Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
pins growing slowly *DELETED*
    #1795385 - 08/09/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by zippoz

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

Re: pins growing slowly [Re: ZippoZ]
    #1795398 - 08/09/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How is she handling air exchange?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: pins growing slowly *DELETED* [Re: Darkmoon]
    #1795405 - 08/09/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by zippoz

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
Re: pins growing slowly [Re: Darkmoon]
    #1795411 - 08/09/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the temp seems ok.

what about air exchange and humidity?

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

#1795414 - 08/09/03 01:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

unfortunately the reptile gauge isnt that accurate, with pearlite the humidity is most likely close to 100% she might want to try fanning 6-10x a day or maybe just leaving the lid cracked a little it each day and see if that helps.

also are her cakes sitting directly on the pearlite or on something else on top of the pearlite?

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#1795418 - 08/09/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by zippoz

--------------------
PEACE

OfflinePsilocybin_monkey
Shroomer

Loc: Dragon's Den
    #1795423 - 08/09/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

yeah next time tell her to dunk/cold shock the cakes for 24-48 hours(NEVER past 48 hours because it could kill the mycelium).Most people dunk/cold shock before each flush and you see pins with in a few days and mushrooms have been known to get bigger when dunked.I always double end case the cake to give it good pinning points and keep the moisture level good for the cakes.

But for the time being your friend needs to increase the air exchanges.

--------------------
Welcome to my world!

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

#1795424 - 08/09/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ok thats good, you dont want to ever sit them directly on the pearlite. I would just tell her to fan more and see if it help or maybe even remove some of the pearlite? how much did she use and how much water did she put in it?

InvisibleGestaltAssault
Sam Kohui (c)

Loc: Here-->[x]
    #1795674 - 08/09/03 03:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

switch that light cycle to 12hours light/dark...

--------------------

i dont cultivate...i just post pictures, spread knowledge, and give advice
my brain's illegal because it contains DMT in the pineal gland, and so does your brain and everyone elses
the name's GestaltAssault not Get Us A Slut

OfflineDgrepo
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: pins growing slowly [Re: GestaltAssault]
    #1795715 - 08/09/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

why never set them directly on the perlite?

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
    #1795728 - 08/09/03 03:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Definetely more air exchange especially when using Perlite humidification. Not only does it help produce better mushrooms it helps produce more full grown mushrooms instead of many aborts.

Bob currently has an EQ cake that's doing wonderfully now that he's boosted air exchange to four times a day using perlite humidification.

Dunking does help and for EQ's Bob thinks a dunk of 12 hours is exactly right any more Bob noticed the growth is slowed a bit but it'll pick back up. Don't forget to spot dry your cake with a paper towel after dunking if you do that'll be another delay.

Good luck to your friend

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

Re: pins growing slowly [Re: Dgrepo]
    #1795734 - 08/09/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

like a wick, your cake will suck up or absorb the water out of the pearlite it is sitting on. This could be somewhat good (similar to dunking) however there is usually way too much moisture absorbed and definitely a huge increase in chance of contams.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#1798189 - 08/10/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by zippoz

--------------------
PEACE

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
    #1798325 - 08/10/03 02:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Your pins started on friday and haven't finished well thats three days I have pins from thursday that have just now reached the point right before the veil tears they are Eq's and Puerto Rican's. They are on average six inch long mushrooms with two inch caps it took them thursday till today sunday to mature this far and I will likely pic them tomorrow morning sounds like yours are doing alright some take longer, just make sure the ones you are complaining about are pins not aborts.

Do any of them have black heads or browning heads that haven't formed into caps?

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1798485 - 08/10/03 02:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Darkmoon said:
you dont want to ever sit them directly on the pearlite.

Not true, almost the complete opposite.

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: pins growing slowly [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1798635 - 08/10/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

Re: pins growing slowly [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1799523 - 08/10/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

actually very true.  Yes it can help by re hydrating your cakes but it also opens up the door to over hydration/water logging and also eventually will lead to bacteria and molds.

Not really worth it in my books but then again neither are cakes  :tongue:  try some casings and just get rid or the perlite all together!

I guess its all personal preference but especially if your new to cultivation i wouldnt recommend the extra contam risks it imposes.  Good luck all

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
    #1800317 - 08/11/03 12:27 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'd beg to differ on the contam part of things if done properly there is little risk for contam or water-logging your cakes. Bob's is on it's fifth flush and shows no signs of contams although the cake I fear is nearing exhaustion because you can see it growing mycelium on the mushrooms just slightly and it isn't due to humidity. Bob could probably case the cake you suppose................... though Bob's not exactly in an enviroment that would allow such a thing that be where the problem lies;)

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

Re: pins growing slowly [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1800438 - 08/11/03 01:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thats cool, did you follow any special tek or make up some guidelines of your own that work with good results?

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1800797 - 08/11/03 05:34 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

GestaltAssault is right, a light that's on 24/7 discourages growth, a 12 hour night/day cycle encourages growth :grin:

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: pins growing slowly [Re: OJK]
    #1800922 - 08/11/03 07:32 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Zippoz, in my experience having a water table retards hudification with perlite. I tried it and barely got any mist on the walls of terrarium. After rinsing it I didn't put in any more water and left it just kind of sloshy and it hudified like a mutherfucker. Combo that with Mageshes (I'm sorry if I spelled your name wrong dude :crazy:) poor mans pod sit the cakes directly on that perlite and you should get some fat shrooms. Most people are getting great humidity with hydroton but I switched to that and now my shit's bone dry :confused: Looks like I'll be going back to perlite. Peace. 

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
    #1800971 - 08/11/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well I started out following hippies dunking tek and just modified it in a few places, before each use I always spray my glad containers with lysol kitchen anti-bacterial multi-purpose spray and then wash it out and repeat just to be safe.

I then use only mineral water from a fresh jug(though on occasion I do have to use tap and it has some chlorine in it I think this takes care of the contam issue there.

I only dunk for 12 hours unless the cake is hella dry even then I always check it at 12 and usually end up taking it out. My cake has pinned one day after dunking but most the time it takes two -three. It really depends alot on if you spot it dry with a paper-towel I forgot to spot it dry once and this did slow growth. (but as was suggested here roll your stuff up in verm supposed to work really good but I haven't tried it yet) But I have never gotten contams from dunking not once so far.

InvisibleDarkmoon
Thinker

Re: pins growing slowly [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #1802944 - 08/11/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

ok wait, are you talking about dunking or sitting the cakes directly on perlite?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix