Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Inner Monologue
    #1794868 - 08/09/03 07:57 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

*raises knife to inner monologue*

stay down bitch

I realize that it is healthy to be at peace with your mind, but what are your thoughts on this approach to silencing those chattery thoughts that dont seem to serve any purpose but feed their own strength.

imo, the thing about inner monologue is it seems so damn necessary. like everything I perceive, I have to start constructing this big shopping list of what the meaning of it is. even as I'm typing this, I can feel it trying to get out and dissect and rip apart the whole concept behind even starting this thread.
it seems like things don't have any meaning at all unless I apply these little suckers to them.

but facts are facts, it's causing me mental anguish, and I don't feel like feeding it anymore, so I'm going to really focus on not entering into analysis too deeply, even if it seems like it has to be done.

I'm not sure where or when it first started, but I have a hunch it was not started from the sincere desire to figure something out, rather to apply as many layers to something as possible until my acid-drenched brain was satisfied with its complexity.

thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Grav]
    #1794892 - 08/09/03 08:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You say your inner monologue is constantly showing you the meaning of things, that doesn't sound like such a bad thing :smile:
But, if it's bothering you, shut it down.  Or force to the back of your mind, where it can root out the meaning of anything it wants, without bothering you about it.  Or you could let it, but only when YOU want it.  It will take work, but if it saves your sanity, it's completely worth it!

There are many different ways to focus, and strengthen your mind, while gaining control over the brain itself.  Meditation, certain martial arts, and the like.  The key is to first observe how your mind works, and then forcefully eliminate the thought processes you don't want.  Take control of your mind!

Don't waste your time and energy on thought processes you don't want or need.  Start rooting out the chatter that has no purpose, by ignoring it, and paying more attention the thoughts and chatter that is helpful.

Also, I don't know how many people will agree, but I don't feel that you don't need to specifically 'meditate' to train your thoughts to be more focused.  If you read a book, and become completely absorbed to the point that you aren't thinking about anything else, I think it has similar beneficial effects on the mind.  Or anything that forces you into 100% focus on the matter at hand.  Not everyone wants to sit still with an empty mind for several hours every day =P

So, I'm not entirley sure if you can completely eliminate it.  I haven't.  Maybe I just don't want to.  But lately I've been training mine to become more useful :laugh: 

--just my two cents canadian-- 

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
    #1794903 - 08/09/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

But yea, forcing your inner monologue to stay quiet, if your method works for you, then use it

Offlineololiuqui
LSD-25

Re: Inner Monologue [Re: fredthetree]
    #1794906 - 08/09/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Or you can always kick somebodies ass :evil:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Inner Monologue [Re: fredthetree]
    #1794926 - 08/09/03 09:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the thing is, i think it has gotten so out of control that I can't distinguish the helpful monologue from the useless... and the useless likes to disguise itself as helpful to my conscious mind anyways so i always tend to think that way.
I mean if i knew that it was useless I wouldn't bother with it... But since I don't have control over the process in general, I have to temporarily shut it down altogether and build it back up in a more balanced method.

I have nothing against inner monologue itself but i've just let it consume me. like Rhizoid said in another thread: "Let it talk to you but don't give it the car keys."

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1794959 - 08/09/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've been watching the way my mind has worked for a couple of years now, and also done some helpful reprogramming...
Everything that makes up our personality, the way we look at things and judge things, basically everything is programming. It is a great skill to be able to watch all of your thoughts and reprogram.. you're capable of accomplishing anything by doing so.. Any security issues, any sort of thing like that...
It is important to be able to have the analyzing, scanning that you are talking about at times, because you can effectively learn anything about how anything works by doing so, but it can also degrade your living experiences. You can't soak in the scenery, I guess, if your mind is going off on figuring out how a certain system runs...
It is best, I think, to be able to have good ability at keeping your thoughts nil or few, and at also letting them analyze and catalogue every thought from every input. And also, to be able to switch between both effortlessy.. enjoy the best of both worlds...
Good luck, it is well worth it to try.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1795007 - 08/09/03 10:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i know exactly how you feel. I cant do anything to stop it anymore. And just like you its hard to know where it started, i know i remember it before i did drugs... I remember being really depressed because of my searching around for answers within my life and hearing this monologue. Yeah man... ive learned lately... just as of late. TO just let some of this shit slide, and just be like... yeah whatever, go away, im gonna play some games... or im gonna eat. Maybe we have just spent way too much time.... Just Thinking. And its gotten us to spin off into its monologue internal wonderland. Its very hazy... but maybe its just something you got to push through. I realized that no matter how hard i tried i could never not accept this fact, so Ive had to swallow it... And its been a bitch. If its the biggest problem for you... then choke it.... Find your way to walk again, and see what new doors lay before you with that strange taste in your belly.

--------------------
What?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1795035 - 08/09/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Every thought we have, we choose to have, either consciously, or through some set thinking pattern that has been programmed...
Our mind, our thoughts, is OUR responsibility. It is all within our control... who else has access? Who else can force you to think anything?
Take active responsibility, and live the life that you truly want to live..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Anonymous

#1795048 - 08/09/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Man, I wish it was a monologue. For me it's a dialogue... no, not even, it's like a babbling crowd, all the different conflicting parts of me arguing over shit. Many different "I"s, each with their own agenda. If I could narrow it down to one I'd be all set. :smirk: 

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: ]
    #1795072 - 08/09/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It goes on all the time for everyone. I've always thought of them as the different aspects of me communicating - kind of like on matrix reloaded when he's in the architect's chamber and the walls are filled with little Neo's - I saw that as the different parts of him, his subconscious thoughts. Did you listen to them? The reacted to what they were saying, they were'nt just random things (at least that's how I saw it). Many people don't see it or find it really hard to focus in on them. But when you do, it's definately there. If they are bothering you, choose to ignore them and ask your subconscious (since they are your unconscious thoughts) to please tone it down some. Maybe try thinking of it like background white noise, and try to turn the volume of that down. Also thinking of it like that can help you to push it away, to distance yourself from it so you can pay attention to what's going on in the foreground.

Whatever you do, it'll still be going on, just subconsciously as it normally does for most people. One thing though, I've found that the longer I go without going back to the state of mind where I am listening to all the voices, the longer it can take to get back into that state of mind. So I would say, don't just figure out how to quiet them, then forget about them the rest of your life. They are a very valuable asset that many people don't even consciously realize exist.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Edited by neutralizer (08/09/03 11:11 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Inner Monologue [Re: ]
    #1795075 - 08/09/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Max Headroom said:
Man, I wish it was a monologue. For me it's a dialogue... no, not even, it's like a babbling crowd, all the different conflicting parts of me arguing over shit. Many different "I"s, each with their own agenda. If I could narrow it down to one I'd be all set. :smirk:   

This is the way it works for me, too, when all thoughts are going everywhere (I'm not too accomplished, yet, at limiting my thoughts to the essentials, so I can just perceive and expereince untainted...)

There are two main thoughts, I guess I could bring them down to "positive" and "negative". One group of associated thoughts is very centered and knowing (obviously, positive), and they allow me to be free of insecurities, doubts, and such... while negative is, how to say, the opposite (hehe)
    A lot of times, while attempting astral projection, or the feelings come on their own, the dialouges in my head become very dramatic... I guess it is the ego part of me, scared that I'll leave, that everything will never be the same here, etc... and the other side knowingly puts out its counter thoughts... the ego side, a lot of times, will identify the other side as being aliens, or evil spirits, and the other side does use the term "we"a lot...
    Doesn't sound healthy, does it? Even mentioning it makes it sound far worse than it is, it isn't schizo or anything like that (although, to help its case, the ego side will frequently mention that it will lead to it..) I guess it would, too, if one wasn't strong enough. I find it rather enertaining, actually, and think that it is a result of not having one-pointedness... it is funny that we identify us as individual, seperate beings, yet there are so many contradictions in our thoughts..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1795088 - 08/09/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

^^^Sums up my feelings on the subject.

I too experience it as a crowd of voices. And I too wonder that we are considered to be singular, individual beings when really it's like we're a nation of different voices having their thoughts/beliefs/desires represented by this physical body/our mind.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

Edited by neutralizer (08/09/03 11:09 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: neutralizer]
    #1795505 - 08/09/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I too experience it as a crowd of voices.

I think that the true meaning of holy (wholly) is to unite all these parts into one integral being.

Imagine the power of your decisions if all your energy was aligned, instead of at war with other parts of yourself!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineAmber
Stranger
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Swami]
    #1795781 - 08/09/03 03:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

One way to bring all these inner voices into focus is to give them one positive thought to concentrate on, i.e., meditation. However, this does not have to be a hermitville experience. It can be done while going about your normal, daily activities. First, compose a mantra. The Ishayas teach a mantra like: Praise (keyword) for my life, or Thank (keyword) for my body-world, or (keyword) loves me. Your keyword can be anything you have positive emotions toward, like God, Creation, Jesus, ice-cream, whatever. The point is to thus unite the emotional and rational parts of your brain with the mantra, and then introduce this thought into your mind chatter. Focus on it for a moment, but don't try to force it. The more you do this, the easier it will become to focus and silence the chatter. It's really restful if you lay down in a quiet place and close your eyes and do this for extended periods of time -- letting the chatter rise up, then introduce the thought, let it go, let the chatter rise up if it wants to, introduce the thought, and so forth, but it's just as useful to do during normal waking activities when you need some inner quiet (rush hour traffice, anyone? :wink:). The more you do it, the easier it gets. I'm sure there are other techniques, but this is one that's worked for me, and I like it because it doesn't really require any particular philosophy or belief system, it just works.

Amber

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Amber]
    #1795796 - 08/09/03 03:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I don't know much about meditation techniques, but I think that the unification of these voices can be achieved, as well the quieting of the voices. The goal of many beginning meditators is to quiet the voices in there head - I think that the quieting of these voices is a part of that process, though they probably don't realize it.

I think that in times of extreme focus and intent you can sort of unify these voices together kinda like Swami said. I think that's probably what a lot of meditators do, it probably has a lot to do with enlightenment, and I think it's what being "In the Zone" is, the unifying of these voices. Not all the way/complete unification, but at least it's a strengthening of certain "wills" inside of you and the bringing of them together that gets you to that level of focus, I think.

I haven't studied many meditation techniques, I kind of do my own thing. Actually a lot of it takes place when I'm dreaming.

--------------------

Edited by neutralizer (08/09/03 03:50 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1796110 - 08/09/03 05:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Imagine the power of your decisions if all your energy was aligned, instead of at war with other parts of yourself!

Exactly. You can't enjoy a good time on the town if you are worrying about the way you look, can't really pursue a romantic interest if you are afraid, if you are worrying that you are not good enough or that she will think badly or terribly of you....
It feels great when you can set these doubts, insecurities, indecisions, and image problems aside. It is as if you have tapped into a great well of power, as if you can be who you really want to be... it is revelationary.
It is completely natural to not have these things going through our head.. it is just that some people pick up bad habits, so to speak. Some are never exposed to people that have security issues and such when they are young, and never pick them up. There is no reason we can't reprogram and get rid of them, either. Nothing in our head should keep us from going out and being who we desire to be...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1796478 - 08/09/03 08:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

at times it is very hard to shut down this internal "mind-chatter" and pay attention to THE NOW..

I try and find a balance :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Strumpling]
    #1796571 - 08/09/03 08:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the voices in my head do not distract me.

the music in my head does...

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1796586 - 08/09/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Are you sure your not high?  :lol:  :laugh: 

--------------------
What?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1796615 - 08/09/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've been hearing music in my head for as longer than I've been consuming mind-altering substances, but my mother is an opera singer, so that could definitely have something to do with it :smile:

OfflineMonkah
abreactionsynchronicity
Loc: location? i exist somwher...
    #1800759 - 08/11/03 05:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

inner monologue, the seedling

growings necicary, flowering seems optional in humans.

this "insight" showed me how my breath controlled my monologue
it seemed as if i was taking two breaths for every one.
i could feel my chest expanding in two noticable motions in, and out.

the inner monologue seemed to be riding the cresent of each breath
almost parasiticly using the bodys breathing to borrow its inertia

breathing one smooth breath , in and out would stop this.

wasnt too long before it weasled into the sound of the breath
and no longer was it possible to concentrate without voicing the directory or inputs.

i had to let go,
feel the weakness of the monolouge,
feel it struggle to keep in control
feel the silence restraining a dilects momentum

like someone posted, the less used the less it is the standard in you.

it doesnt seem manditory to act either.
re-actions are equally protective in survival
and can be utalized in those almost inhibitted looking expressions.

yeah, me either.

--------------------
*NEW!* from Monkah Inc.The "Silence game" hold an exhilerating game between you and a friend,see who finds silence first! (warning:M. Inc. patented silence-in-its-self,failure to pay up will result in sending satan after you! err,we mean our laywer!)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Monkah]
    #1800765 - 08/11/03 05:04 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Monkah said:
breathing one smooth breath , in and out would stop this.

I just tried breathing continously, no pause between breaths, and it was hard to think about anything at all.... I was constantly aware of my breath, and my head started to ache, it sort of felt that something was wrong. Interesting..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1800916 - 08/11/03 07:28 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting Monkah,  how long had you been battling with this?

Since I started this post I've been fending the monologue off effectively.  The hardest times are when I feel like I have nothing underneath the mental chatter,  that it is my identity. 

I guess that is just something I'm going to deal with.  I've grown dependent on this hyperactive way of thinking so much that it seems a part of me, and it will take time to release that, but I fully plan to see this through.  I will not let that shit get the better of me even if I go insane trying. 

i've developed a relationship with a parasite.

thanks for all the comments guys  :thumbup:

OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

Loc: Rehab
    #1803116 - 08/11/03 07:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You could DEFINATELY interpret some of the more useless inner monologues as pointless. The brain often tells/implies things to you out of genetic instinct in order to facilitate it's own survival. Like pain, wanting to get laid, becoming hungry/thirsty, etc.

Thats not to say that inner monologue is BAD, but it wouldnt hurt to tell it to shut the motherfuck up every once in a while. That's most of the reason for meditation.

Remember that its YOUR slave, not the other way around. (Or is it?)

--------------------
Nothing is True. Everything is permitted.
Everything is true. Nothing is 'permitted'.

Every man and woman is a star.
Each star is it's own prison.

OfflineKiafi
Psychonaut

Loc: Rehab
    #1803126 - 08/11/03 07:24 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I just realized another good question would be: "What does your inner monologue(s) sound like?"

--------------------
Nothing is True. Everything is permitted.
Everything is true. Nothing is 'permitted'.

Every man and woman is a star.
Each star is it's own prison.

Offlineneutralizer
Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Kiafi]
    #1803157 - 08/11/03 07:34 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, good question. It is almost the same effect of reproducing what you read verbally in your head; I don't really hear a voice/voices, it's more like what I think telepathy must be like.

--------------------

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1803163 - 08/11/03 07:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"I think that the true meaning of holy (wholly) is to unite all these parts into one integral being.

Imagine the power of your decisions if all your energy was aligned, instead of at war with other parts of yourself!"
---------------------

Fantastic outlook Swami !!! :thumbup: 

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Inner Monologue [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1803427 - 08/11/03 09:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Things have definately been getting more peaceful internally.

There are spots I'll reach in my daily life where I'm like "wait a minute, wasn't I supposed to analyze something right about now???", and I'll just have to focus and block out that need for a higher meaning, and just concentrate on what's actually happening around me.

ooh but how it tries to sneak into my head... quite fascinating. it has this dull empty familiar feeling attributed to it so it's easier to spot now.

a year ago I would be convinced that I'm suiciding my soul right now, that's how much of a vile grip this monologue had on me.

OfflineMonkah
abreactionsynchronicity
Loc: location? i exist somwher...
    #1804673 - 08/12/03 04:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Interesting Monkah, how long had you been battling with this?

since i became "aware" of the aspects and limitations it imposes on me

but then i was made aware that "battling" as you put it,
was only feeding off my energy, and this continuity given more fractals to envelope throughly with clenching jaws.

whatd happend? laughed it off,

a thought pops in, continues, Ohh!
(meditation said so *sarcasm*) so i TRY to stop this process
stoping takes thought about the process to stop
the ways in wich its working/not working
a thought about how stupid it is to stop, continues thought...

and i would shrug off the whole thing with a huge laughing jolt
i got a kick out of this,
because if i let it get anoying, i might blow it out.

ive come to find, I cant stop it.
i can, ignore it.
i can, turn the music up and replace it
i can, change the "voice" heard into any musical note, sound, synth
i can, randomly and choaticly try to overpower it

but non of those actualy stop it,
more or less give You the "voice"
a feeling of acomplishing a feat.

one of my good friends use to say
"if i keep rambling like this, and let my brain do what it wants, something genius is bound to come out"
unfortunately he was just tricking himself into getting away with being "stupid"
wich isnt too bad if your into foly..

i replied once
"if i keep silent, everything that comes out of emptyness is genious"

i could go on for hours about this subject as it has far been the study of my "monologue" to better know the... there it goes..

--------------------
*NEW!* from Monkah Inc.The "Silence game" hold an exhilerating game between you and a friend,see who finds silence first! (warning:M. Inc. patented silence-in-its-self,failure to pay up will result in sending satan after you! err,we mean our laywer!)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1804751 - 08/12/03 05:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I find I can willingly silence it by just thinking to myself "You're doing it again, chill out".
to me there are thoughts that constitute direct action, and then thoughts that just prattle on endlessly. the former always serves me well.

I still think to myself quite often. As I'm typing this many thoughts are streaming through my head, thoughts on what I'm trying to say, how I should arrange this post, etc. But that is functional monologue to me. And the thought process will actually be GONE when I finish the action. I choose it's dynamics.

I'm just trying to get rid of a certain nasty aspect of it I've gotten too comfortable in, and which doesn't seem to be compatible with the reality I'm exeriencing.

If I was trying to rid myself of monologue altogether then I could definately see how fighting it would be a dead-end, because that "mission" becomes a whole world of inner thought on its own.

more thoughts would be welcome, monkah, you have an interesting take on the matter

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck