Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMedicine-Man
Stranger
Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Violet]
    #25795254 - 02/06/19 02:01 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the write up Violet. I was wondering .... if you harvested the truffles in a SAB or in front of an air flow box to keep everything clean, could you use the remnants of the substrate (which is already well colonised with mycelium, right?) as spawn to start new jars? It seems a shame to throw it away, but maybe the risk of contamination would be too high?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Medicine-Man]
    #25796088 - 02/06/19 08:45 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

yes, you can fruit the substrate and get nice fruits also.  :super:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13431948#13431948

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisibleTwonkyD
Stones!
I'm a teapot

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: 13shrooms]
    #25796234 - 02/06/19 10:02 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Anyone had these survive over the winter outside?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: TwonkyD]
    #25796693 - 02/07/19 06:38 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

nah, in nature they are found down south in the US in georgia, southern texas, mexico etc..  the sclerotia form to survive drought seasons in warm weather areas.  not saying its not possible but it would be uber rare.  :smirk:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Invisiblerooted
Explorer

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Violet]
    #25797700 - 02/07/19 04:25 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Howdy. Somewhat embarrassed to ask this question, but I haven't found an explicit answer after reading the thread many times over many months. I've got several beautiful qt. jars 14 weeks old and ready to harvest/fruit.  Is there any downside to breaking up the myc and using a jar for G2G or G to LI before dumping the contents, picking the stones and fruiting? I'm a bit old and figure I could handle the shock - how about 14 week old 1st gen MS myc? Also, could a small stone serve the same purpose? Would it wake up in a fresh medium and resume colonization? Thanks for advice before I run with it!

InvisibleTwonkyD
Stones!
I'm a teapot

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: 13shrooms]
    #25800087 - 02/08/19 07:37 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I had it growing outside Minneapolis last summer, but got no fruits.  Pretty sure chipmunks/squirrels/rabbits ate all the stones. 

It was a long shot, but I still hoped something would survive the winter so I'd have the possibility of at least fruits if not stones.

I know someone grew them outside succesfully, but I don't know where they were.

InvisibleTwonkyD
Stones!
I'm a teapot

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: TwonkyD]
    #25800089 - 02/08/19 07:37 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I should say, I got no fully formed fruits.  There were plenty of aborts.

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Medicine-Man]
    #25805240 - 02/11/19 08:18 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Medicine-Man said:
Thanks for the write up Violet. I was wondering .... if you harvested the truffles in a SAB or in front of an air flow box to keep everything clean, could you use the remnants of the substrate (which is already well colonised with mycelium, right?) as spawn to start new jars? It seems a shame to throw it away, but maybe the risk of contamination would be too high?

I apologize that the cultivator that responded to your question answered as if you were asking about using the grains to grow fruits and not your actual question which was about reusing it as spawn.

The answer to you question is technically yes in a way that should actually tell you no.

If you pressure sterilized some kind of container to pour your grains into under sterile airflow, and plucked up the sclerotia with sterile forceps, you COULD then pour those grains into new sterilized media to recolonize like spawn normally.

But other than the unnecessary tedium, there are 2 reasons you wouldn't really want to do so. One, the mycelium on those grains have been sitting there for 2 or more months having switched through several life stages.  Two, the grains are going to both be more dry and far more consumed than spawn would be otherwise.  It's just not worth the work or risks or even sterilizing the pp5 pan.  If you already have spores or mycelium used to produce those jars to begin with, just revert to that source for fresher culture.

Quote:

rooted said:
Howdy. Somewhat embarrassed to ask this question, but I haven't found an explicit answer after reading the thread many times over many months. I've got several beautiful qt. jars 14 weeks old and ready to harvest/fruit.  Is there any downside to breaking up the myc and using a jar for G2G or G to LI before dumping the contents, picking the stones and fruiting? I'm a bit old and figure I could handle the shock - how about 14 week old 1st gen MS myc? Also, could a small stone serve the same purpose? Would it wake up in a fresh medium and resume colonization? Thanks for advice before I run with it!

The answer to your question is similar. There isn't any harm per se, but if you have a source of a younger culture, it should be better to expand from that.

If you're getting into agar, taking a stone as you mentioned in your clean transfer workspace, breaking it in half without touching the middle, and taking a sample of tissue from the exposed inside then placing it onto agar, is a good way to hunt for prolific stone-producing cultures.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

PODS TEK - Growing Invitro with BRF/verm or Grass Seed containers
The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #25809329 - 02/13/19 05:27 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
I apologize that the cultivator that responded to your question answered as if you were asking about using the grains to grow fruits and not your actual question which was about reusing it as spawn.

maybe if you answered in a more timely manner on your own threads.  :smirk:

key word SPAWN..  what do you do with spawn?  you spawn it to a bulk substrate or its not spawn its just a grain jar.  and what happens when you spawn to bulk?  you get fruits..  :mushroom2:

and its done all the time with sclerocia producers.  you can even use the grains to recolonize and get more stones if thats what you wanted..  but after you have your initial harvest you can let the grain recolonize for more stones or use it as spawn for fruits.  theres no resterilizing anything or tedious things to worry about because fully colonized grains dont contaminate just like a fully colonized cake or bulk substrate wont due to there is no food source exposed for a contaminant to germinate on. 

cultivation basics 101.  thats why its always recommended to birth cakes, spawn, G2G or fruit bulk at full colonization. 
I mean its covered in the lets grow mushrooms dvd series thats 15+ years old.  :wow:

and violet, those little shots you take dont go unnoticed, and you wonder why...  :watchingyou:

--------------------

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: 13shrooms] * 1
    #25809504 - 02/13/19 07:52 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Your semantics about the term "spawn" ignore the fact that the grains we call "spawn" is the same material in "g2g" and that's OBVIOUSLY what the guy was asking about.

You wanna call that a shot at you? Sure whatever. Not my fault you didn't answer the guy's actual question, Trusted Cultivator, but you didn't.

--------------------
Intentionally or not, here in mushcult we are purveyors of love culture and enlightenment movement. Let's try to act like it!

The simplest, quickest, safest tek!  For beginners, culturers, lazy people, stealth lovers, contam haters, and alternative seekers!
Violet's Teks and Posts

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #25809517 - 02/13/19 08:02 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

theres that violet twist on reality again.  :hehehe:

not my semantics, the actual mycological definition of the word spawn. 

merriam webster dictionary - spawn - noun : mycelium especially prepared for propagating mushrooms

and thats Mr Trusted Cultivator AND moderator to you.  :hatsoff:

--------------------

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

#25809524 - 02/13/19 08:09 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

If you're incapable of not taking it personally and getting riled up and attacking people when someone points out you didn't give the needed answer, give the needed answer next time.  Keep your incessant harassment of me away from this tek thread.

--------------------

Violet's Teks and Posts

Invisiblewhitewombat
Ancient Alien

#25809763 - 02/13/19 10:25 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome write-up my dude! :thumbup:

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #25810388 - 02/13/19 03:00 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Violet said:
If you're incapable of not taking it personally and getting riled up and attacking people when someone points out you didn't give the needed answer, give the needed answer next time.  Keep your incessant harassment of me away from this tek thread.

ah, the joy of being a moderator.  Its my job to watch all general cultivation threads.  all of them.  :super:

--------------------

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
    #25810451 - 02/13/19 03:37 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

So if one were to wait the 12+ weeks before retrieving the stones, would the remaining grain be usable for producing fruits to collect prints from?

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Failboat] * 1
    #25810454 - 02/13/19 03:41 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Yes you can use spawn as spawn after harvesting stones. No matter how clean you remove the stones I wouldn't try using it for g2g tho

InvisibleViolet
 User Gallery

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Failboat]
    #25810488 - 02/13/19 03:56 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quirkmeister92 said:
So if one were to wait the 12+ weeks before retrieving the stones, would the remaining grain be usable for producing fruits to collect prints from?

Yes, that's exactly what I do in this tek post :] harvest the sizable stones, dump the grains in a tote to reconsolidate and fruit with a casing layer. More water helps too though. Grain "dunking" or adding some bulk substrates likely will increase yield of fruits and stones both, but if the grains don't seem too dry, personally I tend to prefer to just dump the grains in and let them go from there. It has done well for me like this a number of times, especially if you just really want some decent prints.

--------------------

Violet's Teks and Posts

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25810651 - 02/13/19 05:06 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Yes you can use spawn as spawn after harvesting stones. No matter how clean you remove the stones I wouldn't try using it for g2g tho

Is it a case of being quick when G2G ing these?

OfflineMalldee
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#26233254 - 10/06/19 10:15 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

I know this is super old, but I just wanted to thank you! This has helped me out a lot. Awesome TEK! :heart:

OfflineMelgo
Semperviva Fanatic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Western Europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TRUFFLE TEK - Guide to psychedelic sclerotia and their mushrooms [Re: Malldee]
    #26299641 - 11/04/19 10:32 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Hello Violet,

I have seen that you have updated this tek on the 07/21/19.

The major change I have noticed is about the grain prep.

Previously, you advised to use coffee. You said to mix coffee with water, bring the liquid to a hard boil, and then pour it on the grain. Leave it soaking for 24 hours, before draining it and loading it into jars. Then wait for a few hours for spores to germinate on grain before PC.

All of this is now gone in favor of “boiling” the rye, waiting for it to stop steaming and then PC it. No more mention of coffee anymore.

Could you please explain the reasons for the change in procedure?

Couple of times I did the grain prep without coffee, and I didn’t get my sclerotias in 12 weeks – more like in 24.

I am asking because your truffle tek is the only growing method I use and have been using for 5 years now. The reason being I find it great compare to other methods I have read about - and have no time to try other methods atm (I have 2 jobs and a young family).

Thanks again for this tek!

My kindest regards.
Melgo.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next >

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds