Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
moral dilema
    #1799667 - 08/10/03 11:23 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, this may seem dumb to you, but bare with me. I was raised in way, that ingrained upon my subconcious mind to beleive that when animals die, they die(no afterlife). Now, a while ago a post was made asking if yall felt guilty about killing any living thing(bugs, animals, ect)and if it was wrong... Heres the dilema:

I find myself at instinct(dont even think about it) swatting bugs and killing insects. Because I was raised christian, and they are big on the "we are the most important thing", whenever I asked my parents what happened to bambi when he got ganked, they would always say " animals dont go to heaven". Anyways, so now(from personal experience), I have a greater respect for all life, and would never harm an animal or other person, unless its called for(protection, ect). But as I type now, the screen is semi blurred in an area from where I swatted a knat on my screen on instinct. If I have such love for life, why do I do this? How can I get around being programmed by my parents, and society, that bugs and rodents are meant to die. I mean, sometimes I feel silly for feeling guilty for killing a small fly, but feelings are feelings, and im trying to live my life now where I adress them, insteaded of moving on and letting them be, and the shroomery is a good place to ask cause alot of you think like I do, and alot of you dont, so I can get a good wide range of opinions. I think animals are spirits in thier own way, and possibly insects, and also plants. How can I escape this moral dilema?
Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: moral dilema [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1799671 - 08/10/03 11:25 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

ummmmmmm just don't kill stuff man.  :smile:

oh, and it's dilemma not dilema :wink:

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: moral dilema [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1799732 - 08/10/03 11:46 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Think of how animals treat other animals.  They eat them for food, they give each other a good swap when they are annoyed.

I used to think exactly like you, until I was growing mushrooms (legal ones of course :smile:) and I got a bad gnat problem.  They would swarm over my moniter or tv.  I tried cleaning up some, I tried telling the flies "Please leave" then when they wouldn't I tried telling them that if they don't leave I'll smush them.  They didn't leave, so I smooshed them (brushing them away was ineffective).  They knew that they'd get smooshed if they stayed, but they wouldn't leave.  Their own fault.  Plus you'd think that if they saw their friend's guts smeared across my monitor, they'd know not to land.  Anyway, I bought this thing that kills flies by releasing some odor, and the flies all died.

I don't, however, smoosh bugs or flies during other encounters.  I still feel like you do, except now I have a line that if they cross I want to get rid of them.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Edited by neutralizer (08/10/03 11:47 PM)

Anonymous

#1799743 - 08/10/03 11:50 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I went through the same thing as you. I was raised a Christian yet taught it was okay to kill unwanted insects and rodents without a shred of guilt. Since then I've realized that all life is sacred, and killing even the most seemingly unimportant insect or plant should not be taken lightly. If there's a fly who's found a home in my apartment, I'll let it be. If I find a spider, I'll pick it up and place it outside rather than squashing it. This comes from a well-developed sense of empathy. Would you want to be killed by some creature thousands of times bigger than you just because they didn't want you around? Of course not. This is why you would not do such a thing to any other form of life.

The issue is a bit different if your home is inundated with rats or ants. In that case, if you really have to get rid of them for the sake of avoiding disease or whatever, say a prayer to the universe wishing them well for their next incarnation and saying that your intentions are for your own well-being, then use the method that will cause them the least amount of suffering.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: moral dilema [Re: neutralizer]
    #1799752 - 08/10/03 11:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thats a good way to look at it. I guess a basic instinct in all living things is eat or get eaten. THIS IS A WARNING TO YOU GNATS

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: moral dilema [Re: ]
    #1799759 - 08/10/03 11:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm, also a good way to look at it. I wish I could find an acceptable medium.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1800337 - 08/11/03 02:33 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Pretend that you have two trees planted beside each other. One day you notice that one of the trees is shading part of the other tree. This makes you concerned, because the shaded tree has better fruit than the first tree. What do you do?

1. Carefully cut off a few selected branches until the shading is no more any problem.

2. Attack the trunk of the shading tree with a chainsaw while shouting "gotcha you shading motherfucker tree!" and then after it's cut down, hit the dead tree a couple of times with your fist.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: moral dilema [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1800801 - 08/11/03 07:38 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:
2. Attack the trunk of the shading tree with a chainsaw while shouting "gotcha you shading motherfucker tree!" and then after it's cut down, hit the dead tree a couple of times with your fist.

I understand all lumberjacks are so impassioned about cutting down trees, that they do it this way. hehe. Every single one. They also love pancakes.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: moral dilema [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1800813 - 08/11/03 07:52 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

And they all wear flannel, too.  :wink:

Lumberjacks are hot

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
Re: moral dilema [Re: neutralizer]
    #1800853 - 08/11/03 08:44 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

lol you sound like a jainist!

why dont you just buy a broom?

Offlineololiuqui
LSD-25

Re: moral dilema [Re: Lazerouth]
    #1802227 - 08/11/03 05:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'd really miss fluffy in heaven  :sad:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology