Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblethelanzii

Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: HypnotoadCroaked]
    #17957973 - 03/14/13 10:55 PM (11 years, 16 days ago)

yeah I wish I could heat entire rooms as well.  This chills in my walk in closet on low heat.  The growth has sky rocketed.  I understand everyone has their own situation but if u have thirty dollars to spare and the right situation for it I highly recommend it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: thelanzii]
    #17958380 - 03/15/13 12:16 AM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Nemmies said:
this beautiful piece of equipment the other day

I have two :lol:
I'm always recommending them to people.
But I can't keep my fruiting room at 80F and expect my tubs to stay at a decent temp while they colonize. Since I colonize and fruit in the same room, the incubator is perfect.

Citric, I will give that a shot when I have some room in there, it's a little full right now! :thumbup:

Also, regarding the air stone, I found when I first started using this that if I didn't have something circulating the water, the heater itself would make the bottom of the second tub (and the bottom of the jars inside) too hot.
Magash said its optional but I wouldn't go without.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

Invisiblethelanzii

Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #17958486 - 03/15/13 12:53 AM (11 years, 16 days ago)

Yeah I may give it another shot when I get some funds for an airstone.  petsmart let me return the heater after like 20 days.  That was prime.  There would be some areas of the tub really warm and some as if it wasnt even in the incubator.

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: thelanzii]
    #17960011 - 03/15/13 11:48 AM (11 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Nemmies said:
Yeah I may give it another shot when I get some funds for an airstone.  petsmart let me return the heater after like 20 days.  That was prime.  There would be some areas of the tub really warm and some as if it wasnt even in the incubator.

Yeah, my first time running it I remember I lost a few jars because they got so hot above the heater. Circulating the water prevents that.
It also makes a very silly "BLOOP!" sound every couple of minutes when a big air bubble comes to the surface :lol:

--------------------

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

#17962393 - 03/15/13 09:15 PM (11 years, 15 days ago)

Nice pictorial, Frank, as always.

Do you ever have problems with stuff growing in the water? How often do you change/clean it? Have you ever tried adding bleach, or maybe some of that humidifier anti-bacteria/anti-algae water treatment?

I was at one point considering building a TiT using mineral oil instead of water. That's what is used for things like giant electrical transformers. It wouldn't grow contaminants and it wouldn't evaporate. I guess circulating might prove to be challenging, though, since an airstone might not work quite so well. Maybe some kind of little electric oil pump...

Offlinehgmstl
Dough boy
 User Gallery

Loc: The spot. Flag
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: toxetel]
    #17962632 - 03/15/13 10:46 PM (11 years, 15 days ago)

Thank you frank. You are second only to RR WiTh relevant information. I appreciate you for documenting proper procedure.

--------------------
Yo yo yo

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: hgmstl]
    #17980363 - 03/19/13 04:58 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

:thanx:

I change the water between cycles of master jars, usually once a month or so. I add about 1/3 of a bottle of H2O2 to the water and the air stone keeps it from getting stagnant.
I updated the OP with this info and a bit more :awesomenod:

I don't know why you would want to mess with mineral oil. That sounds incredibly messy and to fill my tub up to the needed level, I'd have to use about 14 gallons of oil :eek:

--------------------

OfflineBlake_Shroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#17980413 - 03/19/13 05:07 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I've noticed way faster growth on my petris and also the jars i have in there. Luckily I had an aquarium heater from when i first started growing. Took 5 minutes to set up. Cant believe I needed this reminder to set it up again, but thanks.

I used extra pint jars for the separator between tubs  :sunny:

Invisibletoxetel
׀ǝʇǝxoʇ ●

Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: Blake_Shroom]
    #17981222 - 03/19/13 08:00 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I see your points about the oil. My thought about it was just that it could essentially be maintenance-free. But, yeah, it'd be messy for sure. And expensive.

The peroxide is a good idea.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #17981734 - 03/19/13 09:37 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

FrankHorrigan said:
:thanx:

I change the water between cycles of master jars, usually once a month or so. I add about 1/3 of a bottle of H2O2 to the water and the air stone keeps it from getting stagnant.
I updated the OP with this info and a bit more :awesomenod:

I don't know why you would want to mess with mineral oil. That sounds incredibly messy and to fill my tub up to the needed level, I'd have to use about 14 gallons of oil :eek:

Forget adding h2o2.  Add bleach.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: Citric]
    #17981825 - 03/19/13 09:49 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

Good idea. Done :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #17989507 - 03/21/13 12:56 PM (11 years, 9 days ago)

I realized this could use an extra level for petris or half-pints, so I cut a piece of wire shelf to fit inside perfectly. Added a pic to the OP as well :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineDustJuice
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇

#18267083 - 05/15/13 02:12 AM (10 years, 10 months ago)

I just started out with a TIT. No airstone, just aqua heater. I didn't want to zip tie it because it seems like it would be a pain to cut the ties when your first getting the temp right on the heater.

First off I set it to 28 and it didn't seem to be getting warm enough inside, possibly because it was floating so I turned it up and i think it was too hot, started getting a lot of contams and condensation.

Next up I tried the water stone and pump as suggested but there were two problems. One, the bubbling gurgling noise is pretty loud if its in your room. Two, it somehow messed with the heat sensor in the aqua heater and it stopped heating, as if warm bubbles were hitting it and signalling a higher temp. Sounds strange but that's what seemed to be happening.

I turned the pump off, turned the temp down and put some weights on top and it seems to be better now but one side of the bottom tub is still going to be warmer.

First time I put some plates in I also put the left over baby bottle of agar in that I had noccd. I checked it a day later and the agar had moved in the bottle and re-set on an angle. Now I raise the plates above the jars/ LC by putting a scrunched up survival/ heat blanket (disposable silver thing)  as a buffer in between and to raise the plates. Cant fit a fridge shelf.

I want to get a consistent temp across the bottom. Maybe I should put the heater up one end and the stone up the other and see if that stops it from interfering with the sensor? I just dont want to zip tie it because it seems like I might be cutting them all the time in the process of working this out.

Edited by DustJuice (05/15/13 02:14 AM)

Offlinetwistedty
Forcefully Retired
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: DustJuice]
    #18275869 - 05/16/13 08:40 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

get a reptile thermostat to run with your aquarium heater. or just let your jars colonize at room temp either or

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: twistedty]
    #18275921 - 05/16/13 08:49 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Nice write up. To anyone having bacterial issues, try a grain other than rye.  I see issues (bacterial) exclusively from rye sometimes.
I too, go against all recommendations and keep jars warm.

The oil filled radiator in a closet setup is a blessing for the hundreds of jars setup...
The basement is just too cold in winter.

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Frank's tub-in-tub incubator [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #19049947 - 10/29/13 12:49 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Wow.  Just wow.

Inoculated five PF jars with blue oyster culture last night.

Visible mycelium growth in at least one inoculation point of every jar after only 24 hours.  Tub is holding consistent temperature of 83 degrees F.

Consistent temperature really does the trick.  I will never go back.  Ever.  Thank you so much frank.

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Frank's tub-in-tub incubator [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #19049981 - 10/29/13 01:01 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

elasticaltiger said:
Wow.  Just wow.

Inoculated five PF jars with blue oyster culture last night.

Visible mycelium growth in at least one inoculation point of every jar after only 24 hours.  Tub is holding consistent temperature of 83 degrees F.

Consistent temperature really does the trick.  I will never go back.  Ever.  Thank you so much frank.

No problem friend :awesomenod:

I'm glad you like the benefits. I won't go back either.

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: veda_sticks]
    #19433644 - 01/17/14 03:08 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
its more so to beginners in growing mushroom that we try and stear them away from incubators.

But if you have experience and have your incubator dialed in, theres no reason why they wont get thigns done quicker.

Its better for a spomeone beginning to just be patient and wait the little extra time, rather than having things go wrong and get discouraged.

At least it's better than the kind of heating mats some people use (basically heater blankets, there's an infared kind sold by azarius but I'm not sure if that's any better). My first time, I had a heater pad on a timer (only 30 mins at a time, once every 2 hrs on low, with towels I'm between) and at one point, the temp inside the incubator box (basically a glove box) shot up to 92 degrees. Luckily this was for only twenty minutes, and this was colonized at around 78-80 degrees, I then tried not incubating (70 - 75) and got a higher yield and even faster colonization. Go figure.

Only difference was one was cambo one was B+, both fast colonizers. Heat does seem to increase yield per flush per cake (it SEEMED) but overall less flushes. Of course this could be just the genetics as well

Btw also people say not to use digi hygrometers in the FC but I did and it worked just fine. It was a brand that came with a friends grow box (which was an essentially useless PMP but had some cool parts and really good substrate, it was simply filled with holes and became a shotgun)

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMax_the_grower
Stranger
    #19673055 - 03/09/14 07:27 PM (10 years, 21 days ago)

New grower here, I made this incubator and is there any way to stop the "bloop" from happening?

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My tub-in-tub incubator [Re: Max_the_grower] * 1
    #19673064 - 03/09/14 07:29 PM (10 years, 21 days ago)

Jars/bags/tubs/trays should colonize @ room temperature getting ambient/indirect light.

Main pinning triggers are full colonization, FAE and Evaporation off of the substrate.

Light is a secondary pinning trigger. For tropical species temperature is not a pinning factor.

P. Cubensis are a tropical species. You could colonize at 70F and fruit at 80F with great results.

Light has been proven beneficial during all stages of mycellium growth. Mushrooms like mammals have a circadian rhythm.

You want ambient/indirect light(on a 12/12 schedule preferably) for colonization and consolidation.

You want direct/intense 6500K light on a 12/12 schedule for fruiting.

Optimal temps are mid 70s throughout the whole grow, but anywhere from 65F-80F is acceptable.

Incubation is outdated/uneeded unless temps in the range stated above cannot be kept.

The inside of the jar is always a few degrees warmer than the outside because the mycellium produces heat..mycellium tends to stall at temps above 86F , and contams thrive.

Fruiting at cooler temps tends to produce denser, meatier fruits, while fruiting at higher temps will often produce hollow, less dense stems.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale