Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Who do we think we are?
    #1791952 - 08/08/03 01:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Myself, I'll admit that I'd have coast right through life frowning on insight had it not been for my reckless, childish, and careless use of marijuana and other drugs. It's true that philosophy and spirituatilty became subjects of interest to me only after that acid trip, that mushroom experience, that bowl, that line, that pill.

Just as MDMA turned me on to electronic music, so did LSD turn me on to oriental philosophy.

And so I can't help but question myself when I start to feel that little bit of inspiration that arises when reading philosophical literature, studying eastern religions, meditating, etc. All of this came to me of ignorant acts. What is to say my spiritual probings are not a further exercise in ignorance and self-defeat?

Since I suppose many of us at this forum found our philosophical interests much the same way I did, I also ask this question of you.

I'll waltz around chiming this or that psychedelic cliche, or citing tidbits of wisdom absorbed from the pages of some book about Buddhism, but certainly I make a lousy practitioner. I'm as entangled in myself as the next person. Perhaps more than some.

Call it an identity crisis. What are we really dealing with here?

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Re: Who do we think we are? [Re: Ped]
    #1791976 - 08/08/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I understand completely where you are coming from but then again I wonder 'who and where would I be if it were not for these glorious drugs!' I believe everything happens for a reason. That acid you ate was supposed to happen, it had to happen and it did happen. Because of 'that' experience you became interested in Eastern philosophy. By using your drug experiences to better your waking life you have set an example to others of responsible drug use. I think we all fall into these paths eventually, psychedelics just seem to speed up the process. I often analyze 'myself' and feel that I too fit the cliche of the enlightened drugged out hippy but who's to say that's a bad thing. I think if anything you're more awake than those poor souls lost in their own puddle of confusion. But then again, those oblivious souls are able to distance themselves from the more complex issues and mind fucks that come out of drug use.

just my opinion

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #1791995 - 08/08/03 01:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Spirituality & Philosophy are what got me to try drugs. It doesn't matter what makes you think, I know people who've started getting into this because of near death experiences, loss of loved onces, drugs, boredom, a good movie. You name it, it can cause you to start to think for yourself and ask "What if?" and "Why?"

Because someone in Tibet talks about finding shambhala and bhudda finds a new way of thinking for himself doesnt mean you have to follow them. When people come up with the idea, think for yourself, you dont need to think like them. Do your thinking for yourself.

These great books, and religions will play a great role in what you believe, and so will communication between other people with simular beliefs, and not so simular. The idea is to mix, and churn our thoughts and come up with new ones, I don't expect these thoughts to make us gods. Its food for the brain, and good mental excersize.

You certainly don't have to live your life by what you read on some Tim Leary fan page.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Who do we think we are? [Re: tak]
    #1792028 - 08/08/03 02:06 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

When you tell yourself to question everything, you cant help but question your own beliefs. If you did not anylize every aspect of them, and come up with a solid answer for each question you could possibly ask about the validity of your faith, then you cannot be 100% sure. Im not quite sure what im talking about :wink: but the way I feel is trust your intuition, follow your first reaction, and let your heart lead you. Dont dismiss the thought that you ate LSD, it opened your eyes, and you saw that maybe these crazy foreigners had something to thier theories. You are in it for the truth, not because its cool. I dont see many easterners eating acid, and studying our ways of living :wink:

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineClover
phenomenal woman
Loc: Beyond the Veil
    #1894185 - 09/08/03 02:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ped said:
Myself, I'll admit that I'd have coast right through life frowning on insight had it not been for my reckless, childish, and careless use of marijuana and other drugs. It's true that philosophy and spirituatilty became subjects of interest to me only after that acid trip, that mushroom experience, that bowl, that line, that pill.

Just as MDMA turned me on to electronic music, so did LSD turn me on to oriental philosophy.

And so I can't help but question myself when I start to feel that little bit of inspiration that arises when reading philosophical literature, studying eastern religions, meditating, etc. All of this came to me of ignorant acts. What is to say my spiritual probings are not a further exercise in ignorance and self-defeat?

Since I suppose many of us at this forum found our philosophical interests much the same way I did, I also ask this question of you.

I'll waltz around chiming this or that psychedelic cliche, or citing tidbits of wisdom absorbed from the pages of some book about Buddhism, but certainly I make a lousy practitioner. I'm as entangled in myself as the next person. Perhaps more than some.

Call it an identity crisis. What are we really dealing with here?

I can so relate to this post!

--------------------
"Those sweet excesses I do adore."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology