Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Catha Edulis; Khat
    #1783196 - 08/05/03 09:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Just a few khat plants.

Soil is a good sandy mix of sand, soil and lime. Kept dry more so than wet. And left in full sun. The leaves with a redder tinge are older and more mature than the younger green ones. They're not hurt or sunburned or dying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: neuro]
    #1783249 - 08/05/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

beautifull post. i love that plants...and it loves me:) m69

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1783279 - 08/05/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Cool,i just got 2 Khat plants as well :-)
Its the young fresh tips youpick right?

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: Paid]
    #1783354 - 08/05/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Pick for what, usage? If so i've never heard that before.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1784210 - 08/06/03 04:35 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The whole leaves after leaving it in the sun

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1785363 - 08/06/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Leaving them in the sun dries them out and leaves you with leaves that have Cathine in them and very little Cathinone, Chewing fresh leaves have higher contents of Cathinone. Dried leaves would be used for a tea.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #1786344 - 08/06/03 07:33 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

What is that like compaired to caffine of ephedra?

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #1786353 - 08/06/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i don't feel anything from drinking coffee, and i've never taken caffiene pills. I find it similar to ephedra, and also khat contains ephedrine also but it's most noted and main constituent is Cathinone. I find it a noticeable up and a very slight uppy buzz that's it. Very mild.

Offlinebiglo
Shroomery BabySitter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: US of A
    #1786945 - 08/06/03 11:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A friend of mine is thinking about growing some khat from seed. Neuro, what way did you start those specimens? Peat pellets, or just toss em in some soil and water, soak? Also what kind of soil is it, POP (Plain old Potting), cactus mix, your special blend? Thanks for the info in advance!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: biglo]
    #1787281 - 08/07/03 01:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

oops my mistake - i meant (from www.shaman-australis.com):
'Khat is consumed in many muslim countries such as Yemen, Ethiopia, and Somalia, where other social drugs like alcohol and cannabis are denounced or even forbidden by religious law. It is almost exclusively consumed by males, as it is regarded as a gift from god, handed to a monk in ancient times to give him endurance in his all night prayers. While it is frequently consumed with coffee, its use as a stimulant is actually older than the consumption of coffee (Coffea arabica). The traditional way to consume khat is to pick a few leaves of a young shoot and to chew them slowly. Once the first few leaves are pulped, they are kept in the side of the cheek, where they will continue to be leached of their active constituents. Another couple of leaves are the chewed for a while and then the old and new is chewed together a few times and placed in the cheek again. This continues until the cheek becomes uncomfortably full at which point all is chewed again for a little while and then discarded. This process may take 15 to 45 minutes and ensures the maximum extraction of alkaloids. In the wetter regions, where the khat shoots are lusher and more tender it is common to also consume the soft green twigs. In the dryer areas, where the twigs are woody and bitter, only the leaves are consumed. Khat leaves grown in hot climates or those harvested in summer time are very potent. The very young and soft upper one or two leaves are usually quite weak in comparison to the ones a little lower down on the twig, where one leaf will already cause stimulation comparable with a strong cup of coffee, but with a lot more euphoria.
Khat is always harvested in the morning before the heat of the day, as the active ingredient is very unstable to heat. as soon as they are harvested they are bundled and wrapped in large juicy leaves, such as banana leaves to conserve moisture and to keep the khat cool. By lunchtime the khat would have made it to the dealers in town who sort, grade and rebundle their lots. The harvesting, dealing and sorting is almost exclusively left to women, who will also manage the income derived from the sales. The purchasing and consumption is almost exclusively the domain of the men, who will the spend most of the evening and night consuming the khat in large but intimate groups of friend and neighbours. Khat is also sometimes dried and then consumed as a pleasantly stimulating tea.
Catha edulis is consumed for it's stimulating properties, which are mostly due to the alkaloid cathinone. This alkaloid is closely related to ephedrine, amphetamine and methcathinone, and has a potency equal to amphetamine. Cathinone (and also the synthetic methcathinone) are quite unstable in any form other than as a 'strong acid salt' and as such extraction is virtually impossible without total destruction. The buffered conditions in the plant, room temperatures (or higher) and moisture are very conducive to the conversion of cathinone into the enol derivative. The enol is what gives khat its characteristic sweet smell. While it was generally thought that the conversion renders the plant material inactive, test have shown, that the enol itself has a stimulating activity similar to ephedrine, which is not surprising, as the enol is structurally almost identical to ephedrine (except for there being a double bond between the alpha and beta carbons). This enol is quite stable in the dried material and is also acompanied by a variety of more stable alkaloids present in both the fresh and the dry material. The traditional consumption of khat with coffee is not surprising, as cathinone has a similar synergy with caffeine as ephedrine and caffeine - the classic herbal ecstacy '

thanks Torsten!

--------------------

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1787369 - 08/07/03 02:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, thats sorta what i was told to do, pick the young fresh tips (as if picking tea) then chew them slowly, topping them up every now and then. Much like you would chew coca.
I hadnt heard you could use them in teas.

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: biglo]
    #1789756 - 08/07/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My khat hasn't come from seed that i've grown myself. My khat is from a cutting from a local herb farm. I have some seeds, but have had little time to try to germinate them. I would treat them like cactus seeds though when i do it.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1792164 - 08/08/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

my poor khat plant spent the winter in the garage (instead of in a corner of the basement with a fluoro-timer dealio) & frooze to death :frown: ...
(& i was gonna air-layer a few of the thicker stems for a some decent cuttings this year --- boohoo...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: gnrm23]
    #1796376 - 08/09/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

please pm me. this is about the only plant I really want but can't find anywhere. thanks

--------------------
...or something

Edited by neuro (08/09/03 08:32 PM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: Catha Edulis; Khat [Re: eve69]
    #1796544 - 08/09/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It's illegal, so you can't get cuttings legally in the US

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds