Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

frivolous lawsuit.
    #1792411 - 08/08/03 04:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i just read this in the news...

Court: Faulty Tire Did Not Cause Murder

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Ford Motor Co. and Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. are not liable for the death of a 19-year-old woman killed by a man who gave her a lift after she got a flat tire, the Nebraska Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The court upheld a lower court ruling in a case stemming from the 2000 murder of Amy Stahlecker, a freshman at Wayne State College.

Prosecutors said Richard Cook, 36, of Omaha picked up Stahlecker and later shot her. Cook was convicted of first-degree murder, and is serving a life sentence. He remains the only defendant in the wrongful death lawsuit.

The woman's parents, Susan and Dale Stahlecker of Fremont, claimed in the suit that a Firestone Wilderness AT tire on their daughter's 1997 Ford Explorer failed, setting off the chain of events that resulted in her death.

The lawsuit claimed Firestone was negligent in making the defective tire and Ford was negligent in putting it on one of its vehicles.

The high court said the companies could not have foreseen Cook's criminal acts.

Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone/Firestone has recalled millions of ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires since August 2000 after federal safety officials found they were prone to losing their tread while traveling at high speeds.

At least 271 U.S. traffic deaths have been linked to the failed tires, most of which were sold with the Ford Explorer.

The Stahlecker's lawyer, Richard Rensch, said Amy might not have ventured out in the early morning had she known the tires were prone to blowing up.

Dan MacDonald, a spokesman for the tire company, welcomed the ruling but expressed sympathy for the Stahleckers.

``They had a tragic loss. Unfortunately, no legal remedy is going to heal their pain,'' he said.

now, it's terrible that this girl, these people's daughter, got killed, but what the hell is with this lawsuit? what were they thinking?

what a waste of time and money.... isn't there a law or regulation or something against lawsuits like this?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: frivolous lawsuit. [Re: ]
    #1792437 - 08/08/03 04:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That is horribly sad, but a ridiculous lawsuit for sure.

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1792545 - 08/08/03 04:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think anyone here would argue the tire company should be guilty of murder. That case seems ridiculous.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: frivolous lawsuit. [Re: Cornholio]
    #1792634 - 08/08/03 05:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That's why we need a system where the loser pays the costs for both sides.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: frivolous lawsuit. [Re: Cornholio]
    #1792640 - 08/08/03 05:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

By any strech of the imagination!...almost as stupid as trying to sue mc donalds for you spilling hot coffe on yourself...oh...wait....

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1792689 - 08/08/03 05:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What is really depressing about this story is that it refers to an appeal.

Not only was some scum-sucking lawyer able to manipulate a bereaved family into launching this ridiculous suit, but when they lost it, he was able to persuade them to launch an appeal!

What's next? An appeal to the Supremes?

pinky

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: frivolous lawsuit. [Re: Phred]
    #1792703 - 08/08/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

..the dark side of the American legal system. They would have got laughed out of the courtroom in Canada...and even if they would have won by some miracle, they would gotten next to nothing for money.

Although I must concede that frivolous lawsuits are becoming more and more common here.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion