Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Hiroshima mayor says world moving to war... [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1790562 - 08/07/03 10:39 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've heard a few times that the intelligence was saying that the Japanese were only days away from surrender.

I've also heard, and speculated myself, that the U.S. had wanted to use the bomb on Hitler originally, but the war in Europe ended before the bomb could be finished. They still needed to have an "operation test" so they nuked Japan.

Nothing for certain though, just some thoughts.

Personally...I probably wouldn't be here right now if they hadn't dropped the bomb. My grandfather was 3 days from shipping to the Pacific as a fighter pilot. He said the odds were not good that he would have come back. Kinda gives me shivers.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Hiroshima mayor says world moving to war... [Re: d33p]
    #1791098 - 08/08/03 04:13 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I find it quite interesting that the only time the Connies rush to the defense of a Democratic president is when he annhilates over 200,000 civilian men, women, and children. :confused:

Women and children . . . I wonder how long it will take for that to seep through your thick, protruding foreheads.

Below is a link to a site that has a good collection of documents relating to the events leading up to the decision to drop.  Recommended only for those who still know how to think.

Atom Bomb: Decision

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Hiroshima mayor says world moving to war... [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1791106 - 08/08/03 04:26 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a reprint of one of the documents in the site I linked. This is a memorandum by Ralph A. Bard, Undersecretary of the Navy, to Secretary of War Stimson, dated June 27, 1945.

MEMORANDUM ON THE USE OF S-1 BOMB:

Ever since I have been in touch with this program I have had a feeling that before the bomb is actually used against Japan that Japan should have some preliminary warning for say two or three days in advance of use. The position of the United States as a great humanitarian nation and the fair play attitude of our people generally is responsible in the main for this feeling.

During recent weeks I have also had the feeling very definitely that the Japanese government may be searching for some opportunity which they could use as a medium of surrender. Following the three-power conference emissaries from this country could contact representatives from Japan somewhere on the China Coast and make representations with regard to Russia's position and at the same time give them some information regarding the proposed use of atomic power, together with whatever assurances the President might care to make with regard to the Emperor of Japan and the treatment of the Japanese nation following unconditional surrender. It seems quite possible to me that this presents the opportunity which the Japanese are looking for.

I don't see that we have anything in particular to lose in following such a program. The stakes are so tremendous that it is my opinion very real consideration should be given to some plan of this kind. I do not believe under present circumstances existing that there is anyone in this country whose evaluation of the chances of the success of such a program is worth a great deal. The only way to find out is to try it out.

[signature]
RALPH A. BARD

27 June 1945

There were plenty of people in the government who shared this feeling, and Truman was no doubt appraised of this view. Many of them understood that nothing would have been lost at all by one trial demonstration combined with diplomatic overtures. It's not as if the idea had never crossed anybody's mind. Truman had a choice, and he made the criminal choice.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Hiroshima mayor says world moving to war... [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1791838 - 08/08/03 11:01 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the reason why there was no demonstration before the attack on Hiroshima is that they hadn't tested any uranium bomb before, and they only had material for one such bomb so they didn't want to "waste" it on a test.

The bomb dropped on Nagasaki was a plutonium bomb, the same kind as the one tested in New Mexico. It needed testing since it had a much more complicated detonation mechanism (implosion device). It's easier to produce concentrated plutonium than uranium-235, so the plutonium bomb was the prioritized one.

Of course the bombings were acts of terrorism, but they were not the first or worst such acts by the allies. The British bombing of Dresden has already been mentioned, and we know the Red Army used terrorism against both the enemy's and their own civilians.

Edited by Rhizoid (08/08/03 11:04 AM)

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Hiroshima mayor says world moving to war... [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1794532 - 08/09/03 02:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If these weapons continue to exist, and are not destroyed before they can be detonated, we will all be kissing our asses goodbye.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Hiroshima mayor says world moving to war... [Re: ZippoZ]
    #1794541 - 08/09/03 02:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:
If these weapons continue to exist, and are not destroyed before they can be detonated, we will all be kissing our asses goodbye.

Well if your ass smelled as bad as mine, you wouldn't be very thrilled with that prospect either.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]