 09:30 AM (11 years, 27 days ago)

OK. It's time!

This is my first grow. I have 4 cakes fully colonized and 2 nearing 100% colonization that will need to go for another week. I have coco husk and vermiculite to spawn to. No hpoo or anything like that but I could go pick up some gypsum if anybody advises it.

Questions:

Should I 50:50 the substrate I'll be spawning my brf cakes to? Or should I just spawn it to the coco husk? I'll be blending the husk into a finer "fiber" of sorts, even though you guys advise to break it up by hand after hydrating it.

Should I pasteurize the mix today and let it set til tomorrow when I'll be shredding and spawning my cakes? Or should I do it all on the fly tomorrow?

My shoeboxes in which the cakes will be incubating are approximately 13" x 9" x 5". I'll only be using 2x 1/2 pint cakes per cake to use as spawn. How much substrate do you recommend to spawn to? I have one brick of husk to use thus far and 3/4 a bag of verm.

Any other advice or recommendations other than advice against shredding/crumbling the cakes? I'm set in doing this, even though this particular community advises against it. Thanks in advance

-Nasty

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejboredone
Money-The root of all evil....
 User Gallery

Re: coco husk/verm spawning advice [Re: getnasty]
    #17998566 - 03/23/13 09:46 AM (11 years, 27 days ago)

I say just keep the cakes as they are...:justdontknow:

--------------------
Peace Pot Micro-Dot God Loves You High or Not!!!
In order to grow old and wise, you must once have been young and dumb!

Offlinegetnasty
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: coco husk/verm spawning advice [Re: jboredone]
    #17998577 - 03/23/13 09:49 AM (11 years, 27 days ago)

Not happening :wink: Seen too many good things from flat cakes.

Offlinetropicalfrenzy
Strangerer
 User Gallery

Loc: Oz Flag
    #17998615 - 03/23/13 10:02 AM (11 years, 27 days ago)

Hey, I've never used coir, but when I was a super new grower I used poo from cakes. 50/50 ratio spawn with a 5%ish additive gypsum. Spawned in chinese take away containers (rectangular ones) and birthed them out as loafs and fruited in the SGFC... went really well and I never looked back. I based my tek off this one to start, and then I worked from there.
yes, spawn them to mini trays, don't fruit them, for best results.
Hope this helps a bit...

PS: grating cakes with a cheese grater through the big holes is the best way.

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #17998634 - 03/23/13 10:09 AM (11 years, 27 days ago)

Spawn the cakes to an even amount of hydrated/pasteurized coir/verm, it will be fine sitting for a day until you mix in the spawn.

Cakes that are being spawned to bulk do not need a week of consolidation after 100%, just spawn them right away.

Do not incubate, room temperature is best, anywhere from 65F to 80F is perfect.

Allow them to get ambient/indirect light while colonizing.

Offlinefirst time expert
practice makes perfect
Male User Gallery

Loc: top of mount washington Flag
Re: coco husk/verm spawning advice [Re: PussyFart]
    #17999186 - 03/23/13 12:31 PM (11 years, 27 days ago)

I thought it was best to let any thing colonize 1 week or longer before spawning to bulk? So would you let rye berries colonize a week  before spawning to bulk? Maybe I misread the info?

*It isn't really necessary to wait for primordia to birth, but the idea is to give about a week after full colonization for the mycelium to digest some of the food it has just colonized. We call this process 'consolidation' and it makes for a much better pinset. Consolidation allows the mycelium to perform this process while still in the jars so they don't dry out before the flush. Those who birth right at full colonization often ends up with dry cakes by the time they flush, which reduces yields. CONSOLIDATION PF CAKES  RR

Does this apply if you are going to  leave cakes as cakes and not spawn them to bulk?

--------------------

Offlinetropicalfrenzy
Strangerer
 User Gallery

Loc: Oz Flag
Re: coco husk/verm spawning advice [Re: first time expert]
    #17999229 - 03/23/13 12:42 PM (11 years, 27 days ago)

Just spawn them at 100%. They don't need to be ready to fruit. (consolidated)

--------------------

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: coco husk/verm spawning advice [Re: tropicalfrenzy]
    #17999254 - 03/23/13 12:49 PM (11 years, 27 days ago)

Doesn't apply if you're spawning the cakes. After the new substrate colonizes though it's still a good idea to let that consolidate some before placing in fruiting conditions.

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: coco husk/verm spawning advice [Re: Kizzle]
    #17999297 - 03/23/13 01:03 PM (11 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Kizzle said:
After the new substrate colonizes though it's still a good idea to let that consolidate some before placing in fruiting conditions.

I disagree with this. I used to wait to see pins on my tubs before fruiting. While it would sometimes yield a better initial pinset, the final yield would be diminished because of aborts.
I tried fruiting at 100% on a round of 12 tubs and never looked back. Everything just seems happier and healthier that way.
Besides, PF cakes need consolidation time but bulk substrate colonizes quickly and evenly when mixed properly and lacks the high nutritional content of the BRF cake.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds