Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
UV sterileization
    #1794073 - 08/09/03 12:25 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

In the advanced forum, someone mentioned UV sterilizing air. Can it? I hate using gloves in a sealed glovebox and having to spray lysal inside. Im thinking that if UV light sterilizes air, then I could just use a cardbox box or something, have a small UV light on, and do stuff out in the open air. I did a search for this, and all I came up with was the thread where someone mentioned UV light causing genetic mutation, that would apear 2 or 3 generations down, is this true? And would it effect spores, or just actual fruits.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: UV sterileization [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1794600 - 08/09/03 04:57 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

UV lights are dangerous if used incorrectly, never expose your eyes to the light, that same energy that smashes up microbes can do quite an number on your retina. Best avoid it landing on your skin too. If you want sterile air use a HEPA filter IMO.

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
    #1794604 - 08/09/03 05:00 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

the new ionic breeze from sharperimage has a uv lamp in it, it works very very well to stop contams. it kills bacteria and mold spores and there is no smell in my apartment at all

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: UV sterileization [Re: MycoGlowFlow]
    #1794610 - 08/09/03 05:06 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ah, an enclosed light is if different matter, I have heard people say 'its just like a sun bed', it is not, the wavelength and engery levels used by sterilization lamps is a lot more harmfull, but if its enclosed I guess you don't have to worry.

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: UV sterileization [Re: psilomonkey]
    #1794899 - 08/09/03 10:47 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You know I was wondering the same thing to reduce contams in my tank but I think it might be a bad idea, atleast for the spores. If I'm not mistaken, and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong but those lights give off beta UV rays (it might be alpha, I can never remember) by electron decay I think alpha UV rays are induced by proton decay but it might be the other way around or it might emit both but I'm pretty sure they are emitted by elctron decay from jumping energy levels, I'm kind of fucked up right now. These EM waves are readily absorbed by DNA and breaks them apart thereby initiating programmed cell death (and sometimes skin cancer that's why we you're supposed to use sunscreen, it absorbs these rays)and hence sterilization. This however being indiscriminant might kill your spores. Again if I'm wrong I'm ALWAYS looking for some constructive criticism or little bit of education. Anno I'm looking at you :oogle:     

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

Edited by Flux (08/09/03 10:49 AM)

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: UV sterileization [Re: Flux]
    #1794991 - 08/09/03 12:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Thx for replys, any more imput?

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Re: UV sterilization [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1795020 - 08/09/03 12:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

If your talking to me or just anyone in particular I myself would not use them around spores. I myself debating on wether to put them in after the shroomes have already fully colonized/pinned. I really don't think you should use them when making spore prints/syringes or during original colonization. If you do use them later after the shroomes have stared to grow make sure to put reflective cover over top of it so it concentrates on the substrate and doesn't shine in your eye's like psilomonkey said. I have yet to do an empirical study on this so take this advice as purely hypothetical. Peace

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: UV sterilization [Re: Flux]
    #1795044 - 08/09/03 12:37 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

UV lights are used on swimming pools as an alternative to chlorine and i use an enclosed 25 watter on my Aquarium. It omits UVC light that would kill spores and mess up fruits really bad....It will clean air of a lot of contaminats because they are used in AC systems to kill bacteria/molds that accumulate in the evaporator coils condensate drain pan.You cannot use UVC lighting unless it is properly contained /shielded and only to cleanse the surrounding air. :smirk:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Re: UV sterilization [Re: TxTec]
    #1795098 - 08/09/03 01:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Your absolutely right TxTec, I wonder if you could use them as part of your air filter to cleanse the incoming air. Sorry I wasn't trying to misinform :crazy:, like I said it was just merely a hypothesis. 

--------------------

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: UV sterilization [Re: Flux]
    #1795155 - 08/09/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

High intensity UV lights are used all the time when working with infectious diseases. They work well, but unless it's only at about a couple of feet from the source it's not an effective means of sterilizing, by itself. It would be a great tool, though, but you'd have to buy one made for the job -- maybe from Nuaire or some other company that makes biological hoods.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #1797519 - 08/10/03 08:27 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

How would you sterlize the syringe (or needle) without killing the spores that way? And, I'm not really sure, but can you really just use a regular UV light? I was under the impression that a higher intensity light needed to be used. I've come across the sterilization boxes before, I've heard from a person that used it that it takes several hours before you can use it anyways.

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Re: UV sterileization [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #1797818 - 08/10/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I'd say get really good syringes, like Ryches syringes and PC the fuck out of them. As soon as you take them out suck IPA in them put them in a zip lock baggie until your ready for use. Boil some water squirt out the IPA and suck boiling water in them a couple times until your satisfied that there's no IPA left. I hope this isn't off topic but I think 2 experimental just want's to make syringes without using a glove box, not sterilize them. Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your statement :grin: 

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

#1799877 - 08/11/03 12:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It would be expensive but a UVC light incorporated with a Hepa filter would be pretty nice to have....The air or water being sterilized with a UVC light does have to have a certain amount of "Dwell" time,I have to adjust the flow of water thru my UV sterilizer for my Aquarium so it will have enuff exposure time to sterilize properly....There is a chart you go by to enable the right kill ratio of contaminates. :smile:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineIssius
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: UV sterileization [Re: TxTec]
    #12977876 - 07/30/10 07:24 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TxTec said:
It would be expensive but a UVC light incorporated with a Hepa filter would be pretty nice to have....The air or water being sterilized with a UVC light does have to have a certain amount of "Dwell" time,I have to adjust the flow of water thru my UV sterilizer for my Aquarium so it will have enuff exposure time to sterilize properly....There is a chart you go by to enable the right kill ratio of contaminates. :smile: 

You need at least 1 second of exposure.  2 would be better, and more than that is even better.  Problem is with airflow you its difficult to measure.  Using UV (HAS to be UV-C) would work in in a Hepa filter just fine I think as long as you had the air pass through like a 1-2 foot tube thats fully illuminated.

Another option:
A  glove box with a UV-C bulb on top would be fine for sterilizing the glove box.  You could turn it on before you begin work for say 5 minutes and that would ensure that the box would be sterile.  You should be able to use a syringe in this because UV-C is fully blocked by almost all plastics as well as glass.  You are also not in danger because the glove box would absorb the radiation.  However, don't look directly at the light for safety reasons.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: UV sterileization [Re: Issius]
    #12978023 - 07/30/10 08:07 PM (6 years, 4 months ago)

You know this thread is old enough to go to school, right?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation