Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDeviate
The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc)
    #17917236 - 03/07/13 04:25 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

The truth is we have all been lied to about smokeless tobacco (ST). We've all seen pics of people missing half their face and been told that this will happen to us if we dare to use this evil substance, a substance which was almost certainly conjured up in the pits of hell by the devil himself. Most of us probably believed it too. I know I did. After all, smoking does cause cancer and therefore the idea that cigarettes = lung cancer while ST = mouth cancer seems plausible enough. So like the ignorant masses, I fumbled my way through life believing in the lie that ST was just as hazardous as cigarettes.

However, one day, after learning that emphysema kills far more smokers than cancer, it hit me: ST must be one hell of a carcinogen, when you consider that in order to rival cigarettes in deadliness, it must find a way to off all those people it simultaneously saves from the slow agonizing death of emphysema. Only recently however, did I bother to do the research and confirm my hunch. Not only is ST far safer than cigarettes, it actually doesn't appear very harmful at all. The evidence that it presents any sort of significant risk for mouth cancer (or any type of cancer for that matter) simply isn't there. Here is some information:

Quote:
In one of the most remarkable marketing successes ever, anti-ST activists have convinced people that, "if I switch from smoking to dipping, I will just trade lung cancer for mouth cancer." In reality, switching from cigarettes to ST will dramatically reduce your oral cancer risk (and your risk of lung disease, heart disease, and many other diseases), and even if that were not true, the tradeoff would still be a good one because the risk of oral cancer for non-smokers is so low in the first place.
- www.tobaccoharmreduction.org/

Yes, you read that right. You are actually at a much greater risk of contracting mouth cancer from smoking cigarettes (which actually do cause mouth cancer, in addition to lung) than from ST.

Well Ok, but I know many of you will say that's great but I would prefer not to substantially increase my risks of any sort of cancer at all even if the risk is not as great as with cigarettes. How much risk is there if I were to use ST?

Quote:
It turns out that the evidence clearly shows there is very little risk. When looking at scientific research, it is necessary to look at all of it, not just one or two particular studies. As with most things we study in health science, the results vary. A few studies find that people who use ST have a higher risk for oral cancer but most studies have found that the risk is very low. Some even show a negative association. This is the same to say, if someone just picked out those studies and ignored the rest, they might conclude that using ST protects you against getting oral cancer. Of course, picking just a few studies with extreme results is just bad science.
- www.tobaccoharmreduction.org/

What about other potential harmful effects? Heart disease? Stroke?

Quote:
There may be some small risk, though there is no definitive evidence. Most studies of cardiovascular disease and smokeless tobacco have found no increased risk. However, because nicotine is a mild stimulant, it might increase the risk of certain cardiovascular outcomes, such as stroke. Many stimulants have been linked to some risk for fatal cardiovascular events. This does not prove that nicotine causes such risk, but it suggests that it is plausible.
www.tobaccoharmreduction.org/

Now I know what you guys are thinking. What about that guy we've all seen pictures of who was an ST user and got oral cancer?

Quote:
Just because two things coincide does not mean that one caused the other. These cases are almost certainly coincidences.
You can understand the reasoning behind this point without needing much math. In a large population (like North America), even if we are talking about something that relatively few people do (such as use ST) and a fairly rare disease (e.g., oral cancer), there will still be quite a few people who fall into both categories just by chance. For example, if 1-in-100 people are exposed to a substance, and 1-in-1000 people get a disease, then by chance (coincidence) alone we would expect about 1-in-100,000 people to both have that exposure and get the disease (1/100 x 1/1000 = 1/100,000).
That does not seem like a lot, until you realize that there are over 300,000,000 people in North America. So it is not strange then that you will find someone with oral cancer who used ST. There will be quite a few such people, just by chance. In our example above, 3000 people would have both the exposure and the disease by chance alone. That is why epidemiology (the science that explores whether a disease is caused by an exposure) always uses a "comparison group" (people who do not have the exposure) to see if those with the exposure have more cases of the disease. The evidence does not show that ST users have more cases of various diseases than the regular population, but of course they will have some cases.

Please see the source I posted for more information. Also feel free to do your own research. This just confirms what already makes a ton of sense: Inhaling smoke all day long every day is really bad for you and do yourself a huge favor by sparing your body all that smoke. Of course ST is still highly addictive, so I don't recommend anyone who is not already a nicotine addict to try it. Addiction is a bad thing, even when the substance you are addicted to isn't particularly harmful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Loc: TX Flag
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Deviate] * 2
    #17917267 - 03/07/13 04:56 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

American spit tobacco is full of shit, I wouldn't doubt if it caused mouth cancer.

Swedish Snus on the other hand, has been shown to even be beneficial to teeth

--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

OfflineDeviate
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Legend]
    #17917309 - 03/07/13 05:21 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I have only tried snus once but I seem to get better effects from American Brands.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Deviate]
    #17917363 - 03/07/13 06:06 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

One of the major problems with examining the harmfulness of cancer-causing agents is that ethically, you can't perform an a priori study of the incidence in humans.  Thus, all of the human data are correlational or case-control studies.

That being said, there are mounds of data demonstrating the carcinogenic properties of smokeless tobacco.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Deviate]
    #17917502 - 03/07/13 07:45 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

It does cause oral cancer, but the mortality from that is a lot lower than lung cancer. You might lose your lower jaw (in addition to your teeth), but you will survive.

InvisibleSynthe
Gatorade me, bitch!
Male

Loc: Three bags of Funyuns Flag
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Le_Canard]
    #17917605 - 03/07/13 08:31 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Personally I'd like to keep my jaw

--------------------

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #17917857 - 03/07/13 09:39 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

TL;DR but I think chewing dip is fucking disgusting.  It turns my stomach a bit when I see people walking around with water bottles full of brown, mucky spit they've been collecting throughout the day.  Ugh.  It's hard to sympathize with the eventual health problems they get from dipping.

OfflineGrimTroll
Cultural Terrorist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17917866 - 03/07/13 09:41 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

People still chew shwaz!?

Fucking Gross.

--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

Offlinebroken
455 member(s)
Male User Gallery

Loc: fuckyeah!
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Synthe]
    #17917935 - 03/07/13 09:57 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Synthe said:
Personally I'd like to keep my jaw

why?

--------------------
:willynilly:

Offlinetheonlysun81
Long Time Lurker, Recent Member
 User Gallery

Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: broken]
    #17917995 - 03/07/13 10:12 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

No one cares if ST gives you cancer or anything. But I personally have gone to West Virginia and seen extremely hot girls with a smile full of chew and I almost vomited. Its a waste of a pretty smile. So yea, I agree, fuck ST.

--------------------

InvisibleMcTwist
Stoned Stranger
Male

Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: theonlysun81]
    #17918135 - 03/07/13 10:50 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think oral tobacco is safer than smoking. Read this Professor's blog on the matter

Offlinempd
Lammen Gorthaur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mostly at home... Mostly....
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: McTwist]
    #17918260 - 03/07/13 11:24 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I grew up on chewing tobacco - Beech Nut and Brown's Mule.  My favorite was (of course) Red Man.  I switched to snuff when I turned 14. I chewed snuff until I was 22 and met my wife.  Then I chewed it off and on for a couple of more years.  It ate away the membrane in my front lip and I got an ulcer because I liked swallowing the tobacco juice (real rush when you do it).

This shit is terrible for your health.  Great nicotine buzz but big health problems come with it.

--------------------
There is no truer calling for mankind than that of true conservatism.

OfflineKremrBigSikter
Spränger Språnger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Legend]
    #17918272 - 03/07/13 11:28 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

legit27 said:
American spit tobacco is full of shit, I wouldn't doubt if it caused mouth cancer.

Swedish Snus on the other hand, has been shown to even be beneficial to teeth

My gramps stuffed his upper lip with Röda Lacket every day and had a nice big black hole above his front teeth big enough that you could see it whenever he laughed. It's not good for your gums. Satchels might not be as bad though.

Also it's not good for your stomach. Unless you spit.

--------------------
I have pneumonia :pm:

OfflineDeviate
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: theonlysun81]
    #17921639 - 03/07/13 09:18 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

theonlysun81 said:
No one cares if ST gives you cancer or anything. But I personally have gone to West Virginia and seen extremely hot girls with a smile full of chew and I almost vomited. Its a waste of a pretty smile. So yea, I agree, fuck ST.

Seeing a girl with a mouthful of chew would turn me on...

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

#17921672 - 03/07/13 09:23 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

It defiantly wouldn't turn me off, unless she had fucked up teeth and shit. And even so my highschool girlfriend had bad teeth and it didn't bother me at the time

--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
    #17921686 - 03/07/13 09:25 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I think I might make the switch with this new info. I always thought the risk of getting mouth cancer was remarkably high with dip. Its got such a bad rep I always thought it waws worse then smoking cigarettes. I've been meaning to quit for a while, this could help me make the final transition to kicking the shit. Thanks for the info! :awesomenod:

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
    #17921718 - 03/07/13 09:30 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Tobacco pickers have to cover their skin to protect themselves from exposure to the plant in the field. It ain't lettuce.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: mpd]
    #17921729 - 03/07/13 09:32 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mpd said:
I grew up on chewing tobacco - Beech Nut and Brown's Mule.  My favorite was (of course) Red Man.  I switched to snuff when I turned 14. I chewed snuff until I was 22 and met my wife.  Then I chewed it off and on for a couple of more years.  It ate away the membrane in my front lip and I got an ulcer because I liked swallowing the tobacco juice (real rush when you do it).

This shit is terrible for your health.  Great nicotine buzz but big health problems come with it.

The ulcers are key to the cancer risk. Constant injury to tissue is a huge cancer risk.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineUzziel
O_o

Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: koods]
    #17921825 - 03/07/13 09:46 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

What people don't realize is that cancer can come spontaneously... it isn't like "oh if you use ST your chance is lowered compared to cigs"

No not really. As you constantly damage your cells they have to repair and during the cell cycle check points (G1/S, G2/M) is when the mutations most often occur and if you are constantly damaging your cells with something like tobacco it will cause cells to have to constantly to continue to divide and go through the cell cycle, if you have working tumor suppressing genes such as p53 than it can help repair the DNA but not in all cases and if both p53s mutate or have some single point mutation that does not allow for it transcribe/translate it leads to a WHOLE MESS of problems which lead to tumors...

Not only that but if your p53 no longer works then neither does p21 which helps regulate cell division. So you now have uncontrolled cell division with no DNA repair and they override the cell cycle check points that would NORMALLY stop cells from just dividing. and there you have it, a malignant cell that will go off and form tumors and god forbid if it spreads to other parts of the body.

IF you think ST is safer than smoking or even somehow HEALTHY than you couldn't be farther from the truth.

InvisibleDawks
Jolly African Potato

Re: The Truth About Smokeless Tobacco (Chew, Dip, Snuff, Snus, etc) [Re: Uzziel]
    #17921847 - 03/07/13 09:49 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

>IF you think ST is safer than smoking or even somehow HEALTHY than you couldn't be farther from the truth.

Without even having examined any facts or looking at any research I'd bet good money that ST is safer than smoking. You're simply ignoring the fact that not all of the health risks associated with smoked tobacco come from cancer.

--------------------
date ; unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ; umount ; sleep

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order