Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline284_27
Indocybin

solar pasturization ?
    #1716466 - 07/14/03 10:04 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Has anyone thought about sticking soaked substrate in a car during the heat of the day ? The news keeps telling us that the insides of a car appoach 170 degrees . Should be plenty hot enough to do the trick .

--------------------
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Fly high and I will meet you there .
- Timothy Leary

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecerealrat
Stranger
Re: solar pasturization ? *DELETED* [Re: 284_27]
    #1716535 - 07/14/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by cerealrat

Reason for deletion:  

Offline284_27
Indocybin

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: cerealrat]
    #1716611 - 07/14/03 10:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

if it is in a sealed plastic bag ?

--------------------
- Thomas Jefferson

- Timothy Leary

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: 284_27]
    #1716865 - 07/14/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Water's a pretty good insulator so it'll usually take a lot longer to heat up than the air surrounding it. You'd prolly have to stick a thermometer in the substrate and check the temp over the period of time it takes to pasteurize it, and also somehow mix it at the same time. If you're talking about a large amount it'll prolly take a while to heat up to the temperature you want, and the inside will most likely be much cooler than the outside if it's sitting still. Might be best to add somewhat hot water (not too hot) to counter this time difference (but keep in mind the plastic bag will be more fragile when hot.)

170 degrees sounds really hot, too, even for the inside of a car during the summer. I don't know for sure, but it seems like this would be an extreme case. I don't doubt it could happen, though. As long as you could get it hot enough, and kept it somewhat isolated from all the crap in your car if it's as messy as mine, I don't see why this couldn't work.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Offlineneutralizer
Spiritual beinghaving a Humanexperience
Loc: This Planet Earth
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: micro]
    #1717039 - 07/15/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Come to Texas in the blazing summer...

Why couldn't you do it in a rubbermaid container? Shouldn't be too hard to prop it so that it sits upright.

--------------------
There are things known, and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors - Morrison

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1717071 - 07/15/03 01:29 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinecomario2
amateur

Loc: between places
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: Anno]
    #1718337 - 07/15/03 01:40 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

wow! whiskey bottles, and shorgum seeds .... we'll have to give it a shot

--------------------
comario

"crusaders against emotional poverty"

Offline284_27
Indocybin

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: comario2]
    #1718569 - 07/15/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Anno , thank you . That site is awesome ,lots of good reading.

--------------------
- Thomas Jefferson

- Timothy Leary

Offlinekurupira
Hyperspacer
 User Gallery

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: Anno]
    #1721091 - 07/16/03 09:39 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

excellent Anno, excellent!

--------------------
Have you ever been Hyperspaced?

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: kurupira]
    #1780942 - 08/05/03 08:13 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

great link, anno.
i think i'd seen it once before but neglected to save it,
now a favorite.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: Hippie3]
    #1781530 - 08/05/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Incredibly interesting anno, but how is that contraption made? They don't explain anything about it, so it must be somewhat common in certain parts of the world.

Anybody got any info on a solar oven of that size?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: mycofile]
    #1784895 - 08/06/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Very good topic!!! Harnessing the power of the sun is a great and simple idea. It does have a few draw back such as time and being dependent on sunny day.

Here is an "idea" for a small solar pasturizer. I stress this is an untried idea, but it should work none the less because it's based off a good understand of solar power.

(1) Clear Tote Box with lid.
(1) Can of spray paint for plastic. Black
(1) Compass or at least know which way is North and South.

Ok you'll first want to spray paint the lid black. You really only to paint the part that faces into the tote. This will serve as the bottom of the "solor pasturizer". The rason for the black is it attract heat but I'm sure you already knew this.

Next you'll want to take one of the longer sides of the tote and spray paint that black as well. When you put the tote on the lid it should sit up side down and the top should be clear as well as 3 connected sides. The bottom and what we are going to call the back of it will be black.

Now that we've got a "solar pasturizer" let's go about setting it up properly. There are 2 ways of setting this up and it depends on where you are located relitive to the Equador. Since I'm located North of the Equador that's the instructions I'm going to lay out. If you should live South of the Equador just reverse the North and South.

To harness the power of the sun you need to work with it. Unlike a light bulb you can't move the sun so you need to work with the path of the sun. Find a spot where the "solar pasturizer" will get sun all day long. Next you'll want figure out which way is North and South.
You want to have the back to the north and the clear sides facing East, South and West.

Load your "solar pasturizer" up making sure that all of the black isn't completely covered up and let it sit ALL day long.

Anonymous

Post deleted by papaver [Re: MicronMagick]
    #1785730 - 08/06/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineSirHaze
Stranger
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: ]
    #1787510 - 08/07/03 05:20 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

how about using large black plastic bags, fill them with straw/dung and just leave them in the sun for a day or two??

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: SirHaze]
    #1787630 - 08/07/03 07:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

i don't think it'd work well for any substantial amounts unless you spred it out real thin so the sun could pentrate.
straw is a very good insulator from heat, that's why folks use it as animal bedding in winter on farms, etc.
any block of straw very thick would take forever to reach pasturization temps in the core, proly longer than the daylight lasts.
the wetness would help a bit, but then the outer layer would dry out and begin to insulate the interior, even with other bulks like manure that would be true.
so hot water which easily penetrates right to the core, with added bleach and lime, would still be far more effective.
at least, that's my guess.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Edited by Hippie3 (08/07/03 07:15 AM)

InvisibleMicronMagick
old hand

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: SirHaze]
    #1787720 - 08/07/03 08:36 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SirHaze said:
how about using large black plastic bags, fill them with straw/dung and just leave them in the sun for a day or two??

By themselves it proably wouldn't work because the heat can escape. Now if you were to put a clear tote over it and leave room for plenty of hot air to build up around the substrate and it should work. Just as the bag isn't too big.

The thing about pasturizing or cooking with solar is the temperature of what's being cook doesn't jump up nearly as quickly. Which is why it takes all day to cook a chicken.

Quote:

Hippie3 said:
any block of straw very thick would take forever to reach pasturization temps in the core, proly longer than the daylight lasts.

Well if you've every made compost you'll know that wet straw and dung actually generates heat at the core. It can reach temperatures of 180F. Now there are other factors that allow the temps to get this high. But that's what the sun is for.

Now I don't think that anyone would agrue the fact that the hot water bath is a more effective way of pasturization. But as a tree hugging hippie I am all for alternatives that help preserve our natural resorces and that's what this thread is about. I think anyway. Imagine if things actually turn out the way they were in that Mel Gibson movies where the water was almost all gone. This would be the only way to do it. lol

Here is the direct link to the solar pasturizer in Anno's link.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/AB497E/ab497e07.htm#bm7.7.3

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: MicronMagick]
    #1788697 - 08/07/03 01:37 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

maybe be good to just use the sun to heat the water,
best of both worlds.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: Hippie3]
    #1788824 - 08/07/03 02:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I also liked Anno's post, but it seems that contraption uses fire if im not mistaken

you have to read through the link. There are three options for pasturization, boiler powered, fire powered, and solar powered.

Hip, that thing they show a picture of is chock full of substrate. It evidently works, it they wouldn't be using it and writing about it. Granted there are some differences in it and the design that MM's talking about, but the point is that a solar oven is a viable alternative.

I do like the idea of using the sun to heat the water. I could see a solar pasturizer like the one shown in the tek being more convenient due to size though. Not like that's relevant to home cultivators, but you just load it up and forget it. It would take all day to pasteurize that amount of material in a 55 gallon drum.

Also, if anybody wants to experiment with MM's idea, I'd use a hi/low logging thermometer in there. Radio shack sells one that goes up to 149* F, and has a remote sensor one it. That way you can tell if your oven gets too hot, or doesn't get hot enough.

Only about 140 for at least 4 hours should be sufficient as that's the recomended time for steam past. although maybe a little longer since dry heat isn't quite as effective as steam.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offline284_27
Indocybin

Re: solar pasturization ? [Re: mycofile]
    #1789326 - 08/07/03 04:41 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Just a note to all you wonderful people , I surely appreciate the input and new ideas . Just one reason that the shroomery is such a great place . KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
- Thomas Jefferson

- Timothy Leary

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #1790156 - 08/07/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I dont doubt this soloar pasturazation stuff. I used to live in florida, and on a hot day, you could seriously cook an omlet on any black topped roads. Im sure it gets even hotter in arizona/ect... I'm glad you brought up this great idea.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate