Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Loc: In a spore
Cleanliness
    #1798713 - 08/10/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ok my EQ syringe will be coming tommarow and i will be starting my growing project. I'm gonna use the pf-tek verm and brf. I have some questions on cleanliness.

>This is going to be an undercover project, so i will be doing it in my closet where all my clothes are and such. is this gonna give me a big risk of contams? I was planning on hiding the container under a clean sheet, and of course bringing it out so that it can get sufficient light every day.

>My mom has brown rice in a cabinet, its in a sealed container and inside a bag, should i just go buy new brown rice to be safe or can i just use the brown rice we already have.

I plan to keep the jars in a cabinet beside my bet until i get mycelium, then when it comes time for fruiting, putting them into this rubbermaid container i have with perlite on the bottom.

This is my first grow so im still just a newb, so if any of my questions sound stupid im sorry. I have been doing my research though and i plan to be as clean as possible (i.e. working as fast as possible, and on clean surfaces, washing hands and using lysol and stuff).

Oh yeah i have one more question, i don't have a pressure cooker so can i use the method where you put one inch of water into a pot and boil with the jars inside?

answers to any of my questions would be great! thanks in advance.

--------------------
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cleanliness [Re: RespectTheFungus]
    #1798725 - 08/10/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

respect your mom and ask if you can grow some mushrooms...
you don't have to tell her they are of the trippy sort :lipsrsealed:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
    #1798797 - 08/10/03 04:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with kramer/george. Tell your mom.
To answer your first question, when your incubating, you dont want to give your jars any light. (you can check them every couple of days ofcourse) My incubator is in my closet too, it doesn't hurt them.

Yes, you can use the brown rice, since your sterilizing it in your pot or pressure cooker.

Keeping the jars in a container sounds okay, but it may be advisable to construct an incubator, a simple cutless incubator . When the jars are 100% colonised, put them in a rubbermaid, with perlite and fan em a couple of times a day. This will work just fine.

I hope i answered your questions.

Erik006

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Re: Cleanliness [Re: Erik006]
    #1798862 - 08/10/03 05:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys, the problem is i already asked my mom before, and i almost had her convinced, but she was cought up on the legal aspect. And i should of just said i was growing the legal kind, but she wouldn't believe that now because she knows i want to grow the magic kind. But i think i can hide the operation from her just fine.

--------------------
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #1798869 - 08/10/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Should work, if you do everything sterilly. Putting them in a bin is a good idea; there should be still air in the bin. Clean the bin first and do EVERYTHING "sterilly." Don't check on them for at LEAST a week after inoculation. The more you check on them the more likely they are to contaminate.

Try to get them at 85F; if you can't room temp is o.k., but they'll grow slower which means more likely to contaminate.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Re: Cleanliness [Re: micro]
    #1798901 - 08/10/03 05:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hm ok i thought they were supposed to be like 71f to 81f (81 being max?) but i guess i was wrong. What are some good ways to raise the temp?

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1798937 - 08/10/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you can use the box the jars came in (assuming you bought all twelve half pints at the same time) to store them in while incubating. I like to spray the inside liberally with lysol, line with foil (tape it against the sides of the box) and keep in a warm place till full colonization takes place. You may want to buy brown rice or brf (unless you want to grind your own rice, which I prefer but not everyone has a coffee grinder) since brown rice still has the bran attatched which contains fat, and fat goes rancid if left to languish for too long and/or exposed to light, air or heat. Ideally you should store br/brf in the freezer.

You can steam your jars just fine, just make sure you have a suitable stove top setup, ideally you want to have a rack in your pot that will elevate the jars so they're not touching the water in any way, and one inch is a little sparse considering evaporation will take place and you want to steam them for a good hour or so. Don't forget to foil the tops of the jars so they don't get water logged.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Cleanliness [Re: soochi]
    #1798958 - 08/10/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

85F is optimal but you DON'T want to go over this. It's better to be colder than too hot.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #1799067 - 08/10/03 06:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like you have a clear idea of what you intend to do just make sure you follow the PF-Tek specs to the tee for your first time.

The brown rice in your moms closet will work just fine like everyone else said, the fact being you are going to Pressure cook it or sterilize it some other way thus eliminating any bad bacteria.

Since you are doing your jars BRF you can use the water in the pot method instead of a PC(short for pressure cooker) but if you decide to step it up to grains you will need a PC.

The next thing I'd suggest is read more just keep reading, read through many methods and see which appeal and have worked best for others after you get done with PF-TEK.

and as always TIME and patients don't get frustrated because your jars have only been colonizing 10 days and they show little or no sign of colonization they take time and sometimes extra time(though the incubator will help) I recommend for your EQ's you keep them at a steady 83 degrees that's always a happy temperature I think;)

And best of luck to you

OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Re: Cleanliness [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1799565 - 08/10/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thanks man, im confident that i can do this right, im gonna be VERY careful in doing everything, cuz i want great results

--------------------

InvisibleAlienPrimate
Brachiator
    #1801593 - 08/11/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

good luck!

--------------------
I said "no" to drugs but drugs just aint takin no for an answer!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract