Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
plant hunting (pics)
    #1791516 - 08/08/03 11:06 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

first up, the much acclaimed wild lettuce.

here we have the mysterious mouse eared hawkweed.

up my trellus now we find some early morning splendor

a trip to the city (lakeland plantworld in dartmouth NS) uncovered these little gems for $11 each. Datura, bigger than ive ever seen, leaves 2 ft long. i beleive the speceis is inoxia. (probably var. grandifloria)  the inner leaves are more characteristic than these monster fans.
i would have bought the tall one but it was all yellowed and needed more fert.

heres the one I bought, it can easily overwinter under flor light indoors, it can also be made into 50 smaller plants. im going to make a hedge next year all from these monster daturas, the flowers get 12 inches across on this particular beast strain, pods like softballs.

here it is back home, inoxia is identified by a velvety fuzz on the entire plant.

almost looks like something else with those massive fan leaves.
in my experience datura is a forky plant, this one is all central growth. i could MAKE it fork. all the daturas they were selling were cloned from a single mother. the idea of such a matriarch gives me the shivers.

foreground Datura metel (stolen from in front of mcdonalds in New Minas (they have many more) background Datura inoxia

nice shot of my 2 Datura metels  the strain is double purple.
it usually wilts in the day and gets better at night due to the shock of being transplanted (more like yanked up and carried 5 miles)
its starting to show signs of flowering soon (buds)
in the background is my Datura inoxia, foreground is a wild ground-cherry (also known as gooseberry) i transplanted, when i fisrt saw it i thought it was jimsonweed (datura stramonium) but then i saw the flowers, the fruit is rather tasty, it is a nightshade and looks alot like a datura. in fact it looks more like datura than my D. inoxia :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
old hand

Re: plant hunting (pics) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1791977 - 08/08/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Very nice pics! :laugh:

I just found a whole bunch of the lettuce today myself....Who would've thouhgt the weed ive been pulling from my veggie garden may have a use? hehe

But anywho...that looks like a Brugmansia to me...not a datura (the first couple pics of the one you just bought)

Green Thumb
Re: plant hunting (pics) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1803073 - 08/11/03 09:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So i got a plant and i was talking to a few of the staff and i got the boss after getting no answers. He is the one that brought the BURGMAISAS in i asked how do you know there burgs and not datura?

-"Well datura is noxiuos plant we can't sell it and beside the greenhouse i got them from said they were burgs.

How old are they?

-About 10 months from cuttings.

What color is the flower does it hang up side down like a bell?

-Well they where not taged as cutting but they could be cream or white. denpending on what plant was the cutting taken off.

Wll my plant flower?

-Most likey no.

What if i had it under fluros light will it flower then?

-Try cutting it back for the winter and wait next year.

So i wait. Well i was talking to the other staff befor i got to the boss asking do you have the seeds and she said the seed are posioisons
some kid was selling them as acid.

I seen some castor plants there in 3 month there 6-8 feet high just starting to seed i was interested to get one but passed.

DO what I Would

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden